#1 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm having more than usual hard time trying to boot checkn1x Linux ISO with Grub4DOS on a Windows 10 64-bit PC with Legacy BIOS only. The ISO itself is quite popular because it serves to run checkra1n jailbreak tool for iOS devices. There're videos on the web showing how to boot it on a Windows 10 PC with Unetbooting, which would require installing it onto the system hard drive. But I already have Grub4DOS there, so such mix is not welcome.

Can someone suggest a proper Grub4DOS boot menu for this ISO? It would allow to eliminate the step of burning the image to a USB thumb completely, and boot it much faster on a broader range of PCs. I tried a typical menu for Linux, but it failed.

Edited by zammibro, 13 May 2021 - 06:24 AM.

#2 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:21 PM

I can boot the checkn1x Linux ISO located in folder images on internal SSD

Boot configuration was created with UEFI_MULTI - the ISO can boot in BIOS mode with Grub2 loaded from Grub4dos menu

Booting is Legacy BIOS mode with Windows Boot Manager > Grub4dos > Grub2 Menu of a1ive - (hd0,0)/grub/core.img > Linux ISO in (hd0,msdos1)/images - /grub/grub_Linux.cfg

I modified \grub\grub_Linux.cfg by adding Grub2 menuentry for checkn1x ISO

if [ -e "$iso_drive/images/checkn1x-1.1.6.iso" ]; then
menuentry "checkn1x Linux - $iso_drive/images/checkn1x-1.1.6.iso" {
  set iso_path=/images/checkn1x-1.1.6.iso
  loopback loop $iso_drive$iso_path
  linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz quiet loglevel=3
  initrd (loop)/boot/initramfs.xz
}
fi

#3 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

with Grub2 loaded from Grub4dos menu

Does it mean Grub4DOS alone can NOT boot this Linux ISO - why exactly? I can boot this image straight from a USB thumb burned by BalenaEtcher on a Windows 10 64-bit PC with Legacy BIOS only. May be a regular Grub4DOS menu item can be derived as well?

And how to add Grub2 to the equation? Should I install it by what means and where? I don't have grub folder now on C: drive. Presumably, grub2 doesn't come included with latest chenall's Grub4DOS versions?

Edited by zammibro, 13 May 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:50 PM

The ISO has internally Grub2 System and is booting through GRUB.CFG

Also the USB made by BalenaEtcher is booting through Grub2.

Boot configuration was created with UEFI_MULTI that provides the Grub2 core.img present in grub folder.

Grub2 is not part of Grub4dos.

#5 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:56 PM

Sorry, I didn't use your tool before. By description it's aimed to format a USB Thumb drive and add multiboot menu (Grub2 based?) to it, so it adds some files and folders to the thumb alone the way. Are you saying the same tool can be used to create boot configuration to boot an ISO from a Windows PC internal SSD or HDD, and add some files for that too on the SSD? With or without modifying an existing MBR and boot files?

In my case, I've Grub4DOS installed for awhile, not sure by now if its installed in MBR, but its file and menu are also added to C: root, and I've 2 options by Windows Boot Manager (Win 10 and Grub4DOS)? How do I check that? Is it safe and how to use your tool with internal SSD instead of USB thumb?

Edited by zammibro, 13 May 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#6 maro

maro

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:03 AM

I don't really see why GRUB2 is required to boot a simple kernel, and an initrd file from this ISO image.

I've done a quick test with QEMU (x64), and the following minimal 'menu.lst' seemed to boot just fine:

map (hd0,0)/checkn1x-1.1.7.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initramfs.xz

Please note that one would have to adjust the path for the ISO file according to the circumstances. I've also removed the kernel parameters (i.e. 'quiet loglevel=3') since I'd rather want to see details of the boot process.

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:23 AM

I don't really see why GRUB2 is required to boot a simple kernel, and an initrd file from this ISO image.

I've done a quick test with QEMU (x64), and the following minimal 'menu.lst' seemed to boot just fine:

map (hd0,0)/checkn1x-1.1.7.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz

Please note that one would have to adjust the path for the ISO file according to the circumstances. I've also removed the kernel parameters (i.e. 'quiet loglevel=3') since I'd rather want to see details of the boot process.

I can confirm that such entry for menu.lst is working fine to boot with Grub4dos the ISO located on internal SSD   :)

Yesterday I tried Grub4dos booting the ISO and it failed.

This morning I see that I made a typing error in the menu.lst entry where I used initramf.xz instead of initramfs.xz 

from http://reboot.pro/in...=22254&p=218205

UEFI_MULTI can be used to let internal MBR partitioned SSD make booting with Grub4dos in BIOS mode.

