Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#26 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Dear amalux

thanks for great tutorial, i tried it on my system (P3, 256 MB, Winxp) but got an error in emulation qemu (error code 16 could not open SDI files) and image does not boot. Any fix .....?

Regards

Hi tiwarirr! Yes, welcome to the forum; you're in great hands with Peter (my mentor) and I'm here too to help in any way I can :lol:

Try the following:

Start fresh with this project; don't change anything, just follow instructions again and if something doesn't make sense or you're not sure what is meant; please ask and I'll explain it better. This project produces an image small enough to fit on your machine without issue. (It's important we get a working build first and then we can add more programs later if wanted.)

Important - If you still get an error in Qemu, please close the Qemu window only and allow the build to finish (close the ImgBurn program when it opens as well, no need to burn a CD yet), go to the Log tab and save your HTML log! (saved in your base directory next to WinBuilder.exe).

This will give us important information to determine what's really happening in your build. Use any archiving tool, like 7-zip (free) to compress the log and use the Attachments section (below the reply window) to Browse to and Upload the archived log, then in the drop-down (Manage Current Attachments), click on the icon with a green '+' next to the attachment to include it in your next response. Please let us know what happens and best of luck to you :thumbup:

#27 tiwarirr

tiwarirr
  • Deactivated
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi tiwarirr! Yes, welcome to the forum; you're in great hands with Peter (my mentor) and I'm here too to help in any way I can :lol:

Try the following:

Start fresh with this project; don't change anything, just follow instructions again and if something doesn't make sense or you're not sure what is meant; please ask and I'll explain it better. This project produces an image small enough to fit on your machine without issue. (It's important we get a working build first and then we can add more programs later if wanted.)

Important - If you still get an error in Qemu, please close the Qemu window only and allow the build to finish (close the ImgBurn program when it opens as well, no need to burn a CD yet), go to the Log tab and save your HTML log! (saved in your base directory next to WinBuilder.exe).

This will give us important information to determine what's really happening in your build. Use any archiving tool, like 7-zip (free) to compress the log and use the Attachments section (below the reply window) to Browse to and Upload the archived log, then in the drop-down (Manage Current Attachments), click on the icon with a green '+' next to the attachment to include it in your next response. Please let us know what happens and best of luck to you :thumbup:

Dear Amalux

Thanks to U and your mentor also, i tried with lx40308ln.exe but image not run in qemu and computer shows a low virtual memory error. Log is attached.

Regards

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.7z   120.34KB   230 downloads

#28 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

i tried with lx40308ln.exe but image not run in qemu and computer shows a low virtual memory error.

You are giving 384 MB to qEmu. And that is very difficult if the PC has only 256 MB.

Try
  • In the BootSDI script, decrease the amount of 'Free Space' from 24 to e.g. 2
  • In the qEmu script, decrease the RAM Size from 384 to 180
  • In the project tree, goto Tools > Reopen
  • Click the 'Reopen' Button and wait until the background of 'Reopen' in the pproject tree becomes blue again
  • Click 'Run Them'. This will only run BootSDI and qEmu, not rebuild the complete project.
    Unfortunatelly you do not see any progress. But the BuildSDI is running. Be patient and wait!
If under qEmu you get an error message about 'shodocvw' then you have too less memory and should try to increase the '180' a bit.

But on my system it ran with these values

Peter

#29 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Sorry for slow response time, dealing with an issue on my PC (unrelated to WinBuilder). I'm setting up a machine with 256MB RAM to test and will post (hopefully) later today :lol:

#30 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Tiwarirr,

OK, I've tested on 256MB RAM machine (without any changes to original setup) and everything worked fine. No errors in log, booted in Qemu and real boot fine. Something else is causing your issue, not the RAM limitation. I'm unable to reproduce your DP's Mass Storage error but looking at what could cause that. Can you confirm the size of your Page File (Virtual Memory) - Rt-click My Computer to get System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> Advanced. Don't change anything, just check if setup similarly to here:
Attached File  virmem.JPG   77.25KB   247 downloads

@Peter, I don't believe that Qemu uses real RAM at all, just allocates specified amount as virtual RAM on hard drive.

#31 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

@Peter, I don't believe that Qemu uses real RAM at all, just allocates specified amount as virtual RAM on hard drive.

