#1 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

POPULAR

To boot vdisk file (vhd/vdi/raw ...with a Linux distro in it) on a real machine.

Features:
  1. It's very simple to create such a vdisk file (just normal install and run a script).
  2. The Linux OS runs on a physical machine, not in a virtual machine, so there is no loss in efficiency.
  3. One vhd/vdi file can be booted in both Legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode.
  4. The Linux OS does not need a disk or partition, just in a file. For example, Windows is your main OS, and you put some Ubuntu/Debian/Arch... VHD files in D:\  You can boot any of them as you want. If you don't need it anymore, just delete it as a normal file.
  5. You can put vdisk file at USB/HDD and boot from Ventoy
  6. You can also boot vdisk file with your current bootloader (e.g. grub4dos/grub2/rEFInd).

CentOS7/8/Deepin/Fedora/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/MX Linux/Kali/Manjaro/Archman/Mageia/openSUSE ... supported.

For more details, please refer:

• wimb, Tokener, alacran and 2 others like this

#2 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2303 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:12 AM

Also linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso (1.3 GB) can be booted from a VHD.

JFYI

Hi, I'm writing this from my Linux-Lite.vhd.vtoy, made from linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso (1.3 GB), it fits on a 10 GB VHD and still has 2.3 GB free.  As another derivative of Ubuntu like Linux-Mint, it is also able to be loaded by grub4dos (as MBR) and by Ventoy or a1ive's grub2 (as MBR or UEFI), by means of vtoyboot-1.0.8 + vdiskchain 1.2, just booted it now as MBR, haven't tested to boot as UEFI yet, but it was installed and booting fine as UEFI on VirtualBox.

I could not say we can compare this size with the size of my Mini-10x64.vhd (2.3 GB), but at least it is easier to handle than my Linux-Mint.vhd.vtoy (20 GB).

If compressed with 7-zip (Max.) for easy transport it, the final size is about 1.63 GB. Of course to boot it is required to decompress it on the final location.

alacran

• ZEE likes this

#3 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

To boot vdisk file (vhd/vdi/raw ...with a Linux distro in it) on a real machine.

Features:
  1. It's very simple to create such a vdisk file (just normal install and run a script).
  2. The Linux OS runs on a physical machine, not in a virtual machine, so there is no loss in efficiency.
  3. One vhd/vdi file can be booted in both Legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode.
  4. The Linux OS does not need a disk or partition, just in a file. For example, Windows is your main OS, and you put some Ubuntu/Debian/Arch... VHD files in D:\  You can boot any of them as you want. If you don't need it anymore, just delete it as a normal file.
  5. You can put vdisk file at USB/HDD and boot from Ventoy
  6. You can also boot vdisk file with your current bootloader (e.g. grub4dos/grub2/rEFInd).

CentOS7/8/Deepin/Fedora/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/MX Linux/Kali/Manjaro/Archman/Mageia/openSUSE ... supported.

For more details, please refer:

Documentation for your tool sucks.  Sucks terribly.  Makes absolutely no sense.  And, I've done everything exactly like it says no linux will not boot from a raw image of any kind with ventoy from an ntfs partition.  50+ tries and nothing. 

probably doesn't work because the documentation SUCKS A BIG ONE!

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3473 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:06 AM

UEFI Secure Multi-Boot of Windows 10 and Linux in VHD using Grub2 and viskchain was realised and described in

How to make Linux VHD for Multi-Boot with Windows using Grub2 and vdiskchain

in VHD_WIMBOOT PDF page 10 and 11 (Experts Only if you know what you are doing ....)

-  KALI Linux has 600 Forensic and Penetration Testing Tools and is based on Debian Linux

More Info 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, vhd, vdi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users