221 replies to this topic

#51 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4202 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Retesting and rereading the documentation. I noticed I missed this part
"update all available Controller drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section to
Standard Controller"

Maybe having a before and after screenshot of how it should look might keep others from trying to only update one Controll driver like I had done on the first test. Also the user needs to be reminded not to select the, do a system restart, even though everytime you update each available Controller to a Standard Controller.

When doing the ETpatch
You get 2 times or more the option to input "Target Drive". I pointed them to c: drive since I have windows installed there.

It keeps suggesting for me to use the D drive, but I dont have Windows installed there.
I figured what the problem was. The Target Drive needs to be C: not c: . So the drive letter typed in "C:" has to be capitalized .

After that, the process continued and asked for windir. Per youre example and my mistake in typing "c" lowercase. I will type WINDOWS in capital Letters.

Finished the test and I have successfully created a bootable ISO I think.
I looked at the WindowsLive CD and it seems to be blank. But there seems to be a C drive. Which im thinking is the way its suppose to work.
Anytime I boot up I get a promp to install drivers for the new Harddrive device. Which i think is the C: drive.
It says it needs a reboot to be properly installed. But if you reboot you will get the same prompt again.

Questions.

I saw that one of the options in the ETpatch Options says
Restore Target to default. Can you explain that more.

Also is there a way to disable EWF from the real drive just incase you wan to make some changes or install new apps and then rebuild a new ISO.

EWF.jpg

#52 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

Retesting and rereading the documentation. I noticed I missed this part
"update all available Controller drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section to
Standard Controller"

Maybe having a before and after screenshot of how it should look might keep others from trying to only update one Controll driver like I had done on the first test. Also the user needs to be reminded not to select the, do a system restart, even though everytime you update each available Controller to a Standard Controller.

When doing the ETpatch
You get 2 times or more the option to input "Target Drive". I pointed them to c: drive since I have windows installed there.

It keeps suggesting for me to use the D drive, but I dont have Windows installed there.
I figured what the problem was. The Target Drive needs to be C: not c: . So the drive letter typed in "C:" has to be capitalized .

After that, the process continued and asked for windir. Per youre example and my mistake in typing "c" lowercase. I will type WINDOWS in capital Letters.

Since ETBoot project was originally developed for my own use/research, so I didn't consider about how other users will use it because I don't need any instruction to use it.
It maybe need to be improved again.

Finished the test and I have successfully created a bootable ISO I think.
I looked at the WindowsLive CD and it seems to be blank. But there seems to be a C drive. Which im thinking is the way its suppose to work.
Anytime I boot up I get a promp to install drivers for the new Harddrive device. Which i think is the C: drive.

The CD is blank because you chosen hide file/image while building ISO.

It says it needs a reboot to be properly installed. But if you reboot you will get the same prompt again.

This is normal when installing some driver on user mode.
All changes will be reset due to the EWF or read-only media.

Questions.

I saw that one of the options in the ETpatch Options says
Restore Target to default. Can you explain that more.

Also is there a way to disable EWF from the real drive just incase you wan to make some changes or install new apps and then rebuild a new ISO.

That restore option just simply copy back the original untouched registry hive.

#53 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4202 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for the answers. From reading youre first post I had, had the impression that you had tested prior to posting. That is why im guessing youre instructions are real good and well written so others can follow them. I just included my impressions, just incase you ever did some update to the pdf or if someone ran into the same problems i did. They could just read this posts and figure out the solution.

Well I had read about this ability for a couple of year, but not untill you posted youre method did I dare try it out. And sure is worth it.

I just remembered where are the temp installed files stored. Are they in RAM or does this have anothere way of temporarily keeping files.

If we want to save some data, for example a zip file or the such we can just back it up like normal to a USB stick or something of that nature, right.

Thank you!

#54 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the answers. From reading youre first post I had, had the impression that you had tested prior to posting. That is why im guessing youre instructions are real good and well written so others can follow them. I just included my impressions, just incase you ever did some update to the pdf or if someone ran into the same problems i did. They could just read this posts and figure out the solution.

Well I had read about this ability for a couple of year, but not untill you posted youre method did I dare try it out. And sure is worth it.

I just remembered where are the temp installed files stored. Are they in RAM or does this have anothere way of temporarily keeping files.

If we want to save some data, for example a zip file or the such we can just back it up like normal to a USB stick or something of that nature, right.

Thank you!

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, all data thatis being written to current EWF protected volume are redirected to the RAM (disk overlay).
You still can backup the files like normal to any supported volume as long as it has not EWF protection enabled to the disk.

#55 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4202 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

Yes, all data thatis being written to current EWF protected volume are redirected to the RAM (disk overlay).

It would have been nice to have somekind of Gui add to the OS to tell EWF if you want to use something other RAM.

Since we type the following to activate EWF.

ewfmgr c: -enable

Can we assume that the opposite command would disable it.

ewfmgr c: -disable

If it is so. I was thinking off adding some other stuff to the real OS before EWF protecting again and creating an ISO.

I was going to do

then use ETpatch to
Restore Target to default.

#56 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

It would have been nice to have somekind of Gui add to the OS to tell EWF if you want to use something other RAM.

Read post #50 above, test the app, report :).

jaclaz

#57 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Jaclaz,

Would it be possible to move this ET Boot discussion to the "Submit your program" section?

Just to increase visibility - also think that the above mentioned section would likely be better rebaptized as "Submit your program or project" to give more flexibility.

What do you think?

