New subforum wanted

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

Because the above subforum does not exist yet, I ask here:

Currently there is a small boxing discussion with Jaclaz Wonko about Firefox.

While I since long time use Firefox as alternity to IE, he suggests, rather that to use a "good" browser like Opera.

Because I do not know Opera at all, I want to ask the community about comparison between Firefox and Opera.

Maybe this topic is too 'Off-Bootland' and it seems not to be necessary to create the titled sub forum.

Peter

#2 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Because the above subforum does not exist yet, I ask here:

Currently there is a small boxing discussion with Jaclaz Wonko about Firefox.

While I since long time use Firefox as alternity to IE, he suggests, rather that to use a "good" browser like Opera.

Because I do not know Opera at all, I want to ask the community about comparison between Firefox and Opera.

Maybe this topic is too 'Off-Bootland' and it seems not to be necessary to create the titled sub forum.

Peter

I think it all depends on what you like to use. Opera is a very good fast browser, but I prefer Firefox for the extensions. I think the "easy" way to see what you like is to try it for a week.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

For the record, there is NO discussion with Wonko about Firefox.

Wonko uses Opera.
(last character in the above sentence is a dot, or full stop or period)

Since Wonko is described as "the Sane" there is no doubt that he uses Opera because he thinks it to be the best browser available, but Wonko never said nor will ever say that any browser is better than another one (mainly because he doesn't care at all about what browser anyone else is using).

Wonko has used all Opera versions since 3.62 and whenever a new beta or experimental or even final release came out he has experienced some smaller or bigger glitches.

Notwithstanding the above, Wonko never spammed any board with multiple posts whining about the above or desperately seeking for a solution for his - at the time current - install of Opera.

Wonko is quite frankly surprised that a similar minor glitch in Firefox 3.6 can provoke such a reaction from an otherwise rational and knowledgeable member of the board.

Wonko talked, whoever wanted to listen should have done so.

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

;)

And can Wonko give a hint, why Opera is the best browser (that means implicitelly: better than Firefox)?

If Wonko says "Yes", my beg to Wonko for a favour:

Please, explain just after your "Yes". That saves me the time to post again to ask (and avoids at least one unnecessary post here :cheers:) .

Peter ;)

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Wonko needs not to explan his reasons.

You can only accept his suggestions or refuse them, the latter meaning that his suggestions are nonetheless right and you are wrong.

He is the Sane.

;)

Seriously, I simply find Opera normally faster than other browsers, smaller in size, and overall simpler to setup, though a number of settings/tweaks need some time to get accustomed to, properly understood, etc.

It also includes a nice e-mail client, M2, which I personally love.

But my views are not necessarily that of the majority or even those of a consisting minority, since the current reports on browsers place Opera
http://www.w3schools...wsers_stats.asp
as last with a mere 2.2% usage (a startling number :cheers:, knowing that the Sanes are less than 1% of population ;))

Old news:
http://www.howtocrea...owserSpeed.html
Newer news:
http://lifehacker.co...rivate-browsing
http://www.betanews....peed/1251301410

Firefox from my experience is however an excellent browser, with a myriad of features and plug-ins that I simply do not need/use, but that I do understand to be appealing for a number of people.

Really no need to start another IE vs. Firefox, Firefox vs. Opera, Godzilla vs. Dracula, Draculs vs. Hulk, Hulk vs. Mickey Mouse kind of thread, there are so many of them around that it would represent a further waste of resources for anyone involved.

The right suggestion is the one by homes32, try it, it can be uninstalled allright, it won't occupy much disk space, and you can use it untill Firefox 3.6 has been fixed on the known minor glitches. (but you may find different ones in Opera :cheers:)

Wonko

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

I think it all depends on what you like to use.

;)

I think the "easy" way to see what you like is to try it for a week.

Opera is a very good fast browser, but I prefer Firefox for the extensions.

