Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#101 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

Now I don't know what to say.
What did I do wrong?
I answered Amalux caus he told me i did a mistake with my script.
So I corrected it and ran a reduced build to get a smaller log.
What was wrong? I am answereing 3 guys and this gets confusing.
So please state what I should do or what I did without refering to any rule pages.

I ran your barbone but had problems. I could post no log cause I could not find one (missing button)
And I have no idea how to retrieve a log from PEnetwork

Why in case of troubles do you start with the more complex project rather than with the simplier one?

Very simplified is Amalux's project nativeEx_barebone plus a couple of apps and enhancements.

As ingeneer I would start with the simplest constellation to add the missing network functionality.

myNIC adds EXACTLY the driver files of your host PC to the PE. Any driver collection cannot do anything more.

Here seems PENetwork to have some troubles with the driver install, independent which app / which script / which collection / which ??? added the driver files,

The only action which could bring some more information is the PENetwork log.
Look into the PENetwork topic how to activate the log, and where you can find it.

The evaluation of PENetwork log may give a hint whether you need a special driver script adding some additional information the current scripts (including packages) do not deliver.

Peter

#102 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

OK, I added the nvidia script to 3 Network, reduced the build quite a bit and played
In Qemu PENetwork recognized a Realtec adapter, installed it and i could access the internet!
Then I put the target files on my stick (PE to USB) and started new. I have XP Pro by the way.
This time, PENetwork didn't find anything. I ran HostNic, it found my nvidia card, installed it but still no card to befound in PEnetwork.
myNic didn't see anything
What next?

Hi Johannes, the Realtec is just a generic adapter for Qemu - ignore it for now. If hostNIC found and installed your nvidia NIC, running PENetwork after this should work :) - Unfortunatly, I don't have access to a machine with this NIC to test so all I can do is give you hints, in PE, hostNIC needs to be run before running myNIC for any hardware to be detected; also, PENetwork needs to (re-)started after running hostNIC.

#103 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

amalux, please delete my suggestion from your post, dforge probably dont work for this issue

Johannes, please dont consider my suggestion in amalux post

I guess main problem is this specific nvidia lan drivers, i talked to kare at last (kare is busy these days) and as i suspected kare told me this nvidia lan drivers works with a bus driver (like hdaudio+soundcarddriver). Also kare told me he made tests (long while ago) with this nvidia lan driver and dipe works with that.

I am preparing sth for Johannes to try.

@psc
maybe you like to put move posts starting to Johannes to another topic "nvidia lan driver with livexp", maybe not, only an idea

#104 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

Lancelot, OK, edited; look forward to any suggestions you can up with on this one :)

#105 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Hi Johannes

I hope you will be glad to get a 4th hand to help you.
I prepare a ready iso file for you to test with my lead so i guess your mind wont confuse anymore.
And dont worry, probably you did nothing wrong :) (maybe you did sth wrong but not important now :) )
There is an issue with nvidianetwork lan adapter and i guess there is not a current ready solution for it in livexp.
By your help, i hope you and all other nvidianetwork lan adapter owners will be happy.
Please post here when you get your pm, than i will give some instructions here for you to try.

I will be waiting for your reply, see you soon. :(

@amalux
Thank you and sorry for delay, i start getting a "winbuilder.exe dejavu" issue :( and again solved after many trials and without changing anything :) :)

@all
penetwork script dont copy nvidialan adapter drivers to livexp properly.
if you want to make a trial with Johannes's driver, get the driver from DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053.7z package, inside there is \NV6A\ folder, try to add the driver using penetwork script option, simply you will see that nvnetbus.sys is not copied which is i guess essential for this nvidia lan driver.

For info to all, I sent johannes a midi livexp iso (~174mb iso) through a filesharing website, A short list what i put for the current issue to the build; there is dipe, dforge, DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053.7z , Johannes's nvidia lan driver in a seperate folder, xpnp enabled, fbwf enabled, 2k3 setupldr.bin & ramdisk.sys added (so iso can be booted by ramdisk method if one wants), and some other stuff irrelevant with the subject.

#106 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

Why in case of troubles do you start with the more complex project rather than with the simplier one?

Very simplified is Amalux's project nativeEx_barebone plus a couple of apps and enhancements.

As ingeneer I would start with the simplest constellation to add the missing network functionality.

myNIC adds EXACTLY the driver files of your host PC to the PE. Any driver collection cannot do anything more.

Here seems PENetwork to have some troubles with the driver install, independent which app / which script / which collection / which ??? added the driver files,

Look into the PENetwork topic how to activate the log, and where you can find it.

The evaluation of PENetwork log may give a hint whether you need a special driver script adding some additional information the current scripts (including packages) do not deliver.

