16 replies to this topic

#1 VendettaReborn

VendettaReborn
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:34 AM

After almost a year without me, it seems this community has gotten along fine. You've had a nice, lengthy reprieve from me. And it's still as quiet here as I remember it. Never alot of activity. I just had to spice up the stew sometimes.

The only real difference between me then and now is that I'm in a relationship with a woman I like, and I'm now making the kind of money that allows me to live a comfortable lifestyle. Not enough to make me rich, but enough to pay bills and still have more than enough left over for non-essentials. As for her, she's had the effect of making me a bit...nicer...than before.

I had already re-registered under a new account within a few days of the deletion, but I forgot that username and the associated email. Wonko even replied to a thread I created, but I believe it was the only one. No activity before or after that.

I don't have much to say right now, but things will be different this time around. I was quite an asshole and a troll, much of it was intentional. I'm a master of my craft.

However, having recognized that my behavior was inexcusable regardless, and still having an interest in the kinds of things this community specializes in, I decided I just couldn't stay gone.

Nuno indicated here that I was free to register again if I wished:

http://reboot.pro/in...e=1#entry218876

So, that's all, until I decide to post again. Now, to see if this account is banned within a day.

Nuno: I've once again proven that it's possible to register here without linking to a Twitter account. I used email only. It seems that the Twitter thing is optional. Just had to point that out once again.

Edited by VendettaReborn, 20 June 2022 - 11:45 AM.

• Brito likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

Now, to see if this account is banned within a day.

I don't think it will happen, that is unless you give an ultimatum to the board administrators and start spamming the forum as user DeleteVendettaRebornNOW_00.

:duff:

Wonko

#3 VendettaReborn

VendettaReborn
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:44 PM

I don't think it will happen, that is unless you give an ultimatum to the board administrators and start spamming the forum as user DeleteVendettaRebornNOW_00.

Wonko

Somehow I figured you would be the first to reply.

Also, i was never "banned" to begin with, merely deleted. And it wasn't even a full deletion, since all of my posts are still present. It would seem that deleted members aren't truly erased, "guest" is prepended to their username instead.

Edited by VendettaReborn, 20 June 2022 - 12:49 PM.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

Sure, your account was (eventually) deleted (as per your request), of course not your posts, threads without them would become unreadable/incomprehensible, this is normal.

The threads/discussions would look a lot like ;):

https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Wonko

#5 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:57 PM

Well, I actually do remember one albeit small contribution by vendetta which we still use now, and which I find very handy, at least in miniwindows - zero-byte files.

among more indirect contributions by him, I also remember the doubts he raised, the problems he paused, which I consider very useful within the realm of falsifiability. 

So, he was not only a troll.

#6 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:29 PM

Well well well...look who is back : my nemesis happy.png

Independently of what has been said/written, happy to see life is treating you well : welcome back or rather, welcome to the new you.

I myself went dark for a few months (life etc) and will probably do so for a few more months but could not help but stop by and say "Hi!".

Nuno, Wonko, Misty, all, thank you for keeping the place cosy.

Cheers,

Erwan

• misty likes this

#7 VendettaReborn

VendettaReborn
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:02 PM

Well well well...look who is back : my nemesis happy.png
Independently of what has been said/written, happy to see life is treating you well : welcome back or rather, welcome to the new you.

I myself went dark for a few months (life etc) and will probably do so for a few more months but could not help but stop by and say "Hi!".

Nuno, Wonko, Misty, all, thank you for keeping the place cosy.

Cheers,
Erwan

Just remember that "nemesis" is your word choice, not mine. If you consider me as such...fine. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, that is a waste of time. But I'm willing to forget any bad words said between me and others here.

#8 VendettaReborn

VendettaReborn
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:07 PM

Well, I actually do remember one albeit small contribution by vendetta which we still use now, and which I find very handy, at least in miniwindows - zero-byte files.
among more indirect contributions by him, I also remember the doubts he raised, the problems he paused, which I consider very useful within the realm of falsifiability.
So, he was not only a troll.

I'm curious to know how I inspired the use of zero byte files. They're certainly not an original concept by me. If by "miniwindows" you mean WinPE, I never had much of an interest. Mainly due to their shortcomings, like not being able to run 32 bit software on x64, and having to make use of plugins/extensions to get certain programs to work. I'd much rather strip down a full Windows and use that as a recovery environment.

Edited by VendettaReborn, 22 June 2022 - 07:08 PM.

#9 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:21 PM

After almost a year without me, it seems this community has gotten along fine. You've had a nice, lengthy reprieve from me. And it's still as quiet here as I remember it. Never alot of activity. I just had to spice up the stew sometimes.

Welcome back. Due to my own lack of activity and two plus year abscense think I missed out on most of what you referred to in your post.

As Erwan states, "..happy to see life is treating you well .."

....I myself went dark for a few months (life etc) and will probably do so for a few more months but could not help but stop by and say "Hi!".

Nuno, Wonko, Misty, all, thank you for keeping the place cosy....

Hello old friend. My own contributions in keeping the place cosy have been rather limited, however it really is good to be back to my spiritual home at reboot.

alacran appears to have been keeping the forum going. It's good to see activity here.

