paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

So far found these apps don't work or cannot be installed on win 8 x64:

1) Paragon HDM 12 Pro ( installs but does not run )
2) Kasperksy avptool 2011 ( error reported during install )
3) MS Visual Studio 6 - hangs during install.

#52 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thanks paraglider.
I've found that the FingerPrint software Authentec Protector Suite 2011 doesn't work on Win8 CP.

#53 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Windows 8 supports usb boot natively!! :clap: You needn’t make any change in registry or other place to make windows 8 usb bootable. Just extract install.wim to usb device with imagex.exe and create boot files with bcdboot.exe, then you can setup and boot windows 8 on a usb device.

• Windows 8 can place pagefile.sys on usb boot device. So a computer can boot with only usb drive without the complaint of no virtual memory.
  • In usb boot windows 8, when you plug off the usb device. The system will not crash, everything just stops. When you plug in again, the system recovers.
  • The setup.exe program still cannot install windows 8 to usb device directly. So you need to install windows 8 manually with imagex+bcdboot.

I would like to have Win8 CP bootable from an USB drive. Could you please elaborate the 3rd point?
Thx

#54 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Qbert,
Installing Win8 CP onto a USB drive using imagex and bcdboot has already been posted here.
However, here's a complete step-by-step just for you:

When you install Win8 CP on your PC, you’ll be asked for a product key.
You can use one of the following keys for the 32bit/64bit versions of Win8 CP:
DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
NF32V-Q9P3W-7DR7Y-JGWRW-JFCK8

These keys will expire after Microsoft officially launches Win8 later this year.

1. It is recommended to download the 32bit version of Win8 CP, which is roughly 2.8GB.

2. Mount the ISO as a virtual drive using ImDisk or Virtual CloneDrive, both are freeware.

3. Wipe, partition and format a 32GB+ DOK or USB-HDD drive (HDD is recommended for speed) using RMPrepUSB as NTFS+Bootmgr+Boot as HDD, or use Windows Format if you have already formatted the drive and it has an active (bootable) partition.

4. Obtain ImageX.exe in some way. We cannot provide it for you. You can obtain it from the Win7 WAIK or Win8 ADK.

5. Open up a command console (CMD) as Administrator.

6. Assuming that your Win8 ISO is mounted at K: and the USB drive has the drive letter U:, type the command:
Imagex /Info K:SourcesInstall.wim

This checks what images you have present inside the WIM file - let's assume that you want image #1.
Usually only one image is present inside the WIM file (unless you have the Server download).

7. Now type:
ImageX /Apply K:SourcesInstall.wim 1 U:

8. After the image has been successfuly applied to the USB drive, type:
BCDBOOT U:Windows /s U:

9. Use the Safely Remove Device System Tray icon to eject the USB drive.

10. DONE!

NOTES:
It may reboot several times during kernel and driver detection, so remember to enter the Boot Menu from the BIOS and make it boot from the USB drive each time (it may quickly reboot back to your internal HDD the first time!).
If the Metro Apps don't seem to run, try changing the screen resolution to a larger size - they only run at a screen resolution of 1024x768 or larger!

#55 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Ok, it's the tutorial #53. Great, thx.

Just wonder why 32 bit is recommended. I would like to install 64, due to avoid the 3gb ram limit.

Edited by Qbert, 15 March 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#56 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ok, it's the tutorial #53. Great, thx.
Just wonder why 32 bit is recommended. I would like to install 64, due to avoid the 3gb ram limit.

The 64-bit Dev Preview did not work. I have not tested the 64-bit Consumer Preview - it will probably work OK.

#57 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

You can obtain ImageX from the Win7 WAIK or Win8 ADK.

Hi ericgl,

If you want to post a substantially new or different Tutorial, an appropriate Tutorial section would be a better place (in fact, the only suitable) to ensure accessibility for other readers. I also believe, if a Tutorial is a reprint from another site, there may be a valid reason why its author elected to post it on that site. Hence, a permission from the author for a reprint feels required.

