3 replies to this topic

#1 Antonjo

Antonjo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Many live CDs here come with a bootsec.bin. 

Can this file be used as a bootsector also for an USB drive?

Can command line tools like mbrwizard.com be used to transfer these kid of files to the UFD? .

Antonio

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Many live CDs here come with a bootsec.bin.

Like?
Example please.

Can this file be used as a bootsector also for an USB drive?

No, for several different reasons, first three:

1. a CD has 2048 bytes sized sectors (and not 512)
  2. a CD boot sector is on sector 17 (on a USB stick the boot is started by the MBR at sector 0 and the PBR at the offset in the MBR partition table)
  3. a CD uses a CDFS filesystem, an USB stick normally does not (with the exception of U3's, a few double controller sticks, etc.)

Can command line tools like mbrwizard.com be used to transfer these kid of files to the UFD? .

No, but not because a program is "command line" or GUI it makes any difference, mbrwizard can do something which does not include "tranferring this kind of files" to the UFD.

It seems to me like you slipped on a chocolate covered banana :w00t: :ph34r::

http://homepage.ntlw...red-banana.html

Maybe if you can ask about the actual problem that you wish to solve, ther could be a solution for it. :)

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 Antonjo

Antonjo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

Like?

Example please.

See EzPE3  or every other Live CD, wherever there is a  live CD there should be a bootsector to boot it. 

No, but not because a program is "command line" or GUI it makes any difference, mbrwizard can do something which does not include "tranferring this kind of files" to the UFD.

The difference it that the former can be included in a batch file to script the installations to the UFDs, which is what I need. 

It seems to me like you slipped on a chocolate covered banana  :w00t:  :ph34r::

http://homepage.ntlw...red-banana.html

Well, generally speaking UFD MBR tools are strictly related with booting UFD. In this particular case/tool may be yes may not and  this why I am posting here.

Maybe if you can ask about the actual problem that you wish to solve, ther could be a solution for it.  :)

I am trying to move a Live CD like EzPE3 or Hiren's BootCD to an UFD with a batch script.   

With the former I think that partitioning the UFD disk with diskpart and transferring the bootsector with bootsect  /nt60 should work.

With the latter I still don't know.  

Antonio

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

That's good :), since I won't personally support WAREZ :ph34r:.

About EZPE3, since it is a build, you can normally build it as a (UFD) hard disk - like volume (and NOT as a .iso), this would be the better/shorter/easier way.

And no, though relatively easy, it won't work the way you described (an entry in \boot\BCD is needed besides creating a bootsector invoking BOOTMGR with diskpart).

The alternative, for *any* boot CD/DVD (with some distinctions), see:

http://reboot.pro/to...all-iso-images/

is to boot the .iso "as is".

Specifically:

http://reboot.pro/to...ezpe3/?p=165349

the EzPe3 build can be booted "as is" as a .iso.

If you take some little time around the board, you will find how there is a specific section of the Forum where people (BTW IMNSHO mindlessly) does support that particular WAREZ release.

JFYI, you posted in:

reboot.pro
→ Boot methods & tools
→ Boot from USB / Boot anywhere
Tutorials

and the general idea is that people should post here Tutorials (and not generic support questions).

:cheers:

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootsector, cli

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users