wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 February 2022 - 05:42 AM

In MEDIUM and SMALL Version the System Font is Italic.

I would like to use there the same Font Setting as in LARGE Explorer Version and as in Normal Win 10 x64.

Do you know How to change the Default Font Settings in WinPE ?

#102 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 February 2022 - 06:45 AM

The WinXShell Options are all working fine in LARGE Explorer Version, so I propose to keep the WinXShell Menu Items. They have value.

Yes, just tested, and they do work fine, I assumed they will not, so keep them is ok.

And no, I don't know how to change the font, but I think for those two versions it could be maybe required to edit WinXShell, but also don't know where exactly.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#103 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 February 2022 - 07:34 AM

@ wimb

I went to \Make_WinPE_Trusted-33\Make_WinPE\Add_Folders_Files\Program Files\WinXShell\wxsUI\UI_Settings.zip, and extracted main.xml file, this is the main config file used by WinXShell, when opened in Notepad++ it founds the word font 16 times, but I didn't see an option to change default font.

Sorry, I can't find where to change default font.

alacran

#104 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 February 2022 - 07:50 AM

I have got a solution by Adding segoeui.ttf and using FontSubstitutes in Registry to Replace Italic by Standard segoeui.ttf Font

Added in Add_Install_Files_MEDIUM.txt and Add_Install_Files_SMALL.txt

; Default System Font - FontSubstitutes "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="Segoe UI (TrueType)" in TK_10_SOFTWARE_MMC.reg
\Windows\Fonts\segoeui.ttf

Added in TK_10_SOFTWARE_MMC.reg and TK_11_SOFTWARE_MMC.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
"Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
"Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="Segoe UI (TrueType)"

• alacran likes this

#105 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 February 2022 - 11:51 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-34 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

Download:  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso  (best)    Or  Win11_English_x64v1.iso  Or  Win11_English_x64.iso  (better than 11v1)

- Added - wimlib Error handling e.g. useful in case of Overflow
- LARGE Explorer Version - Added PC-CTMenu.exe for PC Context Menu -  Thanks to alacran
- MEDIUM and SMALL Version - Added Font segoeui.ttf with Registry Fix to get Standard instead of Italic Font
- Update offlinereg to support import on DEFAULT Hive + Fix import double backslash as single backslash - Thanks to erwan.l

• alacran likes this

#106 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

JFYI

Tested v3.4 and all working fine.

I was able to reduce a little more the SMALL version, now it is only 369 MB.  And all seems working fine as in previous version.

If installed in Compact LZX mode on a VHD, it fits in a 800 MB VHD having 361 MB free, and consumes less than 400 MB of Ram.

Attached SMALL Reduced.7z  Password = alacran

It contains my last version of the File_Lists, used to achieve this size.

EDIT: It seems this is final version, I can't go further in reducing the SMALL version.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#107 vigipirate

vigipirate

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 28 February 2022 - 11:02 AM

hello video demonstration please thank you

#108 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 March 2022 - 05:15 AM

JFYI

I was able to reduce a bit more the SMALL version, it is now only 366 MB, and this is final version.

Attached SMALL_Reduced_Final_version.7z   Password = alacran

The *.7z file contains final version of the File_Lists, used to achieve this size.

Hope you enjoy it as I do.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#109 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 March 2022 - 05:48 AM

On the other hand the LARGE (Explorer) version is not yet capable to run TeamViewerPortable, that only runs from Admin account.

So far we have a WIM file running Explorer, next and final requirement is make this WIM capable to optionally boot as Admin, to satisfy the requirement from TeamViewerPortable.