I don't know, but I think you are right!

Peter :lol:

#32 tiwarirr

tiwarirr
  • Deactivated
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Tiwarirr,

OK, I've tested on 256MB RAM machine (without any changes to original setup) and everything worked fine. No errors in log, booted in Qemu and real boot fine. Something else is causing your issue, not the RAM limitation. I'm unable to reproduce your DP's Mass Storage error but looking at what could cause that. Can you confirm the size of your Page File (Virtual Memory) - Rt-click My Computer to get System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> Advanced. Don't change anything, just check if setup similarly to here:
Attached File  virmem.JPG   77.25KB   247 downloads

Dear Amalux & Peter

It is nice to here that both of you rae taking a great pain to help me.. thanks again . My page file is set to 192-384 MB. And also second image (low size) working just fine on the real hardware with 256 RAM.

Regards

#33 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:45 AM

Dear Amalux & Peter

It is nice to here that both of you rae taking a great pain to help me.. thanks again . My page file is set to 192-384 MB. And also second image (low size) working just fine on the real hardware with 256 RAM.

Regards

We aim to please :lol:

Glad you got it working! :thumbup:

#34 Dietmar Müller

Dietmar Müller
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

I downloaded the 'Deluxe build' (lx40308ti), but ISO will not run inqEmu.

See the screenshot with the error message.

Attached Files

#35 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hi Dietmar, welcome!

My German is so so, looks like lsass.exe couldn't be initialized properly; I know that lsass.exe verifies the validity of the user(s) logging on to the computer but why you would get this here is unknown to me. I've never seen this error before with LiveXP, is it possible to test a real CD boot?

Are there any errors in the log? If so, please Save as HTML and post here for evaluation. Also, can you try the streamlined build here to see if you get same result?

I found an old reference here but seems to be unrelated. I'll keep looking :cheers:

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

Auch von mir ein herzliches Willkommen!

This in most cases happens if the amount memory for qEmu is too small. Try to increase the current '384'

Peter

#37 magic12kenneth

magic12kenneth

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

I created a working basic LiveXP CD. It boots and everything works fine.

I then follow the direction from the tutorial on creating a bootable LiveXP USB. When I try to boot to the USB flash drive, I get an error message about ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted.

What is causing this error message and how do I fix it? Is there another way to create a bootable LiveXP usb?

Kenneth

#38 Dietmar Müller

Dietmar Müller
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi amalux,

thanks for the answer.

Here the log file.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   3.36MB   133 downloads

#39 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

SERVICE POST:

First four of last five posts moved from here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4111

Last post moved from here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5225

Which was the difficult part to understand of this? :
http://www.boot-land...topic=4111&st=3

:cheers:

jaclaz

#40 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi amalux,

thanks for the answer.

Here the log file.

Lots of read/write issues, need more information on source CD (retail M$ or OEM); any background programs running - anti-virus, anti-malware etc. Also, confirm you have full admin rights on your computer. If none of the above is the problem, your going to have to start from scratch with a 'base' build here and then we can add the programs you want later after a successful run :cheers:

#41 magic12kenneth

magic12kenneth

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

jaclaz, thanks for the reply. I will read those links and see if it fix my ntoskrnl.exe error message. I know my motherboard boots my usb flash drive because it works on a DOS bootable usb flash drive.

Update: Ok, I read through the links but I couldn't find anyone having the same error message "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt". It works fine in CD but not in USB.

Any helps would greatly appreciated.

Kenneth

#42 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

jaclaz, thanks for the reply. I will read those links and see if it fix my ntoskrnl.exe error message. I know my motherboard boots my usb flash drive because it works on a DOS bootable usb flash drive.

Update: Ok, I read through the links but I couldn't find anyone having the same error message "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt". It works fine in CD but not in USB.

Any helps would greatly appreciated.

Kenneth

Please be aware that sticks formatted as FAT32 may boot DOS, but fail with NTLDR/SETUPLDR.BIN, the reason has not yet been found but it is something in the bootsector.

If you are using a FAT32 formatted stick, you may want to try the workaround provided by fuwi:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21702

Basically, DOS is loaded, then through grub4dos grub.exe NTLDR or SETUPLDR.BIN are booted.