Peter

OK i ran the barbone.
In Qemu PEnetwork found the Realtek adapter, installed it and and I could access the internet.
The only log I founf is PENMDebug.txt.
Unfortunately I found no way to transport it to my real machine.
Then I burned the ISO.
PENetwork did not find anything and therefore refused to really start (as usual)
So there was no way to access the debug text.
But here is my (small) log.

#107 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

Peter

OK i ran the barbone.
In Qemu PEnetwork found the Realtek adapter, installed it and and I could access the internet.
Then I burned the ISO.
PENetwork did not find anything and therefore refused to really start (as usual)
It looks like Lacelot is right.
All the trouble is in the Nvidia driver.
So next time I will start a new thread

Attached Files

#108 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

OK i ran the barbone.
Then I burned the ISO.
It looks like Lacelot is right.
All the trouble is in the Nvidia driver.
So next time I will start a new thread

In the log I'm missing a driver script generated by myNIC.

Peter

#109 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

I hope you will be glad to get a 4th hand to help you.

I will be waiting for your reply, see you soon. :(

@Lancelot
Hey man, glad to have you on board.
As this might take quite a while I started a new topic as suggested: nvidia lan driver with livexp
So I put my findings there
:)

#110 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

In the log I'm missing a driver script generated by myNIC.

Peter

Sorry, I had already given up on this one.
OK, I inserted it, but unfortunately its the same effect.
PENetwork recognizes only the realtek card and the iso does not work
But here is the updated log

Attached Files

#111 kasinath

kasinath
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hello Mr.Amalux,

I am kasinath,
I tried to build a boot cd with the livexp project(current with winbuilder 075 beta) downloaded from winbuilder site,while running it started giving errors like mentioned in forum "Driver ImprotPE requires
BootSDI or Create ISO FBWF", so it is a boon to go to your tutorial from there. It is great.

But I could not download the file for minimun build "lx101408min.exe since the site is not opening,it gives 404 error.

Kindly let me know how to download it.

kasinath

#112 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hello Mr.Amalux,

I am kasinath,
I tried to build a boot cd with the livexp project(current with winbuilder 075 beta) downloaded from winbuilder site,while running it started giving errors like mentioned in forum "Driver ImprotPE requires
BootSDI or Create ISO FBWF", so it is a boon to go to your tutorial from there. It is great.

But I could not download the file for minimun build "lx101408min.exe since the site is not opening,it gives 404 error.

Kindly let me know how to download it.

kasinath

Hi kasinath, welcome to the forum :)

Don't worry, issues with the server have made things difficult for all of us but should be resolved soon. If not working by tomorrow, I'll send you an alternate link for download :(

Link to download here md5: 2ef8f43d8439dd7f049ba7f50550e524

#113 mmerriman1

mmerriman1
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Mr.Amalux,

In the tutorial,none of these files are unavailable. :)

neither are the other ones in the rest of the tutorial.

Pre-Setup Method:

Start here and follow along step by step...

Download the pre-packaged project below and save it to your desktop...

lx101408min Basic build for testing and learning - DL 28MB (100MB ISO)

Alt. download: lx101408min md5: 2ef8f43d8439dd7f049ba7f50550e524

#114 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Mr.Amalux,

In the tutorial,none of these files are unavailable. :)

neither are the other ones in the rest of the tutorial.

Pre-Setup Method:

Start here and follow along step by step...

Download the pre-packaged project below and save it to your desktop...

lx101408min Basic build for testing and learning - DL 28MB (100MB ISO)

Alt. download: lx101408min md5: 2ef8f43d8439dd7f049ba7f50550e524

Alt. download: lx101408min should be working now, I had to upgrade my account at Rapidshare to accommodate all the downloads :(

If the winbuilder.net issue persists, I'll provide alternate downloads for the other files as well :(

#115 BullDozer

BullDozer
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

i am having problems in getting BootSDI to work. i have gone thorugh the tutorial but it doesnt copy any files onto the USB ? i have put a check mark next to BOOTSDI with Free Space 24Mb with a check in the I provide the files and placed the RAMdisk and Setupldr.bin in the BootSDI folder

the ISO boots fine in QEMU.
using winbuilder 074. how do i get it to boot from USB ?

thanks.

#116 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

i am having problems in getting BootSDI to work. i have gone thorugh the tutorial but it doesnt copy any files onto the USB ? i have put a check mark next to BOOTSDI with Free Space 24Mb with a check in the I provide the files and placed the RAMdisk and Setupldr.bin in the BootSDI folder

the ISO boots fine in QEMU.
using winbuilder 074. how do i get it to boot from USB ?

thanks.

Hey BullDozer, welcome!

