Raw Registry Editor

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Nuno,
GOOD work, but the left scrollbar easily (on "long" subtrees) extends itself down beyond bottom of the window, even in maximized state.
:(

Would you mind posting a screenshot?

You can extend the subtree window with the mouse to make room for long subkeys.

Look on my screenshot:
demo_rawreg.PNG

I might be understanding things wrong and that's why I ask for a screenshot.

Option->Header->Timestamp:
The date is still 1st January 1601.

Some hives don't mention this value on the header but it is working well.

I've tested this feature on the hives you sent me and it works on the software one.

Editing keys:
REG_SZ OK :(
REG_MULTI_SZ OK :)
REG_DWORD OK :), but providing for Hex values too would be advised.
REG_BINARY NO GO :(

The edit "Value" window should be made wider for longish REG_SZ values such as:

or even:

It's still a rudimentary way using a standard dialog frame from windows - will create a new form just for helping edit/create keys.

Adding a new key or value is not possible yet? :(

:)

jaclaz

Should you also be labeled as "mind reader"? :ph34r: :)

I'm working on this feature at this precise moment, just came here to check the news, I expect to see basic registry alike functions ready by the end of this week.

These are my initial goals

- Key Create
- Key Delete
- Key Read
- Key Move

#27 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:39 PM

Here it is, I miss the "down arrow" button.

jaclaz

Attached Thumbnails

• rawreg.jpg

#28 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hmm..

It's a scaling issue.

The program is trying to scale it's components to match your visual definitions.

I've disabled scaling and uploaded a new binary, please try again.

Thank you for posting the screenshot.

#29 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

It's a scaling issue.

The program is trying to scale it's components to match your visual definitions.

I've disabled scaling and uploaded a new binary, please try again.

Now it works perfectly! :)

Thanks.

jaclaz

#30 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Just for the record, rawreg appears to work flawlessly with ReactOS hives. :)

jaclaz

#31 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for reporting back.

The newer version should work even better then.

On the previous release I mentioned some bug on paraglider's hive but I later discovered some particular behaviors that needed to be sorted out.

Still working on them but a new version with full support for writing keys in all possible manners should be near.

#32 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

Version 1.3 is available

Download link: http://www.nunobrito...oad.php?view.10

Added - Support for correctly creating new keys, value lists, subkeylists and values
Added - support for deleting keys
Added - support for creating keys
Added - Support for creating new values
Fixed - Writing value titles has been improved
Fixed - reported size of value keys has been corrected

On this version it was added the most important functions to add/remove keys and values which was the missing step to also include this feature inside the next winbuilder beta to overcome Vista UAC limitations.

Only missing the UI feature to create new values that is already coded and tested as working but I'm still missing to add the respective menu to aid on this task.

No binary value write support yet but should be added soon. (also missing the proper menu window)

Performance has slowed a bit when compared to the previous version because we now need to read the full keyname of each subkey to later know exactly how they can be sorted when adding a new key to the subkey list, this slow response is noticeable on heavy sized hives like the software one (>8Mb) when browsing the Classes key.

My concern for the moment is stability and bug solving.

Once we got things working in a stable manner will focus on speed.

Took a very long time to code all these functions because it wasn't a linear process and involved too much time debugging and testing until it worked minimally well. (you don't imagine how many times I had to cross compare bin hives on the hex editor to figure why it wasn't working right) but I think that it's finally working a bit like expected even thought there is still a lot of things to do.

Please test and let me know your opinion.

Thank you.

:cheers:

#33 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:54 AM

Cannot persuade it to expand the software\classes key. It went into a 100% cpu loop for several minutes and used up 500mb of memory by the time I killed it.

#34 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'm testing on my dual core CPU with the same software hive you emailed me, this is a very puzzling hive.

Previously it was possible to read the values on this hive if we added a small check that would skip the subkey data cell when it didn't began with the nk identifier but even then there were too many subkeys that weren't displayed at all but were still visible on the registry.

Could it be one of those subkeys that will link to another registry section? :cheers:

----

Also, you can add and delete keys or values from all visible keys without constraints because it will ignore any security permission (ACL's) but whenever you try to load the hive on regedit it will be marked as corrupted.

This happened on the BCD hive, if I try to add a new key inside the control section it will mark the hive as corrupted but creating keys on the same hive outside this section works just well.

Maybe this has also something to do with the class property.

At the moment, both security and classes values are simply ignored and whenever adding a new key it will inherit the same properties as the parent key.

Will keep working on your hive to learn why it is not working on the classes section.

#35 thunn

thunn

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:computers<br />mechanics<br />distortion<br /><br />
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hey Nuno!

thanks for explaining the current progress.

great work!

-t

#36 Fosna

Fosna
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Croatia

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi [everyone/nuno].

I noticed that when opening rawreg.exe for the first time (when no hive was ever loaded) dialog box pops up.
OS info: win xp sp3; livexp rescue

The dialog box
Posted Image

Thought it might help.

