32 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

I'm using a 4GB USB flash drive, which I've Quick Formatted FAT32, and I am trying to "Make Bootable USB" but keep getting "Space isn't sufficient for 1996MB." The files in the ISO folder occupy just 740MB so why do I keep getting this message?

#2 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

I'm using a 4GB USB flash drive, which I've Quick Formatted FAT32, and I am trying to "Make Bootable USB" but keep getting "Space isn't sufficient for 1996MB." The files in the ISO folder occupy just 740MB so why do I keep getting this message?

The pendrive is empty? How is it formatted? SARDU don't delete any files, then, if the pen drive isn't empy....

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Is it actually a 4 Gb pendrive?

Or maybe :ph34r: it's an el-cheapo fake one? :cheers:

Which OS are you running?

Do you have some 4 Gb free available on a hard disk?

Can you try making a dd-like or forensic-like image of the stick?

;)
Wonko

#4 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried 2 different USB flash drives, one new 2GB drive and the other a 4GB drive. Quick formatting as FAT32 was successful in both cases, i.e. there was nothing on the drive after doing that. I just copied a file to the drive and began executing it but cancelled starting the installer at the UAC prompt, to verify that there is nothing wrong with the flash drive. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. A key question is why does it say insufficient space for 1996MB when there are only 740MB of files in the ISO folder. When SARDU is finished and gives the aforementioned error message, the drive is empty (using Properties to measure used/available space).

Any other thoughts?

#5 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

A key question is why does it say insufficient space for 1996MB when there are only 740MB of files in the ISO folder.

What kind of iso file is it?
Antivirus or some kind of PE?
Where/what did you download?

#6 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

What kind of iso file is it?
Antivirus or some kind of PE?
Where/what did you download?

It's not one ISO; the ISO folder has 4 ISOs in it, whose total size is 740MB. The largest ISO is UBCD4Win with a total size of 656,670,720 bytes. I suspect I could reduce the contents to 1 small ISO and it wouldn't change a thing, as I already reduced the number from several more, whose total size was still just under the space available on the flash drive, with no change in symptoms.

#7 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Wonko is the expert on this and will probably help you more later.
Meanwhile, you can test your USB flash drive with RMPrepUSB.
Read more about it here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7739
and download here:
http://sites.google....site/rmprepusb/

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

I tried 2 different USB flash drives, one new 2GB drive and the other a 4GB drive.

May be here lies the problem.

A stick will come from factory, in 99.99% (please read as "ALWAYS") NOT partitioned, i.e. set up as "superfloppy".

It's first sector will be a PBR (and NOT a MBR) and you can format it (quickly or not) all the times you want, but it won't ever become a partitioned HD-like device (which is a "basic" requirement).

Most if not all USB stick preparing tools will expect such a partitioned device.

Try using RMPREPUSB as al-jo suggested.

:ph34r:
Wonko

#9 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

It's not one ISO; the ISO folder has 4 ISOs in it, whose total size is 740MB. The largest ISO is UBCD4Win with a total size of 656,670,720 bytes. I suspect I could reduce the contents to 1 small ISO and it wouldn't change a thing, as I already reduced the number from several more, whose total size was still just under the space available on the flash drive, with no change in symptoms.

Mmmm

4 isos
740 mb total
~656 mb only UBCD4win

What are the other iso?

#10 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Mmmm

4 isos
740 mb total
~656 mb only UBCD4win

What are the other iso?

May I also add:
If you only make one iso-file "Make_Iso" of the 4 iso-files with Sardu, what is the final size?

#11 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

May be here lies the problem.

A stick will come from factory, in 99.99% (please read as "ALWAYS") NOT partitioned, i.e. set up as "superfloppy".

It's first sector will be a PBR (and NOT a MBR) and you can format it (quickly or not) all the times you want, but it won't ever become a partitioned HD-like device (which is a "basic" requirement).

Most if not all USB stick preparing tools will expect such a partitioned device.

