LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

About the logistics ...

Should be the first point to discuss before even we set the agenda. How many of us will actually be interested if the meeting is attended by five/six people only?

We boot almost anything in this group. Heck, I even think I'll be able to boot my toaster one of these days!
There is no doubt in my mind that we don't just "boot" it all just for the sake of booting it. We do have the same needs (or close), and I would like to know some of the applications (how this knowledge is applied). My assumption is that anyone who is not a casual computer user hangs around here for a valid reason.
I do know for sure that any technician's life is should be better after REBOOT.
Also, with all that's going on in the hacking world today, this is a MUST (I don't care what you think your antivirus will save you from). You need to be able to carry it all in your pocket, and have "bounceback-bility" from all angles. It is lethal to be on the Internet nowadays, yet it is an important part of modern life. More people need the skills.
I am convinced that this material will change the computing world, and I am of the opinion that it is underexposed. When people hear of a conference where people say they can boot anything, I'm sure they will be interrested. You may take it for granted, but a lot of people are completely ignorant about the subject, and there are not that many places where you can get in it this deep.
I'm hoping we can generate more interrest and involve more developers, so we can all get a better tomorrow. And yes, encourage/support them by donating.

What I am saying is this: it seems to me that more than 5-6 people will be interrested. What's important at this stage is not so much the logistics (which is a no brainer really), but the critical mass we need to make it worth our time and money.

Can we please discuss the content?
Let's start by posting what we would like to learn about.

So far, besides those who expressed their desire to attend (very important), I gather that

I like this initiative and would certainly be present.

Some topics I'd like to see focused:
- Booting .vhd Windows
- PXE/http Windows booting
- Running Windows from USB media
- Slimming Windows size

Wonko, Sambul & co, let's please get back to the conference topic..

I'd really like to see a presentation about Windows VHD by Sambul61. Would you be available?

Many other topics around here that would be nice to see and discuss on a live event.

A conference sounds like an awesome idea.
Would like to see some demos to see what random stuff people are doing!

If anyone is interested in the following i could present it.

I worked in pc repair for a college doing free repairs for students. As you can imagine there were always tons of laptops dropped off everyday. I developed a nice w7pe pxe solution while i worked there. The pxe worked so well it became our step 1 for fixing the machines. It would take ~10 minutes to boot and then do a bunch of scripts(taking hours) which would for the most part fix 80% of the machines we got in, reducing our turn around time to 1 day from up to 2 weeks.

Great idea... being a newbie and still figuring stuff out probably couldn't offer anything, but would like to see what others are working on and how I could improve my project.

I like this initiative and would certainly be present.

Some topics I'd like to see focused:
- Booting .vhd Windows
- Slimming Windows size

We boot almost anything in this group. Heck, I even think I'll be able to boot my toaster one of these days!
There is no doubt in my mind that we don't just "boot" it all just for the sake of booting it. We do have the same needs (or close), and I would like to know some of the applications (how this knowledge is applied). My assumption is that anyone who is not a casual computer user hangs around here for a valid reason.

• Brito likes this

#52 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

I'd really like to hear LeMOGO presentation about the final touches to The Boot Process: Step by Step saga at the Conference. :thumbsup:

You might have this one missed? :dubbio:

The Boot topic is unique in that it complex enough to represent a challenge even for a smart individual, yet familiar to almost everyone in a civilized world, since everyone boots a PC and once in awhile faces PC service and OS boot challenges.

But many topics people work on around here are aimed at overcoming limitations purposely imposed by some software title holders. While the tasks are very popular, practical and challenging, some may not be presentable on a DC forum. :)

To justify financing such event by a 3rd party, one needs to show that participants actually accomplished something that demonstrates their "prospective hire" qualifications and abilities compare to an average Joe. It might not always be easy, given nature of the tasks attracting most attention here.

There are many members here, who are undoubtedly capable of bringing revenue to a smart employer. But... if some organizers plan to draw benefits from such gathering (which is normal), its qualified participants need to be convinced they can also draw some benefits from it, unless you're ready to sponsor just about anyone, since I suspect many matching your criteria individuals wouldn't be ready for prime time without assessing cost & benefits first. If sponsorship is offered, there must be some eligibility criteria in place for the sake of fairness that aren't obvious either. :alone:

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

No one has suggested any other location so far.

Just for the record, Wonko did:
http://reboot.pro/16332/page__st__7

I would also propose another game. :unsure:
Let's assume that we have already all agreed that the convention is to be held in Washington D.C., from June 7th to June 10 th 2012 and that heaps of people, let us assume > 100 hundred are willing to take part to it.

This way there won't be much senseless talks about location, police states and what not and we could concentrate on the contents.

Proposals for themes/timetable/etc.?

Who is willing to present a paper, make a speech and about which topics?

