• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:28 PM

POPULAR

Make_WinPE - Make PE WIM File from x64 Windows ISO

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-44 -  pw=bootwimb   -  Manual:  for Windows 10/11 x64 OS

Download ISO:  using Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe

1. Download:  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso      (best)    Or  Win11_English_x64v1.iso  Or  Win11_English_x64.iso  (better than 11v1)
2. Double-click on Win10_2004_English_x64.iso Or  Win11_English_x64.iso to Mount as DVD Drive
3. Double-click Make_WinPE_Trusted.cmd to Launch Make_WinPE_x64.exe as Trusted Installer
4. In Make_WinPE_x64 Select DVD Drive e.g. sources folder with boot.wim and install.wim files
5. Option to make BCD EFI and Boot Manager Menu entries to Boot with the created PE_19041_US_L.wim  Or  PE_22000_US_L.wim file
    Select Boot Drive and WinPE drive e.g. the Drive where PE WIM file is Copied to WinPE Folder (Default)
6. Select Make PE button and Create in 1 minute PE WIM file in folder Build_PE
   For Boot Option PE WIM file is Copied from Build_PE to WinPE folder on WinPE Drive
7. Copy PE_Tools.zip and Drive.y to Root of any Drive e.g. USB Drive with Portable Tools
   Use 7-zip R-mouse Menu to Extract here to get PE_Tools folder with Portable PE Tools e.g. WinNTSetup and BOOTICE
8. Reboot and Select WinPE-WIM in Windows EFI or Boot Manager Menu
9. On Desktop click on Run_PE_Tools to get Menu with Portable PE Tools

- LARGE Version is Default with Explorer Shell support for Win 10/11 x64 - Better Shell, but larger Size
- MEDIUM Version - good performance for smaller size - 32-bits App + Microsoft Management Console (MMC) + Wi-Fi Internet
- SMALL Version has Ultimate Size Reduction, but less performance - Equal to MEDIUM Version, but missing 32-bits App support

All Versions have Picture + Sound + LAN Internet support and support Portable Apps - Run Apps via Desktop Icons or Launchbar
Add_Drivers folder - Add your Drivers folders e.g. for your Wi-Fi Network card
Added already 3 Drivers 10x64 - essential for modern laptops and not available in ISO DriverStore 
- Support for Intel Rapid Storage Technology VMD driver iaStorVD.sys - NVME SSD Disks
- Support Intel Wi-Fi 6 Internet and Intel Thunderbolt Controller for USB

Option to make Entry in Boot Manager Menu e.g.  Multi-Boot with your Internal Windows OS Or Multi-Boot USB - UEFI Secure + MBR BIOS Boot support
Select Boot Drive and WinPE Drive e.g. the Drive where WIM file is located in WinPE folder.

Credits and Thanks to:

- JFX for making WinNTSetup Program for Install of Windows from ISO File
- ChrisR for making Win10XPE - LARGE Version with Explorer Shell is based entirely on Win10XPE Project
- alacran for testing and helpful support and for sharing Desktop Links and SendTo Links and Launchbar for support of Portable Apps
- noel for his expertise and great help in adding Printer support

Make_WinPE_2022-02-17_083508.jpg == PE_Tools_2022-04-13_115227.jpg == WinPE_2022-05-14_120603.jpg

:cheers:

• gbrao, alacran, doberman and 2 others like this

#2 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:29 PM

Results:

Attached File  Make_WinPE_WinNTSetup.png   87.52KB   3 downloads == Attached File  Make_WinPE_HWINFO.png   142.88KB   1 downloads == Attached File  Make_WinPE_Start_7zip_PE_Tools.png   107.56KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Make_WinPE_PECMD.png   524.6KB   1 downloads ==Attached File  PE_19041_US_2022-02-13_113305.jpg   162.49KB   1 downloads == Attached File  PE_22000_US_2022-02-13_132623.jpg   159.38KB   1 downloads

