#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

One can learn how to install on various OSs and use Grub4DOS from the above linked Diddy's Guide.

Sure :cheers:, that's the idea of a guide and also the reason why it has a dedicated thread here:
http://reboot.pro/5187/

:cheers:
Wonko

#27 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

http://nufans.net/grub4dos/ can also be considered as DEAD. Climbing(the Master) has closed the FTP server of nufans because of the unending attacks on the server.

By the same token, the "wee" boot loader is also moved to Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/grubutils/

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

http://nufans.net/grub4dos/ can also be considered as DEAD. Climbing(the Master) has closed the FTP server of nufans because of the unending attacks on the server.

Maybe it's "frozen", not "DEAD". :)
"current relaease" a.k.a. 0.4.4 2009-16-10 is still downloadable from there.

By the same token, the "wee" boot loader is also moved to Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/grubutils/

Thanks for the new link location for WEE. :cheers:

:cheers:
Wonko

#29 Ninho

Ninho

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hello Folks! I've just signed up to Reboot.pro - very good board indeed.

Re Grub4DOS, I tried it months ago (2009-03-31(r66) 0.4.4, so not the newest release, I know).

I verified it worked but did not start to use it regularly for 2 reasons, one I am content with the other multibooters I've been using for years - mainly Ranish's - but this is not the subject of this post,
reason two : Grub4DOS (the version I tried) has a defect, it won't do its duty IF the DOS configuration has a keyboard driver (non BIOS) loaded.

Is the last version still having this def\\\feature ?

If the answer be yes still, then I'll suggest the developers (who, I grasp, attend this forum) to simply unhook the existing keyboard (int 9) driver but do that ONLY at the moment of doing the actual partition chaining. It's not difficult ( the BIOS int 9 is at a known "compatible" address (viz F000:E987 iirc) - other ints such as 15,16 that the kbrd driver might also hook... have standard addresses too in 99.9999999% of AT-compatible BIOSes. Hey, there is a reason they're called compatible :cheers: (Supplementary hint : there's a list of BIOS int entries usually at F000:FEE3)

Thanks for yr attention, hope to hear from you guys and keep doing the good work

Edited by Ninho, 12 July 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#30 Ninho

Ninho

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

This sticky thread may not be the right place to put questions, apology from this novice board user; moderators please delete my above question and this post, Reposting into own new thread.

#31 Anakunda

Anakunda

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

hi where I download latest g4d builds from tinybit?

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

You don't. ;)

Branches have seemingly merged again :).

You get latest here:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

A snippet for history of latest in the above:
2011-07-21 (tinybit)added a map option --int15nolow. Some changes on handler.

2011-07-10 (tinybit)re-enabled int13/ah=16h floppy detection in int13_handler.

2011-06-28 (tinybit)fixed a careless mistake in probe_mbr(missing evaluation on C/H/S). fixed a bug in clean_entry() which return the address of a local variable.

2011-06-27 (tinybit)added wee_skip_to as a replacement for skip_to.

2011-06-22 (tinybit)better probe_mbr handling abnormal partition tables.

2011-06-19 (karyonix)int15 fix. (tinybit)remove code to save handler room.

2011-06-10 (tinybit)trust CHS in floppy BPB for GRUB.EXE to run under DOS.

2011-06-09 (tinybit)trust CHS in floppy BPB for GRUB.EXE to boot via NTLDR.

2011-06-04 (namiltd)added exFAT filesystem accessibility.

2011-06-02 (tinybit)better handling loading grub.exe from NTLDR in floppy

2011-05-31 (tinybit)fix chainloading grub.exe from Grub4DOS

2011-05-31 (tinybit)make grub.exe loadable by NTLDR

2011-05-24 (tinybit)make grub.exe chainloadable

2011-05-19 applied Roy's patch(Issue 27: adding PC-DOS/MS-DOS chainloading support).

2011-05-14 (tinybit)use HLT command in key detection

2011-05-09 applied steve6375's patch( Issue 23:	Improve grub4dos menu item numbering).

2011-05-07 applied Roy's patch(Issue 25: Add chainloading DELL DRMK DELLBIO.BIN support).

2011-05-06 applied Roy's patch(issue 24: Add ReactOS freeldr chainloading support).

2011-04-29 (tinybit)exclude ntfs short filename.allow space in fb_filename.

2011-03-22 fixed a bug on case sensitivity in filename completion. added a new parameter "case_insensitive" to print_a_completion().