:cheers:
Wonko
  • Brito and Holmes.Sherlock like this

#54 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'll make sure you get what you need. I don't want to say too much too early, so let's talk about the content first.

LeMOGO, if you have already come acroos & gone through this post regarding how much cost a person (like me) from a third world country needs to incur,I promise to stay silent regarding the location & cost from this point onwards. However, I request you to keep provision for remote attendees as, in spite of my earnest efforts & desire, I fear that I won't be able to bear such an amount right now.

BTW, someone with an US dollar in pocket can still have spent that dollar to arrange for both lunch & dinner in today's India. $ 1 = ~ INR 50. Bear with me, please.

Proposals for themes/timetable/etc.?

Who is willing to present a paper, make a speech and about which topics?

If security related discussions are also welcome, here is what Team Reboot can try to offer:
  • Some security related papers which team yet needs to discuss.
  • Team Reboot can try to invite members of other CTF teams of non-Rebooters are allowed to attend.
  • Possibly conducting a small scale on-the-spot CTF event

#55 isak

isak
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Coming from a small country full off Mooses (Sweden) ... I welcome a conference. It would absolutly great ...
When flying so far as from sweden ... I would prefer it being in like San Fransisco, or in the southern part like Maimi. :clap:

Cheers

#56 agni

agni

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 270 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

In India, many conferences are held in Undergraduate Universities.The main advantage of this is that students get involved.

For example Gnome Asia Summit 2011 was held in Bangalore in an Undergraduate Engineering College(Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering) .
I participated in this conference and only half the auditorium was filled with people coming other places.The remaining vacant seats were filled by enthusiastic students.You can also check the details of this event for some idea on what kind of activities can be organised in conference.
Another advantage of hosting conference in Universities or Colleges is that you can run parallel session in different Seminar Halls.You can also use the Lab Facilities available in the College for conducting certains events.

Second example is KDE Conference which held in my own College ( R V College of Engineering) and this too was a big success.Lots of interesting Sessions and Workshops were happening simultaneously in various parts of the College.

The point I am trying convey here is that it woud be better to organise a conference in a College or University (NOT necessarily in Bangalore or India)where we can involve a large number of enthusiastic students. Students can easily help workout logistics and can also help organising the event. Students will do this enthusiasically for free.You just need to offer student volunteers a unique T Shirt or Pen or some coupon etc.

In certain situations Colleges Hostel located inside the campus can be used to accomodate people coming from other places.(This depends a lot on the college)

This is the scenario in India.I am not sure how Universities and College in other parts of the world function, but I am sure that we can leverage facilties offered by a University for our Conference.

#57 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I like the idea of engaging a University. :thumbsup:

When it comes to selecting a location, my preferred spot would be Florence, Tuscany , if sponsored, as the place allows to organize great cultural program. And Wonko might be happy to share some old wine with everyone from his Castle's cellar.

Posted Image Posted Image
Bridges link together cities of Florence and Pisa. :devil:

#58 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

And Wonko might be happy to share some old wine with everyone from his Castle cellar.

Or maybe only with a selected subset of partecipants. :whistling:

You have the picture legend completely wrong BTW.

Bridges link together cities of Florence and Pisa.

That is a picture of the Ponte Vecchio, the oldest bridge on the river Arno in Florence that simply connects Florence (left bank) with Florence (righ bank).

Pisa is another city about 80 Km away from Florence, the "bridge" connecting them is called highway A11:
http://it.wikipedia....ada_A11_(Italia)
http://it.wikipedia....acciato_A11.svg

Wonko

#59 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Bridges link together cities of Florence and Pisa.

:1st: :dubbio:
Peter

#60 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks guys! I know some bridges exist only in our imagination. We need to create more real ones through forums and conferences like this. :smiling9:

Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image

#61 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

You might have this one missed? :dubbio:

Absolutely not!
I just chose to ignore it. You are free to think what you want. This is a free world right?
And just for the record, the only reason I'm into this is to open the forum, give people opportunities. From where it stands, I stand to spend time and money and gain absolutely nothing in return, which I am fine with. After all, we are able to boot all this stuff because others sacrificed. I know for a fact they don't get much $ from it, but yet they do it amd make us able to do the same. Maybe the conference might change someting for them, at least I hope.

Just for the record, Wonko did:
http://reboot.pro/16332/page__st__7

My appologies. In all faireness, you did. I just did not think you were serious about it.
Keep in mind that someone has to be on the ground, securing lodging, seeing about food and eating places (like talking to the businees owners to make sure our breaks don't end up being spent in lines with no time to eat), engaging with the commmunity at large, and making sure we get all the authorizations and guarantees we need. And of course, all the other small details that make a big difference.
If some "fiji-an" can muscle the work, hey! I'll chill and just prepare my money for the trip! Less work for me, less money, less headache, and less attacks. I'm all for it.

