Photo
- - - - -

64bit emulation without hardware virtualization (VT)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

I have the (currently not yet completelly proofed) feeling, that Win7 does not like any qEmu.

Maybe it's something else

Maybe something is the "1024" MB value Peter use for emulation tests (which is default on qemu v11 script). Loooong time ago when I start the tests (PE2x64), In a version of qemu I experienced using 1024 MB ram cause bsod (or hang) but using 512 MB ram results success, since than I always made my tests with 512 value. (I hope my memory not tricking me, I can not remember bios (but highly probably latest boch :thumbup:) or qemu version but I am very sure about 1024 - 512 thingy)

Peter, please retest, Sorry if I remember wrong , Glad if this solves the issue you get with win7 tests.... :rolleyes:

#52 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'll do next days 'organized' tests changing also the amount of memory.

But I already tried (old standard) 384, 512, (your trial package) 600 and 1024 MB with no differences ... :rolleyes: :thumbup:

I'm rather sure that here Billy The Door introduced something comparable to "uncertified driver", which in Win7 x64 (currently?) cannot be passed.

Peter

#53 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi Peter,

Win7 x64 working here (Core2duo 2ghz, E 4400) verrrrrrrry slowly (needs patience):
I used my trial package ( qemu-0.9.0-windows_20091209.7z ), only changed iso name at 1test.cmd . (Win7 x64 built with YahooUK's Multi7PE, Win7RC1_7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us Win7RC1_7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us used as source) .
Maybe the difference between "Duol Core" "Dual Core" and "Core 2 Duo" effects the result of qemu-system-x86_64.exe :rolleyes:

edit: source name fixed :thumbup:

#54 Lucas Campos

Lucas Campos
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

I don't understood well... This QEMU emulates a CPU with Virtualization System, then I can run any 64bit system without CPU?

It just runs on Linux system? Sorry, kinda noob, I came here by searching a solution to virtualize a Windows Server 2008 R2 on my system without VT.
Is it possible with this QEMU? Or I understood wrong?

#55 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

@ Lucas Campos
qemu runs on Linux (and some other OSes).
If your CPU doesn't support hardware virtualisation, you best install the kqemu kernel module to get a better speed.
If your CPU has hardware virtualisation, use kvm (same syntax than qemu, but with harware virtualisation support.

You can also use VirtualBox.

#56 Lucas Campos

Lucas Campos
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

@Icecube

My CPU doesn't have VT, so I can't virtualize 64bit system, there is a way to virtualize without VT? In fact I came in this page by searching "Virtualization without VT"

#57 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

@ Lucas Campos
You don't need VT:
  • Run VirtualBox
  • or Qemu with kqemu kernel module (without it, it will be very slow)

#58 mihi

mihi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

@ Lucas Campos
First of all, if you don't have hardware virtualization, tell us your host OS. If the host OS is 32-bit and you want to run a 64-bit Guest OS and don't have hardware virtualization, the only working option I know is QEMU (without KQEMU and without KVM) and it will be painfully slow. QEMU builds are available for Windows as well, not only for Linux (and for lot of other OSes too). In that scenario it does not matter if your host CPU is 64-bit capable, so in theory you could also emulate a 64-bit OS on a 486 cpu (but in practice I'm not sure if you could wait for it booting...).

If your host OS is 64-bit, you can use VirtualBox or QEMU with KQEMU for running a 64-bit guest OS. Both on Windows (64-bit) and Linux (64-bit) and these options will be fast. Even QEMU without KQEMU (if not available for your host OS) will be a lot faster emulating a 64-bit OS if your host OS is 64-bit.

If you have hardware virtualization, host OS does not matter whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

Edited by mihi, 01 October 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#59 Lucas Campos

Lucas Campos
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

So, I don't have VT,(Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @2.00Ghz) and my OS is Windows 8 Pro 64-bits. o/
I downloaded the latest version of QEMU for Windows, and I already have the latest version of VirtualBox.
So there is a tutorial link for how to virtualize the WS8R2 or maybe someone could explain to me?
Thanks a lot guys, you are cheering me up, o/

#60 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

You can look at Tutorial 4 on my site, but I have not had a lot of luck with virtualising x64 Windows 7/Vista on Virtual box or QEMU...

#61 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Well, mae because I do have the VT extensions, I have had better luck on the VirtualBox front. BUT, the current docs for Virtual Box state

64-bit guests

VirtualBox supports 64-bit guest operating systems, even on 32-bit host operating systems,[11] provided that the following conditions are met:

So it looks like you will need to get a processor that is more capable (i.e. uses Hardware VT) if you want to use VirtualBox.

:cheers:
Scott

#62 Lucas Campos

Lucas Campos
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

@sbaeder
Now i got lost... You mean there is no way to virtualize the 64bit in this machine, at all?

@steve6375
Sorry, I was searching your website, but I dont find the tutorial, can you post a direct link?

Edited by Lucas Campos, 02 October 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#63 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Tutorials are listed on the left-hand side of every page???
Here is link, but would be interested to know why you could not find tutorial #4???

#64 Nightingale

Nightingale
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Well, i was able to install sucefully a Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Lancelot pack.
Is it possible to install a 64bit system with the GUI's from the topic?
I got some blue screens in versions of Qemu Manager (Even 0.9.0) , and Qtemu won't boot as well...
Thank ya.

#65 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

@sbaeder
Now i got lost... You mean there is no way to virtualize the 64bit in this machine, at all?

Basically - YES, this is what that means. VirtualBox says that it requires the VT extensions in hardware in order to emulate a full 64 bit processor (and OS) on a 32 bit system. That basically means that you need a 64 bit capable processor WITH the VTx extensions even if you are running a 32 bit OS. Maybe the QEMU path can be made to work, but as previously mentioned, without the HW Support, it would be almost so slow as to be useless. So, I wouldn't bother - unless it is just an exercise in "fun"...

:cheers:
Scott

#66 kocoman

kocoman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Is it possible to run qemu in OSX with a CPU without VT?

thanks

#67 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yes, that's possible.

I use qEmu on my test system which has no vt-x.

Peter

#68 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yes, that's possible.

I use qEmu on my test system which has no vt-x.

Peter

Peter, do you remember the problem we faced to get the VM image working in one of the early CTFs? Is it a solution to that problem?

#69 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

I do not have hardware virtualization (VT)I am running XPx64 and I would like to run another XPx64 in a VM on it.

is Qemu still the only option for this? and will the latest Qemu with Qmanager work for this (XPx64 guest on XPx64 host)

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users