Hehe, nearly same here,
I use Opera to browse internet for various reasons (For the way I use or like,best browser on net, since v3.36)
I sometimes tend to use FF to open .html files
I use Maxthon to open my hotmail account through msn messenger.
I rarely use Internet Explorer for some stupid (mostly Turkish) websites that is stubborn to request IE.

;)

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

I use Opera to browse internet for various reasons (For the way I use or like,best browser on net, since v3.36)
I sometimes tend to use FF to open .html files
Can you at least you explain:
Why is Opera the best?
Why in spite of that you sometimes use FF?

I use Maxthon to open my hotmail account through msn messenger.
Let me strike through as not relevant for the question
I rarely use Internet Explorer for some stupid (mostly Turkish) websites that is stubborn to request IE.
As every Billy dependend user ...

Thanks, Lancelot, and maybe you can additionally answer my question.

I'm really in doubt to go to Opera. But for me as black-and-white-painter "Go" is final. That will uninstall FF. I do not like mixtures.

Peter

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'm really in doubt to go to Opera. But for me as black-and-white-painter "Go" is final. That will uninstall FF. I do not like mixtures.

You should have learned by now that by mixing white and black you can have a whole range of greys. :cheers:

http://www.imdb.com/...h0001439/quotes

Spock, in this case, do yourself a favor: Put aside logic. Do what feels right.

and

It was logical to cultivate multiple options.

\\//

LLAP

;)

Wonko

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

I do not like mixtures.

I am pretty sure about being verry tidy about browser usage (but not fanatic at all :cheers:)

Why in spite of that you sometimes use FF?

Because winbuilder log files can crashs browsers when big log files opened. + when IE crashes it tends to make windows session react awkward too.
As a result:
I do not want my browse session (opera) end because of big wb logs,
or
I do not want my windows hang for a while because of IE crash with the reason of big wb logs.
Solution:
I associate html with ff as an insurance. Also opening html files with a seperate browser is more tidy for me.

ps: With being tidy, I was using maxthon for html open file, but because of the IE reason above I added +1 browser (ff) to my general usage. In future I may replace ff with a second opera that is associated to html files. As I wrote before, with being tidy I always split opening html files with browsing.

But for me as black-and-white-painter "Go" is final.

My previous explanation is black-and-white too. Shortly: If there is no specific reason to use another browser, I %99 use opera, because I like (love :cheers: ) it.

Black: I use opera to browse
White: I use ff to open html
Black: I use maxthon to open hotmail
White: I use IE for stupid websites

nothing mix or gray here. Only they are together.
Posted Image

Further, it is wise to have other browsers at hand keeping the optionality for in case situations.

Why is Opera the best?

Maybe it is maybe not, I wrote before, It is best for me. from previous post "(For the way I use or like,best browser on net, since v3.36)" (some of my reasons: + detailed and well organised options + settings and cache easly saved within its folder + always save previous session without any trouble + single window interface since v3.36 + nice single txt file that can be readable and easly backupable with notepad for bookmarks .........)

on the other hand,
my friend Blue_Life prefers FF, that means ff fits his way of usage more so ff is best for him.
and my cousen and his wife prefers IE because they get used to it from their begining of windows using so IE is best for them.

Some last words:
Using multi browsers for different goals or single browser for all tasks is all about the way you like or expectations. It is your decision to select the method and the tool (browser) to accomplish your goals.

For anyone who reach his goals with any browser, than everything fine. ;)

I think the "easy" way to see what you like is to try it for a week.

;)

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

Thanks, Lancelot, for the explanation.

I think it is worth to give Opera a trial.

I only am a bit disappointed about the necessarity we have (independent from our actual topic):

If you want to do task A, best is to use browser X
If you want to do task B, best is to use browser Y
If you want to do task C, best is to use browser z

But that's Billy or Mozilla, or Sun, or ...