I was able to collect all info from Win10XPE and it's attached in following file:

Attached Admin.7z   Password = alacran

I will start making some test, and let you know the results ASAP.

alacran

Attached Files

• Attached File  Admin.7z   192.27KB   16 downloads

• wimb likes this

#110 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:01 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-35 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

Download:  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso  (best)    Or  Win11_English_x64v1.iso  Or  Win11_English_x64.iso  (better than 11v1)

- SMALL Version - Added MMC support e.g. Device and Disk Manager
- SMALL Version - New version for Add_Install_Files_SMALL.txt - Reduce Size - Now 337 MB  :) 
- SMALL Version - Reduce Size - Thanks to alacran for Remove_Files_SMALL.txt and Remove_Folders_SMALL.txt

• alacran likes this

#111 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 March 2022 - 11:28 AM

I tested v35 with Win11_English_x64v1.iso. MBR.wim+BIOS old system, graphics card is Radeon 4350 (so display driver is small ;-)

Booted this way g4d->bootmgr->select PE_22000_US_S for RAMBOOT.

I did not do "Copy PE_Tools.zip and Drive.y and Portables.zip to Root of any Drive".

I mainly use BOOTICE, wimlib, bcdedit+bcdboot, DiskGenius when I boot from a PE, all worked fine. Boots up faster than Win10XPE.

Suggestions for later maybe :

- option to only recreate the wim from the Mount folder, the user can add/remove files and then re-create the wim.

- "Copy PE_Tools.zip and Drive.y and Portables.zip to Root of any Drive" should be optional.

My wim was 399MB.

When exactly are the desktop shortcuts created is system32\config\systemprofile?

The only recent W10 I have is LTSC 2021. both small & medium failed to boot.

#112 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2022 - 01:25 PM

@gbrao

Thanks for testing.  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso is easy to download. Never used LTSC 2021.

Shortcuts for SMALL and MEDIUM Version are copied from Add_Folders_Files\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile

Shortcuts for LARGE Explorer Version are in Add_10_LARGE_EXPL\Users\Default

option to only recreate the wim from the Mount folder, the user can add/remove files and then re-create the wim.

That Option can indeed be interesting and I might Add such option.

Copy and Extract of PE_Tool.zip and Drive.y to any drive is really something the user can do better manually.

#113 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2022 - 01:18 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-35 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS

Tested and my Small build is 338 MB.  Good work, it is 38 MB smaller now.

I was traying to make a new build during running Small version, and I noticed that it is not capable to mount ISO files by means Win tools or using ImDisk.

Only WinNTSetup can mount ISOs but when we close WinNTSetup the ISO is dismounted.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#114 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2022 - 09:22 AM

In SMALL PE_19041_US then ForefoxPortable\App\firefox64\firefox.exe is always beginning with the Welcome Screens.

How to Skip Welcome screens and Default Browser Popup in Firefox x64 ?

#115 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2022 - 02:25 PM

Yes, this is the way it starts allways.

But let me see if I can do something to avoid this behaviour, as I remember some time ago I was able to import and load on Ram a preconfigured profile when I was testing an old version of my Mini-8x64.vhd, but please be patient as I need to first find that info, and latter find the way to adapt it to work on SMALL PE version.

By the way following two lines need to be commented in Remove_Files_SMALL.txt, to avoid deletion, as now they are working fine since last release:

; \Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop\DeviceManagement.lnk
; \Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop\DiskManagement.lnk

alacran

• wimb likes this

#116 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2022 - 02:38 PM

In the mean time I have Imdisk mount VHD and Imdisk RAMDISK working in SMALL and MEDIUM Version.

Also with small addition I have WiFi Internet working in SMALL Version. So we are making progress ...

Now the focus is on mounting ISO with double-click that works in MEDIUM but not in SMALL Version.

• alacran likes this

#117 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2022 - 04:59 PM

Also with small addition I have WiFi Internet working in SMALL Version. So we are making progress ...

It is working fine as it is, I'm posting from FireFox on my PE_10x64_US_S.wim, without any problem.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#118 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:58 PM

It is working fine as it is, I'm posting from FireFox on my PE_10x64_US_S.wim, without any problem.

For proper Install of my WiFi driver I need some Extra Catalog files in Catroot folder.

So your WiFi driver is probably installed more easily ....

Double-click on ISO to Mount ISO  is working Now for me in SMALL Version and I know what extra System32 files are needed.

