steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

I am having a problem loading an ISO file under WinPE v3. I am having variable results, using the same commands every time, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
Here is what I am doing

1. Boot to a win7pro.iso image using grub4dos with ISO mapped as (0xff) from a USB flash drive
2. When Win7 Install Windows first screen appears (Language to install, Time and Currency, Keyboard), I type SHIFT+F10 to get a shell
3. Run the three commands as in #1 post (allowing 20 seconds wait between each command just in case)
4. load the iso file as in #1 post (either from the flash drive or the systems C: hard drive)

At step 4 I get 'the system cannot find the file specified'. The thing is I have got this to work a few times when typing in the commands manually but I can never repeat it on fresh boot!
If I type winvblk -cmd detach -d 12 then I get the cannot find the file specified message. Net start winvblock says that the service is already started.

I noticed that drvload does not always give the message to reboot. If it does then step 4 seems to work. Also sc.exe does not seem to be working, it won't even print out any help message.

Any ideas anyone? What on earth is going on..Posted Image

#77 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Sorted!! Posted ImagePosted ImageI used FiraDisk - see http://sites.google....ials/firawiniso for yet another tutorial and how to boot from Windows ISOs.

This has the advantage that you do not need a writeable boot disk.

#78 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Sorted!! Posted ImagePosted ImageI used FiraDisk - see http://sites.google....ials/firawiniso for yet another tutorial and how to boot from Windows ISOs.

This has the advantage that you do not need a writeable boot disk.

thanks steve for the link :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so far It's the best method :cheers:

only i Question
Because I use hard disk instead of flash disk, so I have to type "f:\firadisk\loadiso.cmd" command (not so hard) maby if i put the uanatended.xml in the .iso or in the boot.wim This will help setup to find the file and rid me of typing that command?

#79 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

only i Question
Because I use hard disk instead of flash disk, so I have to type "f:\firadisk\loadiso.cmd" command (not so hard) maby if i put the uanatended.xml in the .iso or in the boot.wim This will help setup to find the file and rid me of typing that command?

You could try this, it would need to be in the boot.wim and modify every iso. You would lose the 'Repair' option though. Personally I can't see that it it so hard just to have a USB flash drive with the AutoUnattend.xml file on it. You can boot from any boot device as long as the USB flash drive is plugged in and has that one file on it.

#80 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

@steve6375
Maybe you can use INSTEAD of devcon.exe this thingy here by paraglider :thumbsup::
devcontrol
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24100
http://www.911cd.net...pic=24100&st=44
http://www.911cd.net...pic=24100&st=47

:thumbsup:
Wonko

#81 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

I modified every iso to find the USB drive and call loadiso.

#82 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

I modified every iso to find the USB drive and call loadiso.

Sorry :thumbsup:, can you explain/expand? :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Wonko

#83 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Unless the same ISO is intended to be installed on multiple systems (that's what sys admins do - right?), its hard to see advantages of pre-modding every ISO. I would favor using unmodified ISOs and type the command at install (or use a Thumb with that file), or at least dynamically auto add the file to the ISO at install (and possibly auto remove it during the same run after the ISO is not needed anymore to preserve integrity).

#84 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

Sorry :thumbsup:, can you explain/expand? :thumbsup:

Wonko

I have added an Addendum section to the end of my Tutorial #43 for you to see...Posted Image

#85 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

steve6375

May I kindly suggest you to offer a clearly separated very BRIEF (sequensual) version of any Tutorial on your website first, then well below it an expended version with explanations and addendums. :thumbsup:

The reason is, many of the actions covered by your Tutorials are designed to be quite easy to perform. But some users get threatten by detail explanations, usually required for a developer to offer the solution, but at times complex enough for a typical user to get distructed from it or wrongly impressed that its too complex for him personally to perform.

#86 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

This hard disk iso patch solution is not yet fully working (no repair feature) and using ImageX/WAIK is really for experienced users. There is probably an easier way to get hold of ImageX and oscdimg but I haven't had the time to work it out or write it up yet. If you cannot follow the Addendum to make a bootable USB hard disk, then for now just put all your ISO files on the USB hard disk and boot from a USB flash drive with the FiraDisk files and grub4dos menu on it. I will see what I can do to make a better guide at a later date.