Or maybe, you'll fly down there and make it happen. Let's hear it!

In India, many conferences are held in Undergraduate Universities.The main advantage of this is that students get involved.

I loooove this idea.
:good: Two thumbs up! :good:

#62 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

LeMOGO, if you have already come acroos & gone through this post regarding how much cost a person (like me) from a third world country needs to incur,I promise to stay silent regarding the location & cost from this point onwards. However, I request you to keep provision for remote attendees as, in spite of my earnest efforts & desire, I fear that I won't be able to bear such an amount right now.

BTW, someone with an US dollar in pocket can still have spent that dollar to arrange for both lunch & dinner in today's India. $ 1 = ~ INR 50. Bear with me, please.

No need to be appologetic. I understand your situation perfectly, that is why I made up my mind before the fact and discussed it with my wife. I DID make the offers! But if it happens somewhere else, I have no pull there! So, let's wait and see...

Those who want to go elsewhere need to realize that we need infrastructure if we are going to have a live event...

For now, let's talk contents.

#63 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

But if it happens somewhere else, I have no pull there! So, let's wait and see...

That's true.

For now, let's talk contents.

Sure. :dubbio:

#64 hackules

hackules
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm very interested, even more so if it's somewhere between NYC and Chicago's longitudes.

#65 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Absolutely not! I just chose to ignore it.

Тhe only reason I'm into this is to open the forum, give people opportunities.

After all, we are able to boot all this stuff because others sacrificed.

For now, let's talk contents

Yes, you're right, it's a free world, at least in some places. So, why would you choose to ignore your own The Boot Process initiative supported not long ago so heartfully? :dubbio: This is a basic invitation... Are you planning to present ANY material at all? Can we expect you to abandon shortly this conference initiative as well?

As to "giving people the opportunities", usually its done by establishing partnerships with Headhunters in India (since you mentioned this country earlier), so that prospective hires don't have to travel to its capital and stay in long lines (possibly many days) in full uncertainty to get interviewed for a visa, while having abandoned their home duties. That way effective pre-screening is also done easily.

What I disagree with that someone here made "sacrifices" for the rest of us, as you say. This is a hobby, people are voluntarily engaged in to feel satisfaction, explore own abilities and learn. Yes, it may be possible for someone to come in and try to make money inside such hobby, but I don't think pathetic rhetorics is suited well even for this.

Btw, what "all this stuff we are all able to boot because others sacrificed", lets say you in particular - what stuff do you boot? :lol: Please understand, this is friendly discussion, yet it may not go the exact way you planned.

I'm quite interested in such a Conference... Talking of content, the attractive detail I'd like being presented as the Conference Headline is... surprised... The Boot Process finalized scheme. :)

#66 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I just did not think you were serious abou it.

Still for the record, I was not serious about fiji (in any case too expensive, exception maybe for those coming from Australia), but perfectly so for the other suggested destinations.

Wonko

#67 mcsdtech

mcsdtech
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I am excited about the idea and definitely want to come. I'm not sure I can, but that discussion doesn't happen yet. More details are needed first.

I'm interested in the same content that has been mentioned already with one addition that probably doesn't rate a time at a conference but would probably happen between sessions or during meals.

I can use WinBuilder to create the standard bootable Windows xp/7 CD/DVD/USB media but when I start customizing it stops building properly. I don't get a lot of time to sit down and learn WinBuilder. It would be nice to be able to sit down with some WinBuilder experts and learn how to use this powerful tool to better advantage.

- Getting the most out of WinBuilder

- Slimming Windows size

Depending on the time of year there is a KOA campsite that I stayed at while visiting the Smithsonian for a week. That saved me a considerable amount of money.
For the people who want to attend online OpenMeetings could be a way to accomplish that.
http://incubator.apa...g/openmeetings/

#68 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yes, you're right, it's a free world, at least in some places. So, why would you choose to ignore your own The Boot Process initiative supported not long ago so heartfully? :dubbio: This is a basic invitation - not "an attack"...

Well, if you must know, it went like this:
  • I was working on said project, and water dropped on my laptop. I was in the livinroom and there is another floor above. I later found out that a raccoon had dug my roof. What started as a small leak worked its way through the ceiling and the ceiling gave up. I ended up in renovations.
  • Then an earthquate hit us. The roof cracked, the stairs outside gave up. More work on the line.
  • I ended up having to tear up all my walls, and rdesign the house all together. I am still at it, doing the work myself. New windows, insulation, removed some walls, made new openings, installed new plumbing, new duct work, roof,....
  • The I got sick a few times, I am still recovering...
I have not abandonned. I am just going through some rough times. I spent this winter without insulation...
I will certainly resume as soon as it is reasonable.
I appologize for the delay.