Anyways, thx for everything you did. It helps a lot and it is inspiration as well.

edit: [offtopic]
I'd need tool for "raw" reading system logs (event viewer capabilities). Just the thing that Raw Reg Edit does for me now but for logs. :whistling: Can you recommend smtg?

edit2: rawregedit.exe -> rawreg.exe

#37 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi Fosna,

Can you try running rawreg without the rawreg.ini file on the same dir? ;)

If the same error persists, I would then suggest try tracking down which dependency DLL's need to be added onto LiveXP's system32 folder.

I hand coded all hive functions without need for external dependencies and the program itself doesn't use any strange libraries.

Being compiled on delphi7 should also ensure it would work down to windows 95.

I will try to test myself to see what is going on.

--

I'd need tool for "raw" reading system logs (event viewer capabilities). Just the thing that Raw Reg Edit does for me now but for logs.

Already done, look here: http://www.pyflag.ne...es/EventLogTool

It was coded for linux but can run under cygwin or probably compiled with win32 python with some luck.

Main page is here: http://www.pyflag.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi

:whistling:

#38 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

It was an issue with the webpage because it was pointing to the old version.

The newer versions should work well without any error messages.

#39 Fosna

Fosna
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Croatia

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hi Fosna,

Can you try running rawreg without the rawreg.ini file on the same dir? :whistling:

I've tried, but problem persists. It seems that rawreg.exe is looking for LastFile (or smtg like it) variable in rawreg.ini which does not exist just yet. After I successfully open one hive and LastFile line is added to rawreg.ini problem is solved. If I start program after that, everything works smooth. Anyway it's just a glitch. Not a thing I'd worry about too much.

Another observation. Older version of program, rawreg.exe (v1.1 I believe) works much better for me. It loads hive files faster. When I use "raw load hive.exe" (which I've downloaded yesterday) I experience out of virtual memory warning. I could work around that, but my point is that you should (I ask you kindly to) put rawreg.exe on your site as well if you don't have it. It works much faster. Anyway, even if "raw load hive.exe" loads hive, it takes like minute or so. That's not comfortable if comparing to rawreg.exe. After hive loads things run smooth as far as I'm concerned.

Just to sum it up. Program helps a lot and works pretty much alright if not perfict. That's me sayin thx again. ;)

P.S.: Thx for links too.

#40 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

Something is wrong then, I've just tried downloading from the site and it is working well on my emulated XP that is a clean box and I also ran it from a linux box under wine without issues or error boxes.

Are you surely using version 1.3? (click Help -->About)

http://nunobrito.eu/...oad.php?view.10

The initial versions would try to read all keys inside a hive, the later versions use a method that is far more efficient and will explore and find keys only as needed.

The speed difference is huge when using bigger hives like the software one, so if you're mentioning that you don't the later ones

#41 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

thank you grate tool, but can i use this from command line?

#42 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

This feature is now being added inside winbuilder as a new set of script commands.

You should soon (next wb beta/stable version) be able to write your scripts and add data onto these hives automatically from there.

Running winbuilder from command line makes it possible to run any given script you wish.
winbuilder.exe /run=myscript.script

#43 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

@Nuno
Are you planning to release all information you have about how to write the keys, ... , so it can be implemented by the developers of ReactOS (and wine) and "NT Offline Password & Registry Editor"? Or do you want to keep the secret for yourself :) ?

http://home.eunet.no...swd/editor.html

Current features of the registry tools / library (NT Offline Password & Registry Editor)

Library:

* Open several hives at once (they are however not linked in path-wise)
* Add and remove keys (not rename, sorry)
* Add and remove values of any type. (no rename here either)
* Read data in values
* Put data into values.
* (Recursive) iterate / list keys, get values types etc.
* Recursive delete of keys
* Read key "class" field
* Expansion of the hive file is not supported yet, thus only free space in it will be utilized when addid data.
* Currently just ignores security descriptors in the registry.
* Supports registry hives with different key indexing, so it covers all versions from NT3.51 to Vista 32/64bit and 2008 server.

#44 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

All my efforts on this field are focused on allowing WinBuilder to fully work with NT4/5/6/7 registry hives regardless the work platform API, the security permissions or whatever necessary.

So, my goal since the beginning is to add this unique feature on a truly unique tool like wb and I'll continue devoting all my talent to see it done even better than windows or any other project ever did.

#45 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi Nuno,

Any chance you can add search/replace functionality?

Regards,
niche99

#46 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Yes, it's possible but at the moment I'm giving attention to other projects. Once wb is ready for stable and boot land is free from the spam members then I'll be ready to work much harder on rawreg to implement any suggested features.

#47 cniggeler

cniggeler
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi, great product! Tech support or feature request: is there a way to export a key? I upgraded to Win7 and a software product I used on XP rather inconveniently stores all its data in the Registry! I can find the key readily using RawReg, but there are several subkeys so it would be excellent to simply export the key to a .reg file a la regedit...

Thank you,
Chris

#48 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Is it still available anywhere to download?

Thanks

sebus

#49 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Is it still available anywhere to download?

Attached. Removed, was the old 1.1 version, see two posts below.

Please note how we now have new, "better" methods to access an offline Registry :):
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=11212
http://www.boot-land...?...c=11312&hl=

Wonko

#50 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thanks, I know the other two threads, but on this occasion I need a visual tool (normally I love the command line tools)
Anybody has the latest 1.3 version?

sebus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users