Attached File  PE_19041_US_2022-02-13_143935.jpg   137.19KB   1 downloads == Attached File  PE_19041_Links_WiFi_2022-02-14_084532.jpg   158.27KB   1 downloads == Attached File  PE_19041_Paint_LibreOf_2022-02-14_101741.jpg   124.14KB   1 downloads == Attached File  PE_19041_US_BT_Prt_2022-02-14_150115.jpg   153.65KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-02-19_233112.jpg   89.76KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Make_WinPE_EXPL_2022-02-19_234843.jpg   147.88KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Make_WinPE_EXPL_2022-02-20_000538.jpg   142.76KB   1 downloads == Attached File  PE_19041_US_E_2022-02-20_004535.jpg   114.58KB   0 downloads ==  Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-02-22_150325.jpg   126.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-03-30_161237.jpg   57.78KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-05-02_073122.jpg   58.28KB   0 downloads ==Attached File  Make_WinPE_2022-05-02_073405.jpg   59.19KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Drivers_2022-05-02_080451.jpg   94.59KB   2 downloads == Attached File  sshot-2022-05-02-07-44-14.jpg   161.21KB   0 downloads == Attached File  WinPE_2022-05-14_120603.jpg   98.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  sshot-2022-06-03-18-23-14.jpg   142.91KB   0 downloads == Attached File  PE_Tools_2022-04-13_115227.jpg   50.01KB   0 downloads

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:19 AM

Test Report, Small and Medium Builds

After reading Add_Install_Files_MEDIUM.txt and Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt, I found they have the same content.  Maybe it is because it is work in process.

Also reading the File_Lists, I noticed this PE is only x64 (no SysWOW64 folder), so PStart can't be used.

Also noticed it uses as shell WinXShell, not Windows explorer.

Just tested Using Win10_2004_English_x64.iso as source and builded Small and Medium WIM files:

Both were builded very fast and booted fine.

But my command to Set Drive-Y didn't work, also tried to set the drive Y: by mens of diskmgmt.msc but the file was not present in both cases, manually copied it to X:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc, (thinking in add it to the respective list latter, after testing if it works fine) but it also didn't work in both cases,

For now my usual Y:\Portables-SFX\SFX_x64 folder (containing all my SFX portables to run under PE environment) is in a different drive letter, and I have to manually navigate to \Portables-SFX\SFX_x64, then once I locate the folder, I can create a shortcut and move it to desktop, no way to crteate a shortcut in desktop, it is created next to the folder.

Almost forget to mention as I don't have an English keyboard, typing some things is a little hard.

Then I made an Small build using Win10_2004_Spanish(Mexico)_x64.iso, editing the Add_Install_Files_SMALL.txt file with following entries:

Spoiler

The PE was builded fine and even named PE_10x64_MX.wim, but it didn't work.

But never the less for a first version of the project, in general, I can say it works fine but with certain limitations, and the building is very fast.

Of course I'm not complaining, I understand this project is new and you will be improving it with your new findings.

alacran

Attached Files

#4 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 February 2022 - 02:58 AM

Works well and is fast.

So, from a 64-bit Win ISO, only 64-bit programs work ? I used Win11_English_x64v1.iso. I could not run PStart for example.

Also diskmgmt.msc is missing, I tried to run Disk Manager from PE Tools.

How did you set the resolution ? Multires does not work. PECMD did. Might be worth including PECMD in the default programs in the build.

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:39 AM

@gbrao

@alacran

Thanks for testing Make_WinPE_Trusted  :)

Yes it is a New Project and further development by all of us is needed to make a more perfect PE.

Version 2.6 has:

SMALL = First Improvements - support different keyboards, set resolution, PECMD (get rid of cmd window), Set Drive-Y, LAN Network

MEDIUM = Second Improvements - SysWOW64 support 32-bits programs, MMC for Disk Management,  Internet, WiFi and Audio support

LARGE = Third possible improvements -  Explorer Shell (Printer support and Bluetooth might be possible in future as well)

@gbrao - can you help me on How to Add PECMD to Set Resolution ?

The present approach of making PE WIM is Fast and Easy and offers already the Framework for improvements.