Grub4dos entry is added to Windows Bootmanager Menu

Chainloading from Grub4dos to Grub2 Menu or Linux ISO Menu or vdiskchain and more is available.

UEFI_MULTI can be used to let internal MBR or GPT partitioned SSD make booting in UEFI mode with Grub2 or UEFI Grub4dos.

For UEFI mode booting some additional manual steps are needed as described in detail on page 11 of VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

The reason that manual steps are needed is just a precaution so that only experts can make this happen ....

In that case the computer is booting with Grub2 which can chainload to Windows Boot Manager or UEFI Grub4dos Menu and more options ....

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

Please note that one would have to adjust the path for the ISO file according to the circumstances.

I.e., to make it "portable", normally, if the .iso is in root of the volume, this would do:

title Find and boot checkn1x ISO

find --set-root /checkn1x-1.1.7.iso

map /checkn1x-1.1.7.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz <insert here desired kernel parameters>

:duff:

Wonko

#9 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:36 PM

Booting is Legacy BIOS mode with Windows Boot Manager > Grub4dos > Grub2 Menu of a1ive - (hd0,0)/grub/core.img > Linux ISO in (hd0,msdos1)/images - /grub/grub_Linux.cfg

I modified \grub\grub_Linux.cfg by adding Grub2 menuentry for checkn1x ISO

1. What is the difference btw (hd0,0) and (hd0,msdos1)? Are you saying I need to add a 1st DOS volume to the system SSD?

Should (hd0,0) be formatted in FAT32? How big volume it should be?

2. Can you provide download links for core.img and grub_Linux.cfg? Since I'm not sure how to use your USB tool for that HDD task.

3. Do I need to install Grub2 as primary bootloader on my PC to boot the UEFI ISO, even if it contradicts your own words above?

Edited by zammibro, 15 May 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#10 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:37 PM

the following minimal 'menu.lst' seemed to boot just fine (by Grub4dos):

Yes, but NO... It boots already half broken on screen depending on the ISO release version, but then... the tool upon start doesn't work as expected, it does NOT succeed through the proper jailbreak process of an attached iPhone, despite repeated many times with success when booted the same image from a USB thumb.

For example, for an older iPhone 5s one must use checkn1x 1.0.5 Linux ISO.  It doesn't seem to boot at all from that Grub4DOS menu. Is it any different in terms of boot?

Edited by zammibro, 15 May 2021 - 06:31 PM.

#11 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:59 PM

1.0.5 may have the kernel and initrd files in \boot folder named differently

All you have to do is open the ISO using 7zip and look at the \boot\grub\grub.cfg file - there you will see which files are used by the grub2 menu and you can specify the same files in your grub4dos menu.

In grub2, (hd0,msdos1) == (hd0,1)    OR   (hd0,0) in grub4dos

i.e. in grub4dos, partition numbering starts at 0, in grub2 it starts from 1.

you should also add the quiet loglevel=3

title checkn1x 117
map --mem (hd0,0)/checkn1x-1.1.7.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz quiet loglevel=3
boot

so change  vmlinuz and initramfs.xz according to what is on your particular iso.

#12 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:43 AM

In grub2, (hd0,msdos1) == (hd0,1)    OR   (hd0,0) in grub4dos

i.e. in grub4dos, partition numbering starts at 0, in grub2 it starts from 1.

What grub4dos menu item can chainload grub2 menu? I want to try booting the ISO from same internal SSD in UEFI mode.

add the quiet loglevel=3

That was helpful, now the latest checkrn1x ISOs boot from internal SSD with grub4dos and work as expected.  :P

change  vmlinuz and initramfs.xz according to what is on your particular iso.

That is work in progress so far.  :o  The grub.cfg has the following:

insmod all_video
linux /boot/vmlinuz quiet loglevel=3 boot=live toram
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

The above didn't work in a Grub4dos menu item, so I modified it somewhat:

title checkra1n 0.10.2 ISO
find --set-root /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso || map --mem /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)
map /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz debug boot=live vga=788 ip= findiso=/ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso toram
initrd /boot/initrd.img

That one booted to some deep enough point then claimed "boot failed" with no particular excuse. The ISO has 4 volumes, it seems to be the tough one even for the latest grub4dos chenall's build. May be kernel should look for a particular volume rather than the entire ISO at boot stage? Can someone look at it a bit closer

Edited by zammibro, 16 May 2021 - 02:26 AM.

#13 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:50 AM

Boot configuration was created with UEFI_MULTI that provides the Grub2 core.img present in grub folder.