The Addendum is sequential - it says do x then y then z then follow the tutorial above, then do a few more things. I do explain in other tutorials how to obtain and install and use the WAIK.

#87 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

I wonder if there is any progress in developing this long awaited Win7VBlock driver and relevant method to install Windows 7 to an HD from an unmodded Win7 ISO? :cold:

#88 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I wonder if there is any progress in developing this long awaited Win7VBlock driver and relevant method to install Windows 7 to an HD from an unmodded Win7 ISO? :cold:

Not that I know of. :cold:

#89 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

How we can jump re-start this great project? Why its not moving - are there simple alternatives making it redundant for most novice users? :book:

#90 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

How we can jump re-start this great project?

Asking about it periodically, when you see that there are no updates?

Why its not moving

Fate, bad luck, voodoo :wodoo: ?

are there simple alternatives making it redundant for most novice users?

There is at least one:
http://reboot.pro/9076/
https://sites.google...ials/firawiniso
which you already know about, whether WinVblock would make it redundant for most novice users it's an open question.

What is the problem with that method(s)?
If any please post there or start a new thread, maybe it is possible to solve it. :unsure:

Wonko

#91 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hi Wonko,

I think Sha0 get discouraged at some point to continue this important topic. Meanwhile, forum exchange ideally should not affect important tool development like Win7VBlock, despite recognizing human factors. This is because audience interested in such tools is enormously broader than a few forum members, joking with each other. :boo: Nothing is "wrong" with FiraDisk method to my limited knowledge, except I don't see it as particularly simple one for a novice.

Btw, I was able to install via Grub4DOS an unmodded Win Server 2008R2 RTM from an ISO file located on a SATA drive some time ago with Imdisk. I found that approach simpler, probably because Imdisk was already familiar.

#92 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

:huh: If its not already ME (the reason why these guys ran away) then they've most likely signed up "NDA" with Steve Ball(head)mer? Or someone :unsure: preventing them to focus here?... What else could possibly make them loose interest? besides longest personal or game issues? :mellow:

I know it, its always females :angry: clouding up minds... not that they're all bad but, constantly... :poke: disturbing? :merc:

#93 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I know it, its always females :angry: clouding up minds... not that they're all bad but, constantly... :poke: disturbing? :merc:

And I thought that to find a disturbing peep all it was needed was to look at his/her record of name changes on a given board.... :whistling:
;)

Wonko

#94 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

And I thought that to find a disturbing peep all it was needed was to look at his/her record of name changes on a given board.... :whistling:
;)

Wonko

:ph34r: peeping is natural defect, and from my own computer, freedom applies to me... specially when brain is low (as in DimLow). You sir, are a degree holder to be outside of asylum, everyone is not made same like you... :mellow: and following your steps is crazy for me the stoopid... :sos: so right down there... :blush:

Posted Image

#95 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Can someone suggest where to download this driver Win7VBlock - version that is signed and works in Win7 32 and 64-bit without Test Mode?

#96 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

(wrong link...)

Edited by dog, 30 November 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#97 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

A restriction now is that one cannot have a page-file on a file-backed disk. Since so many users are interested in the image-file-on-USB-storage scenario, they shouldn't be paging to USB flash storage anyway, so this might be better for them. Non-flash is a bit better for paging, but oh well... MS' native .VHD support doesn't support page-files, either[1].

[1] Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

How would one restrict writing a pagefile on a file-backed drive before starting Win7 install from its unmodified Setup ISO to a (file-backed) VHD drive both mounted with WinVBlock?

#98 bomz

bomz

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

How Download Win7Block from here https://github.com/S...tree/master/bin ?

There is this files:
* WinVBlk.cat
* WinVBlk.exe
* WinVBlk.Inf
* WVBlk32.sys
* sc.exe
* txtsetup.oem ???

#99 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

IMG_XP package has the files you are looking for and help file WinVBlock_Install.txt in folder

IMG_XPmakebtSha0-winvblock-b57769fbin

Download - IMG_XP

More Info on using WinVBlock is here http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

#100 bomz

bomz

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image I can't download file from mediafire, open page and don't see anything - empty page. I want Win7VBlock too

I download it with GoogleChrome. And there is floppy image? or win7vblock.sys and inf. ???

Edited by bomz, 10 March 2012 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users