Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

POPULAR

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

File Name: DiskMgr
File Submitter: erwan.l
File Submitted: 01 Apr 2017
File Updated: 01 Apr 2017
File Category: Tools

DiskMgr has been developed primarily for use in a Windows Forensic Environment (WinFE) to provide a user friendly method of changing the following DISK attributes -

• Read-Only
  • Read-Write

DiskMgr is similar in use to Colin Ramsden's "Write Protect" application (see here). DiskMgr is available in native Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Click here to download this file

• ZEE, Blackcrack and genetix like this

#2 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Well done on another addition to your growing portfolio - another great addition.

:worship:

Misty
  • Blackcrack likes this

#3 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

Heh, perhaps I should of turn to you before I used 3 hours to write my hardware.dll library (query to WMI) just last week.

Nice work there.

#4 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Heh, perhaps I should of turn to you before I used 3 hours to write my hardware.dll library (query to WMI) just last week.

Nice work there.

Hi Genetix,

Let me know if you need help.

WMI is a nice feature but it is not always available under winpe, is not always "stable", and sometimes is depending on admin persmissions.

Hence, I usually try to stick to native windows api (found in kernel32.dll) which greatly mitigate the above issues.

Regards,

Erwan

• genetix likes this

#5 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

Hi,

i have see you PartManager, VolumeManager and now this there..

sorry for the question,

so why not all in one, an

PaVoDi-Manager ?

One Fonted with 3 Funtions or manager..

short Pa-Vo-Di  have also an sound in the name who sounded good so far

Pa..Vo..Di...

Manager ..

and it is all in one fonded and it don't need to open every single Gui's

"one  partition.. klick.. close.. one for Volumes.. klick and close

and one for the Diskmanagement.. klick and close.. oh vorget the Volume to activate.. damn.. doubleclick.. managing.. and then close .. again.. gnh.. okey, now should i can working further .."

no,

"one Gui, one klick and some can manageing disk, or volumes or Partitions..

and then if all done .. close .."

if this idea/suggestion bad, so forget it and sorry for that :)

best regards

Blacky

#6 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

Actually, the "one in all" is CloneDisk.

These 3 new softwares (partmgr, volumemgr, diskmgr) are all coming from CloneDisk.

Idea there is too make quick, easy & portable "one form" utilities mainly meant at WinPE (but not only).

• ZEE and Blackcrack like this

#7 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi Genetix,

Let me know if you need help.

WMI is a nice feature but it is not always available under winpe, is not always "stable", and sometimes is depending on admin persmissions.

Hence, I usually try to stick to native windows api (found in kernel32.dll) which greatly mitigate the above issues.

Regards,

Erwan

Then again I don't see why not include powershell, wmi even .NetFX for WinPE.

Usually using those at every build I make from my apps. As for digging from kernel32.dll or well internals I consider that to be more dangerous route than query wmi for information. Problem with wmi is overhead while using timers to query information fast where kernel32.dll would be way better to be used over general hardware information.

Atm, I am stuck actually with VolumeID and boot sector low level writing and C#.NET as it requires byte or uint as hex and well at C#.NET it's just not gonna happen converting string to uint.

#8 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Then again I don't see why not include powershell, wmi even .NetFX for WinPE.

Adding these to WinPE, although possible, introduces more complexity and will make your WinPE fat.

I personally prefer to stick to windows API which means my apps have little or no dependencies and will work on most if not all windows systems (back to XP).

But this is a pure personal choice.

And if you finally decide to call windows native API from .Net, then you will struggle with types.

Calling windows api from .Net is a bit losing the advantage of this framework (which is about hiding complexity).

#9 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

Hi Erwan,

Had a couple of suggestions / requests for you to consider with this tool... 

The most important one to me, is whether you can set the active row in the table to remain when clicking the Offline/Online or RO/RW buttons.  At the moment, it jumps back to the first entry in the table, so if you want to say have the second disk writeable, and you click Online on it, then when you go to click RW, you have to move the bar back to the second disk so you don't accidentally enable write access on the first disk when it jumps back to the top of the table.  Its not a massive issue, but would be handy if it remembered which disk was selected.

The second one is whether you could make the window scalable so that users can increase the size of it instead of being fixed size.  I like to see all of the details in the Name column, but if I stretch that column out, then my Attributes column (which is the most important) disappears off the right side of the screen.  Might be easier here just to enable the Maximise button which is present but inactive (although minimise/restore works).

Thirdly, an additional option to see disk details to include things like model number and disk serial number would also be really useful.

thanks for considering.

rgds

#10 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:17 AM

re: above requests post...  disregard #3 - just realised you can right click on each line and see the disk info...  apologies, only found out through an errant right click!

#11 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hi Erwan,

Had a couple of suggestions / requests for you to consider with this tool... 