:)

#58 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

It seems to me a very good idea, Nuno, I am doing it, can you later change name of the section?

jaclaz

#59 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yes, will do it right away! :)

#60 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:24 AM

Since we type the following to activate EWF.

ewfmgr c: -enable

Can we assume that the opposite command would disable it.

If it is so. I was thinking off adding some other stuff to the real OS before EWF protecting again and creating an ISO.

I was going to do

then use ETpatch to
Restore Target to default.

You don't need to restore the target to default, just simple use:

ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable -live

you may also refer the available command line option for ewfmgr by typing:

ewfmgr /?

#61 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4202 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

Read post #50 above, test the app, report :).

jaclaz

Yes! something like this from post 50. But more polished.
EWF.jpg

I tried the disable button but it didnt work. It seems to be EWF protected still.
I created a blank Folder to test and then rebooted and when rebooted the empty folder was not there.

#62 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4202 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

You don't need to restore the target to default,

I see. One just needs to disable the filter from the running OS.

just simple use:

ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable -live

you may also refer the available command line option for ewfmgr by typing:

ewfmgr /?

Thank you!

#63 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:27 AM

I see. One just needs to disable the filter from the running OS.

Thank you!

You're welcome :)

#64 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

The project works fine. but i have two questions still.#

is it possible to change the letter of the drive before the installation of windows xp? i tried to change it in vistape, but after i started the setup, it was c: again. is it posssible to change it?

what if burn the image to a 8.5GB DVD ? can i make the iso more then 3.9 GB?

Some ideas?

#65 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

The project works fine. but i have two questions still.#

is it possible to change the letter of the drive before the installation of windows xp? i tried to change it in vistape, but after i started the setup, it was c: again. is it posssible to change it?

what if burn the image to a 8.5GB DVD ? can i make the iso more then 3.9 GB?

Some ideas?

It is possible to use other drive letter instead of C:, but may need to create second partition which are not allowed build ISO image.

As I said in post #12:

The size of hard disk image limited to 4GiB - 1 Byte because the ISO9660 file system limit, it use 32bit value to store size information 232 (0xFFFFFFFF).
Only one hard disk image that contain 1 partition are allowed.

#66 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

thank you for the answer! :)
i wanted to change the drive letter because i wanted to boot the windows live dvd parallel to the windows that is installed on c: . So i wanted to change the system drive letter of the windows live dvd to w:.

#67 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

But you actually can.

Use Migrate.inf, see this:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=19663&hl=

But I wonder what do you mean by "loading parallel" :), Do you mean that you want to use the ETboot just like a "common" PE?, if this is the case it would be better to use "X:" as most people have that letter free for PE.

jaclaz

#68 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

thank you :)
the letter doesn't matter. i just used the first letter that i thought of. i'll try it out.

#69 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

I tried it but it didn't worked. It's possible that i've made something wrong. can you may help me?

What i exactly ant is that the letter of the main drive is z: instead of c:
The content of my MIGRATE.inf is the following:

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
[Addreg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\U:",0x00030001,\
10,27,11,27,00,7E,00,00,00,00,00,00

i think that i have to delete the original key.So it possibly look like this:

[Version]
[Addreg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\Z:",0x00030001,\
10,27,11,27,00,7E,00,00,00,00,00,00

[Delreg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\C:"

but i'm not sure. please help me

#70 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Well, you have to adapt the key to YOUR Disk Signature, which SHOULD not be the same as mine! :) (10 27 11 27)

You need to check the Disk Signature on YOUR MBR, either with a disk editor or with MBRFIX:
http://thestarman.pc...br/Win2kmbr.htm
http://home.graffiti...z:graffiti.net/

And no, since the migrate.inf is (should be) read and used during the setup of the XP on the Disk, there is no need to delete the C:\ related key, since it will NOT be there to be deleted.

jaclaz

#71 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

I've created the partition w: (because z: was used for VistaPE from VistaPE and copied the batch file to this drive. The result is the following:

[Version]

[Addreg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\W:",0x00030001,\
06,99,4F,F3,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00

Bat it didn't change anything. the windows setup installs it still on c:
So the letter of the drive is changed by the setup.

#72 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

Bat it didn't change anything. the windows setup installs it still on c:
So the letter of the drive is changed by the setup.

That's strange, the trick is used (and it works) for the "Install FROM USB" method:
http://www.msfn.org/...P-USB-f157.html

Maybe there is some settings in some other file that needs a correction.

When are you copying the migrate.inf file to the \$WIN_NT$.~BT folder?

jaclaz

P.S.: Try making the migrate.inf using the MkMigrateInf2.cmd contained in USB_MultiBoot4.zip

#73 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

I copy it in to the \i386\system32\ folder on the installation cd. where is the \$WIN_NT$.~BT folder?

#74 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

I copy it in to the \i386\system32\ folder on the installation cd. where is the \$WIN_NT$.~BT folder?

It's on the hard disk, before first reboot.

Sorry, maybe I gave for acquired some info that is not at all obvious.

You need to read this:
http://support.micro...kb/234048/en-us
first thing, then you might probably want to have a PE (or another XP install) and use WINNT32.exe to install instead of the CD, see this:
http://www.msfn.org/...ppy-t77526.html

But you also may try putting it in \I386\, NOT \I386\system32\ on the CD.

jaclaz

#75 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hi ! I'm new in this trail and i need some help.

Download Toolkits + Tutorial:

The extrected ETPatchBoot.iso does not boot in VM, I have try in several modes : as image in VM/CD
as Virtual CD / DaemonTools or PowerISO, Magic ISO, Ultra ISO Virtual CD drives.
Please, if have somebody an ideea what's happening, tell me.
Up this step everithing is OK. VM is runing W2003SP1 eXPerince version.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users