• 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi

I have been looking around for varieties of PC-DOS 7.1

Currently i have several builds:
1.10, 1.11, 1.19, 1.26, 1.28, 1.29, 1.30, 1.32 and one earlier one (no built-in version).

All of these have ibmbio.com, ibmdos.com, and command.com.

1.19 is very common (ghost 2003), but only has the kernel files and some pcdos 2000 files.

1.26 has also himem.sys

1.28 has himem.sys, fdisk32.com, but these come from different copies of 128

1.32 is the most complete set from the server script kit. MSCDEX is not specifically identified as 1.32, but is different to the pcdos 2000 version (in two bytes), that it is counted as first appearing here.

BLDLEVEL.COM, COMMAND.COM, DEBUG.COM, DYNALOAD.COM, FDISK32.COM, FORMAT.COM, FORMAT32.COM, HIMEM.SYS, IBMBIO.COM, IBMCDET.SYS, IBMDOS.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, NOINT25.COM,

These come with a collection of pcdos 2000 files, and a few others. The PCDOS 2000 files come to

ATTRIB.EXE      E.EX            FIND.EXE        MORE.COM        RXDINFO.RX

CHKDSK.COM      E.EXE           HIMEM.SYS       MOUSE.COM       SMARTDRV.EXE

CHOICE.COM      E.INI           KEYB.COM        MOVE.EXE        SUBST.EXE

COUNTRY.SYS     EGA.CPI         KEYBOARD.SYS    MSCDEX.EXE      SYS.COM

DELTREE.EXE     EHELP.HLP       LABEL.COM       RAMDRIVE.SYS    TREE.COM

DISPLAY.SYS     FC.EXE          MEM.EXE         REXX.EXE        XCOPY.EXE

DOSKEY.COM      FDISK.COM       MODE.COM

There are other task-specific utilities, some of which seem to have general application.

altboot, cliini, findram, linecomb, mbrtool, reboot, scandisk, scrub3, sleep, tshudwn.

For PCDOS, i have modified files like bootnt4/bootw98 to install windows NT, 9x, PC-DOS, PCDOS71, and MSDOS622 sectors. These files write new boot sectors. You can use bootpart or my modified ibmpart to move the necessary files into place. I installed all of these boot sectors onto a vm, and then reverted to pcdos71. The vm rebooted perfectly.

I've also found a proggie in http://omniplex.om.f...os/pcdosasm.htm like dos622.com. It tells you how to change the version to any pcdos or msdos number (even things like pcdos 5.82). Still, it's handy since you can test msdos 6.22 under Windows 2000, without the need for a virtual machine. (dos622 command.com, and then run commands from there). I made versions for all pcdos and msdos (ibm320, 330, 400, 500, 502, 600, 630, 700, 710), and msdos (500, 600, 620, 622, 700, 710, 800). Other dos versions like 6.21 and 6.10 are really 6.20 and 6.00 respectively. There's room to handle dos versions like 20.45 etc. Beats setver.

#2 roytam1

roytam1

• Developer
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

I wonder where I can find the downloads of these builds.

#3 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

google, i suppose. They're from lots of different places.

The usual suspects are things like Ghost, IBM disks (including the two server script kits, which both have 1.32), a program called SSD from IBM and Lenevo (which has 1.28 or something. Sometimes you find them hiding in SYS files, eg msbootsvr16.sys

I made a floppy disk for making floppies, and an alternate brute-force SYS that patches the boot sector of the hard disk. In the main, i have a little single floppy diskette that has this, and all of the mentioned dos 2000 files on it, along with bootdos.com. bootdos.com is essentially a bootw98 / bootnt4 file, modified to put the IBM dos boot sector in there.

all versions have ibmbio.com, ibmdos.com and command.com

1.00 has no buildlevel, but comes with a smattering of IBM and other utilities.
1.10 comes from a pcdos 7.10 boot disk with misc utilities.
1.11 comes from inside a file bootsvr16.sys in some version of ghost.
1.19 comes from ghost 2003
1,26 comes from IBM's SSD utility (includes scrub) +himem.sys
1.28 comes from thinkpad disks i downloaded from IBM. +himem.sys, +fdisk32.com
1.29 comes from ghost 8,03
1.30 comes from ghost solutions 2.5
1.32 comes from the IBM server scripting tool kit +11 other named files

With 1.28, the two extra files come from two different diskettes.

try, eg h++p://www.os2fan2.com/files/pcdos71.rar

It's only got the files, and some boot sectors, but most of these did not come on boot diskettes.

#4 0ffer

0ffer

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

DOS Version Collection including PC DOS (IBM DOS, IBM Personal Computer DOS)

#5 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

DOS Version Collection including PC DOS (IBM DOS, IBM Personal Computer DOS)

I know this. It's a good site.

The PC-DOS 7.1 is b1.32 from the sgtk v 1.10, which is a partial set of the 1.30 set. On the other hand, my upload contains the known versions, most of them touched with build-date and build-number.

#6 M-ko

M-ko
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, that's my collection. xD I'm always open to finding more and more complete versions of DOS.

#7 omniplex

omniplex

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi, for some background info see Vernon Brooks' nice PC DOS Retro, there are improved versions of DEBUG (version 1.29b 2014-02-11) and other goodies.

JFTR, abusing DOS622.com as ersatz-SETVER is dangerous, it hooks a "true DOS version" interrupt function", not only the VER function.

#8 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

omniplex's post about PC-DOS and his comment about DOS622 is pretty much clashing with each other. 

Most of MS-DOS 6.22 is compiled from DOS 5.0 code, so one should suppose that it runs under DOS 5.0 and later.  This is the test that Brooks built into PC-DOS 5.0, for example.  The new code compiled for MS-DOS 6.0 (ie move, deltree, choice), runs under MS-DOS 5.0.  It's only that most of the source code passes through the DOSVER.H that version checking happens.

My MS-DOS 6.30 project is based on the comparison between MS-DOS 6.20 to MS-DOS 6.22, which mainly differ by strings (DOS 6.22 vs 6.2), and by way of some version checks (is dos 0614 vs 0616).  When you modify these tests, you can turn the bulk of msdos 6,22 into msdos x.yy, and run it under that.

Some DOS versions are different, but you will never know these differences unless you open the process up enough for them to see.  For example, 'xcopy' from Winme uses unicode output, so it can't be run under a raw DOS boot.  The german version of DOS does not seem to find the STIO interface, if these utilities are run under an english command.com/io.sys/msdos.sys.  Even the utilities from IBM DOS 6.30 (PPC), which is OS/2 DOS for the PPC.

#9 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

A full release of these versions at http://www.os2fan2.c...es/pcdos710.zip

All known files from all builds are included, along with such PC-DOS 2000 files that have been distributed with PC-DOS 7.1.  The U132 directory contains a range of files from the server kit and a thinkpad restore kit, that are of general interest.  All of these are documented.

The root-directory contains a PDF document, along with a modified version of bootpart.exe (as ibmpart.exe), that writes PC-DOS sectors rather than MS-DOS sectors.

Enjoy

#10 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

could you maybe make iso's, img for usb-stick or disk's.img for have a possible to installing ?

if you distributioning, then usable, would it nice :)

then is there a possible for test and play around in Virtualbox , quemu or other vm's :)

thy

#11 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

At the moment, I've only collected and documented them,  I have not done much more than load 119 boot + 132 utils on a disk.

The archive includes two blank floppy disks, to which you can copy ibmdos.com, ibmbio.com and command.com to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users