2 replies to this topic

#1 Trio3b

Trio3b
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Using Unetbootin (pclos version from repos) on Toshiba A305 laptop running pclos 2010 to install VL7.0 STD GOLD LIVE to 2gb SD card via USB adapter

Iinstallation is from local .iso that checksums good. Installation appears to complete fine. If I then boot Toshiba NB205, NB305 and an HP mini 110 with SD card in the USB adapter used during install - all is fine. If I try to boot from that same SD card in the card slot of these 3 netbooks I receive error:

Fatal error ocurred- VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE data not found. You may be using unsupported boot device ; Copy the directory VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk, eg to /mnt/hda1/etc

THis should never happen can't access tty: job control turned off

At first it would seem these SD card slots are not bootable but not so. (Boot Menu shows these slots as "generic multi reader - USB 2.0" or something to that effect on these netbooks) I can boot several versions of PCLINUXOS directly from very same brand of SD in card slot on these 3 netbooks. Of course these PCLOS images are loaded on to the SD card via the PCLOS Live USB creator and NOT unetbootin. THE PCLOS LiveUSB creator does not work with other distro .isos, hence using PCLOS version of Unetbootin for VL.

Makes no sense to copy the dir VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE to the HD of the host netbook, two of which are running Winxp and Win7 and the third netbook running PCLOS 2012. I think Unetbootin is just looking for that dir in the wrong place. The PCLOS LiveUSB creator must be doing something different so that the proper files are found in the right place.

Any help appreciated.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

This is probably because STD Gold Live does not contain the correct drivers for Card Readers but does contain USB drivers.
See http://www.slax.org/...&parentID=77491

#3 Trio3b

Trio3b
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

That sounds like a logical explanation of what's going on. This is not a deal breaker although having a USB adapter hanging out the side of a netbook is just begging to get snapped off.

Why would not Unetbootin have a variety of USB/card reader drivers to allow any distro to locate and access the device to be used for installation as that is it's intended purpose?

Thanks for the link.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sd card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users