• 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

babjanlnt,

No idea really.

Are you referring to this?

http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463294.aspx

If so, why don't you try it yourself...just use DISM to add ready-made drivers to a WinPE4 and see what happens.

#102 babjanlnt

babjanlnt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi ericgl,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing WDM and KMDF drivers and they worked perfectly but UMDF drivers are not working. So posted this query :-)

#103 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

And this driver that you're trying to add to WinPE4.0, does it install correctly on a regular version of Windows 8?

I mean - Have you actually installed this driver and saw it working properly with your device?

Also, were you using UMDF library v1.11 when you built this driver?

http://msdn.microsof...rdware/ff561356(v=vs.85).aspx

UMDF library v1.11 is required for Win8, therefore also for WinPE4.0.

It says that this library already comes built-in into Windows 8.

Perhaps one of the packages for WinPE that contains this library needs to be added to your WinPE4.0 before adding a driver that requires it.

As to which package that is, I have no clue (yet).

#104 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

babjanlnt,

I have checked my WinPE4.0. The Windows\System32\drivers\UMDF folder exists, but it was empty.

I also checked another flash drive I have which was created with Win8PE_SE project. The UMDF folder was also empty.

So, I extracted the UMDF folder from a Win8 Pro VL x64 eng.iso which I have, and added its contents manually to the WIM file in my WinPE4.0.

12114483.png

12114492.png

So now you can have the UMDF driver inside your WinPE4.0 x64.

#105 babjanlnt

babjanlnt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hi ericgl,

Thanks for your efforts.

The UMDF driver which i want to install on WinPE 4.0 perfectly works fine on win8.

Win8 by default comes with UMDF support but WinPE doesn't have UMDF framework. I have gone through all the packages that are available but i didn't find any package related to UMDF framework. I don't think by just copying the UMDF folder from win8 to WinPE will help but still i will try this and let you know,

Thank you

#106 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

The UMDF driver which i want to install on WinPE 4.0
Which device do you like to support?
Which UMDF device driver do you like to install?
Can you name a manufacturer link?

#107 Craig Givant

Craig Givant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hello to all.

Thank you for all this great information! Honestly you folks are way more advanced than me but I don't consider myself a rookie. Unfortunately I can not get my newly created USB Stick to Boot. I followed the directions specifically and believe I have created the stick properly, My hunch is that the UEFI Boot on my system simply won't boot this stick but I appeal to you all for recommendations. 

This stick was created solely to allow me to image the factory partitions on a new Dell Latitude 10 before I delete those partitions to reclaim the extra space on the SSD. I believe I can use Diskpart to mount these partitions and ImageX to capture them but I would still like to get to the bottom of this booting issue. Especially considering that if I can't boot to the stick, restoring the images will be .. shall we say ... "problematic".

System : 32bit

Secure Boot : OFF

Legacy Boot Option : UNAVAILABLE (I Can't find it anywhere in the BIOS)

The USB stick IS visible from Setup and I can select is as a boot device but it will NOT allow me to simply select the stick. It asks me to browse to a file and I have tried all of them I can think of. No Joy.

I HAVE successfully created a bootable stick using Dell's system recovery program and the file I ultimately selected on that stick was called bootx64.efi. No such file exists on my newly created stick. I tried the bootia32.efi with no luck.

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Craig

#108 babjanlnt

babjanlnt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Which device do you like to support?
Which UMDF device driver do you like to install?
Can you name a manufacturer link?

Sorry its a proprietary driver we have developed on win8 which i cannot share but you can try with sample umdf driver provided by msdn :

http://code.msdn.mic...ELETON-3a06c09e

#109 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hello to all.

Thank you for all this great information! Honestly you folks are way more advanced than me but I don't consider myself a rookie. Unfortunately I can not get my newly created USB Stick to Boot. I followed the directions specifically and believe I have created the stick properly, My hunch is that the UEFI Boot on my system simply won't boot this stick but I appeal to you all for recommendations. 