#119 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 March 2022 - 07:00 AM

In SMALL PE_19041_US then ForefoxPortable\App\firefox64\firefox.exe is always beginning with the Welcome Screens.

How to Skip Welcome screens and Default Browser Popup in Firefox x64 ?

Yes, this is the way it starts allways.

But let me see if I can do something to avoid this behaviour, as I remember some time ago I was able to import and load on Ram a preconfigured profile when I was testing an old version of my Mini-8x64.vhd, but please be patient as I need to first find that info, and latter find the way to adapt it to work on SMALL PE version.

I found the info and it involves modify the internal settings of FireFox, to redirect the profile and its Temp files to our desired location (to a RamDisk in this case), something we will not want to do in this case, as we will destroy then the pre-configured settings when booting from the portable launcher (x86), Y:\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe, and the portable launcher may not work fine when booting from another PE x86 capable.

But nevertheless I found and alternative method to keep and load our profile settings, favorite links and passwords every boot, on PEs not x86 capables.

I'm using Simple Firefox Backup, (fBackup), since some years ago, very useful if making a new OS installation or move the datas to another PC, as long as the PC user is the same, this is not a problem in SMALL PE because the user is always SYSTEM.

Procedure:  (This procedure is also included into the download)

NOTE: I strongly recomend to make your own first backup, this way the gererated key4.db will be unique for each one, use the included Backup just for testing pourposes.

First time boot:

1. Download and extract fBackup to a folder into your Y drive.
  2. Boot from SMALL PE, but avoid connecting to Internet, unplug the cable or USB device before boot if required.
  3. Run FireFox from the link (Firefox_x64) in desktop.
  4. Configure the program to your prefereces.
  5. Close FireFox, run fBackup and create a profile backup and close fBackup.

Following boots:

1. Boot from SMALL PE, and connect to Internet.
  2. Run FireFox from the link (Firefox_x64) in desktop.
  3. Close FireFox.
  4. Run fBackup, restore the profile backup and close fBackup. Don't try to run FireFox from it.
  5. Run FireFox again and this time it will load the restored profile.
  6. Now go to all your favorite pages and save the links and the passwords if you want, (better save all the info in one sesion).
  7. After closing FireFox, don't forget to make a new backup to keep all your favorite links and passwords for next boot.

NOTE-2: Sorry for the inconvenience of run FireFox twice, but this is caused because fBackup needs to find a profile to be able to load the backup, and this profile is volatile in a PE environment.

To make things easier for the users testing this procedure, I attached here a copy of fBackup, including a pre-configured profile backup made during First time boot. I added links to rebbot.pro and MSFN in FireFox Bookmark ToolBar, of course this backup does not contain any password yet, you will have to do it yourself following instructions on Following boots section.

Don't forget I strongly recomend to make your own first backup, this way the gererated key4.db will be unique for each one.

Another option could be to create an account in FireFox Sync to synchronize the settings, links and passwords in FireFox, But I always prefer to keep my passwords on my PC, trying to keep my privacy as much as possible.

Attached  FireFox Profile Backup.7z  Password = alacran

Hope this this can be useful for you, or some future readers.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#120 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2022 - 08:07 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-36 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

- SMALL and MEDIUM Version - Reduce Size and Improve Functionality - Cleanup
- MEDIUM = SMALL + SysWOW64 for 32-bits Apps support - Increase in WIM Size = 100 MB
- ImDisk RAMDISK and ImDisk Mount VHD
- Mount ISO by double-click
- Install of WiFi driver in SMALL Version improved by Adding Catalog files in Catroot folder
- LARGE Explorer Version Unchanged - very equal to 10XPE without Apps

Typical WinPE WIM File Sizes

Attached File  WinPE_Sizes_2022-03-03_092508.jpg   105.62KB   2 downloads

• alacran likes this

#121 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:30 AM

Just tested v3.6 making an SMALL PE build and it is working fantastic.

I really love this very tiny version, with so many functions in so little used space.

