#1 Michael Pietroforte

Michael Pietroforte

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 660 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

I want to be sure to include all features that have a fair chance of receiving a significant number of votes in this Windows 8 poll. So I created a brainstorming list with all possible enhancements I could think of. Some of you have already mentioned your wishes in previous posts in my Windows 8 series. I included them in a short version in this post. (Let me know if I missed something.)

If you have a blog, you can just copy my list here and ask your readers on your site. If there is enough interest, we could run the final poll on multiple blogs simultaneously by using an online poll service. I suppose this increases the chance that someone at Microsoft will take a look at the results. If you are interested in running this poll on your blog, please contact me.

If you have ideas for additional features that should be on this list, please post a comment below or send me message.

… read more of What are your wishes for Windows 8? The ultimate Windows 8 poll

Related

Copyright © 2006-2010, 4sysops, Digital fingerprint: 3db371642e7c3f4fe3ee9d5cf7666eb0

View the full article

#2 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

* $49 price for anything named Ultimate for 32bit and 64 bit
* NO MORE FREAKING 25 CHARACTER LICENSE STRINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* Give up the the stupid memory and disk space license restrictions, take it to the limit for all versions and just add REAL features for "nicer" packages.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

I happen to have had a look at a leaked document from MS casually addressing exactly your concerns:

* $49 price for anything named Ultimate for 32bit and 64 bit

There won't be anymore an "Ultimate" version, there will be an enhanced "Ultimate0" (ultimatezero, UZ for friends :thumbup:) that will retail for $490

* NO MORE FREAKING 25 CHARACTER LICENSE STRINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, we are already in an advanced phase of testing our new license validation method, direct analysis of your DNA, basically the new enhanced keyboard will have a new key it will replace the "Windows" one), with a large, red W on it.
Whenever you access the PC, you need to press this special key, a small needle will prick your finger taking a sample of your blood that will be analyzed and confirm the validity of your license. (you do understand the reason for the large red W on it, don't you?)

* Give up the the stupid memory and disk space license restrictions, take it to the limit for all versions and just add REAL features for "nicer" packages.

There won't anymore any license limit related to memory or disk space, and we will add a deluxe version of Minesweeper AND an enhanced "Hearts". :cheers:
The new licensing policy that will be implemented will link license price to number of key pressed as this will favour a proportional payment to the use you actually make of OUR Operating System, all you have to do on first install is to send us an irrevocable authorization to draw money perpetually from your bank account, and you do not have to worry, everything will be processed automatically and safely by the local OS and our secire servers, all you will have to do is to replenish periodically the account.

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

ahah.. this just keeps getting better.

I just wish Windows 8 brings world peace and a better life for everyone. Otherwise, I won't be doing anything more with Win8 than what I've already been doing over the past 10 years.

(except if they do release an even better version of hearts, that would be nice)

:thumbup:

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

A search function that does what I want! i.e. search for file extensions or partial file names only, only search inside a file for a string if I tell it to do so, is very quick.

Proper, easy support for having OS, swapfile and hyberfile on fast SSD and rest (My docs), on another 'spinny-thing' drive.

Encourage 'portable apps' that do not add to the OS or Registry so can be kept anywhere and work when run on any system - i.e. do not need to be installed.

Include free app development IDE to enable people to write their own apps.

Multiple Desktops.

#6 ProtocolX

ProtocolX
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Processor:Intel Pentium 4 3400 Mhz Prescott SSE3 HT x2 Motherboard: ASUS P4P800-E deluxe Memory: 3GB Corsair dual channel Video: ATI ASUS AH3650 Silent HDMI 512MB AGP Case: Chieftec Bigtower Install: Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.8 & iGenius Snow 10.6.3!! Also: HP Compaq 6710b 15 inch 4GB memory and a Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2GB memory..Snow Leopard 10.6.2 running also Windows Ultimate x64 www.osx86.nl
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

I wish that Windows 8 will get rid of the stupid drive letter system. (C: etc)

This causes to many problems.. Broken shortcut's etc. :cheers:

2nd wish is that they expand the maximum of the 64 characters system. :thumbup:

But I think this both wishes are not gonna be realized, I'm afraid.... :cheers:

#7 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

hehe if someone asked me, I would say cut the size! XP's tweaked, optimized install takes below 1GB and here we are with 12GB install of Win7 (aka WinME II) :cheers:

edit: and component selection during OS install would be nice (the good old w9x days :cheers: )

edit: and LEAST number of running processes in Process Explorer (not that disgusting Task Manager)

editx: then again, its never going to happen... as long as Steve BallHEAD remains and Bill Gates not reinstated :thumbup:

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

I agree with most of those wishes.

Would be nice to see Windows working that way some day.. :thumbup:

Don't know if it's going to be on incarnation 8.

#9 reti

reti

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

• The return of software RAID 0
  • An empty space defrag for SSD
  • Drive letters are stupid, just give them names.
  • Get rid of stupid services like readyboost and superfetch. People have SSD now.
  • Only 64 bit so software companies NEED to make 64-bit software.
  • Pre-compiled optimised kernels for different cpu's. AMD/INTEL
  • Windows needs only 1 version, with performance benchmark to run on every pc.(automatic selection)
  • Winbuilder integration to make boot-usb sticks YEAH RIGHT

#10 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Just drop this Win32 nonsence and use OS/2. Shouldn't hurt much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users