Photo
- - - - -

2.3 Million Downloads of IE9 in the first 24 hours | Microsoft named as one of world’s most ethical companies

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Pietroforte

Michael Pietroforte

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 660 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

• 2.3 Million Downloads of IE9 in the first 24 hours Posted Image
  • Microsoft named as one of world’s most ethical companies Posted Image Also interesting: The don't be evil rival is not in the list.
  • IPaid 2 much: Sold Out and Selling for $13,500 on EBay Posted Image Good that I am just a MS fanboy. Saves me a lot of money. Posted Image
Author: Michael Pietroforte
Copyright © 2006-2011, 4sysops, Digital fingerprint: 3db371642e7c3f4fe3ee9d5cf7666eb0

View the full article

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:25 AM

VERY reliable source:

IPaid 2 much: Sold Out and Selling for $13,500 on EBay

http://www.cio.com/article/677335/IPad_2_Sold_Out_and_Selling_for_13_500_on_EBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3cb6146a96
I can spot a not so trivial difference between $13,500 and $1,350 :whistling:
Or maybe the seller changed his mind? :dubbio:

:ph34r:
Wonko

Attached Files

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Come on.

Don't let facts ruin a good story.. :dubbio:

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

Come on.

Don't let facts ruin a good story.. ;)

Right, can we try applying a few basic "common sense" rules of thumb on one of the other stories? :unsure:

http://www.forbes.co...ethisphere.html

First "common sense" Rule (actually it is Rule #132, but was promoted to #1 in this particular occasion ;) ):
NEVER, and when I say NEVER, I do mean NEVER trust anyone/any organization/any *whatever* that self-declares as:

leading international think-tank

(okay, the international may be allright :) but leading, and expecially think-tank, come on, get real :frusty: )
Reference:
http://ethisphere.com/
http://ethisphere.co...out-ethisphere/

Second "common sense" Rule (actually it is Rule #157):
NEVER, and when I say NEVER, I do mean NEVER trust anyone/any organization/any *whatever* that can actually publish :

In an age of deeper government scrutiny of business operations, increased civil and criminal penalties for compliance failure, and heightened consumer awareness and sophistication, organizations that want to lead realize that there is a direct link between ethics and profits. Ethisphere Magazine was created to illuminate this important correlation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
:whistling:

Third "common sense" Rule (actually it is Rule #178):
ALWAYS, and when I say ALWAYS, I do mean ALWAYS try translating in layman's term and check for consistency with the original :
ORIGINAL:

Our mission is to help corporate executives guide their enterprises toward gaining market share and creating sustainable competitive advantage through better business practices and corporate citizenship. Thought-provoking, entertaining, informative and at times irreverent, Ethisphere Magazine is the must-read publication for all things ethics and compliance.

INTERMEDIATE TRANSLATION:

We are willing to help anyone who is gullible enough to think that by subscribing to our magazine and reading it will make them more money and get away passing off our new, mind-bending, ideas as their own creations to even more gullible people in a higher position in their companies .

LAYMAN'S TRANSLATION:

We want to make money by selling our magazine and advertising and connected events.

Please compare also with:
http://ethisphere.com/mediakit/

Now, most people will think that Wonko is hypercritical (as always) and a general nuisance (as often happens) - and they would be *mostly* right ;) - but I would like unbiased (just for a change) comments on the opportunity of this:
http://ethisphere.co...ys-that-matter/

Even without needing to read the whole page, this snippet should be enough:

Criteria:

The following nine criteria were used in determining the list of winning attorneys:

• Recognized expertise
  • Peer/client endorsements
  • High-profile litigation
  • Number of cases won
  • High-profile clients
  • Public service
  • Legal community engagement
  • Academic involvement
  • Other awards and recognitions

(please note how NO criteria is actually given, only a list of the characteristics/features that supposedly were chosen to attribute in an undisclosed way some kind of "points", particularly and just as an example Wonko is horrified :hyper: by the inclusion of items #2, #3, #4, #5 AND #9 that are more or less the perfect "starter kit" for any self-referencing system :angry7: )

And, immediately after:

What does it take to be recognized as an “Attorney Who Matters” in ethics and compliance? Below is a selection of interviews Ethisphere had with a number of this year’s winners.

(bolding/underlining is mine)

The number, for the record is actually 5 (five).

An opinion on the actual relevance of a question like:

How did you end up choosing your field of work?

is left as an exercise to the reader. :smiling9:

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yep, those guys write some serious pearls of wisdom.