I apreciate a lot all your hard work to improve so much this version. Hope you don't mind for following suggestions but I would like it to be perfect, only suggestions to make it perfect are:

1. Change that ugly icon for imdisk.cpl, with the attached, taken from the Start menu that looks very much better, as you can see in the attached photo.
  2. Hotswap pre-set options to remove devices should be as in attached photo, maybe a little REG file can do the trick.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#122 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:38 AM

Just tested v3.6 making an SMALL PE build and it is working fantastic.

I really love this very tiny version, with so many functions in so little used space.

I apreciate a lot all your hard work to improve so much this version. Hope you don't mind for following suggestions but I would like it to be perfect, only suggestions to make it perfect are:

1. Change that ugly icon for imdisk.cpl, with the attached, taken from the Start menu that looks very much better.
  2. Hotswap pre-set option to remove devices should be as in attached photo, maybe a little REG file can do the trick.

Thank you for testing and for your appreciation for the SMALL PE  :)

Sure the ImDisk icon must be improved and I will see if we can do the pre-set for Hotswap

:cheers:

#123 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 March 2022 - 11:13 AM

JFYI

NOTE-2: Sorry for the inconvenience of run FireFox twice, but this is caused because fBackup needs to find a profile to be able to load the backup, and this profile is volatile in a PE environment.

Trying to avoid the doble launch of FireFox, I made a SFX file to extract in advance the same info contained into fBackup to the right location of the profile, that in SMALL PE is: %WINDIR%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXX\ but the folder name containing the data is aleatory and this approach didn't work, as every boot the folder name is different, that's why fBackup requires the pre-existence of that folder.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#124 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 March 2022 - 11:39 AM

@ wimb

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-36 -  pw=bootwimb   for Windows 10/11 x64 OS 

- SMALL and MEDIUM Version - Reduce Size and Improve Functionality - Cleanup

Just read in detail all the File_Lists related to MEDIUM and SMALL and I have to contratulate you my friend, as all they look now very clean and perfectly in order, every section has the source for the items in the list or from where came the files that need to be removed.

Congratulations it is a very professional work.

Thank you for testing and for your appreciation for the SMALL PE  :)

Sure the ImDisk icon must be improved and I will see if we can do the pre-set for Hotswap

:cheers:

No problem my friend, it is always a pleasure to test new tools or its improvements, and try to be useful giving some litlle ideas/suggestions.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#125 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 March 2022 - 05:01 PM

Good news:

I finally was able to avoid the need to use fBackup and also launch twice FireFox, all we need to do is backup two Mozilla folders, and extract them in advance before running FireFox. In SMALL PE the two folders are located in:

\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Mozilla and in \Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

EDIT: I was wrong, only required folder is: \Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

IAW tests made by wimd and commented in this post, and I can confirm that info.

If you want to test this approach, for your convenience I made an SFX file that will extract them in required locations.

Attached Firefox_Profile.7z  Password = alacran      (The FireFox pre-configuration is the same as in post No. 119)

EDIT-2: This file was re-uploaded containing only the single folder required.

NOTE: I'm using FirefoxPortable v97.0.1 English, (the very las version), downloaded from PortableApps.com in this page.

Open the attached 7.z file and just extract Firefox_Profile.exe (Y drive is a good location), boot from your SMALL PE, and run Firefox_Profile.exe, that's all, now the first time you run FireFox it will be pre-configured, no more need of double launching it.  Just remember every time you boot from your SMALL PE, you need to run Firefox_Profile.exe before running FireFox.

I strongly recommend every user needs to collect their own set of files and create their own SFX or 7.z file, this is a safety precaution as doing it this way the folders with the profile will have random names and also the gererated key4.db will be unique for each one, use the included Backup just for testing pourposes.

Before create your personal profile backup files it is highly recommended to run CCleaner Portable to delete all garbage and cookies into them, this way they will be smaller.

You can download the CCleaner portable version from this page.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe, wimlib, winntsetup, wim

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users