Photo
- - - - -

What is your current job and which role?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wean_irdeh

wean_irdeh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Sorry I'm just curious, especially the developer on reboot.pro

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Actually, you will probably find out that many of the developers over here are not forcibly profesional developers.

Some of them may not even be IT pros.

But they all are passionate people if you ask me.

Still the level of expertise and dedication is very high.

Regards,
Erwan

• Brito likes this

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:44 AM

Professional tinkerer and computing/technology enthusiast.....I personally don't work a traditional job, and refuse to. I just don't like the idea of working hard for someone while they make a profit off the sweat of my labor, especially since the pay usually sucks ass. Another thing is that I don't like being told what to do and am generally resistant to authority figures. I do, however, own several online marketing businesses. I like to run the show and work on my own schedule. Personal independence is one of my most important values.

• Brito likes this

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:44 AM

Well, I still "lurk" here often.  I'm retired now, and keep busy.  During my professional life, I was the guy in Engineering (Software developement) that did "DevOps" way before it was called that, and learned how to talk to Marketing, Finance, Sales and Customers.  So I had a "neat" job being the "goto" person to help all those groups communicate back to R&D.  This was in the ECAD business, which has a few, but very important customers (i.e. EVERYONE who makes computer chips).  I also did the "licensing" enforcement SW.

I spent a lot of time here documenting the original WinBuilder and writing scripts.  I'll echo the above.  Lots of pretty smart people here.  I got involved because for a "hobby" (after working on big, complex techical systems all day), I like to tinker with Windows, and the idea of building a custom "boot" disk to troubleshoot and debug issues was interesting and "fun"! (yes, a lot of here have a warped sense of humor).

• Brito likes this

#5 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

I know next to nothing about computers and have never worked in the industry. The little I've managed to learn has been via forums like the amazing reboot.pro (obviously) boot.land.net (RIP), 911cd forum (RIP), MSFN, and also theoven. There are some very talented and helpful people here and on the other sites I mentioned - often the same people frequenting each site. It's amazing how much time people have dedicated to their own little projects and/or helping others.

My starting point has always been throwing lots of time into stuff that looks interesting until I can make it work for me. Often from p!ss poor instructions, or instructions that make sense to more advanced users but make me feel like a dumbass! This bloody mindedness and stubbornness usually pays of in the end. I figure if I can make things work for me then I can try to explain them and document my woes for others to follow - hopefully with less pain than I experienced.

Anyway, I digress. In answer to the OPs original question - my job is so far removed from computing that it's not even worth mentioning - reboot is my bolt hole and escape from work - it's where I come for some sanity after dealing with sh!t at work. And it's fun messing around with boot disks.

Regards,

Misty
  • Brito and ambralivio like this

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Engineer.

My role is mostly solving other people's headaches with s/w. I'm happy learning new things along the way and writing tools.

Example from earlier this morning, working on machine learning together with a remote team:

:)

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

@Nuno: In your avatar you look like a nerd, but like a professional in the video.

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:25 AM

I am a professional software developer for a large computer company. Been doing it for 38 years. Amazing how much the industry has changed in that time.

• Brito and homes32 like this

#9 wean_irdeh

wean_irdeh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:51 AM

@Wonko the Sane ? sorry I'm just curious

#10 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:40 AM

I'm an IT manger for a chain of banks. Got into PE building in my college years working a side job of fixing peoples computers and very quickly learned that the best way to fix/troubleshoot/deVirus a broken OS is definitely not from within the OS itself. Started with UBCD and through the years worked on UBCD4Win/BartPE (developing plugins and helping out with the autobuild framework and answering questions in the forums...), openbuilder/winbuilder (script developing, beta testing, and annoying psc :)) , more recently I've been helping with alpha/beta testing and documentation of PEBakery.

I'm not a professional developer but have always tinkered with coding ever since I was young, and while I never wanted to do it for a living (I've always been more drawn to the sysadmin/networking & LAN/WAN side of IT) I've managed to pick up enough in several languages to be dangerous and/or contribute to a few projects. :)

I've meet some great people through the years, some have followed me around or I have followed them from my earlier days (paraglider, jaclaz aka wonko aka The Finder - who seems to be everywhere, to name a few), many are still around either here at reboot or in various other communities (galapo, lancelot, JFX, JonF, nuno, psc, sbaeder, chrisR and many other great developers), and some are long gone, but not forgotten (ben burrows, lilbugger, joshua, THUNNderboy, booty#1, dera, Nikzzzz, etc...). I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge that is present here and other PE forums I have been and/or are apart of, and it just keeps growing. Technology has changed a lot through the years but I love the challenge. We've gone from booting 3.5" floppy's, to using those floppy's to bootstrap CDROM's, to trading our CDROM in for USB drives, VHD's and PXE (what I use the most now in a network setting, however I still keep a USB drive handy for those times when friends/relatives bribe me into working on their computers.)

• Brito likes this

#11 khouji

khouji
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi guys, I'm the newest member of the crew. For my background, I'm a Web Designer at Petstreetmall which is an online store that sells pet supplies. My hobbies are playing computer games, watching sci-fi movies, and reading books. I do hope to get along with everyone.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

@Wonko the Sane ? sorry I'm just curious

Not particularly hidden, once you connect the character of Wonko the Sane with jaclaz:

http://reboot.pro/to...-all-the-bytes/

http://www.forensicf...-member-jaclaz/

:duff:

Wonko:

#13 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Wonko is likely an AI sent from the future into the current past.

He is passable as human on most interactions, albeit you can easily verify that is finder skills are beyond human and even beyond the skills from a Google™ in 2017 in terms of links that are posted. Then there is also the fact that he is seemingly present on every relevant technical forum on the Internet and each of hist posts is very exact (humans tend to be sloppy).

The purpose of a Wonko remains unclear to the natives from the 21st century, albeit this advanced entity certainly continues to enlighten our digital knowledge on the present era.

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users