#1 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

On my brother's PC, I've got a menu.lst with an entry "Extra tools" which then loads tools.lst. This contains several entries, including

title Win7 x64 SP1 DVD
find --set-root /iso/Win7SP1_Refresh_x64.ISO
map /iso/Win7SP1_Refresh_x64.ISO (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title Win7 x64 Repair Disc
find --set-root /iso/Win7x64_Repair_Disc.iso
map --mem /iso/Win7x64_Repair_Disc.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

However, when selecting either of these he says he saw "Press a key to boot from CD" which then proceeded anyway but then returned him back to the first menu.lst.

I've also been trying to boot these ISOs on my own PC in Virtualbox but they don't work there either and with both after "Loading files" it says "Windows failed to start. Status 0xc0000225. An unexpected error has occured". I was only trying to boot them in Virtualbox so I could walk my brother through the steps though and being able to boot them from grub4dos on his PC is the main issue, so that I can try and repair his currently BSOD on boot Windows.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

This hopefully will skip the "hit a key".

Build new ISOs not containing bootfix.bin

I'm not sure whether then the boot is as intended. Maybe there is a different issue which I cannot recognise with the current informations.

Peter

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've also been trying to boot these ISOs on my own PC in Virtualbox but they don't work there either and with both after "Loading files" it says "Windows failed to start. Status 0xc0000225. An unexpected error has occured". I was only trying to boot them in Virtualbox so I could walk my brother through the steps though and being able to boot them from grub4dos on his PC is the main issue, so that I can try and repair his currently BSOD on boot Windows.

Broken google? :w00t: :ph34r:

https://forums.virtu...php?f=6&t=37624

Of course the "wrong" setting in Virtualbox has nothing to do with the completely different error that your brother has (which sounds a lot more like a corrupted .iso)...

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Broken google? :w00t: :ph34r:

https://forums.virtu...php?f=6&t=37624

Of course the "wrong" setting in Virtualbox has nothing to do with the completely different error that your brother has (which sounds a lot more like a corrupted .iso)...

:cheers:

Wonko

Thanks, it was the Enable IO APIC option I needed to enable in Virtualbox.

I'd be surprised if both the ISOs on my brother's PC had spontaneously corrupted. I'll try moving the grub4dos entries into the menu.lst, not that it should make any difference.

#5 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

This hopefully will skip the "hit a key".

Build new ISOs not containing bootfix.bin

I'm not sure whether then the boot is as intended. Maybe there is a different issue which I cannot recognise with the current informations.

Peter

Thanks for the tip, I'll bear that in mind in future. I'll look into removing it (apparently there's an EFI file that might need to removed as well for EFI motherboards) once I've got him to backup the ISOs, in case I screw them up!

#6 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

It seems the Repair ISO probably is corrupted as that still doesn't work but the Win7 SP1 ISO is working now and we managed to boot that but still couldn't do sfc /scannow from the command prompt as it says "A repair is pending and needs to be completed, please restart" as it did when trying from Safe Mode (minimal).

Anyway, we managed to install Win7 x64 into a VHD in the working Win7 x32 Portable but now that's stopped booting and goes straight to Startup Repair. I've written up exactly what we did in my other thread, if anyone would be kind enough to take a look as my brother and I are both losing patience :( http://reboot.pro/to...indows-updates/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users