#1 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

This is my first time using the TFTPD32 server and I am having some issues.

Situation: I am trying to push a config file located on my PC root folder to a Linksys phone ATA device

Setup: both PC and ATA behind D-Link Router, which is behind DSL Modem

IP Info: D-Link Router IP: 192.168.0.1
PC IP: 192.1468.0.106
ATA IP: 192.168.0.107 (not shown on server interface)

In TFTPD32 settings, TFTP server and DHCP servers are checked; base directory is set to the location of the cfg file. Server Interface is automatically the computer IP address above; IP starting pool is set to the IP of the ATA device with a size pool of 10;boot file is the name of the file and Mask is same as router 255.255.255.0.
I notice that the PC is the only one that shows an IP address under interface, the ATA only shows a string containing the MAC address. The server is listening and actually runs, but did not manage to pull the file. The log shows some weird IP 0.0.0.71 followed by the mac address of the ATA. Does that mean I need to modify the registry to assign a static IP address to the mac address? Firewall and antivirus were turned off. Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sorry but I cannot understand. :ph34r:
What do you mean "behind" D-link router which is behind the DSL modem?
Are you trying to do this through LAN (Local Area Network) or "from the outside".
(in other words are you using just the "hub" of a multiport router ?)

Usually the router is also set as DHCP server, if this is the case the TFTP32 (with the DHCP set) will create a conflict.

Is the IP of the D-link router "static" or gathered from the DHCP server? (and WHICH DHCP server)?
Is the IP of the PC "static" or gathered from the DHCP server? (and WHICH DHCP server)?
Is the IP of the ATA device "static" or gathered from the DHCP server? (and WHICH DHCP server)?

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Wazz

Wazz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Try to deselect the DHCP option in TFTPD32 and try again. also, I do not have experience with Linksys phones but I know with the Cisco's you have to put the phone in a special boot mode to pull a file from TFTP. Hope this helps.......

#4 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

@ Wonko the Sane

Thank you for your reply! D-Link is a wireless router with 4 ports. PC and ATA are connected to it.
IP for D-Link is static (I believe) since this is what you type in web browser to access it.
IP for PC and ATA are gathered from D-Link router DHCP server.
Thanks!

@Wazz

I tried that and the log did not show anything. The Linksys ATA is a CIsco product. I put in the phone a boot mode as you said which is supposed to reset the device and make it pulls the file. It did the reset, check the server, but can't pull the file. Can you elaborate a little more on the settings you have used on your Cisco device? Thanks!

#5 Wazz

Wazz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have a pretty old 7941 model and I do the following:

From powered off state, plug in an hold #
Wait for LED's to start blinking in order then release #
Soft Reset Code is - 123456789*0#

If I remember correctly.....the last time I did this (TFTPD a Config File), I put the phone and PC straight into a HUB. I would try that....bypass the Network and just HUB it if you have one......also, make sure Windows Firewall is disabled as well......Hope this helps.

#6 Wazz

Wazz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

You would need to enable and set DHCP obviously if you use the HUB........

#7 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Wazz! Mine model's number is SPA 2102 (one of the most difficult ones). I will give your suggestion a try. I think bypassing the network and assigning a static IP to the PC is the way I will go. I don't have a hub, but I have an ethernet crossover cable that I can connect between the PC and the ATA device. Will that be OK or do I still ned a hub? Thanks!

#8 Wazz

Wazz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

The crossover should work but you will need to set up a DHCP Server to push an address to the phone.....I forgot you were on a Workstation, use this:

http://www.dhcpserver.de/dhcpsrv.htm

It's a lightweight DHCP Server you can use temporarily

Also, you could do a Hard Factory Reset but without the Proper CUCM Image File, you could easily Brick it..........

#9 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Wazz! Long story short; I have had this device on Callcentric for almost 2 years now. I ended up locking my device after the Callcentric debacle last week. I am trying to unlock the device so that I can reconfigure it with CC. I already have a config file for which I know the password that I am trying to load onto the device.

I was going to manually assigned an IP address to the PC and then set the IP pool starting address with the PC IP +1 and set the size of pool to 10 under the DHCP Settings tab. I will instead install the DHCP server version 2.3 that you sent me and see if it assigns IP to both the PC and ATA device when connected together. I won't get to do that until later, but I will post back to let everyone on the forum know how it went (for future reference).

Thanks all for the help!

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

The crossover should work but you will need to set up a DHCP Server to push an address to the phone.....I forgot you were on a Workstation, use this:

http://www.dhcpserver.de/dhcpsrv.htm

It's a lightweight DHCP Server you can use temporarily

Or set TFTP32 as the DHCP server.... ;)

Wonko

#11 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

@ Wonko

A little confused here. I think Wazz suggested the DHCP server software in order not to mess with manually assigning static IP. I assumed that the software will assign IP addresses for both the PC and ATA device when run. The PC IP address, TFTPD32 will pick automatically and I would have to enter the device IP address under IP Pool with a pool number. Am I correct to assume so or is it otherwise? Thanks!

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well, it is confusing :).
You want only ONE (and ONE only) DHCP server on the whole network.
If the DHCP server is running on the PC (and the ATA thingy is set to get it's IP form the DHCP server) and the two are connected through a cross-over cable, you assign a static IP to the PC (let's say 192.168.1.1 Netmask 255.255.255.0) and you set the DHCP server to assign addresses starting from 192.168.1.2 (same netmask of course).
If you are running TFTP32 AND you set (as you initially posted) it as DHCP server, you enter the above settings in TFTP32 and need NOT another DHCP server.
If you run the DHCP server Wazz suggested (AFAIK a very good one) then you enter the above settings in it and DISABLE the DHCP server in TFTP32.