Try using RMPREPUSB as al-jo suggested.

Wonko

Okay, thanks for that info. I've downloaded RMPrepUSB and will use it to format the flash drive as a HD and try again. What type of boot options should I be specifying, and what OS files need to be copied over after the format?

#12 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Mmmm

4 isos
740 mb total
~656 mb only UBCD4win

What are the other iso?

Posted Image

If you only make one iso-file "Make_Iso" of the 4 iso-files with Sardu, what is the final size?

34,816 bytes, which doesn't make any sense.

#13 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

Posted Image

Extra folder is empty?

#14 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

Posted Image

The final size should be about 700MB
In Sardu, do you have a checkboxes enabled for Avira, NTpsw, Pwhe and Ubcd4win?

#15 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

The final size should be about 700MB
In Sardu, do you have a checkboxes enabled for Avira, NTpsw, Pwhe and Ubcd4win?

The Exra and isolinux folders are both empty, and Avira Antivirus Rescue, NT password, Partition Wizard and UBCD4Win are all checked and no others.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

Okay, thanks for that info. I've downloaded RMPrepUSB and will use it to format the flash drive as a HD and try again. What type of boot options should I be specifying, and what OS files need to be copied over after the format?

ANY. ;)

Meaning: it's a tool, read it's help PDF, TRY it, experiment.

RMPREPUSB has additionally context sensitive help, it's not difficult, it is a 6 (six) step process, each step is well illustrated, you need to take your chances, and use your own little gray cells ;), otherwise you won't ever "learn" but only press buttons in a given sequence without understanding what you are doing...

Wonko

#17 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

ANY. ;)

Meaning: it's a tool, read it's help PDF, TRY it, experiment.

RMPREPUSB has additionally context sensitive help, it's not difficult, it is a 6 (six) step process, each step is well illustrated, you need to take your chances, and use your own little gray cells ;), otherwise you won't ever "learn" but only press buttons in a given sequence without understanding what you are doing...

Wonko

As a retired electrical engineer with an MBA, and being 70 years old, I've used up all my little grey cells, thanks. Thanks for everyone's helpfulness.

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

As a retired electrical engineer with an MBA, and being 70 years old, I've used up all my little grey cells, thanks.

I'll try to transpose your question:

What type of boot options should I be specifying, and what OS files need to be copied over after the format?

into your professional field:

What type of settings should I select on an oscilloscope to analyze a signal?

If your answer to the above question would begin with or include anything like:
  • it depends on the actual type of signal, it's voltage, it's frequency, ....
or:
  • which kind of probe do you have?

You should get the idea of the sense of my answer.

The question is otiose, as I see it:
http://www.thefreedi...nary.com/otiose

If you like to press buttons in a given order:
0. Select RIGHT USB device <- you need to use at least 1 neuron to do this
1. MAX
2. RMPREPUSB
3. XP/BartPE bootable
4. FAT32 Boot as HDD (C: 2 ptns)
5. Check copy OS files ->Choose copy Folder -> select ANY folder/drive where NTLDR BOOT.INI NTDETECT.COM files are copy and paste this BOOT.INI: http://diddy.boot-la...ws.htm#windows1 (at least 2 more neurons needed)
6. Prepare drive

Some random numbers:
  • Number of neurons involved: 7+1+2=10
  • Quantity of info learned: 0
  • Probability of having a bootable stick following the above using additional neurons (some 25 needed): around 99.99%
  • Probability of having a bootable stick following the above without using ANY additional neuron: around 83.74%

Wonko

#19 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

The Exra and isolinux folders are both empty, and Avira Antivirus Rescue, NT password, Partition Wizard and UBCD4Win are all checked and no others.

In Sardu, can you see if the file size changes when you disable or enable one or all ISO's?
What size does Sardu show and what is the size of the final ISO if you only enable NT password?
If Sardu does not produce an ISO over 5Mb probably you should download Sardu and the 4 ISO's again.