This stick was created solely to allow me to image the factory partitions on a new Dell Latitude 10 before I delete those partitions to reclaim the extra space on the SSD. I believe I can use Diskpart to mount these partitions and ImageX to capture them but I would still like to get to the bottom of this booting issue. Especially considering that if I can't boot to the stick, restoring the images will be .. shall we say ... "problematic".

System : 32bit

Secure Boot : OFF

Legacy Boot Option : UNAVAILABLE (I Can't find it anywhere in the BIOS)

The USB stick IS visible from Setup and I can select is as a boot device but it will NOT allow me to simply select the stick. It asks me to browse to a file and I have tried all of them I can think of. No Joy.

I HAVE successfully created a bootable stick using Dell's system recovery program and the file I ultimately selected on that stick was called bootx64.efi. No such file exists on my newly created stick. I tried the bootia32.efi with no luck.

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Craig

Please start a new thread instead of hijacking someone else's! Did you enable USB Configuration in the BIOS?

Try booting the stick using an emulator (e.g. QEMU - as in RMPrepUSB).

#110 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

babjanlnt,

Have you tried my manual method?

If so, did it work with your own-developed UMDF driver?

By the way, there is a WinPE package called WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab (and the required mui is WinPE-EnhancedStorage_en-us.cab).

Have you tried adding these packages to your WinPE? I didn't list them in my tutorial.

The WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab package contains ehstortcgdrv.inf.

Perhaps this is what you need?

#111 Craig Givant

Craig Givant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Steve,

I apologize that my post was considered a "hijack" of this thread. Just to be clear, the stick I created was done so using the instructions in the OP and I assumed it was relevant to post my question here. In reviewing the remaining posts from this thread I did not see this "issue" discussed and hoped for not only an answer for myself, but also for those that my have similar goals using this method. As I said, I was able to boot from another stick so yes, I do have USB configuration enabled in the BIOS.

Thank you for the suggestion and the links I found in your signature. I will refrain from posting anything further in this thread.

#112 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

To All,

I have tested a WinPE4.0 flash drive created as per my tutorial (with 64bit architecture).

The test was conducted on a brand-new Samsung laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I can confirm it boots even with Secure Boot set to Enabled in the UEFI BIOS.

So that's good news.

#113 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Steve,

I apologize that my post was considered a "hijack" of this thread. Just to be clear, the stick I created was done so using the instructions in the OP and I assumed it was relevant to post my question here. In reviewing the remaining posts from this thread I did not see this "issue" discussed and hoped for not only an answer for myself, but also for those that my have similar goals using this method. As I said, I was able to boot from another stick so yes, I do have USB configuration enabled in the BIOS.

Thank you for the suggestion and the links I found in your signature. I will refrain from posting anything further in this thread.

Thats OK

It was not clear from your post that you followed this project or that you could actually boot from your system (you said you made a bootable USB but not that it successfully booted from your system!). Does the Win PE4 stick you made boot via QEMU (as in RMPrepUSB) or via some other emulator? How many systems have you tried. The problem sounded like a BIOS/System specific issue...

#114 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

sambul61, in post #3 asked:

in what scenarios there might be advantages in booting WinPE from boot.wim placed on a USB Thumb compare to booting WinPE from ISO placed on the Thumb? What are the advantages?

Well, I finally have an answer for you, sambul61.
Booting WinPE4.0 from boot.wim is supported by Secure Boot, which is enabled by default in new Win8 machines.
ISO-based WinPE4.0 (which use grub and menu.lst) is NOT supported, and will fail to boot on these new Win8 machines.

#115 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Booting WinPE4.0 from boot.wim is supported by Secure Boot, which is enabled by default in new Win8 machines.
ISO-based WinPE4.0 (which use grub and menu.lst) is NOT supported, and will fail to boot on these new Win8 machines.

boot.wim of Windows 8 Recovery USB-stick is also doing fine in UEFI Secure Boot

http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry166256

:cheers:

#116 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

To all,

I have created a WinPE4.0 package dependency hierarchy diagram.

Basically it tells you which package must be installed before another.

It's in PDF format. Get it here (6KB file):

#117 babjanlnt

babjanlnt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

babjanlnt,

Have you tried my manual method?

If so, did it work with your own-developed UMDF driver?

By the way, there is a WinPE package called WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab (and the required mui is WinPE-EnhancedStorage_en-us.cab).

Have you tried adding these packages to your WinPE? I didn't list them in my tutorial.

The WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab package contains ehstortcgdrv.inf.

Perhaps this is what you need?

ericgl,

I tried the way you suggested but still problem exists. I can see the following error from setupapi.dev log file :

"Failed to open WudfSvc service. Error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed device."

When we install win8 by default it will have a service named "WudfSvc" which is not present in WinPE. I tried adding the WudfSvc.dll from win8 to system32 folder of WinPE and adding a registry entry for this but still getting the same error.

If i restart WinPE the registry entries which i added are gone...how to make registry entries persistent...pls help

#118 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

babjanlnt,

To make registry entries persistent, you have to:

1. On a PC running Win7 or Win8, mount the WIM file for read/write editing, for example: 

imagex.exe /mountrw D:\boot.wim 1 D:\MOUNT

BTW, You can try other methods for editing WIM files and extracting files from them, such as Nuno's reWIM, Damian666' WIM Mounter , or simply use 7zip.

2. Load the specific registry hive of the WinPE4 that you need to edit - It's usually SOFTWARE or SYSTEM. Registry files are located at Windows\System32\config.

Make sure to give it a logical name so you don't get confused with your PC's actual registry hives. Something like WinPESOFTWARE or WinPESYSTEM.

3. Make the necessary changes inside the hive you have loaded.

4. Unload the hive.

5. Commit the changes to the WIM file, for example: 

imagex.exe /unmount /commit D:\MOUNT

#119 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Tutorial updated!

Now includes more information and clarification for people who wish to build a 64bit WinPE4.0.

Good luck.

#120 boristhemoggy

boristhemoggy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm not a techie so this project took me 2 full days to complete including massive amounts of downloads.

Thanks for a superb walk through, clear and accurate, even I could follow it. 

However, now it's complete, all I gte at boot is a small blue window in four sections. Have I missed something? 

#121 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

for %%p in (a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist %%p:PStart set w=%%p

Another approach: use PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive http://technet.micro...2(v=ws.10).aspx

wpeutil.exe WaitForRemovableStorage
wpeutil.exe UpdateBootInfo
set PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive=
for /f "tokens=1-3 delims== " %%a in ('reg.exe query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive" 2^>nul') do (
if %%a.==PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive. @set PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive=%%~dc
)
if Defined PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive (
echo PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive %PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive%
)

#122 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

However, now it's complete, all I gte at boot is a small blue window in four sections. Have I missed something? 

Well, probably.

1. Could you post a screenshot (point a camera to your screen and upload to a free photo-sharing site)?

2. Did you create a 32bit or 64bit WinPE4.0?

3. Which computer have you tried booting from? Is it a brand-new desktop/laptop which has Secure Boot in UEFI BIOS?

If so, you must use a 64bit version of WinPE4.0.

4. Have you tried booting on other machines?

#123 boristhemoggy

boristhemoggy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I can take a screenshot. Will do it after work. 
I don't know how to tell if I did 32 or 64 bit. My machine is 32 bit so I guess 32?

Laptop is about 4 years old, I have no idea what secure boot is, I'll check that out after work. 

I only have one machine.

#124 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

boristhemoggy,

If your laptop is that old, then it doesn't have Secure Boot.

If you used x86 in the file paths (as in my tutorial), then you've created a 32bit WinPE4.0.

#125 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

cdob,

Another approach: use PEBootRamdiskSourceDrive http://technet.micro...2(v=ws.10).aspx

I'll check it out, but I wonder if it would cause extra delay  :dubbio: .

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe4.0, usb, boot, adk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users