I can't figure out from your VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf what is the scope of "boot configuration" in this case, including exhaustive list of all folders and files to be placed onto the SSD, and also if any manipulations with the SSD boot sector needed? Even less clear how to use your UEFI_MULTI (which is a set of downloadable ZIPs on the project Github page) to add such boot configuration to my SSD on a Legacy BIOS PC? In fact, it might be defined as "nightmare" to figure it out without a numbered steps list.  :D

Edited by zammibro, 16 May 2021 - 03:04 AM.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

These make little or no sense:

find --set-root /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso || map --mem /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)
map /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)

What you are telling grub4dos is:

1) look for a file and establish root where the file is found

2) IF the file is NOT found (and thus root is not changed), map in memory the file (which was not found) from current root (that was not changed) to device 0xff :w00t:

3) map anyway the file (that was either found or not found) from current root (that may or may not have been changed by the find --set-root command)  to device 0xff

Maybe you meant something *more like*:

find --set-root /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso
map /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)

or 

find --set-root /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso
map --mem /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff) || map  /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso (0xff)

I.e. essentially try directly mapping the file and if it doesn't work try mapping it in memory or viceversa. 

With some Linux distros, some "kernel parameters" or "cheat codes" are needed (like the "findiso=/ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5.iso" you used, that may or may not be valid for the specific distro/tool/release), otherwise you need to use the (more complex) partnew (fake iso partition) trick, see here:

http://reboot.pro/in...ic=9916&p=88531

Steve6375 has almost fully automated the approach in his Easy2boot tool, but it has to be tested if your particular .iso iworks this way "as is" or - say - it needs to be de-iso-hybridized (basically removing the partitoning from first few sectors of the .iso, i.e. having the first 16 - 2048 bytes each - sectors of the image blank). 

Wonko

#15 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:55 AM

checkra1n 1.0.5  seems to require stage 2 access to a 'CD', so when booting from ISO stage 2 does not work.

There appears to be no fromiso= or findiso= cheat code implemented.

So the only thing that works is to use the partnew trick of setting partition 4 of the USB drive to the start of the ISo file, e.g.

title checkn1x 105
partnew (hd0,3) 0 (hd0,0)/_ISO/LINUX/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso
map (hd0,0)/_ISO/LINUX/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz quiet loglevel=3 boot=live toram
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

The .iso file must be contiguous (use Defraggler to make it contiguous after copying it to the USB drive).

Also Easy2Boot works (just add the ISO) and so do the agFM and  Ventoy menu systems.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:26 AM

BUT the check for a possible pre-existing partition entry in that slot (hd0,3) NEEDS to be added to that example entry.

http://reboot.pro/in...c=9916&p=164127

Wonko

#17 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:56 PM

i.e.

if ISO is at /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso

title checkn1x 105
# check if ptn 4 is empty
parttype (hd0,3) | set check=
set check=%check:~-5,4%
# if empty then make new table entry in 4th position in ptn table
if %check%==0x00 partnew (hd0,3) 0 (hd0,0)/ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso
map (hd0,0)/ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz quiet loglevel=3 boot=live toram
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

#18 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:05 PM

if ISO is at /ISO/checkn1x-1.0.5-amd64.iso

Wait a minute... or a little longer. I "think" this requires further clarification. The original ISO image in question boots perfectly from a USB thumb without Grub4DOS when burned to it by BalenaEtcher. However, the entire discussion was around eliminating the USB stick alltogether due to various versions needed of checkra1n tools and corresponding ISOs, and regular tool updates. There is a clear need to boot any such ISO directly from a PC HDD.

Given this, we might face a problem, when adding some real or fictional but permanent partitions to the good (for now) working internal system drive. Are these new partitions removed as the last step of Grub4DOS menu execution? Or they are created just in RAM and vanish at the ISO exit and system reboot? There should be some auto cleanup process in place on G4D exit upon an ISO complete booting, and its only logical to add such cleanup command at the end of to the same G4D menu section???

Edited by zammibro, 16 May 2021 - 03:14 PM.

#19 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:11 PM

Your original post says you already have grub4dos installed on your hard disk.
So you can just add the menu to your existing menu.
The primary partition 4 slot must be unused.
No need for cleanup as it makes a type 0 partition which is not seen by windows.

#20 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:15 PM

I fail to understand why you don't just make an easy2boot or ventoy usb drive and, copy all your iso files onto it.
Job done! Now you can boot your pc or any pc to any iso. No need to edit your hard disk partitions, menu.lst file, etc.
It just works!

#21 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:27 PM

it makes a type 0 partition which is not seen by windows.

Would you be so kind to provide some external reference on this very topic, as it seems utmost important to me when dealing with internal HDDs? I still consider creating such temp partitions in RAM the best approach, given huge free RAM amount available on most systems and relatively small tools typically boot from ISOs.

