12 replies to this topic

#1 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

Winbuilder 080 (latest stable build) causes a series of errors and refuses to build. This is under windows 7 x64 with an SSD drive, using waik and windows 7 x86 as source, to build win7 rescue cd using recommended downloads.
1. wiminfo.exe stopped.
2. Mount Win7 boot.wim files with imagex.exe returned with 2
3. Error: Please run PreConfig script. Exiting...
4. Access violation at address 004041F2 in module 'WinBuilder.exe'. Read of address 3F0028E8: [Run,%API%,NotConfigured]

Log file is attached.

Attached Files

#2 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Here's something interesting: I can't delete the "Temp" folder under my winbuilder directory. explorer locks up completely. put this down as a serious bug. also how do i delete it?

#3 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

concerning the access violation: it is known and will be fixed in the next wb-version. As workaround you can use psc's project nativeEx_win7, there it does not occur cause of a fix ... there are some posts about this in the win7rescuepe-thread and afaik 2 or more threads in the win7pe-section

concerning the temp folder: I had no problems using total commander in admin mode ... you can also try lockhunter (http://lockhunter.com/)

#4 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

thanks but lockhunter gave up and said it couldn't delete temp.
It's a mess. first wimserve process had a lock, so I got rid of that. Then there were files with names too long for windows, but those were eliminated. Then there were files that didn't exist on deletion but still were somehow there preventing the folder from getting eliminated. So that might be tripping up lockhunter or something else.

The exact windows error on delete is: "80070490 Element not found."
It occurs with many files, giving the name of the filename that is "not found."

as far as nativeex_win7, thanks but I'd rather not. the setup instructions I'm following (terabyte image for windows) require me to stick with winbuilder rescue and I don't want to try to figure out how to use an entirely different setup at this point.

#5 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

as far as nativeex_win7, thanks but I'd rather not. the setup instructions I'm following (terabyte image for windows) require me to stick with winbuilder rescue and I don't want to try to figure out how to use an entirely different setup at this point.

nativeEx uses win7rescuepe as base. The major difference is that it does not use waik. Joshua was absent for a long while therefore win7rescuepe is not as actual as nativeEx (concerning a few bugs) ... if you use nativeEx you have to have a full configured win7rescuepe

#6 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

ok so then I can't use nativeEx anyway because I can't create the winbuilder win7rescuepe in the first place? or maybe I can, i'll see--I'm still loathe to deviate from the setup instructions given.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the temp folder? It will not delete the files there with any program. It gives "element not found" (80070490) errors for each of the files.

#7 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

Any suggestions on getting rid of the temp folder? It will not delete the files there with any program. It gives "element not found" (80070490) errors for each of the files.

start a linux live cd and delete the folder ...
or what helped for me in the past: rename the folder an after a reboot I was able to delete the folder

#8 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Thanks patsch. renaming the folder and then rebooting and then deleting worked (without having to resort to linux). It turns out all the files were not real files but symbolic links (L attribute) and on all of them the target was missing.

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

When you have nativeEx_Win7 installed, navigate to Build > ManageWimsEx and clck "Start cleanMountEx".-

Maybe it helps you to delete the undeletable contents.

Peter

#10 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

thanks, that tool doesn't give any options to do anything because "wimserv.exe is not running"

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Wimserv.exe is only running when a wim is mounted.

The troubles you have had are propably caused by rebooting when a wim is mounted.

After that the directory cannot be deleted.

But you can "remount" and then "unmount", which deletes the old mount directory.

Peter

#12 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

not sure how I'd "remount" and "unmount" (this is windows). Also, the problems began before rebooting. However, I already deleted the problem folder already using patsch's instructions.

Here are the new problems preventing nativeEx_Win7 this time from building:
1. note: it doesn't like using an x86 win 7 dvd, so I switched to a x64 win7 install dvd. (i'm running on x64 windows).

2. I get this cmd.exe box:
WimCaptEx Program version 4.1.1
Copyright © 2009, 2010 Peter Schlang
Found wimgapi.dll version 6.1.7600.16385
Found wimserv.exe version 6.1.7600.16385
wimmount service is detected
Found wimmount.sys version 6.1.7600.16385
WimCaptEx.exe -A:A -W:G:\sources\Install.wim -I:4 -D:C:\Winbuilder\Workbench\nat
iveEx_Win7\Cache\4I4en9617600 -P -T:C:\Winbuilder\Temp\nativeEx_Win7
10: Error applying image

Error occurred
Press <Return> to finish ...

3. also popus up a mysterious "[80] abstract error" message box.

4. re the manage wims tool: just stops midway in the progress bar and the other dialog box says wimserve is not running, so that is not too useful. it has all the buttons greyed out though it does list the wims.

thanks.

#13 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

ok, nativeEx_Win7 did build the iso, so I have to test it now.

1. The problem seems to have been that I didn't run "install" in archtoolsex for the first option (wimgapi.dll). Selecting the second option, "wimmount.sys / wimserv.exe" just creates about 10 errors in a row in the log. So I ended up unselecting it and then pressing install again with only wimgapi.dll.

2. There is still the mentioned issue with the manage wims tools--appears to hang and all boxes are greyed out since wimserv is not installed.

3. probably the default options should be rethought: shouldn't default to usb install or to vmware or to record to cd. should default only to creating an iso.

4. should I assume that nativeEx_Win7 replaces the need to check and download or use win7rescuepe project (which didn't work, as per first post)? should authors of install instructions be advised to use nativeEx_Win7 instead, and skip the waik download (I assume not needed any more?).

5. can't use the x86 win 7 dvd install from x64; I hope that doesn't create an issue with the apps I installed, will check.

6. see attached log: some missing files errors--it looks like nativeExwin7 can't find some os networking related files on the win 7 x64 dvd.

7. update: I can't boot the resulting iso. See new thread:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=11034
UPDATE: issue mainly resolved in that thread, though testing required. closing this thread.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users