All we need to develop is:

1. what must be added to the File_List to collect Extra Add_Install_Files from install.wim

2. what Extra Registry is needed to be supplied in Add_Registry (SYSTEM and SOFTWARE are working OK program needs to be adjusted for USER Registry)

3. what Extra Files are needed as given in Add_Folders_Files - example PECMD to Set Resolution

4. what Extra Drivers are needed to be supplied in Add_Drivers 

At present LARGE is Equal to MEDIUM but can be further developed ....

Also I think Notepad++, HWinfo, Autoruns and ProcessExplorer (Total 33 MB) are Portable Programs that don't need Registry.

These Portable are better located in PE Tools so that PE WIM is smaller for faster Loading into RAM and Tools can be Updated more easily.

This involves a move from Windows PE Menu to PE Tools Menu. Besides such Portable PE Tools can be used also without booting into PE  :)

#6 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:02 AM

Hi, I used pecmd because I could not think of any other 64 bit program :)

Win10XPE uses nirsoft MultiMonitorTool. That is avail in 64 bit. I will try it.

Anyway with pecmd i had a ini file with "DISP W1920 H1080". ran pecmd with that inifile as arg. it worked.

multimonitor tool has a set max option should be better and more universal.

--------------------------------------

As of now what is the best way to run a program at logon/boot ?

---------------------------------------

EDIT

"X:\Program Files\multimonitortool\setmax.cmd" in UI.bat works.

the setmax.cmd had 'MultiMonitorTool64.exe /setmax 1'

but there's no need for a cmd file, i could have done the same in UI.bat.

there might be a need to get 32-bit programs running.

PAF portable launchers are all 32-bit.

EDIT2

Also I couldn't figure out how to change a file extension. Since they are hidden as of now,

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

As of now what is the best way to run a program at logon/boot ?

Add_Folders_Files\Windows\System32 contains startnet.cmd and UI.bat that can be modified.

startnet.cmd has start ClAdmin.exe for CLaunch Menu (WinKey + Z) in Upper Left Corner 

and has UI.bat that has start WinXShell.exe -winpe to Launch Windows PE Main Menu

And HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run can be used.

• gbrao likes this

#8 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2022 - 08:59 AM

"X:\Program Files\multimonitortool\setmax.cmd" in UI.bat works.

the setmax.cmd had 'MultiMonitorTool64.exe /setmax 1'

but there's no need for a cmd file, i could have done the same in UI.bat.

That works OK - Resolution is now Max at Launching UI.bat

I have added folder:

Add_Folders_Files\Program Files\multimonitortool_x64

and modified UI.bat

cd /d "X:\Program Files\WinXShell"
start WinXShell.exe -winpe
cd /d "X:\Program Files\multimonitortool_x64"
start MultiMonitorTool.exe /setmax 1
cd /d "X:\Windows\System32"

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:42 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-21  -  for Windows 10/11 x64 OS

- Set Max Resolution - Thanks to gbrao
- Keyboard Layout

• alacran likes this

#10 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 09 February 2022 - 07:17 AM

I tried to find out how to add 32-bit support.

I went thru 'WoW64_AddFiles.txt' and 'WoW64.Script' from W10XPE.

The total number of syswow64 files and files in a few other dirs isn't too big,

It might be possible for someone to create a bat or AU3 to do the same.

It's a bit confusing for me. If someone with better knowledge of scripts can do it ...

There's even a thread here : http://reboot.pro/to...app-support-v2/

• wimb likes this

#11 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2022 - 10:10 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-22  -  for Windows 10/11 x64 OS

- build from winre.wim instead of boot.wim
- PECMD start instead of startnet.cmd and UI.bat - get rid of Command Window
- Drive Y for PE_Tools folder with Portable Tools
- Update Manual - see post #1

7. Copy PE_Tools.zip and Drive.y to Root of any Drive e.g. USB Drive with Portable Tools

Use 7-zip R-mouse Menu to Extract here to get PE_Tools folder with Portable PE Tools e.g. WinNTSetup and BOOTICE

Make_WinPE_PECMD.png

• alacran likes this

#12 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:14 PM

@ wimb

I was coming to comment I solved the Set Drive-Y, by copying \Make_WinPE_Trusted\Make_WinPE\Add_Folders_Files\Windows\System32\LetterSwap.exe and adding a shortcut in destop in \Make_WinPE_Trusted\Make_WinPE\Add_Folders_Files\Users\Public\Desktop\Set Drive-Y with this path and arguments pointing to X:\Windows\System32\LetterSwap.exe /auto /SetLetter Y:\Drive.y, and starting in X:\Windows\System32

But you are very fast my friend, and now I'm late.  Anyway I will add my approach here just in case.