:cheers:

Misty

#10 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:38 PM

@vendetta

no, by miniwindows I meant the extra-stripped-down (more stripped-down than wimboot) version of windows by JFX (from Germany) which I use as ordinary windows os - not winpe at all. I remember being at pains with constantly self-recreating folders and u gave me a zero-byte-file tip that helped me solve the problem - I don't know if i can retrace the post, but now I really have a system that has stayed the same across infinite reboots for months or years. 

the stripping down procedure can be carried out by implementing the default mode, or customized mode, for that matter, in winntsetup, which can lead u to a full detailed customization of the stripping down itself, tailored to your own needs. the drawback is that u have to proceed on a trial-and-error basis for a while at the beginning, trying to figure out how to preserve the dlls that ur favourite software needs in order to work, which of course do not want deleting lest it should not. but with the help of process explorer u can build dll saving scripts that will stand u in good stead in the long run.

back to zerobyting, the initial idea I got it from u, but then I noticed that this idea was perfected by alacrán and wimb and the resulting scripts (on a per-person basis, though, u know what u don't want) can be used together with winntsetup.

have a try urself and we can cooperate even further, although we have really stripped down what many think is all we could. yet, who knows? we could see what folders can be further deleted of what has remained in windows, windows\system32 and possibly some other dirs and subdirs.  

as for winpe, as far as I can understand, 2 or more vhd's can do the job all the better, especially if it entails working on offline vhd's. almost all operations can be made very easily if u have more than one vhd. for those who do not have a lot of hdd space or any hdd at all, then I see all 'pe or usb alternatives can do the trick. 

#11 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 June 2022 - 02:55 AM

well, as I thought, many windows subfolders can safely (so far, at least) be removed, most of them totally, and some partially. I got as far as folders starting with an i, but I will continue and let u know in more detail. of course, I do not mean crucial ones like \windows\inf or other crucial ones, I am concentrating on those folders that appear to "do nothing or next to nothing". In a bit.... 

here u go, the following are the subfolders I was able to totally or partially remove, by ctrl-X ctrl-V (they are now on another disk, just in case something would go wrong or I should find out I would need some of them back into windows). no issue so far, but if u or anyone else, for that matter, knows what they are for, pls do tell, so I will make up my mind as to place them back into windows or get rid of them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 2.png

#12 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:45 PM

... and there will be many more subfolders to come, this time out of windows\system32 (syswoa64 has already been pruned to the maximum possible by wintsetup miniwin option). till later in the evening for the "complete" system32 list.

unfortunately the windows and windows\system32 subfolder deletions listed here and in the above post cannot be carried out successfully thru miniwin scripts, but have to be made manually online (definitely not offline), thus failing to insist on those files that are open, which should obviously stay undeleted. the overall gain is about 250megs. should I notice anything wrong with the vhd (any behavior that, relative to operation before this deletion, could be considered defective), I will not hesitate to notify u people of it right here. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Image system32.png

#13 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 June 2022 - 01:00 PM

Oh, before I forget, pls do all ur deletions one by one, as there must be something that tells the system to interpret multiple deletions as tampering and makes activation disappear. 

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:47 PM

The only real difference between me then and now is that I'm in a relationship with a woman I like, and I'm now making the kind of money that allows me to live a comfortable lifestyle. Not enough to make me rich, but enough to pay bills and still have more than enough left over for non-essentials. As for her, she's had the effect of making me a bit...nicer...than before.

I had already re-registered under a new account within a few days of the deletion, but I forgot that username and the associated email. Wonko even replied to a thread I created, but I believe it was the only one. No activity before or after that.

(.....)

Nuno: I've once again proven that it's possible to register here without linking to a Twitter account. I used email only. It seems that the Twitter thing is optional. Just had to point that out once again.

Hello Vendetta,

Welcome back. I'm really happy to read the good news about your life, that is certainly the best.

Recognizing our own behavior takes courage and being humble at the same time. We've all been there too, thankfully we're from the last generations before every dumb thing we did got posted to social media with our names attached to them.

I'll see if it is possible to disable that twitter requirement, at the time was mostly to keep spammers away but seems quite useless now.

Wonko is right about the older account being deleted when it was requested, sorry about that. Maybe possible if directly editing the data on the MySQL database somehow but not sure if it would even work.

Have fun, nice seeing you again. :cheers:

#15 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:50 AM

You actually found a women. Wow!
  • Brito likes this

#16 VendettaReborn

VendettaReborn
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:08 PM

Hello Vendetta,

Welcome back. I'm really happy to read the good news about your life, that is certainly the best.

Recognizing our own behavior takes courage and being humble at the same time. We've all been there too, thankfully we're from the last generations before every dumb thing we did got posted to social media with our names attached to them.

I'll see if it is possible to disable that twitter requirement, at the time was mostly to keep spammers away but seems quite useless now.

Wonko is right about the older account being deleted when it was requested, sorry about that. Maybe possible if directly editing the data on the MySQL database somehow but not sure if it would even work.

Have fun, nice seeing you again. :cheers:

You didn't really think requiring Twitter would be enough to keep the scammers/spammers at bay...did you?

Bots are very prevalent on the likes of FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. That is (supposedly) the reason why Elon Musk backed out of the Twitter buyout, under the pretense that they couldn't prove how many of their users are bots.

But it's more likely that he just got cold feet, and/or suddenly decided that his initial offer was too much.

Edited by VendettaReborn, 08 July 2022 - 10:09 PM.

• Brito likes this

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2022 - 02:19 PM

Sorry for delay in replying, was away on vacation.

The number of bots has been quite reduced because of that plugin, not so much to worry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users