Are you planning to present ANY material at all?

No

Can we expect you to abandon shortly this conference initiative as well?

Yes. You should stay home to be safe. Life happens out here.

Btw, what "all this staff we are all able to boot" - say you in particular? :lol: Please understand, this is friendly discussion, not confrontation, yet it may not go the exact way you planned at any time.

Sorry, typo: should read all this stuff.
[ I corrected the post - thank you for pointing it out ]

Edited by LeMOGO, 21 February 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#69 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Sorry for all your troubles. So much headache from an earthquake in Washington DC... :hmm:

Yeah, this place is a known volcano... :secret:

And your house wasn't insured? :dubbio: But may be some guys can help you during the Conference - I'll be glad to help too... :showoff:

Posted Image

#70 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sorry for all your troubles. So much headache from an earthquake in Washington DC... :hmm:

... and I did not mention that my laptop's 500GB hard drive got corrupted with that water thing, and I had to do some data recovery. I had all my notes on it. If you know anything about data recovery, you can imagine how long it took for me to restore my data. It took the best of 3 months just to become functional again. Unfortunately, I did not have a backup of that machine...

See?
You should give people the benefit of the doubt!...

Thanks for he offer of help. I really appreciate it.
My wife is kind of tired of sleeping on the floor in the cold, so I need to finish soon. I can't wait.
But, thank you very much.

#71 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Some of the very interesting and important topics, I'd like to hear presentations on during the Conference regardless of its form and place are:

1. Grub4DOS: methods of use, tools, utilities, graphic menus, development trends, Burg

Ideally it should be presented by its developers and great explorers: tinybit, chenall, ded, ilko, steve6375, laddanator, ...

2. Tools to access, format and repair your PC hard drive. Presenters: Icecube, Wonko

3. Boot Windows anywhere. Presenters: cdob, wimb, steve6375, karionix, sha0, olof, sara-pmedia

4. Reboot.pro - from MSFN roots to 1st place in Alexa ranks. Presenters: Nuno

5. Linking boot knowledge bits together. Presenters: Wonko, was_jaclaz, jaclaz

6. WinPE and its tools evolution. Presenters: pscEx, sbaeder, ChrisR, ...

7. Windows and Application Security. Presenters: Jamal, Holmes.Sherlock, joakim

8. Advanced Networking. Presenters: erwan, sfinktax, sha0

This is just a small list of what can really be presented, amendable later, and there are many more talented individuals contributing their time, knowledge and skills to this amazing OS Boot topic.

#72 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Some of the very interesting and important topics, I'd like to hear presentations on during the Conference regardless of its form and place

That's the idea!
If everyone would come up with their wish, we'll accomplish something. The format is not that important (though I would still prefer a on campus type meeting).

I see that you mentioned a few people in your list.
Is it possible to ask them to state their avalability and conditions?

On another note: getting a hang of all the subjects discussed here is a bit challenging for noobs. I would like to see things more accessible (hence "the map" - not completed yet). Could someone offer a simple session for people who are not used to the place (so that others get a chance to benefit from the work and ideas here)? Nuno maybe?
I think that more exposure should generate more interrest, a larger user base, and hopefully more donations (and some people complaining less about people not paying). A quick "Look what is possible" session listing and demonstrating (as much as possible) the accomplishments from the various threads would be useful. It will enable us to open the forum to a wider user base.
Some think this is a hobby, but I am of the opinion that being good at something requires that you love it (hobby). What is a hobby to you because you do it easilly and for fun, might be a mistery for someone else who really needs the skills. As the saying goes, "one man's junk is another man's treasure".

#73 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hello.

I volunteer for a session covering the above mentioned topics from an introduction perspective. This should help visitors to know the basics of reboot and then choose with a better notion of what interests them.

I can also do a presentation about Alexa and reboot.pro, but only under the condition that wonko promises to be present there and watch until the end.. :lol:

#74 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

I see that you mentioned a few people in your list.
Is it possible to ask them to state their avalability and conditions?

If I keep aside the budget related discussion for the time being, I am available. Just I need to know a few days earlier so that I can arrange for the leave for the said period from my employer.

#75 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Did you try to obtain US Visa before in India? Are you aware of the protocol, timing, logistics and outcome statistics of the process? Do you know how to present your case on the interview and prepare documents to improve chances of getting the Visa?

LeMOGO

Despite I mentioned my wishes for this prospective event about the presenters, it doesn't mean all of them seriously entertain your proposal at this point for whatever reason. I guess, you'd need to demonstrate some touchy people skills to get each of them individually convinced, not to mention personal knowledge of their "sacrifice" contributions. Keep in mind though, these guys are smart. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users