I fail to understand why you don't just make an easy2boot or ventoy usb drive 

Its mutual misunderstanding. On my side, I can't understand why so many smart guys mess around USB sticks while completely ignoring the existing HDD or SSD drives right under their noses? Nothing is permanent in this world. If you try to mess around with highly protected iOS devices, you will soon discover that failure to perform a given task is a 50% chance, and on top iOS updates are frequent, thus requiring regular toolset updates to hack them. Like providing a root access, which is called jailbreaking iDevices, and allows to install plethora of new software not available at Apple store, and expanding scope of the OS with new features.

In short, I'm very tired to burn new and new test images onto the very tired USB stick. Its a lot easier to add and remove them from an internal HDD. On top, each time before burning a new image, the USB stick must be reformatted, and this is not a trivial task either. All this consumes a lot of time for no objective reason. No, it doesn't "just work", its always a trial and error headache process, sleepless nights, etc. In fact, Apple puts huge efforts to make it NOT work at all.  :)

Edited by zammibro, 16 May 2021 - 04:14 PM.

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

Given this, we might face a problem, when adding some real or fictional but permanent partitions to the good (for now) working internal system drive. Are these new partitions removed as the last step of Grub4DOS menu execution? Or they are created just in RAM and vanish at the ISO exit and system reboot? There should be some auto cleanup process in place on G4D exit upon an ISO complete booting, and its only logical to add such cleanup command at the end of to the same G4D menu section???

The set of grub4dos commands Steve6375 suggested do TWO things:
1) write a (fake) partition entry for the extents of the .iso
2) map and chainload the .iso

What happens if only the above step #2 ONLY is performed is that:
a. grub4dos chainloads the Linux kernel just fine
b. as soon as the Linux is booted it cannot find "self"

With the fake partition entry written to the MBR what happens is:
a. grub4dos chainloads the Linux kernel just fine
b. as soon as the Linux is booted it can find "self" just fine on partition (hd0,3)

The data written to the MBR partition entry is non-volatile, and of course you cannot delete/00 it out from grub4dos in the same menu.lst entry, because the presence of the.iso extents on that partition slot is needed by the Linux you are booting, and the moment grub4dos executes the (implied at the end of a menu.lst entry) "boot" command, it passes control to the Linux kernel thus it cannot anymore execute anything.

You can modify the Linux in such a way that it reloads/remaps the .iso after booting (and thus it can later 00 out the MBR partiton entry) or (as initially suggested) you can use grub2 that has available the loopback device, which is "volatile".

But unless you actually do the mapping and chainloading in grub4dos, i.e boot to that partition, a Linux booted on that machine will see the partition and (it depends on settings) either mount it or ignore it and any Windows will simply not see it.

Quick recap:
To the question:
How can I boot an unmodified Linux based .iso residing on USB stick or internal hard disk with grub4dos?
The answers are:
1) by mapping the .iso to a virtual CD like device, this will work on some distros, will need some specific kernel parameters or cheat codes on some other ones, will not work at all on some other ones (that have not support for the needed cheat codes)
2) in the case of the latter ones, use a workaround by writing (if a MBR partition table slot is available) an entry for the extents of the .iso to the MBR (and this has some strings attached, needs some caution as the MBR partition table is modified)
3) use grub4dos to chainload the GRUB2 (see below)

To the slightly different question:
How can I boot an unmodified Linux based .iso residing on USB stick or internal hard disk?
The answers are:
1) use GRUB2 or another bootmanager that supports the Linux loopback device

How exactly you can chainload GRUB2 from grub4dos may depend on the specific GRUB2 version and the way it is installed, generically it amounts to using the GRUB2 core.img as kernel:
http://reboot.pro/in...showtopic=16682

Wonko

#23 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

No, you are mistaken. You just make a ventoy or easy2boot usb drive once

Many people have not formatted their easy2boot usb drive for 5 years or more.
These are called multiboot usb drives, you simply copy the iso files onto the drive. A large drive can hold Hundreds of iso files. You can then legacy or uefi boot from the usb drive and select any of those iso files.

#24 zammibro

zammibro

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for further clarification, will need to study a bit more. Yes, adding new ISOs to the same USB stick is an option, may be I should look into. Would it also allow to boot Hackintosh IMG files? If not - why, and what tool would allow that combo of booting various Linux ISO and/or MAC IMG files from the same stick?

As to chainloading Grub 2 from Grub4DOS, hope it doesn't require to change MBR and to make Grub2 the main bootloader, so Windows Bootmanager boots from it.

Edited by zammibro, 16 May 2021 - 04:12 PM.

#25 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:17 PM

E2b does support booting from hackintosh dmg and hfs files, but there are limitations.
From e2b grub4dos usb, you can boot to agFM which is grub2 based. E2b ebooks are available and the website has over 100 pages of info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, checkn1x

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users