#1 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

So here we go again -  a new build has leaked online.

We're looking for new and updated stuff, compared to previous versions of Windows.

I haven't yet installed (physically or virtually) this new version myself, but only browsed through the files inside the ISO.

So far I've found that the Calibri font has been updated to v5.85, and it's 1KB larger than the one I have in Windows 7 SP1.

I'm going to extract the WinRE.wim inside this ISO, and load it on my bootable WinPE USB drive, and see if there's anything interesting there.

There's lots to discover in this build, so if you guys find anything interesting, please post here.

By the way - this beta version expires on 2014/01/15.

Thanks!

• Brito likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

So far I've found that the Calibri font has been updated to v5.85, and it's 1KB larger than the one I have in Windows 7 SP1.

Well, I wouldn't personally tag that as "revolutionary" ;)

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

It seems the new DISM.exe is no longer a stand-alone executable.

It has many dependencies...ouch!

#4 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

SkyDrive is now much more integrated into the OS, as discussed here (German language):

http://www.deskmodde...-neuen-bildern/

#5 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

There is a new option for a limited user account, where the user is given access to a single (Windows Store) app:

Assigned_Access.png

#6 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

So, I've loaded the WinRE.wim from the new Win8.1 b9471 into my WinPE USB drive.

Seems pretty much like the one in Windows 8 b9200.

Some files I needed were missing from system32, so I added them manually using DISM.

Those were: recimg.exe, shutdown.exe, oledlg.dll

(Note for Wimb - WinSnap requires oledlg.dll)

Then I optimized the WIM image. Here is a screenshot I took after optimization was done (using WinSnap from within the WinRE):

CMD_Win8.png

P.S - The optimization of the WIM file reduced the file size by 2.5MB:

screenshot_10.png

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Integration with skydrive is not a good thing for those outside the US. Would be better to keep our data outside of these cloud servers that can be read by apparently every single authority and company nowadays.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Integration with skydrive is not a good thing for those outside the US. Would be better to keep our data outside of these cloud servers that can be read by apparently every single authority and company nowadays.

To be picky :ph34r:, some US (and possibly a number of other countries) Government Agencies always had that possibility, nowadays is when this is reknown.

The violation of privacy is not about non-US citizens or residents, according to latish news this not-so-trifling issue affects also US citizens worldwide, and also those residing in the US.

Wonko

#9 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wonko, do you have anything to say related to Win8.1 build 9471 (if you have it)?

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Wonko, do you have anything to say related to Win8.1 build 9471 (if you have it)?

No. :(

I normally DO NOT use (or abuse) leaked builds, I can wait until an official version is available.

Specifically, IMHO anything Windows 8 and conversely 8.1 related is either unuseful, or bloated, or crap or all of the three together.

I make a (due) exception for Server 2012 Core and of course for any well-built winPE 4.x (BTW, will we call PE's made out of 8.1 PE 4.1? :unsure:) and or any Windows 8 install which through EXTENSIVE tweaking has been reduced (or enlarged) to become a working OS (without the crappy "modern" interface).

I mean, I have always liked - since I was a kid - Meccano and Lego, and - within limits - Ikea stuff, but if I buy now a kit-car, I expect to pay for a kit-car, and not for an assembled car that I need to disassemble and reassemble to have it run decently (if not smoothly).

From what I have seen on the 'net the differences between the "Preview" and this "leaked" build are almost all - one way or the other - some added nonsense when compared to the already nonsensical enough preview.

The added ability for the Enterprise Admins to wipe remotely areas of the device is IMHO something (part of the more general BYOD nonsense) that will give hackers great amounts of satisfaction :smiling9: whilst the enhanced (and by default enabled) encryption will bring an end to the joy of many data recovery companies and final users seeking for their lost data ;).

On the other hand the Smart Search will make happy each and every user caring for his/her privacy.

http://www.infoworld...appoints-224715

BTW, it is "queer" how seemingly many "new" features have creeped into this build 9471 when compared to the Enterprise Preview which was released officially much later than the "normal" 8.1 preview (unless I mistaken the Enterprise Preview is 9431)  :dubbio:

Let's hope that the "core" files actually have some enhancements (useful in our PE's).

Wonko

#11 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Looks like the Mail app has been overhauled, and is now more functional: http://winsupersite....windows-81-mail

#12 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

They updated the wallpaper.  :)

I saw this on another site.  It involves the 8.1 boot.wim.  I haven't implemented it yet as i just found it, bit its a new feature to detect if you are booted via EFI or MBR\BIOS.

http://technet.micro...y/dn293283.aspx

wpeutil /UpdateBootInfo
for /f "tokens=2* delims=  " %%A in ('reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType') DO SET Firmware=%%B
:: Note: delims is a TAB followed by a space.
if %Firmware%==0x1 echo The PC is booted in BIOS mode.
if %Firmware%==0x2 echo The PC is booted in UEFI mode.

#13 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, halikus.

I always make sure to update both the regular BCD file and the UEFI BCD file when I add new WIMs to my bootable USB, so that I can boot the image I want in both modes.

#14 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

The new version of WinPE is WinPE 5.0.

Check out this comparison table between the various versions:

http://technet.micro...y/dn293271.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic