9 replies to this topic

#1 jkoplo

jkoplo
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm using the Isostick to service a bunch of identical PCs. So far I've used it on 3 machines. On two of them, it boots to "Main Program Starting..." and then hangs. On the third one, it boots into Isosel with very little delay.

• Nothing on the Isostick has changed between attempts. I just had the failure on a machine and walked back to my desk and tried it on an identical machine and it worked fine. Double checked bios boot order on both.
  • I've got the latest firmware (r1677).
  • I can't confirm that the bios version is identical on all the machines, but I'd be surprised if it was different since they were all purchased around the same time and the last bios update was 2 years ago.
  • Isosel is v1.00 (read from boot screen)
  • PC is Aaeon Boxer AEC-6920

Thoughts? When the stick works, it works beautifully and is somewhat less flaky than my GRUB USB stick.

-Jody

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

There is a known bug where having too many files/folders (1000 or more, roughly) on your microSD card can cause isosel to hang at that point. However, in any case I would not expect it to behave differently across identical machines, and it would be slow to boot on all of them...

If the BIOSes are different, it could be a BIOS bug.

If you have a way to double-check the BIOSes, that seems the most likely cause. Also please check other BIOS settings, particularly settings relating to USB Mass Storage, if any. Alternatively, you could try resetting them all to defaults.

If they are truly setup identically, the only other thing that comes to mind would be to try to rule out hardware problems (either with the PCs or the isostick). For that, I would ask that you try it 10 times on each of the 3 machines to be sure it behaves the same each time on each machine.

#3 anon000

anon000
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I had this same exact problem and it turned out I had more than 1000 files on my SDcard (Portable apps files). Dev, is there a way to tell ISOSEL to only look in a specific directory for ISO's? This would save a lot of new users like my self from chucking this thing onto the freeway. 

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

A quick solution is on the way. Various others are being discussed, see this topic

#5 jkoplo

jkoplo
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

The drive only has 159 files, though that does bring up another bug that may be related.

I'm using a card that was originally in my old cell phone. It has a DCIM folder with pictures and videos and such that I wanted to copy to my hard drive and then delete.

Every time I try to copy the files, it hangs at the same place. The isostick holds a constant green light and then fails and disconnects. I've done a little more experimenting, and in particular it seems that two video files are causing the problem. Both files are over 25 MB (28 MB and 87 MB). Video files smaller than about ~25MB transfer fine. ISOs that I placed on the stick that are large can be copied back without any issue.

I've seen these transfer issues under XP, Win7, and Linux.

I'm going to run a checkdisk on the card and maybe try to copy them off with another card reader and then reformat the card. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

-Jody

#6 jkoplo

jkoplo
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

I just tried the MicroSD card in another reader and the files copy fine, so I can confirm that this is an isostick bug.

I'd like to re-format the drive, but if you want me to do any additional testing on this file-copy bug before I do, let me know. Hopefully a reformat will fix my boot issue as well...

-Jody

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

@jkoplo, can you confirm that your isostick is running the latest firmware (r1677)?

Edited by elegantinvention, 11 April 2013 - 07:03 PM.
Corrected typos

#8 jkoplo

jkoplo
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yep, just checked the firmware this morning.

-Jody

#9 anon000

anon000
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Is there any kind of firmware update planned in the near future? Development seems kinda dead/slow for a $100 flash drive.

Edited by anon000, 11 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#10 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

@jkoplo, okay, feel free to reformat it then. Let me know if it still has problems after that.

Is there any kind of firmware update planned in the near future? Development seems kinda dead/slow for a $100 flash drive.

While it is taking longer than expected, I am actively working on the firmware and have several updates planned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users