But the ntoskrn.exe missing, is a completely unrelated error.

Typically it is due to a "wrong" path.

Are you using on the USB stick \I386 (with an edited SETUPLDR.BIN) or \minint directory structure?

Can you post the LOG of your build?

jaclaz

#43 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Hi amalux,

Thanks for your Tutorial and for the handy Stable Projects of WinBuilder LiveXP.
When trying several of your Stable Projects presented in your great Tutorial
I noticed that the decimal comma is missing in the three-figure representation of Disk Size in GB.
The same occurs for folder size as viewed via Properties. In Disk Director 10 all Sizes are 0.

When you want to Format a disk partition of e.g. 25,6 GB of a Disk with Size 256 GB
then when decimal comma is missing you are offered to Format 256 GB.
After some time I dared to do this and everything went well but it remains confusing of what is going to occur.

But there is also some good news. In one of your Stable Projects lx51808cx everything is OK
http://amalux.winbui...e/lx51808cx.exe - Disk and Folder Size OK with Decimal Comma
http://amalux.winbui...s/lx72408cx.exe - and in all other LiveXP Versions the Decimal Comma is missing

Also for WinBuilder 075 beta 4 the Decimal Comma is missing in the three-figure representation of Disk Size in GB.

Do you know which Setting or script Version is determining the appearance of the decimal comma in the Disk size ?

#44 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

Do you know which Setting or script Version is determining the appearance of the decimal comma in the Disk size ?

My guess would be that in that build 'autoLocalization.Script' is enabled, which would give you settings as per your host system.

However, I've just uploaded a new version of the 'Other tweaks' script to the LiveXP server and my other site which includes the option now of gouping file sizes.

Here's the settings:
Hive_Load,HKCU

reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Control Panel\International","sThousand","#$c"

reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Control Panel\International","sGrouping","3;0"

Hive_Unload,HKCU

Regards,
Galapo.

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi amalux,

Thanks for your Tutorial and for the handy Stable Projects of WinBuilder LiveXP.
When trying several of your Stable Projects presented in your great Tutorial
I noticed that the decimal comma is missing in the three-figure representation of Disk Size in GB.
The same occurs for folder size as viewed via Properties. In Disk Director 10 all Sizes are 0.

When you want to Format a disk partition of e.g. 25,6 GB of a Disk with Size 256 GB
then when decimal comma is missing you are offered to Format 256 GB.
After some time I dared to do this and everything went well but it remains confusing of what is going to occur.

But there is also some good news. In one of your Stable Projects lx51808cx everything is OK
http://amalux.winbui...e/lx51808cx.exe - Disk and Folder Size OK with Decimal Comma
http://amalux.winbui...s/lx72408cx.exe - and in all other LiveXP Versions the Decimal Comma is missing

Also for WinBuilder 075 beta 4 the Decimal Comma is missing in the three-figure representation of Disk Size in GB.

Hi wimb, thanks for checking and reporting on this odd behavior; as yet I've been unable to reproduce on my end. I want to be sure I understand sections in red above - I do not have comma in GB rep, rather decimal point (commas in bytes only). So in folder size or disk prop like this
Attached File  propsz.JPG   4.8KB   99 downloadsAttached File  propdk.JPG   8.29KB   97 downloads

and in Disk Director like this Attached File  propdd.JPG   4.07KB   23 downloads
Attached File  rszdd.JPG   8.39KB   102 downloads

Maybe you could supply screen-shots of exactly what you're referring to so I can understand better.

@Galapo,

Can't be 'autoLocalization.Script' as it wasn't included in any of those builds (maybe it should be).

#46 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

@amalux
It is normal that your decimal point would apear in my case (NLD) as decimal comma,
but the decimal sign is absent in lx72408cx and appears in MyComputer lx51808cx.
At the same time Disk Director 10 will show all values as 0 for lx72408cx and correct values for lx51808cx
The ScreenShots illustrating this behaviour are given below.

