#1 mr_

mr_

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

DR-DOS uses another entry point then MS-DOS and FreeDOS, therefore direct chainloading DR-DOS's io.sys isn't working.

In meanwhile, what's the most easy workarround to multiboot DR-DOS on a shared partition?

Can I somehow extract the bootcode and chainlod this? I would like to have it not MBR dependant so I can copy the files and use it anywhere (CD, other harddisk and so on).

#2 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

DR-DOS uses another entry point then MS-DOS and FreeDOS, therefore direct chainloading DR-DOS's io.sys isn't working.

In meanwhile, what's the most easy workarround to multiboot DR-DOS on a shared partition?

Can I somehow extract the bootcode and chainlod this? I would like to have it not MBR dependant so I can copy the files and use it anywhere (CD, other harddisk and so on).

Due to its complex structure, the DR-DOS kernel cannot be chainloaded directly.

You may try to get the DR-DOS boot sector(and save to a file), and this is expected to be chainloadable.

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

Again, NO OS is MBR dependant, any OS is bootrecord (bootsector of partition) dependant.

This problem is nicely solved by grub4dos by running an image on CD, hard disk, etc.

On hard disk, you can save the bootsector or create one using the utilities I pointed you before:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=6487&st=1
and chainload the bootsector with grub4dos.

Particularly, you could see if the code produced by bootpart.exe with OPENDOS parameter is compatible with DR-DOS:
http://forum.winimag...topic.php?t=276

jaclaz

#4 mr_

mr_

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

Yes, chainloading the bootsector works. :cheers:

#5 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

The work of chainloading DR-DOS kernel had been done by Roy in 2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users