I personally enjoyed this one:

This is a positive sign to us, as it indicates that ethics is becoming a serious issue around the world, and foreign companies are more frequently developing best-in-class ethics and compliance programs than in prior years.

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-named-as-one-of-worlds-most-ethical-companies/

Should I understand from this sentence that companies around the world don't value ethics as much as those located in the US?

T-Mobile USA is also on the list and I can testify that they follow best-in-class ethics. For example, when I got a phone number from their carrier, not only had the same number been assigned to someone else recently (providing me with plenty of calls from strangers), as they also charged me money for each SMS that I received on my phone.

No other countries seem to be allowing such measure but for some companies this seems to be *ethical*.

Glad to hear that other companies around the world are also catching up to the Ethisphere definition of ethics.

:)

#6 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

You sir Wonko, are an artist :whistling:

how much time do you take before pressing the "post" button? :) Good luck Nuno... :smiling9:

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

I personally enjoyed this one:

This is a positive sign to us, as it indicates that ethics is becoming a serious issue around the world, and foreign companies are more frequently developing best-in-class ethics and compliance programs than in prior years.

Should I understand from this sentence that companies around the world don't value ethics as much as those located in the US?

Naah, to use the translation trick you need a "longer snippet", let's try with the "full" quote:
http://www.winrumors...ical-companies/

ORIGINAL:

We also had more foreign-based companies recognized than ever before. This is a positive sign to us, as it indicates that ethics is becoming a serious issue around the world, and foreign companies are more frequently developing best-in-class ethics and compliance programs than in prior years. So far we have received increasing numbers of WME nominations every year, and we hope to keep that trend for the 2012 World’s Most Ethical Companies recognition, too.

INTERMEDIATE TRANSLATION:

A number of new morons willng to sponsor us, one way or the other, came to us from abroad. This is good for us, as it indicates that our babbling about ethics can catch a few more people's attention even outside the US and that not only in the US gullible executives falling for this exist, and that we finally managed to convince quite a few more foreign companies to send money. The self-referencing model starts finally working and we get more WME nominations every year, and we hope that this bonanza will not end abruptly any soon.

LAYMAN'S TRANSLATION:

We made more money than last year, thank godness the new generation of foreign executives has finally become as gullible as our inland ones and we are confident to make even more money from them next year.

OT, but not much, they also made it to Reuters :frusty: :
http://www.reuters.c...114308920110315
from which a couple more interesting data can be extracted, basically:

released its fifth annual ranking of the world's most ethical large companies

Ethisphere valued more than 3,000 companies with at least $50 million in annual revenue.

(as usual, bolding is mine)

Let's see if we can find any correlation :) with:
http://www.forbes.co...th/billionaires
http://blogs.forbes....nside-the-list/

Two differences strike at first sight:

• Although the criteria is MUCH more straightforward (the one valued as having the most money makes it :smiling9: ), an actual note on methodology is given (though a bit vaguely):

A note on methodology:
    More than 50 reporters in 13 countries worked on compiling the list this year, valuing individuals’ public holdings, private companies, real estate, yachts, art and cash. Net worths were locked in using stock prices and exchange rates from Feb. 14.

• Forbes has a bit more experience on this:

This 25th year of tracking global wealth was one to remember.

You can say whatever you want about Forbes :hyper:, but they do know how to write:
http://www.forbes.co...ethisphere.html

The math is however a bit perplexing, unless I am mistaken I have counted in the drop-down box 55 countries.
More than 50 means 51.
1210/51=23.725
55/13=4.231

Let's say that on average each reporter traveled to 4 different countries and did a minimum of research on 24 people, let's say one a day + 1.5 days/travel or whatever, each reporter worked 24+4*1.5=a nice, round 30 days for this rating, or 51*30*8=12,240 hours were used to simply rate 1,210 people, or 10 hours/each.

On the other side we have:
"Ethisphere reviewed nominations from companies in more than 100 countries"
"Nearly 3,000 companies were nominated--or nominated themselves--to be considered this year."
The procedure is on one hand much simplified (a questionnaire ;)), but on the other fairly complex:

Ethisphere's proprietary rating system, which it calls the Ethics Quotient, is based on a series of multiple-choice questions in a survey that is designed to capture a company's performance in an objective and standardized way. The winnowing process includes reviewing codes of ethics and litigation and regulatory infraction histories; evaluating investment in innovation and sustainable business practices; looking at activities designed to improve corporate citizenship; and studying nominations from senior executives, industry peers, suppliers and customers.

