#1 roughclaw

roughclaw
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Fellow Bootlanders,

I got an ultraportable that has no drive on it. It does'nt accept USB boot(in BIOS config).
Availables are i.link and network boot. The first maybe NOT possible (can't find any SONY shop with
cheap I.link supported drive). My only option now is Network boot.

I tried Tftpd32 on one of my XP Pro PC in a router (DHCP which assign static IP on my Client) . THe other is a client(Ultraportable) and has a PXE
capability(PXE 2.0). I want this UPC to boot on network since I accidentaly delete all the necessary boot file on its C: which is my system and I know since I got the msg "NTLDR is missing"

When running the Tftpd32 on my XPpro, I could see that the client is requesting some files"bootfiles maybe" by observing the LOG VIEWER. My question now..
1. What are the files needed?
2. Where should I put the file?
3. What is the path that needs to be assigned by Tftpd32?

My UPC has two OS C: XP pro and D: XP home.

Any help is highly appreciated...thanks you all Bootlanders

Roughclaw

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

Two places to look into:
http://winner.windowsdream.com/
(the documentation is good even if you do not use it)

http://www.collewijn...e/tftpd_ris.php

jaclaz

#3 roughclaw

roughclaw
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi Jaclaz,

I used the winner (SysAngel) and my UPC can boot using a PXE...thanks a lot.

The only problem now is that "as they warned" the Graphical interface can't work on some adapter.
The X11 is not working. I can't install a windows OS.

It leads me to a LINUX envi..which I'm not familiar. How can I modify it so that I can let the Graphical interface works? The Window installation is on that module...is it on the "default"?

Maybe, I should start learning LINUX..:cheers: I'll take a look on your second option.

Thanks again

Roughclaw

BOOTLANDERS RULE!!!!!

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

Also, some ideas can be found here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2322

Maybe, like in the case of dani4925 it would be easier to use a DOS network bootdisk and copy the installation files (\I386 directory) locally.

jaclaz

#5 roughclaw

roughclaw
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hi Jaclaz,

Finally!!! the X11 of Sysangel is working.

The problem was that.... I was using my XPpro server on a WIFI "g" and the kernel download
to the client will have a time out 'I guess". Connecting it to a wired LAN easily activated the GUI.

Just a hint to every one. I didn't read the manual of the SYSangel Installer but
pressing F12 will lead you to some menu choices. You can 'RESTART' on the (EXIT menu) the application if ever you where in a situation that you have no internal CD/DVD drive and the application kept asking on it.

Just "window share " source folder of your samba server (my case..its the XPpro with OUTPUT folder).
You need to use the SysAngel DVD generator to create the DVD.iso and it will automatically save it to your shared folder(just be patience) it take time to create the ISO via internet.

As for the DHCP, must have a knowledge on this since sysangel will ask this a lot.

Im having my cup of coffee now..and everthing is installing by itself.

Cheerrrrss!!!.....to this Sysangel and thanks a lot to all the ppl on this forum.

Jaclaz..thanks for setting this site..I hope my problem can help other ppl with no CD/DVD drive, no USB boot capa., no Floppy .and only a PXE enabled NIC..from time to time, I will be checking this site so I could share some thoughts to ppl with related issue. That is "to the best of my knowledge only"..:cheers:

Roughclaw

#6 TrV

TrV
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

My question : which computer can have NO cd/dvd drive, NO floppy, and does NOT accept USB boot.... still searching : how have they install OS first time ?

Hints: take the hdd and put it in another computer ?

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

@roughclaw

Happy everything is fine now. :cheers:

@TrV

how have they install OS first time ?

Hints: take the hdd and put it in another computer ?

Maybe using PXE booting as described in this thread, though most probably (time is money, exception made for us "amateurs" :cheers:) they have some kind of HD duplicating paraphernalia, something like these:
http://www.logicube....niclone10xi.asp
and once they have a drive properly setup they simply clone it changing just the Serial....

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users