But, have a look here also:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

tinybit :ph34r: is seemingly also active on WEE development :wheelchair:

:w00t:
Wonko

#33 Anakunda

Anakunda

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

this link works, thanks :wheelchair:

#34 Levellak

Levellak

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

I had one request. I programing in C# and I want to use grubinst.exe the creation MBR
this code
Assembly asm = Assembly.Load(Properties.Resources.grubinst);

MethodInfo method = asm.EntryPoint;
if (method == null) throw new Exception();
object o = asm.CreateInstance(method.Name);
method.Invoke(o, null);

Unfortunately, I have not succeeded, and we get an exception

http://msdn.microsof...(v=vs.110).aspx

on the first line.

Something is wrong with the exe file. Maybe metadata is wrong. Could you fix it, please?

thx.

bye

#35 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Unfortunately, I have not succeeded, and we get an exception

http://msdn.microsof...(v=vs.110).aspx
on the first line.

GRUBInst is not a .NET assembly, so your strategy will not work. GRUBInst is programmed in C and it compiles to machine code, not CIL byte-code. To "fix" this, someone would write a completely new program; not change GRUBInst. Sorry!

#36 Levellak

Levellak

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

GRUBInst is not a .NET assembly, so your strategy will not work. GRUBInst is programmed in C and it compiles to machine code, not CIL byte-code. To "fix" this, someone would write a completely new program; not change GRUBInst. Sorry! 

OK too bad. Would it be possible to get the source code to review? I would try to write a new program in  .NET.

#37 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

OK too bad. Would it be possible to get the source code to review? I would try to write a new program in  .NET.

I believe it is here.  Good luck!

#38 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

More recent code:

http://code.google.c...butils/grubinst

Actually Jaclaz posted it already...

#39 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Just to have a pointer to give people whining :w00t: about not being able to find grub4dos latest release, with a nice accompanying  ;) "you didn't actually read the stickies in the grub4dos forum" , there are news about issues (from China) to get to the chenall grub4dos site on google code, so starting NOW, the OFFICIAL download page for latest releases BECOMES:

http://grub4dos.chen...ries/downloads/

AND click on the "2014" tab.

At the moment of this writing latest 0.4.5c is http://grub4dos.chen....5c-2014-07-11/

latest 0.4.6a version is http://grub4dos.chen....6a-2014-07-11/

Reference:

http://reboot.pro/to...b4dos/?p=186079

and following few posts.

:duff:

Wonko

#40 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Compiled builds?

#41 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Compiled builds?

What do you mean? :unsure:

Go here:

http://grub4dos.chen....5c-2014-09-05/

See the attached pic.

Wonko

Attached Thumbnails

• g4dpage.jpg

#42 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Wonko! Saved me from some more long goose chases :) Thought that was just another link to the source.

#43 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Latest grub4do 0.4.6a  2019-12-20

The setmenu command has now been improved and extended to make it easy to have a menu title and centre it within the menu area.

e.g. with a text box and animation...

graphicsmode -1 800
splashimage /girl_blue_eyes.jpg
default 1
# no timeout
timeout -1
# set password
password 123
# enable hotkeys - don't show messages
/hotkey -A > nul
#load fonts
font /unifont.hex.gz
#translate keyboard scan codes for UK - don't show message
call /KBD_QWERTY_UK.g4b > nul
# clear all preset strings (only 16)
setmenu --string=
# menu colour cyan
color normal=0x00FFFF
# highlight colour white text
color highlight=0xFFFFFF
# mid-white help text under menu
color helptext=0xCCCCCC
# remove the menu border using lowercase L=0, w = width = 0 = centre on display
setmenu --box x=10 y=4 w=0 h=23 l=0
# set position of menu entry help text just under menu
# --help=X=W=Y (0=default)
setmenu --help=13=0=27
# turn on auto-numbering
setmenu --auto-num-on
# remove grub4dos key help instructions
setmenu --keyhelp-off
# Remove grub4dos heading and write new heading in centre of menu
setmenu --ver-off
setmenu --string=i0=m=1=0x01ccFF="--- MY MENU ---"