"Based on the information in that survey, Ethisphere verifies responses before a final score is provided," says Alex Brigham, executive director of the Ethisphere Institute. "Some of the information is easily verified and publicly available, and other times we request that companies send us non-public information to validate responses. This could include training policies, whistle-blower programs, internal tone-from-the-top communications and so forth."

Once the pool is culled down to a few hundred, Ethisphere cross-checks it against governance lists from organizations including GovernanceMetricsInternational and FTSE for Good. Any company that has had significant legal trouble over the past five years is dropped. Companies that focus on alcohol, tobacco or firearms also get the boot.

More than 100 means 101.
Nearly 3,000 means 2,999.
a few hundred means 440.
110 in the list means 110.
2 hours/questionnaire for basic info.
1 hours/nomination for reviewing codes of ethics
1 hours/nomination for reviewing regulatory infraction histories
1 hours/nomination for evaluating investment in innovation and sustainable business practices
1 hours/nomination for looking at activities designed to improve corporate citizenship
2 hours/nomination to verify responses (easily verified and publicly available)
1 hour/nomination to verify responses (training policies, whistle-blower programs, internal tone-from-the-top communications and so forth)
0.1 hour/nomination to cull down to a few hundreds
9.1 hours * 2,999=27,290 hours
addditional time for translations and clarifications/whatever, 101 countries should mean something like 20 different languages at least, and I doubt that everything needed to verify is available in English, let's say 5%of the above: 0.05*27,290=1.364,50
We are now in the few hundreds range, i.e. 440 "elected"
1 hour/elected to cross-checks it against governance lists from organizations including GovernanceMetricsInternational and FTSE for Good
20 hours/elected to verify significant legal trouble over the past five years ;) (4 hours/year, including judging the significance of the trouble)
0.5 hour/elected to verify focus on alcohol, tobacco or firearms
21.5 hour * 440 = 9,460 hours
Final reduction to 110 "Finalists" by applying "Ethics Quotient", do the sorting, proofread, and what not:
2 hours/finalist
2 hours * 110=220 hours
27,290+1.364,50+9,460+220=38,334.5

38,334.5/2,999=12,78 hours/application
or
38,334.5/110=348,49 hours/Finalist

In any case, assuming that the same 50 people (but this time not anymore "reporters" but basically "ethic experts", "legal experts", "accounting experts") worked on this project:
38,334.5/50=766,50 hours/expert or if you prefer 766,50/160=4.75 months/expert

:whistling:

;)
Wonko

#8 Feral

Feral
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

Downloaded and tried IE9,
didnt like that it kept freezing up when I used google search box list...so I uninstalled and have gone back to IE8, other than that it looks OK.

Feral

#9 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:04 AM

I have no idea why people still use IEx :). Every bad EXE file we run (which has virus etc) or every USBs we insert with shell service enabled, puts something inside iexplore.exe and explorer.exe (basically they target everyday apps)...

Given my current paranoid nature, (no OSes on hard disk) and restart wiping system, I've got portable Opera (aka offically Opera USB :( ) with TEMP, Cache, etc set to partition.

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

I have no idea why people still use IEx

It is included with Windows and they provide support for it. For second, it integrates better with ActiveX than no other. (no wonder there..)

If you' need to work with Sharepoint inside an organization, you can only do it right with IE. Personally, I've stopped using it quite some time ago.

;)

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Personally, I've stopped using it quite some time ago.

The organization, you mean? ;)

:angry7:

:blink:
Wonko

#12 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

I've kept IE rendering engine but browser related files are long deleted :mellow:

Anyhow, speaking of IE + integration + activeX, I've an age old problem (not sure what all core stuff i removed but...) I wanted to start webView on folder. I've already designed folder.HTT and created batch script to start webView (which works on normal xp installation) but some things are messed up (default xp's ie6 rendering engine)

one has to put folder.htt in c:\windows\web\custom folder (or change the script below)