Attached the Set Drive-Y.7z file Password = alacran

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#13 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:26 PM

Set Drive Y was solved when introducing PECMD start instead of Command Window from startnet.cmd

In Pecmd.ini there is line for LetterSwap.exe so I implemented that one immediately and Drive Y was there ...

Anyway thanks for sharing your solution, since knowledge is of value and difficult to develop ....

Now PE_19041_US.wim is mature and the basis for the WinPE we are developing.

Next is MMC and SysWOW64 ..... but for today it is enough ....

Spanish and Latin American Keyboard must be working now.

Even improved as compared to 10XPE, since I replaced Dutch Keyboard by Latin American for (es-MX) ....

Dutch Keyboard is never used by anyone, we have here US Keyboard

Spanish Keyboard Layout requires to keep KBDSP.DLL  - Keyboard Layout Info

KBDSP_2022-01-15_091051.jpg

• alacran likes this

#14 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:39 PM

About our friend gbrao post, yes in fact the WoW64_AddFiles.txt file has the usual files used in W10XPE, of course during running other scrips some other dependencies could be added for some programs (if required), and into WoW64.Script, are all the usual Keys required to add to the Registry, so this item also seems almost solved.

But in my build with Make_WinPE_Trusted-20, I saw there is already a SysWoW64 folder on X:\Windows\SysWOW64\, with several files/folders, with a size of about 30+ MB.

Suggestions:

Keep the Add_Install_Files_SMALL.txt without x86 support to keep it at the minimum size.

Add the SysWoW64 listed files in Add_Install_Files_MEDIUM.txt and Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt.

Do it same way for the Add_Registry_Files_*.txt

Use Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt and its respective Add_Registry_Files_*.txt, could also be used for the version with MS Windows Explorer.

And only use portable programs as we use to do in Mini VHDs

alacran

• wimb likes this

#15 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, it is also my plan to follow that strategy ....

• alacran likes this

#16 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:21 AM

Update Download:  Make_WinPE_Trusted-22  -  for Windows 10/11 x64 OS

Tests Reports:

Small version:

The Small version build was very fast and sucessfull, all my SFX_x64 and also the non SFX (but LZX Compressed) portable programs booted fine from drive Y:\ , with only a single exception that was solved editing Add_Install_Files_SMALL.txt, adding following line \Windows\System32\sc.exe

This version is capable to attach VHD files but attach an ISO file doesn't work fine.

Large version:

The build was very fast and successful, but it's not working as expected.

This version is also capable to attach VHD files but attach an ISO file doesn't work fine.

I edited Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt, Add_Registry_Files_LARGE.txt and created TK_PE_SysWOW64.reg, all attached into Large-Version.7z file Password = alacran

All SysWOW64 files were copied fine.  WIM file size is 538 MB.

But when trying to boot an small x86 portable, there is a message saying the program is not working for an issue in SideBySide (several Keys, part of the Registry file list that should be added, but they were not added).

Also all files into Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt  related to \Windows\WinSxS\ files, were not copied to the WIM file, It sems to me this is the cause of the issue as the Keys not present in the SideBySide section of the Registry are related to this same files.

EDIT: I'm going to mount the WIM file to analyze it in a more detailed way, and will comment back.

EDIT-2: \Windows\WinSxS\ files listed are there, with the exception of the first two that don't exist in the 2004 install.wim. (I didn't check furter before).