# write string (ss) in a box at x and y
set txtcol=0x0000FF00FFFF00
set boxcol=0xFFFFFF
set x=12
set y=36
set pixwide=1
set ss=(c)2019 SteveSi Enterprises
set w=%@retval%
setmenu --string=i2=%x%=%y%=%txtcol%="%ss%"
set /a x=%x%*8-%pixwide% > nul
set /a y=%y%*16-%pixwide% > nul
set /a w=%w%*8+%pixwide%+%pixwide% > nul
set /a h=1*16+%pixwide%+%pixwide% > nul
# draw box number 1 (range 0-15) > nul
setmenu --draw-box=1=%x%=%y%=%w%=%h%=%pixwide%=%boxcol%
set x= ;; set y= ;; set ss= ;; set w= ;; set pixwide= ;; set y= ;; set w= ;; set h= ;; set txtcol= ;; set boxcol=

#DNA example code:
set ANIMFD3=/DNA2_KMG.ima
set last=120
# 1st param - use 0x90 for looping+transparent background, use 0x10 for opaque background
# 2nd param is delay (1\18th second), 3rd is last frame number, 4th is x pos, 5th is y pos (in pixels), 6th is path to first frame
set ANIMATE=0x90=1=%last%=575=115 (fd3)/E2B/DNA2_KMG_frame_0001.bmp
# load IMA file as fd3
map --mem %ANIMFD3% (fd3) > nul
map --hook > nul
splashimage --animated=%ANIMATE%

http://grub4dos.chen....6a-2019-12-20/

Download.

P.S. I am working in a 'Getting started with grub4dos' eBook in PDF format which also contains details of all the grub4dos latest commands for this version. It is 99% finished - if anyone wants a free copy in return for proof-reading and feedback within 3 days, please contact me.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - Glossary .......................................................................................................................... 7
Chapter 2 - Introduction .................................................................................................................... 9
What is grub4dos?......................................................................................................................... 9
What does grub4dos consist of? .................................................................................................. 10
Where can I find grub4dos?......................................................................................................... 10
Chapter 3 - Useful utilities ............................................................................................................... 12
Chapter 4 - How does grub4dos boot?............................................................................................. 13
1. PBR-booting to grub4dos from a disk ....................................................................................... 13
2. MBR-booting to grub4dos from a disk...................................................................................... 16
Stage 1.5 boot code ..................................................................................................................... 16
grldr ............................................................................................................................................ 18
menu.lst ...................................................................................................................................... 18
Save menu.lst as UTF-8................................................................................................................ 20
Details about grub4dos boot Stage 1.5 ........................................................................................ 21
Chapter 5 - Installing grub4dos ........................................................................................................ 23
Bootlace ...................................................................................................................................... 23
Grubinst and Grubinst_GUI (Windows)........................................................................................ 24
grubmenu.exe ......................................................................................................................... 26
BootIce........................................................................................................................................ 27
RMPrepUSB................................................................................................................................. 28
Exercise 1: Make a bootable grub4dos USB drive (Windows) ................................................... 29
Exercise 2: Boot to grub4dos.................................................................................................... 31
Hexadecimal numbers ............................................................................................................. 33
Big-endian or Little-endian?..................................................................................................... 34
Exercise 3: Using the grub4dos command console ................................................................... 35
Grub4dos variables.................................................................................................................. 40
Chapter 6 - Making a menu ............................................................................................................. 42
graphicsmode.............................................................................................................................. 43
Set a menu default and a menu entry timeout............................................................................. 43
Adding comments........................................................................................................................ 44color ........................................................................................................................................ 44
Menu entries (title and iftitle)...................................................................................................... 45
Blank menu entries.................................................................................................................. 46
Editing the menu from within grub4dos................................................................................... 46
Getting to the command line from a menu .................................................................................. 47
Chapter 7 - Making a nice graphical menu ....................................................................................... 48
setmenu ...................................................................................................................................... 48
Changing the default menu heading ............................................................................................ 48
Add a background wallpaper (splashimage)................................................................................. 51
help text colour ....................................................................................................................... 52
Change the menu size and position ............................................................................................. 53
Adding text and boxes ............................................................................................................. 54
Add a text box ......................................................................................................................... 55
Non-USA keyboards..................................................................................................................... 56
Adding Fonts ............................................................................................................................... 56
default and savedefault ............................................................................................................... 57
password, md5crypt and lock ...................................................................................................... 58
grub4dos utiltities - hotkey.......................................................................................................... 58
cat, clear, echo, pause ................................................................................................................. 60
Exercise 4: Make a nicer looking menu..................................................................................... 61
Chapter 8 - Boot from a Linux LiveCD ISO ........................................................................................ 63
Translating the Linux boot menu ................................................................................................. 64
Exercise 5: Boot directly from a Ubuntu LiveCD ISO (using the ISO cheat code) ........................ 66
Exercise 6: Boot directly from a Ubuntu LiveCD ISO using 'partnew'......................................... 66
Exercise 7: Testing grub4dos using Virtual Box (Windows users) .............................................. 69
Chapter 9 - Other boot menu entries............................................................................................... 71
Example menus ........................................................................................................................... 71
Chapter 10 - Files and compression ................................................................................................. 72
Compressed files and auto-decompression.................................................................................. 73
Chapter 11 - Playing tunes............................................................................................................... 75
Chapter 12 - Adding 'STAMPS' ......................................................................................................... 78
Chapter 13 - Play an animation........................................................................................................ 79
Exercise 8: Add an animated DNA GIF to your menu ................................................................ 81
Chapter 14 - Environment variables and batch files ......................................................................... 82grub4dos environment variables ................................................................................................. 82
Variable expansion .................................................................................................................. 83
Internal variables..................................................................................................................... 83
Numbers ..................................................................................................................................... 85
Using decimal qualifier letters.................................................................................................. 85
Grub4dos batch files.................................................................................................................... 86
Exercise 9: shift command demo............................................................................................. 86
Batch file behavioural differences:........................................................................................... 88
Difference between && and &;................................................................................................ 88
if operator ............................................................................................................................... 90
setlocal\endlocal ..................................................................................................................... 90
pause....................................................................................................................................... 91
Tips on writing good code ........................................................................................................ 92
Debugging batch files .................................................................................................................. 93
Exercise 10: Debug a batch file which includes a subroutine .................................................... 93
String handling......................................................................................................................... 95
Filename strings in batch files (limitations) .............................................................................. 95
Fn calls..................................................................................................................................... 97
Chapter 15 - More grub4dos commands.......................................................................................... 99
configfile (for secondary menus).............................................................................................. 99
read......................................................................................................................................... 99
write........................................................................................................................................ 99
dd............................................................................................................................................ 99
hide and unhide....................................................................................................................... 99
displaymem ............................................................................................................................. 99
blocklist ................................................................................................................................. 100
calc........................................................................................................................................ 100
checkrange ............................................................................................................................ 100
checktime.............................................................................................................................. 100
usb ........................................................................................................................................ 100
Chapter 16 - Grub4dos memory usage and user space .................................................................. 101
Grub4dos memory values and internal system parameters........................................................ 102
Appendix A - Grub4dos 0.4.6a Reference Guide............................................................................. 103

