#1 micro7hd

micro7hd
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hello, i have an 1TB external HDD and I want to have easy2boot in it,

should i have 2 partitions? one for easy2boot and the other one to keep my files in the HDD? 

which formats should the partitions be? and which size?

#2 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have done both.  I currently have a bunch of USB 3 WD Passport drives, some have a single partition, some have 2 partitions.  The fact that they're USB has nothing to do with the question, the same would work for eSATA as well. I make all my partitions NTFS, the overhead is higher but the security is worth it to me.

I would use whatever scheme you want, one or two partitions.  I commonly use 2 just to keep things segregated. Mainly so that I can fix just one of my drives up just the way I want it, make an image of it and then put that image down on the rest of them. With a second partition just for data I don't have to back the whole thing up, just the bootable partition portion.

I have a bunch of bootable stuff on my E2B drives, several different Windows PE versions. a bunch of Linux OSs and some utilities like Trinity Recovery Kit and KON BOOT. 

Look into making image partitions on Steve's Easy2Boot site.  With the MPI Toolpak I converted all my Windows install ISOs to .imgPTN files.  I can boot to and install Windows 7 32 or 64, Windows 8 43  or 64 or Windows 10 32 or 64 all from the same stick just by making the .imgPTN for the selected OS active and booting to it. Easy2Boot makes it dead simple.

One caveat: Take Steve's advice and prep the drive with RMPRepUSB and use it to install Grub4DOS on both the MBR and PBR, then put Easy2Boot on it.  Many USB drives have some goofy stuff written for other OSs on the drive and the only way to get rid of it and keep it out of the way of Easy2Boot is to reformat the drive. RMPrepUSB makes this easy too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users