EDIT-3: The final version is in this post, wimb made some modiffications to my first intent, and now we are able to run x86 programs fine.

alacran

Attached Files

Edited by alacran, 11 February 2022 - 12:59 AM.
Info updated: Please see the EDITs

#17 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:12 AM

- PECMD start instead of startnet.cmd and UI.bat - get rid of Command Window

Which version of PECMD are you using ?

Most PECMD info is in Chinese. I've been trying to figure out how to use it, more fully use it that is.

There is a site in Chinese here :

https://pecmd-net.tr...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Newer versions are here, but the site is down most of the time:

https://www-lanzoui-...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I managed to download PECMD2012.1.88.05.86Stable-211116.7z

I couldn't figure out which PECMD.EXE to use from there, I just used one in one of the X64 folders.

Also managed to replace the help file in the PECMD.EXE to English.

The file BIG5英文版及修改.txt has instructions how to replace the help.

There's a HELP folder in the zip, btw.

If anyone knows where there is a guide/tutorial on PECMD, please post.

#18 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:25 AM

@alacran

Interesting test results. The Attachment Large-Version.7z cannot be downloaded here (ERROR: Sorry, we couldn't find that!)

@gbrao

I have used the PECMD files from here and don't have additional info

Win10XPE-Win10XPE_2021-10-27\Win10XPE_2021-10-27\Win10XPE\Projects\Include\x64\AdditionalFiles\Windows\System32

#19 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:33 AM

@alacran

Interesting test results. The Attachment Large-Version.7z cannot be downloaded here.

Please try againg I was updating the post and also the Large-Version.7z file, because I noticed this line Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 was duplicated in the REG file, but even corrected result is the same.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#20 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:48 AM

JFYI

I used:

WoW64.Script  >>> from 2020-11-15   but internal info says Date=2019.12.04    Version=003

WoW64_AddFiles.txt  >>> from 2021-06-12

Both taken from: WIn10XPE_2022-01-07

alacran

#21 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:51 AM

Have got the Large-Version.7z and will do a test here using these data.

My first idea is that the WinSxS files on the list of ChrisR need the xx-xx must be replaced by the Language version e.g. en-US

The registry file is incomplete. There is no data in the keys. They must be added from Export registry.

I have here Export Registry of working 10XPE made with Source is Win10_2004_English_x64.iso - 19041_US

#22 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:58 AM

Here is WIn10XPE_2022-01-07 files.7z  Password = alacran

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#23 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:06 AM

Thanks. 

PECMD is the same as I have used, but I have adjusted Pecmd.ini for our case where we use WinXShell instead of Explorer for ChrisR

//SHEL %WinDir%\explorer.exe
SHEL %ProgramFiles%\WinXShell\WinXShell.exe -winpe

and there are more changes in my Pecmd.ini so keep that one

• alacran likes this

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:27 AM

Yes, I noticed that, I added it just in case, and also for our friend gbrao.

alacran

#25 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:21 AM

I have Uploaded TK_PE_SysWOW64_LARGE.7z  pw=bootwimb - Contains also File_List files given by alacran

A lot of work made from Export HKLM\SOFTWARE registry of working 10XPE 

Edited by me to keep Key List of alacran and adjusted for TK_SOFTWARE instead of SOFTWARE

GOOD NEWS - SysWoW64 for 32-bits support is working OK here  :)  for  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso 

Using in File_List folder  Add_Install_Files_LARGE.txt + Add_Registry_Files_LARGE.txt as given by alacran in Large-Version.7z

Combined with my Uploaded  fileTK_PE_SysWOW64.reg in folder Make_WinPE\Add_Registry

Works OK for  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso      but 32-bits App FAILS with SxS Error for  Win11_English_x64v1.iso

It means I need other way to make registry from install.wim instead of now using Export registry of working 10XPE

In case of Win10_21H2_English_x64.iso I get Boot Crash ..... So be careful with what source you use ....

I thinkk the mui files in the Language System32\en-US are missing on the ChrisR WoW64_AddFiles.txt List

They are probably auto extracted by ChrisR .....

For 32-bits VhdManager.exe Added

\Windows\SysWOW64\virtdisk.dll

• alacran likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe, wimlib, winntsetup, wim

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users