Edited by steve6375, 20 December 2019 - 02:46 PM.

• gbrao likes this

#44 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

P.S. I am working in a 'Getting started with grub4dos' eBook in PDF format which also contains details of all the grub4dos latest commands for this version. It is 99% finished - if anyone wants a free copy in return for proof-reading and feedback within 3 days, please contact me.

Does it contain info on whether g4d is compatible (or not) with newer hardware, e.g. M.2, NVME, EFI etc. ?

If not, please add.

#45 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

yes, it does and the answer is 'no - it's not compatible - its the same it has always been'.

#46 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

yes, it does and the answer is 'no - it's not compatible - its the same it has always been'.

I meant if someone has 'newer' hardware, say a mobo that supports CSM and doesn't mind the older MBR partition scheme with a M.2/NVME drive, would he be able to use G4D?

I'm so used to booting from memory, I'm dreading the day I have to upgrade my system.

I'm sure many forum members might be having the same doubt. It would be nice if your document could contain a section 'Using G4D with newer hardware'.

• antonino61 likes this

#47 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

And are you expecting that anyone will BOTH:

1) meet the deadline (3 days  :w00t:

AND:

2) provide meaningful feedback/valid proof reading? :dubbio:

Particularly posting the proposal on friday afternoon? :unsure:

If the deadline can be moved to something minimally sensible (like the first week of january, that would give some 15 days time) then I may be interested.

Wonko 

• Brito likes this

#48 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:05 AM

I'm sure many forum members might be having the same doubt. It would be nice if your document could contain a section 'Using G4D with newer hardware'.

This thread has now made me remember my first post at bootland :

http://reboot.pro/to...ide/#entry61797

I joined this forum because of G4D. My doubts were (very patiently) answered by a certain Jaclaz.

See : http://reboot.pro/to...ide/#entry63798

That was in Mar 2009, 10 years - gone so quickly. Thanks to all the members, some of who are sadly no longer here, who helped me over the years.

• Brito likes this

#49 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

Time flies when you're having fun.. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users