As to suggesting use of ImageX for Win7 with Win8 products, MS does not recommend it, in fact involved MS staff clearly stating it was substituted by a new version. It doesn't mean however, it won't work at all, but its hard to identify resulting differences for a user. :)

#58 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

@steve6375
In your tutorial number 53 (here) you mention the following -

Skip the Product Key entry if asked on the 2011 early Developer Preview version or use 6RH4V-HNTWC-JQKG8-RFR3R-36498.
The Consumer Preview 2012 version needs to have a Product Key entered and this cannot be skipped - the Beta trial key is DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J.

In my own tests with the Consumer Preview a product key does not need to be entered - IF the image was applied using either imagex or dism then this step can be skipped. The product key cannot be skipped if the Consumer Preview is installed normally - however the installer will not work in this scenario (booting from USB) anyway!

@sambul61

As to suggesting use of ImageX for Win7 with Win8 products, MS does not recommend it...

So what - it works. I think I may even have used imagex from WinPE 2.x. If you are carrying out this task (applying the install.wim image number 1 to a USB drive) from either Windows 7 or 8 (and probably 2008) then ImageX is not even required as DISM can be used instead. I personally prefer using DISM anyway as it avoids hundreds of error messages being parsed and does not require additional tools or downloads.

@sambul61

I also believe, if a Tutorial is a reprint from another site, there may be a valid reason why its author elected to post it on that site. Hence, a permission from the author for a reprint feels required.

Really, by who? The original tutorial was clearly linked to. Perhaps ericgl could have explicitly stated where he got the instructions from, however he has certainly not IMHO tried to pass it off as his own. I personally prefer the relevant instructions to be included in the thread as it makes things easier to follow and read - particularly if the original site is lost or changed. As the author of the instructions has not raised any complaints in his own post (two posts after ericgl's) then why are you?

@sambul61

If you want to post a substantially new or different Tutorial, an appropriate Tutorial section would be a better place (in fact, the only suitable) to ensure accessibility for other readers.

Really, why? In the past it's always been perfectly acceptable to post instructions in relevant subforums. Nuno's new system of linking to a relevant thread works well enough for ensuring accessibility for others. The instructions appeared to be for Qbert's benefit and possible other people following this thread.

@ericgl
Thanks for starting this thread. It's is a nice attempt at keeping things together and has so far helped in my transition to using Windows 8. Hope my post is not too off topic.
  • ericgl likes this

#59 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

The 64-bit Dev Preview did not work. I have not tested the 64-bit Consumer Preview - it will probably work OK.

I can confirm it works! I had problem at first with imagex+bcd but with nt6.x everything was fine.
Now I am trying to change the video driver... no luck so far :cold:
  • ericgl likes this

#60 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

In the past it's always been perfectly acceptable to post instructions in relevant subforums.

My above comments include common sense explanation why its better. :) If someone published a book or Guide, its his Copyright or his publisher. If someone else (like you) would copy the book to a forum, even with a link to that book sold on Amazon or posted at the author's site, the 1st thing the author would be expected to do is sent a notice of infringement to the site owner, and shortly after most authors would keep reporting the alleged violation to relevant bodies until at least one thing happens:

- the site is closed
- the violation is fixed
- the owners are investigated and prosecuted by the authorities
- the author is compensated for damages

This is because the author has exclusive rights to his copy for a time period set in law, and any infringement affects his ability to benefit from it financially, say by selling it or complementary products, or placing ads on his site. While its the author who is expected to raise such issues, members of public aren't prohibited either. Law enforcement is common responsibility, including trying to stop a perceived violator or suggest a better approach, in this case in a friendly and constructive manner.

Before answering, I always look at who posted the comment. And found your account having only 3 posts (all in this thread), but referring to distant forum past. So consider it an exception that I replied to a fake account, and it would be unfair to ericgl to keep going. Don't waste your time with provocative remarks. :lol: If you're looking to gain popularity, the best way is try create your own content useful for others.

#61 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Before answering, I always look at who posted the comment. And found your account having only 3 posts (all in this thread), but referring to distant forum past. So consider it an exception that I even replied to a fake account, and it would be unfair to ericgl to keep going.

I am failng to see the reason why a member with only a few posts should be considered a "fake account" and not a new member or a member that posts seldom. :dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#62 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

@sambul61

Thank you for your warm and friendly welcome to the forum. To avoid this thread being hijacked I have responded here

#63 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Everyone!
Please stay on topic, and post only findings regarding Window 8 CP.
Leave your quarrels behind. If I could delete all un-related posts, I would.
  • Brito likes this

#64 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Finally had time test windows 8 32bit on Vmware 8.
Install went well.