Two separate things, BootSDI (loading image to RAM at boot from CD/DVD/UFD/USB/HDD) and setting up bootable USB. Please be as specific as possible what you've done and how (walk me through the steps) and provide log from build if any errors or issues with build. Can you boot the build From CD (or Qemu) as test? Did you use PeToUSB method (recommended), if so tell me exactly where you run into trouble and I'll get you back on track :cheers:

Man, I really need to read these posts before responding ;) - OK, I get it now, just tell me how your setting up the USB, with PeToUSB? What happens exactly, do you see your USB as Destination Drive? Is your Source Path recognized at \\Target\LiveXP folder?

#117 BullDozer

BullDozer
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:50 AM

thanks for the prompt reply Amalux.

I am using the basic winbulder lx101408cx.exe. i would like to boot from a USB with RAMDISK so everything loads into RAM so i put a check mark next to BOOTSDI. everything else has a check mark as by default.

the ISO boots fine into RAM. perfect !!

so if the ISO boots into RAM from qemu, how to i get the ISO to boot from USB ?

question -
1. If I put a check mark next to BOOTSDI, does this created a bootable USB or will it just create the ISO.

2. If i use PE2USB, does this get loaded into RAM when booting from USB. i have tried BARTPE and booting into RAM but winbuilder looks and feels so much better.

appreciate the help.

#118 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

thanks for the prompt reply Amalux.

I am using the basic winbulder lx101408cx.exe. i would like to boot from a USB with RAMDISK so everything loads into RAM so i put a check mark next to BOOTSDI. everything else has a check mark as by default.

the ISO boots fine into RAM. perfect !!

so if the ISO boots into RAM from qemu, how to i get the ISO to boot from USB ?

question -
1. If I put a check mark next to BOOTSDI, does this created a bootable USB or will it just create the ISO.

2. If i use PE2USB, does this get loaded into RAM when booting from USB. i have tried BARTPE and booting into RAM but winbuilder looks and feels so much better.

appreciate the help.

Sure :cheers: - fyi, that build is not basic, it is the biggest and most advanced, which is fine if that's what you need but will take a bit longer to load from USB and require more memory. Anyway, BootSDI is already checked by default in that project so I'm not sure what you mean by 'so i put a check mark next to BOOTSDI' ;) but on to your questions...

1) BootSDI is separate option and can boot from many sources as explained before.

2) You need to be specific about what USB you mean; if you mean a USB flash drive then PeToUSB is the way to go; just select your UFD in the top section as Destination Drive and browse to your source folder here: C:\lx101408cx\Target\LiveXP

Should look like this:
Attached File  petousb.JPG   36.08KB   58 downloads

Note! ALL data on stick will be lost when you do this! Backup what you need first! :cheers:

After this you still need to do a quick edit to your new ntdetect.com at the root of your USB stick. All this is explained in the tutorial under the section More Advanced Options: Setting up a UFD boot disk and you should read it, all the links and info is there for you :cheers:

#119 BullDozer

BullDozer
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:53 AM

oh i was playing around with different files and got mixed up from the bais to the advance.
PE2USB just copies the files onto the UFD and makes it bootable, but will it put it into RAM so that when i remove the UFD, it will still function. i would like to have the files loaded into Ramdisk. How do i do that within Winbuilder

thanks

im still not clear what BOOTSDI means. could you explain what this is pls. from the section of BootSDI within Winbuilder, it has ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin which from my view are the files need to load into RAM disk but i cannot get this to work.

#120 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

oh i was playing around with different files and got mixed up from the bais to the advance.
PE2USB just copies the files onto the UFD and makes it bootable, but will it put it into RAM so that when i remove the UFD, it will still function. i would like to have the files loaded into Ramdisk. How do i do that within Winbuilder

thanks

im still not clear what BOOTSDI means. could you explain what this is pls. from the section of BootSDI within Winbuilder, it has ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin which from my view are the files need to load into RAM disk but i cannot get this to work.

OK, I guess I finally understand your question now; NO, afaik, you can't load to RAM from USB. There seems to be a break in the link that would allow direct bootsdi image loading to RAM from USB; others here can explain better why. This usually isn't an issue because a UFD/USB is pretty fast access, so you don't have the same delay issues as with a CD/DVD but unfortunately, you can't remove the stick while booted to it. Can you tell me why you would need to? Maybe there's a workaround for what you're trying to do.

I'm no expert on this but SDI stands for System Deployment Image which is a portable file format for XP Embedded images. See here for more info on that but BootSDI is a bit different; more like an ISO image loaded to RAM and again, others here could explain that better. Hope that helps :cheers:

#121 BullDozer

BullDozer
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

from what i have read from other posts, if the UFB is constantly being accessed , this degraded the UFD so by loading in as ramdisk will reduce this, i believe...

from BartPE, this can be done by loading the UFD as ramdisk and hence i would like to do this with Winbuilder.