@echo off

IF NOT EXIST DESKTOP.INI GOTO ERROR

IF "%1"=="" SET F=DESKTOP.INI

IF NOT "%1"=="" SET F=%1

if "%os%"=="Windows_NT" goto NTcheck

if "%os%"=="Windows NT" goto NTcheck

if not "%os%"=="Windows_NT" goto 9xCheck

:OK

attrib -r -h -s -a desktop.ini

ECHO.>>%F%

echo [ExtShellFolderViews]>>%F%

echo {5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}=>>%F%

echo {5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}>>%F%

echo.>>%F%

echo [{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]>>%F%

echo PersistMoniker=file://C:\WINDOWS\WEB\Custom\Folder.htt>>%F%

echo.>>%F%

echo [{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]>>%F%

echo IconArea_Image=C:\WINDOWS\Web\Custom\RightBack.png>>%F%

echo old.IconArea_Text=0x00808080>>%F%

echo.>>%F%

echo [.ShellClassInfo]>>%F%

echo InfoTip=Please edit you folder's tip by editing desktop.ini...>>%F%

echo ConfirmFileOp=1>>%F%

attrib +r +h +s +a desktop.ini

GOTO EXIT

:NTCheck

FIND /I "Custom" .\Desktop.ini

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO OK

CLS

ECHO YOU ALREADY RAN THIS FILE HERE!! DELETE DESKTOP.INI DO EVERYTHING FROM BEGINING!

pause>nul

GOTO EXIT

:ERROR

Echo Right click folder, click "Customize this folder", change icon to anything (to create desktop.ini)

echo.

echo After performing above steps, run this file again :confused1:

pause>nul

:exit

cls

exit

Also does anyone know of cool FOLDER.HTT with modern design? XP compatible? :mellow:

#13 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

The organization, you mean?

Pardon, but I'm not understanding what you mean. Perhaps I should rephrase better my last comment.

Personally, I don't use IE at my personal machines.

Under a professional work context, I have to (forcefully) use IE to work with Sharepoint services.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Pardon, but I'm not understanding what you mean. Perhaps I should rephrase better my last comment.

Personally, I don't use IE at my personal machines.

Under a professional work context, I have to (forcefully) use IE to work with Sharepoint services.

Rule #12 :mellow: , just kidding... :confused1:

You know, like:

If you' need to work with Sharepoint inside an organization, you can only do it right with IE. Personally, I've stopped using it quite some time ago.

The organization, you mean? :mellow:

Humour, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... :ph34r:

:ph34r:
Wonko

#15 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Sorry, I still don't get the joke. I read and read but no dice.. :confused1:

#16 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Wonko, why do you keep saying you're not the moderator? :ph34r: funny, i checked THIS list while i was checking out the site layout... so? am I you believe you honestly don't know? that you can kill :mellow: someone? both your nicks exist there... ;)

Anyhow, this place is way different then usual forums where fear is compulsory... makes this place very evolved. :ph34r: (i think)

edit: maybe your decision to NOT moderate makes you think you're automatic "user"? Maybe you'll use your hidden sword someday? :mellow:

phew... now my self's wonko says "non of your business" :confused1: so... i'm zipping.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

Sure it is None of Your Business, but there is nothing to hide :mellow: and you seemingly show - for the nosy little child you are - a surprising lack of ability (or more likely determination) in detective work :confused1:.
Basic knowledge:
  • A Board Administrator is different from a Board Moderator.
  • Capability to read numbers and do some basic math

You know, like:
Spoiler

jaclaz resigned from being board Admin.

Then, as clearly explained, and public since day 0:
http://reboot.pro/10068/
since the actual nick/account still mantained privileges he didn't want anymore, he also left it and NEVER used it to do ANY Moderation through it since then (Christmas 2009).

Typically was_jaclaz logs in once a month or maybe every two months to check if anyone missing the above PMed him.

Later Nuno :ph34r: - without asking Wonko the Sane first - promoted him (Wonko the Sane) to Mod status for the Grub4dos Forum only. That's 1 (one)

Since Wonko the Sane wasn't asked about the above appointment and never actually accepted it, he simply and plainly NEVER exercised ANY action, of ANY kind, that required Mod status in the mentioned Grub4dos Forum.

These news are also not at all news nor private, as they were posted openly, example:
http://reboot.pro/13205/
http://reboot.pro/13205/page__st__37

At a later time, a new sub-forum "Tutorials" was created inside the Grub4dos one, and evidently inherited the privileges of it's parent. That's 1 (one)

Now, try solving the following math problem:

1+1=x

and see how the value of x compares with what you can actually read here:
http://reboot.pro/in...tats&do=leaders

Try doing some math on the number of Forum other people can moderate, knowing that any ".script developer" on this board also gets Mod authority, and try solving the following problems:
  • Which is the total number of Forums on this Board?
  • How come that different Mods can have as low as 1 Forum assigned to them and others can have even more than 40 times that?
  • How come that was_jaclaz has 13 assigned?