That little swipe up thing got me. You have swipe up to get login screen. I liked that it time and weather without loginin.

Had find way to auto login They need easier way to get to it.

In Metro UI start screen. Enter netplwiz and hit enter
uncheck “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”
Just put your password and the confirmation password in the prompt that opens

Not easy to close apps using mouse.
Have to use Task Manager or use alt F4

Needs better implentation of shutdow. took a while to find it.

made me sweat a bit.

#65 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

made me sweat a bit.

Always takes time to adjust to new things.
Perhaps Microsoft would make some subtle changes to improve the experience by the time Win8 hits RTM.

#66 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

This is merely an observation on the new boot menu.

I have a VHD based Windows To Go installation on a USB device. The USB's boot menu was originally created using the bcdboot command. Two other entries were added using bcdedit. It contains three entries -

1 - VHD file (parent)
2 - VHD file (differencing)
3 - Grub4dos

When booting from the USB disk it took approximately 47 seconds before the boot menu was displayed. Selecting the Grub4dos option resulted in a reboot.

I used the same (Windows 8) bootmgr file, but deleted ALL other files created by running bcdboot and manually creating a new BCD store (using bcdedit) with the same three entries. Rebooted from the USB disk - the boot menu (text based only) was displayed in approximately 8 seconds. Selecting the Grub4dos option did NOT result in a reboot.

I'm assuming that the bcdboot command created boot menu is compatible with touch based devices and I'm also assuming that the manually created boot menu is not.

I don't have a touch device - it's therefore a long, tedious and unnecessary wait for a boot menu!

#67 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Not easy to close apps using mouse.
Have to use Task Manager or use alt F4

Easy method to close an application using a mouse - slide the mouse cursor to the top of the screen (until it changes to a hand), then left-click and drag the window down to the bottom of the screen to watch it disappear.

Alternatively, press the windows key to return to the Metro start screen (or the desktop), then move the mouse cursor to the top left of the screen to see running applications and right click on the thumbnail of the app to be closed and click on close.

Tips are from Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows

#68 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

I use Windows 8 "to go", on USB. I figured out that all the restore/backup features are disabled. I can't get the reason and would like to enable them. Any idea?

At the moment I can only make an image of whole USB hdd... from another OS :confused1:

Edited by Qbert, 26 March 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#69 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Qbert,
If you need to create an image of an internal HDD, and you're booting from a Win8 To Go USB drive - you can use any imaging app, such as Ghost, DriveImage XML, etc.
However, you can probably use the built-in command line utility RECIMG.exe, which helps users create their own Refresh image (WIM file).

#70 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Did 'Win8 To Go' already work in the developer preview?

#71 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Did 'Win8 To Go' already work in the developer preview?

Yes on 32-bit, but I could not get 64-bit version to boot. CP is OK on both.

#72 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thankss, Steve!
I prefer the DP over the CP. It has still the old shell.

#73 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

[ignore]

#74 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Authentec Protector Suite 2011 has just been updated to build 7121, and I can confirm that it works on Win8 CP x64.
Now you can authenticate at the log-on screen using your finger, instead of typing a password. :)

#75 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

Easy method to close an application using a mouse - slide the mouse cursor to the top of the screen (until it changes to a hand), then left-click and drag the window down to the bottom of the screen to watch it disappear.

Yeah! that works. Vmware top bar was blocking the top area. Thats probably why i missed it. They should use the hand thing to allow the user to pull the screen and move around it as if using youre fingers but instead using the mouse. They could use the right click mouse hold down and move around. As said similar to what happens when you hold down on the middle round wheel on a webpage and you can scroll around. This would be a good alternative from having to pull on the bars to move up/down/or left/right.

Alternatively, press the windows key to return to the Metro start screen (or the desktop), then move the mouse cursor to the top left of the screen to see running applications and right click on the thumbnail of the app to be closed and click on close.

Tips are from Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows

Had found that option. Used as last resort. Not a bad option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win8, windows 8, consumer preview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users