• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Do official Microsoft ISOs contain 'install.esd'?

Still, if you can point me to an official Windows image that contains an .esd, I'm definitely interested...

The manufacturer offers a 8.1 .esd to end users:
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 http://windows.micro...t-refresh-media
  • devdevadev likes this

#27 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks cdob for pointing official ESD based Windows 8.1 ISO......I need support of exactly the same ISO in Rufus.....

#28 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 359 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

I guess I should have been clearer with my question. Do official Microsoft ISOs, intended at being used to create Windows To Go drives, contain .esd's?

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 http://windows.micro...t-refresh-media

A refresh media is meant to reset an existing installation, not create a Windows To Go drive, so I don't think that qualifies.

Even if it did, after having looked at it, I'm gonna pass on .esd support. It looks like way too few people would be using in comparison to the effort it would take to add support in Rufus. since .esd are not compatible with the native WIM APIs that Windows provide. So, even as Rufus is a free product (or should I say, even more so because Rufus is a free product) it's simply not cost effective for me to add support for such a feature.

Again, unless you can point me to an official ISO, that contains a .esd, and that is intended by Microsoft to be used as a Windows To Go creation media, I'll have to treat .esd support the same way as I'd treat request to add support for ISOs containing RAR compressed install images: something that would be nice to have, but that only a handful of people might be using when creating custom ISOs and  is unlikely to benefit the vast majority of users, who will work with official installation media.

#29 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 359 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Please allow UEFI:TOGO so that It can also look for at least 2nd NTFS Partition if possible...

I added this last Thursday. Oh and I also added x86_32 boot support while I was at it.

Note that I also renamed the project from UEFI:TOGO to UEFI:NTFS because, well, the original name sucked with regards to conveying what it's actually meant to be used for, which is allow generic EFI boot of NTFS partitions.

Now, I guess that what you are actually going to be interested in is this (from https://github.com/p...master/res/uefi), which is the (now) 256KB FAT partition that you can copy as is onto a GPT formatted drive, and that will look for the first NTFS partition on the drive (which no longer has to be the very first partition, just the first one with type NTFS) and try to boot it in UEFI mode if it has the relevant bootia32.efi or bootx64.efi at the expected EFI location.

Happy now? :afro:

Oh, and there's also a Rufus 2.1 ALPHA (with 32 bit NTFS EFI boot support) for those interested. It also fixes a fairly important bug if you try to install Windows in GPT/UEFI/NTFS mode.

• devdevadev likes this

#30 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:02 AM

WOW.....Trillion of thanks for blessing my morning with awesome gifts and Yeah ! UEFI:NTFS really sound very cool..... 

Love you Akeo....

#31 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 359 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

You're welcome. :D

#32 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

UEFI:NTFS look for the first NTFS partition on the drive (which no longer has to be the very first partition, just the first one with type NTFS) and try to boot it in UEFI mode if it has the relevant bootia32.efi or bootx64.efi at the expected EFI location.

Can UEFI:NTFS not look for all NTFS partitions on the drive (at lease very 1st and 2nd NTFS partitions) ?

Please allow UEFI:NTFS to look for all NTFS partition in the drive if possible.....not just the first one with type NTFS...

Thanks in Advance

#33 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 359 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

I don't think I will do that, sorry. I already modifed UEFI:NTFS just for you, so that it would look for the first partition of type NTFS rather than just the very first partition. My time is limited, so if you need more, you'll need to modify the source yourself.

#34 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all your previous support and help. I can understand how BUSY you are. Actually I can't code becasue I know only ABC not XYZ. May be I could do this for myself but it will take years....BTW I am satisfied with your current UEFI:NTFS. I want to just put my wish in front of you for future consideration if you update UEFI:NTFS ever....

Regards...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users