Photo
- - - - -

UNetbootin Ubuntu space for persistence ??

unetbootin ubuntu persistence drive space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevekramer99

stevekramer99

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hello,

I have a few questions please!

I am installing UBUNTU onto a USB drive, but I don't understand about the option for drive space for persistence. Can someone please explain what this does and how it could effect me? I remember setting up Ubuntu on USB before and this option was not there I think.

One other question - I have used UNetbootin once before on a USB drive with Linux but didn't understand how it worked - can someone please tell me, where does the UNetbootin OS save files? Is everything saved to the USB - ie. are you limited by the USB drive space?  When a program saves any file, or you install any program, is everything saved to the USB drive only? Is it possible to access another drive for general use?

thanks!
steve

Edited by stevekramer99, 07 July 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#2 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hi stevekramer99, Welcome to reboot.

The persistence file is used by newer linux's to save changes too.

In simplified terms:
the persistence file is overlayed onto the Linux OS's file system,
thus keeping any changes made, If you boot without the persistence file, 
you boot to a fresh unchanged OS, much like a 'true' PE would do.

My favorite tool for troubleshooting PC's is a USB external HD.
I have several flavors of Linux running from .ISO's or 'Flat File Boots' via Grub4Dos,
Upon first use of these Linux's, I will usually supply a 1 to 2 Gig persistence file,
so as to allow for plenty of room for these OS's to change and grow.

Most Linux OS's require the persistence file to reside on a FAT/FAT32, EXT?, ExFat partition.
Only a few Linux OS's that I've played with will play nice with persistence file on NTFS, etc.
Some flavors of linux will allow the persistence file to reside elsewhere.

I have no experience with UNetbootin, but I would conjecture that it 'has' to save
any changes to itself/boot device, and so then yes, you would be limited by size of USB.

Regards
RoyM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unetbootin, ubuntu, persistence, drive space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users