@Nuno
I am sorry, but humour (or failed attempts at it :mellow:) cannot be explained, it would simply be NOT funny. :ph34r:

;)
Wonko

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

@Nuno
I am sorry, but humour (or failed attempts at it ) cannot be explained, it would simply be NOT funny.

Very true.

Since Wonko the Sane wasn't asked about the above appointment and never actually accepted it, he simply and plainly NEVER exercised ANY action, of ANY kind, that required Mod status in the mentioned Grub4dos Forum.

Who else would you suggest to fill your (un)position as mod on the grub4dos?

You got moderator rights right after complaining so hard about my changes of the pinned topics onto the tutorials sub section. If it (really) upsets you, I will remove the moderation skills completely.

:confused1:

#19 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

Very true.

You got moderator rights right after complaining so hard about my changes of the pinned topics onto the tutorials sub section. If it (really) upsets you, I will remove the moderation skills completely.

Oh... I thought you were going to say "Even though you've resigned, to respect you (or should you ever need it,) you can anytime resume Spiderman work at will" :happy_dance: :rofl:

Posted ImagePosted Image

@Wonko: Anyhow, like i said earlier... you're still more "evolved" admin (to me) Nuno can keep the title :clap:

BTW: You can't call me nosy little child, specially when you know... I'm just curious :mellow:

Posted Image "Curious Race" :P

This post says

Wonko has NO control whatever on the board, it's members, the moderating team and/or the administrators.

...and I thought that Sardu guy (aka Davide something) probably looked up in the mod-list (saw PscEx and you) and felt abused by moderator/admin staff? :rofl: also possibly decided to leave then to live with fear? again, i'm just curious (you can make it sound crazy with different names)

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

NO particular suggestion, I'm afraid, but one of the most active and helping guys in there is good ol' steve6375 :clap:.

I doesn't upset me at all :) it's just L making a fuss about every little thing that he doesn't completely understand (mainly because he is too d@mn lazy to research about it) and though it is definitely NHB he goes on and on on this specific theme of "relationships" among members, Admins and Mods.

For the record, Davide Costa is really nice guy, he simply missed a part of the story, and due to the unusual form of pscEx intervention partially misundertood it.

The real base issue is about Rule #1.

The Rule is there but Nuno (owner of the board and main Admin :worship: ) says from time to time that it is not really a strict one or that exceptions can be made or whatever. :w00t:

Davide, being as said a nice guy and willing to comply fully with the Rules, wasn't fully aware of the (as it seems by latest official take on it by Nuno) general exception awarded to Hiren's, and took my intervention (that as you may verify is NOT connected with Rules) and the atypical intervention by pscEx (as personal opinion of an Administrator, most probably - but of course only pscEx can confirm or deny this - aimed more as a general consideration than anything else) as a direct critic to his work or his decision to support Hiren's in SARDU (which BOTH were absolutely NOT).

Most probably I contributed "by omission" :mellow: .

Since member Wonko the Sane won't have anything to do with Xboot and member shamurshamur, he would never make his "WAREZ is EVIL" kind of remarks about the support Xboot also has for Hiren's, as he has decided that it's a SEP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem

Anyway there is a clear way out from this kind of issues by actually CHANGING the way Rule #1 is worded and/or add a corollary about their "intended by the boss actual interpretation".

This would probably stop this kind of doubts/issues, whilst of course won't stop member Wonko the Sane from expressing his personal opinion on the topic :rofl: .

BTW: You can't call me nosy little child, specially when you know... I'm just curious :mellow:

Well, no. I can allright :) , it's to be intended as an affectionate definition for the interest you show in NYB things.
You did (and do) seem like when three to five children are in the WHY period and hassle everyone to know about Life, the Universe and Everything, this is not at all a problem:
http://www.essortmen...ment-50767.html

Early childhood is the developmental period that extends from the end of infancy to about five to six years; sometimes the period is called the preschool years. During this time young children learn to become more self-sufficient and to care for themselves, they develop school readiness skills (following instructions, identifying letters), and they spend many hours in play and with peers. First grade typically marks the end of this period.

quite the opposite :happy_dance: , it is a clear sign of evolution and the only way to learn new things :).
BUT it is tiresome ..... :( (BTW, and OT :P, Nuno will soon learn this the hard way with Michael :rofl:)

Anyway we can negotiate something that suits you more, what about :unsure::

sassy kid, with an alert and questioning mind

Wonko

#21 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

NO particular suggestion, I'm afraid, but one of the most active and helping guys in there is good ol' steve6375 :clap:.

