Photo
- - - - -

Bad News for some Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Your antivirus is the one which protects your system (303 member(s) have cast votes)

What antivirus do you use? (Only AV resident, no antispyware)

1. Avira (27 votes [8.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

2. BitDefender (3 votes [0.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.99%

3. eScan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. ESET (47 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. F-Secure (2 votes [0.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.66%

6. G DATA (6 votes [1.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

7. Kaspersky (35 votes [11.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

8. Miscrosoft Security Essentials (64 votes [21.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.19%

9. Panda (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Sophos (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Dr. Web (3 votes [0.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.99%

12. Symantec Norton (16 votes [5.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.30%

13. AVG (19 votes [6.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

14. PC Tools (1 votes [0.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.33%

15. K7 (1 votes [0.33%] - View)

16. avast! (59 votes [19.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.54%

17. Trend Micro (1 votes [0.33%] - View)

18. Mcafee (4 votes [1.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

19. Trustport (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Other: Webroot / Qihoo ¿? (14 votes [4.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Take a look at the review:

On-Demand Comparative (February 2011): avc_od_feb2011.pdf

Retrospective/Proactive Test (May 2011): avc_retro_may2011.pdf
Source: http://www.av-compar.../detection-test

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

This poll wont show the people that use more then one AV. Its hard to measure with this survey. Not everyone that uses an AV will vote.

#3 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

This poll wont show the people that use more then one AV. Its hard to measure with this survey. Not everyone that uses an AV will vote.

The idea is to choose the primary antivirus, resident. Everyone always use more than one, especially when a virus enters in our system and our antivirus does not recognized it yet.

Do you have more than one antivirus resident?

Edited by u2o, 20 June 2011 - 03:06 AM.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi u2o,

I noticed that you placed this topic at the news forum section, usually it is reserved for announcements.

For polls, we have the "vote!" forum section, I've moved your topic to this section.

----------

In regards to your question, I use AVG primarily and then the panda cloud antivirus. They're both free and work every now and then.. :1st:

#5 murphy

murphy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

I use ESET on my windows machine and ClamXav on my mac.

Cheers, murphy

#6 trumpy81

trumpy81

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

GDay All,

I use Microsoft Security Essentials because of it's small footprint, it's free and it works very well. Since I first installed it, when it was first released, I have not had one false positive which I did have constantly with my previous Anti-Virus, Avast!.

MSE also doesn't add any USELESS firewalls or any other rubbish to clog up the system. It monitors .exe execution in memory, so wayward programs are captured and disabled before too much damage is done, and if any damage is done, MSE will insist on a reboot and it will then repair the damage as the system is rebooting. I don't think any of the other A-V's do that, or at least do it well, MSE does.

For peace of mind, I also run ClamWIN (for double checking downloaded files) and Spybot Search & Destroy (for warding off internet based threats).

It's been a Longggggggggggggg time since I've had to repair any of my computers because of Virus induced damage.

Of course, common sense also plays a BIG part in warding off those that seek to disrupt ... lol

YMMV

#7 wes

wes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

you forgot to add Sunbelt software's VIPRE
www.sunbeltsoftware.com
this is the best one i have used and it is better then most of them out there.
they also have a free scanner that you can put on a bootable CD and scan it. i think it was called the safety scanner.

Edited by wes, 22 June 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#8 easge

easge

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

We use Sunbelt Vipre, and can say that after testing 'all' other options it comes out tops, nothing seems to be able to get through. Even when going to known bad sites with malicious code.
For clients we use Microsoft security essentials which seems to be better than any of the free options out there.
AVG serves little point as most things pass it, and it tends to be a hog.

#9 jasontmarion

jasontmarion

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

I use Avira professionally. I have tested about 15 different free and paid anti-virus software out there against Avira. None of them came close to finding and removing viruses like Avira. I run a 12 bench lab, and I am always slammed with work. I copied around 30 different virus in put them all over the operating system (on a clean install) in the system32 folder in hidden folders in the registry anywhere a virus would be hidden. Created a system restore so the virus's can get in the system restore. Run all 15 anti-virus software one at a time (uninstalling each one as I go) AVG, AVAST, MSE, Kaspersky, (free ones) Norton, Mcafee, Trend Micro, Vipre, (paid) these were just a few of the 15 I selected for my test. These were what the customers used when they brought there computer in to get the virus's removed they had one of these antivirus software installed. Granted there is no anti-virus software out there that will work 100% all the time if were, they would be making billions and there would not be so many anti-virus to choose from. But the result of my test concluded that Avira is the better chose for me to use.

I read somewhere that there are approximately 20,000 new viruses’s being created everyday. It's a war out there. Here is a nice statistic if you are interested. http://www.kaspersky...apter=146437529

You might have to copy and paste the link into your web browsers.

FYI: it's been my experience that you should only use one virus software at a time. Removing the previous on before installing the other one. All anti-virus software are virus’s. It's like the old saying; you have to be thief to catch a thief. The virus software has to be a virus to catch a virus. If you have two installed they will fight with each other.

Just my two cents worth....

#10 Wh1t3c0d3r

Wh1t3c0d3r

• Tutorial Writer
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I'm an enthusiast PHP programmer working as an IT technician (level 2) for a small company that create software.
    I love to help and teach things to people for free (if possible)
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

Me, I use "BitDefender Total Security" so I don't need to install another software (especially when they are in conflict). I recommend this antivirus-antimalware suite to those who care about security and want only one protection software installed.

