#26 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Try this: UFDisk Utility 1.0.0.2 http://mfiles.naver....ies_1.0.0.2.exe
Works great with Lexar flashdrives and they don't have to be U3 , others I'm not so sure. Has provision to load iso file and to boot it as cdrom.
With this your PC will see it as cdrom drive.

I'm trying this with an SMI USB stick. It's detected ok, and adding an ISO through the AutoRun menu seems successful, but the stick still isn't working as a CD. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Mike

#27 gearmaker

gearmaker

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Lexar flashdrives I know for sure work. I have found that incompatible drives are not recognized. You say yours is so maybe it is OK.

The size of ISO may make a difference as I have used ISO,s less than 800MB, standard size for CD.You set this with partition slider in the utility.

If nothing else maybe try diskpart and clean disk and try again.The AutoRun always worked for me with Lexar drives.

#28 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yep - Lexar + SMI_UFDiskUtilities_1.0.0.2.exe works well if you can get around it's peculiarities. See here for a tutorial.

#29 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

For different controllers other than SMI you will find information and tools here you may have to switch from the translated to original text as some 'captcha's' are'nt displayed if you wish to download tools, pdf's etc:.

This is the forum page on flashboot.ru where I originally got the instructions to flash a Smi controller some years ago using the factory tool.

http://translate.goo...9pDPycPa07BW7iQ

#30 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yep - Lexar + SMI_UFDiskUtilities_1.0.0.2.exe works well if you can get around it's peculiarities. See here for a tutorial.

Thanks a million for doing this write-up, Steve :)

I'm trying with both a 4GB and a 16GB SuperTalent stick with the expected SMI VID=090C and PID=1000.

Something isn't right for me though as my Total Size is reported as 0.00 MB and the CDROM size tops out at 50.00 MB. I can see in your tutorial that you get correct readings here (didn't know what to expect until I saw that).

Any ideas?

#31 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Any more details about the controller reported by ChipGeniuous - SM xxxxx?

1000 is a common PID which is used as a default PID by these programming tools - it implies that you or someone else has used a tool to re-program the firmware at some time and lost the original PID...?

#32 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

P.S. Use nirsoft USBDeView to list all devices that were and are connected to your system - maybe one of these will be the original VID/PID of the USB flash drives?

Look for a Class 8  SubClass 6 device.

#33 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Location:vasodilator madness .....hydrocephalus ...........hose your mind thx ............. Dr Struck off ... .......... Bedsforhire
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

hi guys just love your site, been peeking for a while:

been using a Verbatim 16GB stick, hoping to have the CDFS function working one day, "Eureka" 

...... works boots fine ...... just a couple of hours ago!

my first contribution: 

click "youtube" above for file download ^ link                                                

......... keep up the good work, you know your onions

Edited by dummkopf007, 09 January 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#34 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

1000 is a common PID which is used as a default PID by these programming tools - it implies that you or someone else has used a tool to re-program the firmware at some time and lost the original PID...?

Interesting. I have only done numerous attempts with SMI_UFDiskUtilities and a few RmPrepUsb.

P.S. Use nirsoft USBDeView to list all devices that were and are connected to your system - maybe one of these will be the original VID/PID of the USB flash drives?

Will do when I get home tonight!

I've been looking in Windows 7's Device Manager device properties so far.

#35 dummkopf007

dummkopf007

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Location:vasodilator madness .....hydrocephalus ...........hose your mind thx ............. Dr Struck off ... .......... Bedsforhire
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

"Ouch" sorry guys main download link removed from youtube:

https://www.virustot...sis/1357836207/

the second for "ModeConverter.zip" shows:

https://www.virustot...e49a4/analysis/

and

http://r.virscan.org...5f02d48f5f.html

I was just happy that the cdfs worked without scanning the files before posting, damn should of known better!

Edited by dummkopf007, 10 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#36 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I have searched all round my different machines running USBDeview but all I find is the 090c/1000 ids for both sticks. Here's data for one of the sticks:

Port_#0007.Hub_#0005    SMI USB DISK USB Device    Mass Storage    No    Yes    No    No        2011010600000483    2013-01-10 13:58:23    2013-01-10 20:58:32    090c    1000    30.00    08    06    50                        USBSTOR    USB Mass Storage Driver    USBSTOR.SYS    USB    Compatible USB storage device        2.00    USB Mass Storage Device    6.1.7601.17577    USB\VID_090C&PID_1000\2011010600000483    

I can only assume the sticks were this way when I bought them. Is it the made-up ProductId that stops me from creating a correct CD partition? How do these pieces fit together and what can I do? :confused1:

#37 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

It just makes it difficult to find the correct tool - you did not answer my previous Q - what does ChipGenius report about the controller - chip number, model, etc?

#38 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Oh sorry, misunderstood, here's the output of ChipGenius:

Description: [F:]USB Mass Storage Device(SMI USB DISK)
Device Type:        Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 100mA

USB Device ID: VID = 090C PID = 1000
Serial Number: 2011022400009756

Device Vendor: SMI Corporation
Device Name: USB DISK
Device Revision: 3000

Manufacturer: SMI
Product Model: USB DISK
Product Revision: 3000

Chip Vendor: SMI
Chip Part-Number: SM3254AE - ISP 100903-AE-
Flash ID code:      ADD7949A - Hynix H27UBG8T2ATR - 1CE/Single Channel [MLC-8K] -> Total Capacity = 4GB

Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.ne...ial/up/smi.html

and

Description: [F:]USB Mass Storage Device(SMI USB DISK)
Device Type:        Mass Storage Device

Serial Number: 2011010600000483

Device Revision: 3000

Manufacturer: SMI
Product Model: USB DISK
Product Revision: 3000

Flash ID code:      ADD7949A - Hynix H27UDG8VFATR - 4CE/Dual Channel [MLC-8K] -> Total Capacity = 32GB

Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.ne...ial/up/smi.html

#39 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

If you go to http://flashboot.ru/...php?name=iflash and type in 090c and 1000, you will see some utilities listed.