#20 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

In Sardu, can you see if the file size changes when you disable or enable one or all ISO's?
What size does Sardu show and what is the size of the final ISO if you only enable NT password?
If Sardu does not produce an ISO over 5Mb probably you should download Sardu and the 4 ISO's again.

Yes, the file size changes as I add/remove applications. I disabled all but NT Password, which I just downloaded the latest version of (I had the previous version before that), and I re-downloaded and unpacked the latest version (1.0.7.3e) of SARDU yesterday. When I Create ISO, I still get the same sized iso created: 34,816 bytes. I'm going to try it on my laptop, which runs XP, and see if it's a Win 7 problem.

#21 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:54 AM

Okay, I just tried it on my netbook and it worked like a charm! I noticed that it prompted to allow 7Zip to run several times during the build process, which it never did at all on my Win7 system. The USB drive booted and worked fine, too. I'll investigate why 7Zip didn't run tomorrow. I normally use ZipGenius as my default archiving utility. I am most eager to get UBCD4Win added.

#22 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yes, 7z.exe is the ”extractor” of the ISO’s and
Mkisofs.exe is the “maker” of the final ISO.

Which program is “promted”?
Perhaps ZipGenius is interfering? (Open Taskmanager when running Sardu)
What happens if you uninstall ZipGenius and try again?

#23 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I get prompted every time 7z.exe runs, i.e. once per iso, I think. I uninstalled ZipGenius and doing so hosed my partition table! Fixed that and tried creating an ISO again with no archive utility installed. No change. No problem, I'll just use my netbook to update SARDU.

BTW, I added UBCD4Win to SARDU and it shows up in the menu when I boot SARDU. However, when I run it, I get the "Boot:" prompt and then it just takes me back to the SARDU menu when I press Enter on it. The only items in the UBCD4WIN folder on the flash drive are dban-Syslinux.ini, isolinux.cfg, syslinux.cfg and ubcd4win.cfg -- all of which are zero bytes, so it's no wonder it didn't run. The iso I put in the ISO folder I named U_B_C_D_4_WIN.iso. If I name it anything else, it is not checked in the SARDU menu when I go to create Bootable USB. I used that name for the iso because that's what's on your WindowsPe page. Any suggestions? (My apologies if I should have started a new thread!)

#24 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

I get prompted every time 7z.exe runs, i.e. once per iso, I think. I uninstalled ZipGenius and doing so hosed my partition table! Fixed that and tried creating an ISO again with no archive utility installed. No change. No problem, I'll just use my netbook to update SARDU.

BTW, I added UBCD4Win to SARDU and it shows up in the menu when I boot SARDU. However, when I run it, I get the "Boot:" prompt and then it just takes me back to the SARDU menu when I press Enter on it. The only items in the UBCD4WIN folder on the flash drive are dban-Syslinux.ini, isolinux.cfg, syslinux.cfg and ubcd4win.cfg -- all of which are zero bytes, so it's no wonder it didn't run. The iso I put in the ISO folder I named U_B_C_D_4_WIN.iso. If I name it anything else, it is not checked in the SARDU menu when I go to create Bootable USB. I used that name for the iso because that's what's on your WindowsPe page. Any suggestions? (My apologies if I should have started a new thread!)

Sardu rename UBCD4win in U_B_C_D_4_WIN.iso not to be confused with UBCD (4dos)
If you make an iso withe the some isos works fine? (Test it with mobalivecd)

#25 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

Arghhh! I just bricked my netbook! It wouldn't read one of my flash drives and I may have just pulled it from the USB slot. Then the fan ran at high speed and it wouldn't turn off. Had to pull the battery to turn it off, then it wouldn't reboot. I get A "Serial number not found" message and resetting the bios by disconnecting the CMOS battery doesn't fix it. The BIOS shows no model number or serial number. Damn! I'll take a break from SARDU and get on with other things for a while. Thanks for all your help! I have many useful programs on my flash drive now, thanks to you and your program!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users