#11 Str Vali

Str Vali

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

Notebook Dell vostro 1500 win7 prof with Avira Premium 2008-2011 & BitDefender Total Security in last week
Desktop intel core2duo L2 4mb, 4gb ram, XP prof. Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Free

#12 BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

I voted for Kaspersky, as I am using it right now and I love the new 2012er version. But for a free AV I prefer Avast.

#13 Beastlee

Beastlee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

Swear by Avast! Free Edition, I've been using it for 12 years now and never once got a virus. It does gove false positives but I'd rather a few of them, which are easy to rectify, than get a virus.
I like the new sandbox feature, useful for running apps that could be potentially harmless or that you just want to test wihtout really installing.

#14 Meathammer

Meathammer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Had to choose "Other" since mine is not listed. I use Vipre on all of my PC's including my server. I've had zero issues with it and I love the home site licensing.

#15 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi u2o,

I noticed that you placed this topic at the news forum section, usually it is reserved for announcements.

For polls, we have the "vote!" forum section, I've moved your topic to this section.

----------

In regards to your question, I use AVG primarily and then the panda cloud antivirus. They're both free and work every now and then.. :cheers:

Sorry :thumbup: and thanks!

you forgot to add Sunbelt software's VIPRE
www.sunbeltsoftware.com
this is the best one i have used and it is better then most of them out there.
they also have a free scanner that you can put on a bootable CD and scan it. i think it was called the safety scanner.

We use Sunbelt Vipre, and can say that after testing 'all' other options it comes out tops, nothing seems to be able to get through. Even when going to known bad sites with malicious code.
For clients we use Microsoft security essentials which seems to be better than any of the free options out there.
AVG serves little point as most things pass it, and it tends to be a hog.

I did not know of its existence, sorry, I can't change the Pool now.

//-----------

I use Eset Antivirus, the free. For manual scans I use DrWeb CureIt. Here in Argentina the original software is very expensive. Each dollar unit is equivalent to four of our currency ($ Peso).
I also use Spybot and SpywareBlaster to control dangerous web sites and Comodo Firewall Pro Free to control applications access to the Internet.
It really is a great amount of software that must be used to really be sure.

But I prefer to be cautious, rather than spread viruses on my data and loss it. :ranting2:

#16 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

I use Symantec Norton 360.In my opinion is the best Av.I've pay 30 pound for 3 PC(special offer) so is cheap but if you wanted for free you can have a 90 day free licence from norton.Has a very good firewall,av,antispyware,anti what ever you want + web back-up.I've use Avira,Kaspersky,Bit defender,Nod32,Panda... etc in the past and none of them come even close to norton 360 except kaspersky but kaspersky make yr computer run very slow.

#17 Logik

Logik

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

There is no thing like perfect security......it can always be compromised.

#18 neogio

neogio

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

Yes I tend to go for using a few as I find no one will find them all.
The main one's I go for are portable apps like Vipre rescue and ClamWin is very good I find.
However there does tend to be a few nasty fake anti-virus's around which seem to require manual removal rather than an anti virus.

#19 _deXter_

_deXter_

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

None. Mainly because Linux is my main OS. However even when I'm in Windows, I prefer using sandboxing, privilege, process and file integrity control mechanisms instead of falling to the hype that are anti-viruses.

- If I do need to scan a file however, I use online scanners such as virustotal.
- When I need to clean an infected system - I try to do a restore first using a recovery CD; then I boot from the latest Avira rescue CD, follow it up with Malwarebytes and finally confirm using Autoruns / Process Explorer / rootkitrevealer.

#20 bobsobol

bobsobol

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

@u2o: I have multiple systems on my LAN. I try to keep different Resident A/V (each that I trust) on each system.

If infection set's in, I use an uninfected system(s) to clean the infected one.

Do I have more than one A/V Resident, all the time? Yes.

I also use Commodo A/V on one of them, and it's not on the list.

FYI: I think it's UI is a little bloated, but the underlying engine seem to do the job well enough.

#21 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

@bobsobol: I truly believe that use more than one resident antivirus is crazy. The performance of the system is reduced to ashes, heh heh. Each anti-virus is a sum in the loss of processing speed of the hardware. For example, imagine AVG and Avast together! Terribly heavy! Think about this, please I don't want to offend you. Choose what you think or know is best. After, you can do regular scans with other AV, just in case.

Out of curiosity, the machines which use two resident AV, What is the task performed it?

Edited by u2o, 23 June 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#22 Anakunda

Anakunda

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

Incomplete poll list, I'm missing a choice "none" there :)

#23 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Incomplete poll list, I'm missing a choice "none" there :)

You're so funny! And you're right! :cheers:

But keep in mind, there are more number of anti-virus, than those permitted in the pool. :)

#24 alochet

alochet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Measuring only virus detection is useless. Pretty much of the most popular scanners can detect viruses, but which one can detect nasty malware/spyware?

Most computers nowadays get attacked by malware/spyware, rarely I have seen customers computers infected with viruses.

#25 Anakunda

Anakunda

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

You're so funny! And you're right! :cheers:

But keep in mind, there are more number of anti-virus, than those permitted in the pool. :)

Hehe you so funny too, I really don't need more number anti-virus 'coz I just use "none" :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users