The most important one to me, is whether you can set the active row in the table to remain when clicking the Offline/Online or RO/RW buttons.  At the moment, it jumps back to the first entry in the table, so if you want to say have the second disk writeable, and you click Online on it, then when you go to click RW, you have to move the bar back to the second disk so you don't accidentally enable write access on the first disk when it jumps back to the top of the table.  Its not a massive issue, but would be handy if it remembered which disk was selected.

The second one is whether you could make the window scalable so that users can increase the size of it instead of being fixed size.  I like to see all of the details in the Name column, but if I stretch that column out, then my Attributes column (which is the most important) disappears off the right side of the screen.  Might be easier here just to enable the Maximise button which is present but inactive (although minimise/restore works).

Thirdly, an additional option to see disk details to include things like model number and disk serial number would also be really useful.

thanks for considering.

rgds

Hi Seanpowell,

Lucky you, I happened to pass by (i am not very present these days on reboot.pro being busy with work) but I thought I would spend 5 mns to implement your request.

I upgraded the x86 version - give it a try - if ok I'll upgrade the x64).

Cheers,

Erwan

#12 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:09 AM

Hi Erwan,

Apologies for the delay in replying - I had some issues with my 32x build for some reason which gave me a bit of trouble in testing this, but I've fired it up now and the changes are perfect!  Absolutely spot on - can you replicate this to your 64x build when you get a chance please?

Thanks so much for doing this.

rgds

#13 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

Hi Erwan,

Been a while since I've stopped by ReBoot but just wondering whether you were able to implement this on the 64x version as well?

rgds

#14 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

Hi Erwan,

Been a while since I've stopped by ReBoot but just wondering whether you were able to implement this on the 64x version as well?

rgds

Hi Seanpowell,

See first post .

DiskMgr is available in native Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Regards,

Erwan

#15 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:13 AM

Hey Erwan,

I should have been more specific...  for the the two changes that I suggested on 4/5/2018 above, that you implemented into the 32x build on 25/5/2018, have you (or can you) implement those changes into the 64x build as well?  I have double checked this morning and the current download link includes the 32x file with the changes (ability to expand the window size and retains the current row of the table of disks when an operation is clicked) but the 64x build does not have these changes implemented.

thanks in advance, and apologies if my previous post was unclear.

rgds

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

@seanpowell
To be fair, you were not much unclear, it's erwan.l that forgot :w00t: what he wrote:

I upgraded the x86 version - give it a try - if ok I'll upgrade the x64).

:duff:

Wonko

#17 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

@seanpowell
To be fair, you were not much unclear, it's erwan.l that forgot :w00t: what he wrote:

:duff:

Wonko

Absolutely : my bad :)

I have now uploaded the zip file : both x86 and x64 versions are aligned and the window can be resized.

Cheers,
Erwan

#18 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:30 AM

that's brilliant, thanks so much Erwan!

Half way there! :)   not to be a pain - which I probably am - but the 64x build doesn't "remember" which line is active when you alter a disks status, which was one of the tweaks you implemented into the 32x build.  Its always going to be the practitioners responsibility to make sure they change the status of the right disk but its really convenient when the active disk stays selected, rather than jumping back to the first line in the table.

rgds

Edited by seanpowell, 27 August 2018 - 02:38 AM.

#19 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

that's brilliant, thanks so much Erwan!

Half way there! :)   not to be a pain - which I probably am - but the 64x build doesn't "remember" which line is active when you alter a disks status, which was one of the tweaks you implemented into the 32x build.  Its always going to be the practitioners responsibility to make sure they change the status of the right disk but its really convenient when the active disk stays selected, rather than jumping back to the first line in the table.

rgds

Got it :)

This time should be good now (zip reuploaded) !

#20 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:08 AM

I think there was an error when creating the zip file...  I now get an error trying to unzip it, and when testing the zip archive with 7zip it reports "data error:diskmgrX64.exe "unexpected end of data"

#21 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

I think there was an error when creating the zip file...  I now get an error trying to unzip it, and when testing the zip archive with 7zip it reports "data error:diskmgrX64.exe "unexpected end of data"

damn :) i have rebuilt the zip and re uploaded it.

hopefully, this one is the rigth one !

#22 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

the zip now unzips ok but when I extract and run diskmgrx64, it still doesn't remember the active row.  Does this work on your side?

#23 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

the zip now unzips ok but when I extract and run diskmgrx64, it still doesn't remember the active row.  Does this work on your side?

tbh, i have replicated the form and code from x86 to x64 and lamesly assumed it will be ok.

now testing x64 on my unit indeed does not work like the x86.

it had been months that i did not put my hands on my dev stuff and it i got rusty ...

apologies for the waste of time and noise.

will be fixed by end of today.

#24 seanpowell

seanpowell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

lol, at least it is not just me!

appreciate you spending the time to fix it - thanks

#25 erwan.l

erwan.l