6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Mitch

Ben Mitch
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi. i have been messing around trying to get persistent mode working on a few distro's. anyway i didnt back up my menu.lst file and i was wondering if i could just mod the syslinux.cfg? well i try it and it keeps coming up with "warning! No such command: Kernal" - menu.lst file:

MENU title XBOOT DVD
TIMEOUT 300
color magenta/white white/magenta black/white black/white

### MENU END
title MAIN MENU
configfile /menu.lst
### MENU END

### MENU START
title Linux
KERNEL /boot/syslinux/vesamenu.c32
APPEND /boot/syslinux/linux.cfg
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
### MENU END

-----------
then the linu.cfg:
MENU TITLE Linux
INCLUDE /boot/syslinux/theme.cfg
INCLUDE /boot/syslinux/mainmenu.cfg

### MENU START
LABEL - Slitaz
MENU LABEL Slitaz
LINUX /boot/syslinux/grub.exe
APPEND --config-file="ls /images/slitaz.iso || find --set-root /images/slitaz.iso;map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/slitaz.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/slitaz.iso (0xff);map --hook;chainloader (0xff)"
TEXT HELP
SLITAZ-4.0.ISO (34.7 MB)

ENDTEXT
### MENU END

--------------

can you see any problems? 

thanks for your help

Ben

#2 Ben Mitch

Ben Mitch
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

oh and i was wonder why there is like 4 different formats for the title of a menu entry : LABEL, title, menuentry, menu label 

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think you are mixing up the menus. Some are syslinux menus and some are grub4dos menus.

grub4dos menus have

title xxxxx   <<< lower case for all commands (first word of line)

syslinux menus have uppercase commands in format..

LABEL xxx

MENU xxx

menu.lst is the normal name for the grub4dos menu - so anything in here should have lowercase commands.

The syntax for grub4dos is different to syslinux - you cannot just used text from one and put it in the other!

#4 Ben Mitch

Ben Mitch
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the quick resonse. i like your website by the way. very helpful. 

i was going to try figure it out but i dont really know it works.

I used xboot to create the menu.lst to start with cos i wanted an win7 boot disc + some linux distro's and sortment of other PC repair tools. xboot create and menu entry linking to another menu /boot/grud4dos/linux.cfg. what syntax would i use to relink the 2 menus? whats the best way to fix the menu.lst. can you give me an example of how a menu entry should look please.

trying to reinstall the menu.lst using xboot doesnt work it just says installed and doesnt do anything.

thanks for your help

Edited by Ben Mitch, 09 January 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

If you want to roll your own multiboot - I would not start with Xboot. Any modifications you make will be undone if you need  to re-run Xboot and you will find it difficult to reproduce the results. You could spend a lot of time getting it to work properly and will need a lot of help from others as there is no help on modifying xboot menus that is easy to follow.

So scrap Xboot (which does not seem to be actively supported any more by the developer) and go with a grub4dos-based USB stick.

There is no simple point-and-click option which will do everything you want, so follow the grub4dos tutorial, get to know grub4dos and start making your own USB drive using the tutorials.

#6 Ben Mitch

Ben Mitch
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

ok i will give it a shot.

thanks

#7 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hi. i have been messing around trying to get persistent mode working on a few distro's. anyway i didnt back up my menu.lst file and i was wondering if i could just mod the syslinux.cfg? well i try it and it keeps coming up with "warning! No such command: Kernal"

It looks like somewhere there is a configuration file which has a typographical error in it: "Kernal" instead of the correct spelling, which is "Kernel".  The file you've shared does not include this error, but if you thoroughly search all files, you should find which file does have the error.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: menu.lst, warning! no such command, persistent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users