Peter

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

the necessarity we have (independent from our actual topic)

well except hotmail or ie stupid website cases, I can use opera for all with knowing opera will never loose information even if it crashes ;) . Other things are all my preference :cheers:

An idea: maybe wb can provide no picture option to get less ram usage when opening html file, what you think ? (ps: as seen above, I do not need such an option, just an idea if you like)

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

An idea: maybe wb can provide no picture option to get less ram usage when opening html file, what you think ? (ps: as seen above, I do not need such an option, just an idea if you like)

(Fortunatelly) Not in my responsibility.
That is a question how the web server php is programmed.
On the first view I agree.
On the second view I would like to check what is lost then ...

Peter

#13 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

come on guys.. a new subforum to host a single discussion? ;)

Let's take it to the vote section to see how each sides manages to gather the most votes.. ;)

btw: I use firefox and chrome together to keep two separate accounts of gmail open at the same time.

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

Nuno,

You misunderstood my intention.

I wanted to put my 'offtopic' question of the first post into a suited forum, and originally not really in'site feedback'.
But there has been no actual suited forum where to put logically.

My suggestion was to create the 'offtopic subforum'
So next time, when somebody has a question which is not yet 'categorized', he will not post in in 'Community root' or 'Hello' or 'Site feedback' or ''Development' or 'Support' but in 'Offtopic'.

If you prefer to have a lot of offtopic posts in 'Community root' or 'Hello' or 'Site feedback' or ''Development' or 'Support' or ???, forget my suggestion.

That would really not make it easier to find and relate issues.

Peter

#15 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

@psc

Why not directly open (or move) your topic to
Boot Land > Groups > Community forum

this is all about a general, well known, Browser Community preferences with or without reasons (which are not need to be directly releated to boot-land , wb etc.) etc.....

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Reason is simply:

I (and I think a lot of other developers, too) look rarelly into 'Community' forum.

If somebody posts an urgent question there, maybe it is not seen by many members who could help

(Just about half an hour ago I suggested to put questions not in 'Hello', but in a suited forum)

Peter

BTW: I do not have any personal issues with the above mentioned post.

I only thought that such a new subforum could be helpful for others.

And as I already told Nuno, If not wanted, forget it. Any discussion is wasted time.

Peter

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

Reason is simply:

I (and I think a lot of other developers, too) look rarelly into 'Community' forum.

If somebody posts an urgent question there, maybe it is not seen by many members who could help

Well, that would mean that your issue about changing your default browser from FF to Opera is URGENT? :cheers:

If you and "a lot of other developers, too" don't look in some places, it doesn't seem to me logically like a valid reason to create a new place which you or "a lot of other developers, too" might "like" visiting. :cheers:

I am personally of the idea that a new sub-forum with a title like "Everything Else That Doesn't Fit In Any Other Forum" might be a good idea ;) but the right place where to put it seems actually the "Community forum".

;)

Wonko

#18 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

Sorry for late response, crazy busy day at work again ;)

Anyway, quick vote for Opera, I love Opera! Ever since I was forced away from IE6 (never understood the anti-IE6 hype, never got a virus or any other security issue with IE6, it worked fine until every web-site informed me I couldn't use it anymore ;) ). I tried most browsers, all were junk (including IE7-8) except FF, seemed good at first but every plug-in I tried caused problems (or just didn't work) and I kept getting annoying errors, 'web page you are trying to view is unavailable...' (or similar); this was obviously a glitch or incompatibility in FF because other browsers would open the same page fine. I think I was reluctant to switch to Opera because I didn't like the look (tabs were ugly and awkward to use) but then I discovered skins :cheers: , Opera offers many great skins and all work perfectly, my current fav is 'Vista'. Having used Opera exclusively for several months now, I can report nearly complete satisfaction; very fast, opens every page exactly as expected and no glitches to report. One annoyance is the way Opera handles Bookmarks, IE6 Favorites were easy to organize, copy/move, drag/drop etc. Not so easy with Opera but I'm finding workarounds and still better than IE7-8, FF etc. All in all a great browser! and works great in LiveXP too!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users