Did you try http://www.flashboot...es-file-61.html  or http://www.flashboot...s-file-224.html  ?

#40 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

This is interesting. I ran sm32Xtest.exe from http://www.flashboot...es-file-61.html (which seems to be SMI's mptool v1.17.13) and clicked "Scan USB", which resulted in:

• 0 MB reported for both USB sticks
  • opening the device properties shows garbled information
  • the 4GB stick triggers some retry behaviour and gets unmounted and mounted repeatedly as long as the mptool is running

Then I tried with SMI's mptool v2.03.58 that I had previously downloaded. It works much better:

• correct MB reported
  • device properties shows correct information

This makes me wonder if I have some new version of the SMI chip not supported by the older tools, and creating the CD partition may work with a newer version of the UfDiskUtilities? Or can I do this with the mptool?

(BTW: is there an easy way to upload screenshots to forum posts?)

#41 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Are you running XP? Many of these tools do not work on Vista/7/8.

#42 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's the same whether I run from Windows 7, Windows 7 XP SP3 compat mode, or Windows XP.

#43 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Looking at http://dl.mydigit.ne...ial/up/smi.html I found an entry with my SMI chip: SM3254AE, and when I download this I get the mptool v2.03.29. Maybe this is the minimum version that works with my sticks?

#44 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

You can but try (and risk it!)

The password for the Settings menu is 320

The info in the menu will be wrong (VID\PID\Serial number, name, etc) you should change this before you program it.

Be aware that you could 'destroy' your USB stick though!

#45 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Try what?

I don't know how to use the mptool :-S - when clicking Settings and entering password it then asks me to select a default.ini file. What can and should I do with the tool?

#46 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I continued through with the "default" default.ini file. Wow, there's a lot of settings in there!

Are you thinking I should "reset" my stick through this program, and later try UfDiskUtilities again for the CD partition, or can  do it all from the mptool?

#47 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Click on Scan - then double-click on the entry displayed on the main window and click on Save Info) - also take a screen capture of this form. Click on Settings and choose a default.ini - you will then see the settings form. All the info in this will be wrong. You will need to change the fields to match what is reported by ChipGenius (take a screengrab of

chipgenious and save the file so you have it safe). Set the inf and click Save to File - choose a name like Lexar001.ini.

'Other Setting' will allow you to set a CDROM portion and a secure hidden (Security Disk) area if you wish.

I have not personally used this tool and I was going to experiment this afternoon on one of my 2GB lexar jumpdrives to test it out...

#48 mikewse

mikewse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ok, so we're in research mode :-)

So basically assign everything we know and let the rest stay at their defaults until proven otherwise?

I found CD mentioned in two places:

1) Main tab > Make Auto Run (can specify .iso)

2) Multi-lun Setting tab > uDisk partitions > Static CDROM Size

I wonder if (2) is a different kind of CD, or just a way to ask for a fixed size "Auto Run" partition? It would be great to have a static CD partition where you could swap .iso file without destroying the other data on the stick?

If you're about to do some tests I might wait to hear about your experiences, there's a LOT of settings :-)

#49 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

This is the drive i flashed using one of the two tools mentioned above I made no changes to any files on the tool and followed a translated page from flashboots.ru forum on the one I used.

Sorry I cant define which one it was, it was about 4 yrs ago.

Description: [J:][K:]USB Mass Storage Device(SMI/SMI USB DISK/USB DISK)
Device Type:        Mass Storage Device

Serial Number: AA04012700007471

Device Revision: 1100

Manufacturer: SMI/SMI
Product Model: USB DISK/USB DISK
Product Revision: 1100/1100

Chip Part-Number: SM324BC - ISP 071205-AA-
Flash ID Code:      ECD755B6 - Samsung - 1CE/Single Channel [MLC-4K] -> Total Capacity = 4GB

Tools on web:       http://dl.mydigit.ne...ial/up/smi.html

but taking note of this above:

Chip Part-Number: SM324BC - ISP 071205-AA- I note that mine is a 324

SM324BC   324

Whereas the one youre working on is

SM3254AE  3254

#50 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

If you're about to do some tests I might wait to hear about your experiences, there's a LOT of settings :-)

OK - just trashed my Lexar 2GB!

I found 4 versions of the MP tool (all similar names) - 2 appeared to detect the Lexar. I used the latest version of that one and reformatted using an autorun entry and the test ISO that came in the zip file (which just has autoruns.exe and autoruns.inf). This appeared to work and I had two devices (a 720MB flash drive and a small CD-ROM. I then wanted to set the device back so I re-ran the app and this time it detected two devicesd in two ports (1 and 3). I unticked the autoruns checkbox and re-ran the utility - now it is not detected by Windows!

If I insert it into any computer, Windows makes a USB-inserted 'ding' noise but no device appears in Disk Manager and there is a bang in Dev Manager!

--> trashed    :cold:

Maybe best not to use the autoruns/cdrom setting on these tools!

I have another 2GB and may try experimenting with that one tomorrow - if I have the nerve! :loleverybody:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users