antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

Hi guys, 

I beg you pundits here, would you kindly tell to me (as the Irish would say) how some ppl around have managed to shrink the size of winsxs (notoriously 5gb or more) to even less than 100megs, keep it this small and still have windows 10 work? I have also tried exporting it to some other win10 builds and believe me it works. Come on, let us start a crusade for something worthwhile, in terms of both space and speed. 

• Brito likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Only seemingly unrelated, Windows 7 (only for reference and inspiration) on FAT32:

http://reboot.pro/to...rdlinked-files/

:duff:

Wonko

#3 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

It was not at all unrelated, wonko, it was actually so poignant. My point is, though, that even with all those tries, especially the last one concerning the x86 stuff, I believe the winsucks thing would still be larger than mine (I still wonder how the heck mine was done, though). want me to post the list of it?

#4 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

here is my winsxs, with all the contents in the screenshot, amounting to 95megs (size on disk 39megs). Contents and size have never changed since setup. can those attempts u posted the reference to make it this small?

Attached Files

#5 Camiel

Camiel

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

Both ntlite and winreducer can clean WinSxS in to a tiny minimum that depends on your system. Mine is around 63mb. I am not aware of any manual method. I would love to hear about that.

However, such cleanup does break various windows subsystems, like "windows features" and "windows update", which in tun causes other components that rely on them to break too, updating .NET for example relies on "windows features". 

#6 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:37 PM

I am not using any of these features and the system has not broken at all so far. My ntlite sessions have yielded a reduction in space usage with all builds; plethoric and non-plethoric winsxs folders have always stayed as they were, though.

btw, i have not modified the contents of the folder, which has always been like this. I have asked the guy how the heck he kept it so small and intact, but he has not replied yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users