Photo
- - - - -

BOOTICE -> UEFI -> UEFI boot entry configuration file ? (management of UEFI startup items)

uefi bootice efi grub2 secure uefi boot refind clover bootx64.efi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

Hello Reboot's... :)

post-65263-0-07234200-1493429108.png

It looking that BOOTICE can deal with management of UEFI startup items (similar to editing the Windows startup configuration file BCD ?). It's looking we can manage multiple UEFI Bootloaders using BOOTICE -> UEFI -> UEFI Boot entry options. Had anybody tried it before ?

post-65263-0-10242500-1493427093.png

I think above UEFI options show only in UEFI Environment ? Can anybody provide English version of above screenshot ?

******************************************************************************************************

Next, boot the BootIce software . Select the UEFI card, and select Edit Boot Entries ... Click Add and navigate to \ efi \ boot \ bootx64.efi on your hard drive.

post-65263-0-99505000-1493427110.jpg

In above screenshot 'Boot Grub2' entry is added in 'UEFI Boot entry configuration file'. But what is 'UEFI Boot entry Configuration file' here ? is it '\efi\boot\bootx64.efi' ?

Can anybody provide some more info/pages related to BOOTICE -> UEFI -> UEFI Boot Entry ?

Thanks & Regards...

Attached Thumbnails

• UEFI.png
  • boot-Grub2-tu-o-cung-UEFI.jpg
  • bootice-banner2.png

#2 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:14 AM

I think its purpose is to add an item to the list of BOOT MENU. When you turn on the computer, press the hotkey to enter the BOOT MENU and quickly select to boot into an EFI file.

It also depends on the machine, my computer was never successful using this.

Maybe it's similar to efibootmgr on Linux.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

It seems like it can edit the UEFI NVRAM boot entries.

Read:

Only seemingly unrelated:
https://docs.microso...ns-in-efi-nvram

And:

https://superuser.co...-from-boot-menu

http://pete.akeo.ie/...tries-with.html

Basically the stupid EFI/UEFI has an area when you can store boot options.

:duff:

Wonko

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

I can confirm that UEFI options do appear in BootIce (English) when running v1.3.3 on Windows 10 x64 booting in UEFI mode. 

#5 Raex

Raex

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

Sorry to rake this year old post now, but does bootice let you change uefi entry order via command line???

#6 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

BOOTICE also works on older Windows systems, e.g. WinXP SP2 x64 or x86. You can edit the BCD file from newer systems.

I have a question. Does the program have direct access to NVRAM or is it due to the Windows files and OS kernel?

I mean, can you edit UEFI NVRAM from WinXP SP2 x64 running under UEFI?

#7 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:12 PM

As far as you booted from a OS or WinPE on UEFI, you are able to open that tab of BootIce 1.3.3.2 and edit the NVRAM options on that machine, But not on the 1.3.4 version, it has some issue with this feature.

Remember also Win 7 and older OSs do not have full capacity to boot on MB with a modern versions of UEFI (starting from about mid 2013, when the specs. changed to add Secure Boot) and then it is required to disable Secure Boot.

For more info of 1.3.4 version issue, and download link for v1.3.3.2 read this topic: http://reboot.pro/to...332/?hl=bootice

alacran

#8 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:32 AM

As far as you booted from a OS or WinPE on UEFI, you are able to open that tab of BootIce 1.3.3.2 and edit the NVRAM options on that machine, But not on the 1.3.4 version, it has some issue with this feature.

I am testing both version the BOOTICE 1.3.3.2 and 1.3.4 in the VMware Workstation 8 on WinXP SP2 x64 booted from UEFI and I can't modify NVRAM:

winxp_x64_bootice_fail.png

Only on WinPE 3 or newer, I can easily add NVRAM entry in both BOOTICE versions: http://reboot.pro/to...32/#entry213693

This means that BOOTICE has access to NVRAM via the Windows operating system which supports UEFI.

#9 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:52 AM

On my previous post I said:

Remember also Win 7 and older OSs do not have full capacity to boot on MB with a modern versions of UEFI (starting from about mid 2013, when the specs. changed to add Secure Boot) and then it is required to disable Secure Boot.

For more info of 1.3.4 version issue, and download link for v1.3.3.2 read this topic: http://reboot.pro/to...332/?hl=bootice

alacran

And if you take a look to the picture attached on your post it clearly says: Only available in UEFI v2.3.1 or higher system

That is exactly the new espec. version (from mid 2013) I was talking about, and it applies to the OS and to the Mother Board too, both need to comply with UEFI v2.3.1, Win 7 and older do not comply with UEFI v2.3.1, wich one of its main additions was the Secure Boot.

Win 7 can not boot in UEFI (on real hardware) when Secure Boot is enabled, so it do not fully comply UEFI spec v2.3.1.

VM(s) work fine for certain uses, but some features are not exactly emulated and you may get wrong impressions.

EDIT: VMware Workstation 8.0, was released on 2011 09 14, and I'm sure it is using an UEFI firmware that do not include Secure Boot that was incorporated later (mid 2013) to the v2.3.1 specs., I think for that reason you can easily boot on UEFI a WinPE 3 (based on Win 7) on it.

alacran

#10 aco319sig

aco319sig
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

Regarding BootICE in a terminal environment: Are there command line arguments for identifying and re-ordering the system boot order in UEFI?

I do image management for a large corporation, and we have an automated re-imaging process that occasionally fails at the "reboot to installer" step since the newly overwritten or replaced drive shows up at the bottom of the boot list, below "Launch EFI Shell".  The environment just prior to this is WinPE 10.  BootICE works fine with manually re-ordering the boot options since there is a human that can recognize and select the needed boot object, but I was hoping that I could find out what the command line switches are that allow this to be scripted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uefi, bootice, efi, grub2, secure uefi boot, refind, clover, bootx64.efi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users