I have found a work around with this
1. use PEBUILDER3110a. Build the PE per normal so that ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin is created withthin the build. test to see if it boot using ramdisk using the UFD.

2. use Winbuilder to build and create the LIVE_XP.iso so that it will boot into ramdisk also.

3. the contents of LIVE_XP.iso, all you have to do is copy that onto the UFD which you created from BARTPE and that will make it boot using the winbuilder into RAM.

somehow pebuilder creates the UFD bootable.

so im trying to find a simpler solution. any ideas ?

cheers

#122 BullDozer

BullDozer
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

from the script of pebuilder, i see there is a program called MKBT.EXE which i think makes the UFD bootable. so i will look into this.

#123 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

from what i have read from other posts, if the UFB is constantly being accessed , this degraded the UFD so by loading in as ramdisk will reduce this, i believe...

from BartPE, this can be done by loading the UFD as ramdisk and hence i would like to do this with Winbuilder.

I have found a work around with this
1. use PEBUILDER3110a. Build the PE per normal so that ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin is created withthin the build. test to see if it boot using ramdisk using the UFD.

2. use Winbuilder to build and create the LIVE_XP.iso so that it will boot into ramdisk also.

3. the contents of LIVE_XP.iso, all you have to do is copy that onto the UFD which you created from BARTPE and that will make it boot using the winbuilder into RAM

so im trying to find a simpler solution. any ideas ?

cheers

Well, I like the idea! I see some flaws in your reasoning but rather than get bogged down in what doesn't work (yet); I'd like to find out more about this BartPE that boots to RAM from UFD! I wasn't aware such a thing existed; can you give me more info or links? I'd like to experiment with this existing BartPE to see how it was done and if it can be ported to a WinBuilder/LiveXP build. Keep me posted if you have any success with this as I would like to incorporate this option into the tutorial for others to benefit from :cheers:

#124 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

Here is the old method
(and the good old HPUSBFW v.2.0.6)

Edit:
pe2usb.bin pe2usb.cmd and mkbt.exe are in the pebuilder3110a.zip

this old method does not use an NTFS .img just only a read-only CDFS .iso
so there is no writable NTFS %SystemDrive%
(nevertheless it is possible to use FBWF to make it writable
and nowadays found:
fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll extracted from winpe.wim of the newer WAIK
6001.18000.080118-1840
works fine in my XP based PE)

but the method almost the same as in the BootSDI method:
the RAMDISK.SYS from w2k3sp1 goes to system32\drivers
these lines goes into txtsetup.sif
[ScsiClass.Load]
ramdisk=ramdisk.sys
(BartPE always writes this ramdisk=ramdisk.sys so no need extra step as in LiveXP)
and the SETUPLDR.BIN from w2k3sp1 goes to the the root of the USB stick renamed to ntldr
and winnt.sif use:
OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=name.iso"
(instead of the line:
OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /minint /rdexportashd /rdpath=name.img"
what used in the BootSDI method)

Edited by dera, 06 January 2009 - 09:04 AM.
more info added

#125 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Here is the old method
(and the good old HPUSBFW v.2.0.6)

Edit:
pe2usb.bin pe2usb.cmd and mkbt.exe are in the pebuilder3110a.zip

this old method does not use an NTFS .img just only a read-only CDFS .iso
so there is no writable NTFS %SystemDrive%
(nevertheless it is possible to use FBWF to make it writable
and nowadays found:
fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll extracted from winpe.wim of the newer WAIK
6001.18000.080118-1840
works fine in my XP based PE)

but the method almost the same as in the BootSDI method:
the RAMDISK.SYS from w2k3sp1 goes to system32\drivers
these lines goes into txtsetup.sif
[ScsiClass.Load]
ramdisk=ramdisk.sys
(BartPE always writes this ramdisk=ramdisk.sys so no need extra step as in LiveXP)
and the SETUPLDR.BIN from w2k3sp1 goes to the the root of the USB stick renamed to ntldr
and winnt.sif use:
OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=name.iso"
(instead of the line:
OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /minint /rdexportashd /rdpath=name.img"
what used in the BootSDI method)

@dera, Thank you very much! Both the link and your notes really helped :cheers:

@BullDozer, I got it to work partly, your idea of a livexp.iso loaded to RAM from UFD but with some problems; ram loading is very slow (3-4x longer than with similar image bootsdi) and still getting good 'ol bsod 7b at Windows start up. I'm sure a few more tweaks will do it but too tired now, I'll pick it up again tomorrow... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users