Photo
- - - - -

help.. how not to grubinst

Best Answer DavidB , 21 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

Well, I was able to recover the unaccessible partitions by using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.
In its interface I right clicked on the disk and selected "Partition recovery". I then choosed "Full disk" and then tried with "Quick scan".
You can try with "Full scan" if "Quick scan" doesn't find them.
After that right click on partitions and assign them letters.

If it's unsuccessful you can also try with TestDisk.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Location:vasodilator madness .....hydrocephalus ...........hose your mind thx ............. Dr Struck off ... .......... Bedsforhire
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

Hi guys ....Aaaaagh... I've managed to navigate down sh*te street without a paddle somehow!

Experimented (fool) with 500GB NTFS USB seagate drive hooked-up with "grubinst_gui.exe"
thought I'd install grub4dos to secure FAT32 10GB partition (was secured by password)
now opened.... (was)

After sucessful install the virtual Z:10GB FAT32 drive disappeared and the NTFS drive
now is RAW prompting me to format it!!

It would be a shame to lose the 200GB(?) of used data from it.
It might be possible to retrieve data using salvage software.

With help (please) from your good lovely Reboot.pro members I'd rather find a shorter
solution that will stop me pulling my hair out!

... hmmm have a good laugh at the pic lol (can'nt believe I did this)

2lcaejb.jpg

#2 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

One option will be to try to restore the original MBR, using grubinst_gui.

Just tick on "Restore the previous MBR" and click on Restore button.

If it was restored, disconnect and reconnect the disk.

#3 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Location:vasodilator madness .....hydrocephalus ...........hose your mind thx ............. Dr Struck off ... .......... Bedsforhire
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

I'm afraid I had already messed with it prior by using another setting to NTFS the pic in my first post now reads as:

FDD  NTFS 0.0MB and is still raw

Edited by dummkopf007, 20 March 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

Can you explain clearly what the disk partition arrangement was.

Did you use grubinst_GUI or something else (why show a screenshot of something that is not grubinst-GUI (bootice??).

What exactly is this secure FAT32 password-protected partition? How was it made?

Before you do anything to the drive, please explain more clearly...

#5 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

hi Steve6375 the pic is from Bootice app only (not used) used as it showed a difference

The hidden partition was made from a security app that throws the partition to virtual drive once passworded

Edited by dummkopf007, 20 March 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#6 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

the security app is now toast in the RAW section all I have is the password I do not even know what is is called I have loads of other "giveaway" apps I saved over years on there too lol

(if  possible) I was going to de-activate the password unhide  partition then boot the FAT32  with grub then access the NTFS if all worked well!

(I wo'nt be doing that again ...be safe... still need your help pretty please)

Edited by dummkopf007, 20 March 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#7 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Since you know how to use Bootice: open it, select the disk, click on sector edit and then on "backup to file".

Set it like in the screenshot:

Clipboard01.png

Click on backup. Save a copy of the file in a safe location and also post it here.

#8 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

hi  guys I do appreciate your help sorry about the delay MBR bin file here (saved 0-4 sectors)

hope you find out what the problem is ....this realm it sort of new to me thank you! 

I'm not too bothered about the 10GB FAT32 drive partition I found that I could retrieve data even though it was meant to be secure, using FAT recovery software!

Edited by dummkopf007, 20 March 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#9 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

whoops mistake plz delete

Edited by dummkopf007, 20 March 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#10 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

Looking at the file, seems to be a PBR, not a MBR.
What's weird is that it's got only 1 sector (512/0x200 B) of data. For a long time the Grub4Dos NTFS PBR is 4 sectors long (2048/0x800 B).
What's again weird is it seems to be a "generic" PBR (no info about the partition). So no wonder the OS can't read the data from partition.
Can you show us each step you did in grubinst_gui?

What tool have you used to partition the disk? Was it "disk management" from Windows? If yes, which Windows version? If not, in that tool have you used GPT or MBR?

Late edit: 

I was able to get similar results as you by doing this:
I created a 465 GB virtual HDD, mount it, used MiniTool Partition Wizard to create a 455 GB NTFS partition + a 10 GB FAT32 hidden partition; I then "forced" Grub4Dos installer to see it as a NTFS partitioned floppy by using NTFS instead of AutoDetect at FileSystem.
At this point both partitions are unaccessible.

#11 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

Thank you DavidB for helping me, it was years ago when the drive was partitioned, my memory does not serve me too well it may of been formatted using xp. I did have many partitioning software at the time.

Come to think of it I believe perhaps the security software (name escapes me) created a 10GB secure area FAT32 (size by choice) then it formatted the drive as all data would of been lost at this stage. Yes, then all files were then added.

The secure area software was a "giveaway" and worked OK; but I found I could access/recover files from that area without a password, it served a purpose at the time; meanwhile I had many files in the unsecured NTFS section.

Removing the secure area may of affected the NTFS partition files so I kept it!

Your (Late edit:) seems to decribe what I had mistakenly done, I thought the secure area Z: (10GB FAT32) partition was selected to install grub but it may of been "whole disk"(?)

Realising the error I then turned it to NTFS using grub whole disk (another error) yep I goofed big time!

Edited by dummkopf007, 21 March 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#12 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:59 AM   Best Answer

Well, I was able to recover the unaccessible partitions by using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.
In its interface I right clicked on the disk and selected "Partition recovery". I then choosed "Full disk" and then tried with "Quick scan".
You can try with "Full scan" if "Quick scan" doesn't find them.
After that right click on partitions and assign them letters.

If it's unsuccessful you can also try with TestDisk.

#13 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

THANK YOU DavidB  :1st:  MiniTool Partition Wizard worked!!!! .....I have an older version but did not try recovery untill I was sure.

271GB of data saved and the secure area works the USB app was from Wondershare

I am indebted to you... is there any software you require? (message me) I may have it.

...... thanks again guys (tear:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :loleverybody:

Edited by dummkopf007, 21 March 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#14 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

You're welcome :)

#15 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

kind regards to DavidB for your help :clap:

"Giveaway" :lamo:

MiniTool Partition Wizard 9 Professional Edition (100% Discount) Here  ( deal expires 1 day 7hours @ time of this post)

.......................... thanks

#16 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

kind regards to DavidB for your help :clap:

.......................... thanks

Like I said, you're welcome :)

"Giveaway" :lamo:

MiniTool Partition Wizard 9 Professional Edition (100% Discount) Here  ( deal expires 1 day 7hours @ time of this post)

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users