@Galapo
Thanks for your Other tweaks script. Unfortunately it did solve the decimal sign problem.
'autoLocalization.Script' was not found by me in lx51808cx or lx72408cx

MyComputer - lx51808cx - Decimal comma OK
http://wimb.winbuild...p_lx51808cx.JPG

MyComputer - lx72408cx - Decimal sign Absent
http://wimb.winbuild...p_lx72408cx.JPG

Disk Director 10 - lx51808cx - All Sizes Correct
http://wimb.winbuild...0_lx51808cx.JPG

Disk Director 10 - lx72408cx - All Sizes Zero
http://wimb.winbuild...0_lx72408cx.JPG

#47 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Please check for me what exists at the following in your PE:

HKCU\Control Panel\International,sDecimal
HKCU\Control Panel\International,sThousand
HKCU\Control Panel\International,sGrouping

Thanks,
Galapo.

#48 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi Galapo,

The sDecimal value is empty for lx72408cx whereas for lx51808cx it is a comma
That is indeed the parameter which is wrong in most builds but Correct in lx51808cx :whistling:

The sThousand value is in these cases Correct for me, it is a point .

However when I apply your New Other tweaks script then
sDecimal is still empty, but sThousand is wrong, it is a comma
and sGrouping is then 3;0 where the sGrouping entry was absent in the above cases.
But the wx81808cx build with your NEW Other script has still Zero values in DiskDirector 10 and
the decimal sign is absent in Disk Sizes.

Registry of lx51808cx
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"iCountry"="1"
"iCurrDigits"="2"
"iCurrency"="0"
"iDate"="1"
"iDigits"="2"
"iLZero"="1"
"iMeasure"="1"
"iNegCurr"="0"
"iTime"="0"
"iTLZero"="0"
"Locale"="00000413"
"s1159"="AM"
"s2359"="PM"
"sCountry"="Nederland"
"sCurrency"="€"
"sDate"="-"
"sDecimal"=","
"sLanguage"="NLD"
"sList"=","
"sLongDate"="dddd, MMMM yyyy"
"sShortDate"="d-M-yyyy"
"sThousand"="."
"sTime"=":"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Geo]
"Nation"="176"

Registry of lx72408cx
"iCountry"="1"
"iCurrDigits"="2"
"iCurrency"="0"
"iDate"="1"
"iDigits"="2"
"iLZero"="1"
"iMeasure"="1"
"iNegCurr"="0"
"iTime"="0"
"iTLZero"="0"
"Locale"="00000413"
"s1159"="AM"
"s2359"="PM"
"sCountry"="Nederland"
"sCurrency"="€"
"sDate"="-"
"sDecimal"=""
"sLanguage"="NLD"
"sList"=""
"sShortDate"="d-M-yyyy"
"sThousand"="."

"Nation"="176"

Registry of wx81808cx with NEW Galapo Other tweaks
"iCountry"="1"
"iCurrDigits"="2"
"iCurrency"="0"
"iDate"="1"
"iDigits"="2"
"iLZero"="1"
"iMeasure"="1"
"iNegCurr"="0"
"iTime"="0"
"iTLZero"="0"
"Locale"="00000413"
"s1159"="AM"
"s2359"="PM"
"sCountry"="Nederland"
"sCurrency"="€"
"sDate"="-"
"sDecimal"=""
"sLanguage"="NLD"
"sList"=""
"sShortDate"="d-M-yyyy"
"sThousand"=","
"sGrouping"="3;0"

"Nation"="176"

#49 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hi wimb,

Thanks for testing!

However when I apply your New Other tweaks script then
sDecimal is still empty, but sThousand is wrong, it is a comma

"Wrong" here is a relative term. Some localisations -- like mine -- use a comma here, which is why I put it in.

My feeling is that I'll remove the added option from the script and leave it up to the autolocalisation script. Please download from here and test: http://livexp.boot-l...lization.Script

Regards,
Galapo.

#50 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi wimb,

Thanks for testing!

"Wrong" here is a relative term. Some localisations -- like mine -- use a comma here, which is why I put it in.

My feeling is that I'll remove the added option from the script and leave it up to the autolocalisation script. Please download from here and test: http://livexp.boot-l...lization.Script

Regards,
Galapo.

I made the autoLocalization script before I introduced nativeEx.

Using nativeEx the autoLocalization script should be unnecssary, because all localization is read from the source CD.

There is only one case where autoLocalization still makes sence:

You build from a CD with a language different from your local PC's language, and you want to have your local PC's language settings in the PE.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users