I doesn't upset me at all :) it's just L making a fuss about every little thing that he doesn't completely understand (mainly because he is too d@mn lazy to research about it) and though it is definitely NHB he goes on and on on this specific theme of "relationships" among members, Admins and Mods.

For the record, Davide Costa is really nice guy, he simply missed a part of the story, and due to the unusual form of pscEx intervention partially misundertood it.

The real base issue is about Rule #1.

The Rule is there but Nuno (owner of the board and main Admin :w00t: ) says from time to time that it is not really a strict one or that exceptions can be made or whatever. :cheers:

Davide, being as said a nice guy and willing to comply fully with the Rules, wasn't fully aware of the (as it seems by latest official take on it by Nuno) general exception awarded to Hiren's, and took my intervention (that as you may verify is NOT connected with Rules) and the atypical intervention by pscEx (as personal opinion of an Administrator, most probably - but of course only pscEx can confirm or deny this - aimed more as a general consideration than anything else) as a direct critic to his work or his decision to support Hiren's in SARDU (which BOTH were absolutely NOT).

Most probably I contributed "by omission" :P .

Since member Wonko the Sane won't have anything to do with Xboot and member shamurshamur, he would never make his "WAREZ is EVIL" kind of remarks about the support Xboot also has for Hiren's, as he has decided that it's a SEP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem

Anyway there is a clear way out from this kind of issues by actually CHANGING the way Rule #1 is worded and/or add a corollary about their "intended by the boss actual interpretation".

This would probably stop this kind of doubts/issues, whilst of course won't stop member Wonko the Sane from expressing his personal opinion on the topic :rofl: .

Well, no. I can allright :mellow: , it's to be intended as an affectionate definition for the interest you show in NYB things.
You did (and do) seem like when three to five children are in the WHY period and hassle everyone to know about Life, the Universe and Everything, this is not at all a problem:
http://www.essortmen...ment-50767.html

quite the opposite :happy_dance: , it is a clear sign of evolution and the only way to learn new things :mellow:.
BUT it is tiresome ..... :worship: (BTW, and OT :rofl:, Nuno will soon learn this the hard way with Michael :))

Anyway we can negotiate something that suits you more, what about :(:

Wonko

Asking questions to fix something cannot be "fuss" even though you awarded me "sassy kid, with an alert and questioning mind". If Davide Costa, as you put it "a nice guy" (which i already know) decided to leave, shouldn't there be some fuss? The way i read it, You and PscEx said something (which imho is not that serious) but all i was interested in was... to defuse the situation (obviously i failed) :unsure: At most, after calling him coward he did return to the thread...

You're right about me being lazy to do research, no shame to admit in there... :)

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

At most, after calling him coward he did return to the thread...

Well :clap:, I already told you privately how IMNSHO calling other members names is - besides against common netiquette and Rule #7 - not the best way to make friends.

Whilst I can understand how you do it so only to provoke a reaction, most people won't, and it does anyway look like VERY UNpolite, expecially when you do so in a NYB topic.

You also have to deal with the fact that a number of members have NOT good familiarity with English and due to the extreme shortness of most of your posts, not everyone is likely to fully understand the subtleties of the language and your otherwise playful attitude.

One of the greatest risks on this kind of international boards (English based) is that miscommunication can occur so everyone, and EXPECIALLY the native English speaking ones should take double care to make sure that what they write cannot be mistaken, of course, being (possibly) from the U.S. you don't count as "native English speaking" :happy_dance:, but like all our overseas friends you fall in the "nearly English native speaking" category which is also invited to be careful.

JFYI:
http://www.avolites....jokes/queen.htm

Additionally, ALWAYS remember that UNFORTUNATELY :rofl: not everyone fully complies with Rule #12, the most important one, again IMNSHO.

Wonko

#23 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Well :clap:, I already told you privately how IMNSHO calling other members names is - besides against common netiquette and Rule #7 - not the best way to make friends.
:mellow:
Wonko

I thought, If all say "please don't go, please don't go" where is the fun in that? :) also, the fire that was inside davide would have remained inside... This way, it is all out now :rofl:

In a way he knows i'm not a Sardu user (so he can continue to think i'm a bad and cherish fans, well wishers etc by knowing the difference) :P

edit: technically there was also a coward condition, if he didn't respond or left without even trying fix (aka run away) only then he was coward. Anyways, my bad doing can be changed anytime, who knows, depending upon his current state and continued sardu support, i may someday try it? can possibly say something pleasant :happy_dance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users