I hope this is now more clear.

Wonko

#13 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Very clear now - I will start by using the TFTPD32 server first to see what happens since it is already built into the program. if no success, then I will move on to the next method. Now I think I understand how the process works a little better. I truly appreciate all the help! I will post back later to update everyone on how it went. Thanks again!

#14 Wazz

Wazz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Wonko the Sane is correct......I didn't know that TFTPD32 had DHCP Server capabilities.....Derrrrr! Good looking App! I usually use a basic "shell" Server for TFTP......Live and Learn....LOL

Let us know how it goes.......

#15 coder

coder

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

what a mess :eek:
I'd stick to a single DHCP, no static IPs, if my DHCP at the router can do PXE set it there, if not use a proxyDHCP strategy,
but never mixing static IPs with DHCP, nor more than 1 DHCP server either.

#16 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

I am back folks after 4 unsuccessful hours trying everything to make the ATA pull the config file. With the crossover cable, I was not able to see any traffic in the log viewer. I took screenshots of the server settings and cmd with and without the router. If somebody wants to take a look at them, let me know (not sure if there is a way to PM someone), I was trying to upload them here, but it does not look like this is an option. Back to square one then, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Why don't you start from scratch?
Connect only TWO devices to the Router/hub, the PC and the ATA thingy.
How is the DHCP on the router set? (screenshot, upload to any of the free image hosting site, post a link to it).
How is the TCP/IP of the PC set? (screenshot or copy and paste of IPCONFIG /ALL)
How is the TFTP32 set?
How is the ATA thingy set? (screenshots)

Wonko

#18 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

As suggested, I started from scratch and the links showing the server settings, router DHCP, IP's, and log view are below. Please look at them and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/c52ip
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/qtz32
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/7t5gj
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/76dbh
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/dd8zw

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/8f9t9

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Well, these seems more like your intiial settings.
Try from scratch:
Here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/76dbh
Disable DHCP server on the Router (leave it's address 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0).

Assign to the TCP/IP connection on the PC a static IP of 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS server 8.8.8.8

Here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/c52ip
server interface 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
disable support for IPv6/disable syslog server/enable DHCP server.

Here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/qtz32
leave checked only "option negotiation"

Here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/7t5gj
(remember that service interface is now 192.168.0.2) set IP pool starting address 192.168.0.3/UNcheck "ping address before assignation"

What happens?

Wonko

#20 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Log shown is below. It looks like loop with different time stamp.

Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:08:E4:4D:CA [13/10 13:56:10.079]
Client requested address 0.0.0.79 [13/10 13:56:10.079]
no more address or address previously allocated by another server [13/10 13:56:10.079]
Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:08:E4:4D:CA [13/10 13:56:13.706]
Client requested address 0.0.0.79 [13/10 13:56:13.706]
no more address or address previously allocated by another server [13/10 13:56:13.721]
Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:08:E4:4D:CA [13/10 13:56:22.068]
Client requested address 0.0.0.79 [13/10 13:56:22.068]
no more address or address previously allocated by another server [13/10 13:56:22.083]

#21 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Is this similar to what you are trying to achieve ?

http://www.proconx.c.../AN301-1101.pdf

#22 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

@saddlejib

Yes, it is similar. This is my first time messing around with TFTP. For some reason, I can't get the config file toload onto the unit whatever I do, which is why I am trying to get help from this forum. I even tried with a crossover cable. Thanks!

#23 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

If I don't have a switch, can I use a crossover cable? If yes, do I connect the cable to the Ethernet port or the internet in this case? Thanks!

#24 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Strangely enough I have the SPA 1001 which I never had problems configuring as an individual unit:
I'm only guessing, as we all are, what you are actually trying to do: you may be trying to 'push' your new config file out to a multiplicity of the same units Still guessing !!
You described your setup scantily to say the least, and your problem 'what you are trying to achieve' even less so, but hey, We are all mind readers.
A concise description of software, system, enviroment and objectives would help everyone, your in the middle of your battle, we're not, but may be able to help.

#25 zafeseve

zafeseve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

@saddlejib
My unit is the old Sunrocket SPA-2102R. It was working for a while on Callcentric until they started having issues about 2 weeks ago. They sent me some configuration to get the unit to their new server. I reset the unit by accident and locked the unit. What I am trying to do now is to follow this video on youtube () to unlock the unit. I already downloaded the config file (for which the password is known) and changed the name to the mac address of the unit as suggested in the video. My problem at this point is to push the file to the unit using TFTPD32 (or any other server for that matter) so I can unlock it. That is what I have been trying to accomplish the past 4 days without success. The PDF file you pointed me to is a good document, but I do not have a switch to implement it.

At this point, I do not have a real setup as this is my first time using a TFTP server. My home network is a Westell DSL Modem 6100 followed by a D-Link WBR1310 wireless router to which my computer (Windows 7) and the SPA-2102R are connected. Now, with help of people on this forum I have tried to bypass the router and even connected a crossover cable directly to the SPA-2101R without success. I tried to provide as much info as I can in hope that will give you a better understanding of what I am trying to do. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users