win7 pe3

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Win7PE
File Submitter: pscEx
File Submitted: 29 Apr 2013
File Updated: 03 Mar 2015
File Category: Sandbox

Win7PE is the first new generation WinBuilder project which builds a PE3 exclusively from a Win7 source CD.
No undistributable files are included in Win7PE.

The build is 'complete' including shortcuts, associations, etc. No shortcut generation, registry entries etc. are necessary during boot. That decreases boot time.

Processing time for a base PE having Microsoft Internet Explorer:
Win7PE does not need pre-expanded WIMs, multiPE and Win7PE_SE usually use.
  • Win7PE: on Windows host about 2 minutes
  • multiPE / Win7PE_SE: on Windows host about 6 minutes
  • Win7PE: on Ubuntu host about 4 minutes
  • multiPE / Win7PE_SE: on Ubuntu host not possible
Win7PE is a child process of WinBuilder and therefore depends on the actual WinBuilder status.
Win7PE cannot perform functionalites which are not yet provided by WinBuilder.

But Win7PE allways offers internal workarounds to provide the wanted result or at least to come close to them.

x86 SP1 source CDs are supported.
Every language CD should work. Currently tested is English, German, Portuguese and Chinese.
!!! You need the new WinBuilder program to run this project!

Brief documentation at: http://winbuilder.ex...in7PE/index.htm

Click here to download this file
  • Brito likes this

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

This post is reserved for maintenance purposes.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

And in order to make it clear that this is a new project you decided to name it THE SAME as an already existing project (since years) AND like most people often calls anything building a PE 3.x, i.e. a PE based on Windows 7 sources, and how the GENERIC board section for them is named after:

http://reboot.pro/forum/91-win7pe/

so that noone will be able to distinguish this one from the old project (and from the generic name).

A touch of genius, indeed. :frusty:

Sorry, I have to go, my new cat, which I called with the name of my old dog has some issues with my new rabbit, that I called with the same name of my old dog and with my old dog (that still has her name unchanged).

The good part is that when I go home and call "Angelo" aloud either of the three little furry creatures come to greet me...

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

For the record, I use this ISO of Windows 7 EN SP1 for testings the project: http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59183.iso

you decided to name it THE SAME as an already existing project 

This marks the start of a new generation for both an already existent project and builder. A very unique type of reboot happened today: http://en.wikipedia....eboot_(fiction)

:)

#5 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

So the new winbuilder introduces a new scripting language? Does it also support the old one?

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Billy-bob discussion moved to separate thread: http://reboot.pro/to...lly-bob-thread/

For future criticism of the name adopted for this project, please use the above link and not the present thread. This is cluttering the discussion and questions from other members.

Thanks.

• pscEx likes this

#7 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

I don't care about the name of this project. I do however care about the compatibility of the new winbuilder with the existing actively developed pe projects and the large number of existing scripts.

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

it is also curious that this project references a new winbuilder that is not yet available for download.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I don't care about the name of this project. I do however care about the compatibility of the new winbuilder with the existing actively developed pe projects and the large number of existing scripts.

Old scripts run well with the old winbuilder as always. They won't stop working unless the script project developer decides (once again) to change whatever they understand as API at any given moment to make his app scripts "better" than others for whatever "good" reason. 

We're not beating around the bush here. We are providing a lean and mean winbuilder that is way ahead of anything else published in this field. Retro-compatibility is certainly possible but volunteers are needed to make this happen.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

We are providing a lean and mean winbuilder that is way ahead of anything else published in this field. 

Seen from here it seems that you are providing right now is this script (and a number of other scripts) ONLY compatible with a "new" Winbuilder that has not yet been publicly released. :unsure:

When will the "new" Winbuilder be released? (is there a roadmap,or just an idea?) :dubbio:

Wouldn't have been better to distribute these scripts to ONLY the Beta testers (or whomever is allowed to play with the new thingy)?

Naah, no need to reply to the last question, though a reply to the first one would be appreciated.

Wonko

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Wouldn't have been better to distribute these scripts to ONLY the Beta testers (or whomever is allowed to play with the new thingy)?

Yeah, that "pre-information" is caused by me.

Besides others, a fundamental functionality of the new WinBuilder is to work with reboot.pro downloads.

I really became crazy by installing a development environment to "clone" reboot.pro downloads. Therefore I asked Nuno to create the  "sandbox". I'm sure that you are intelligent enough to understand "sandbox".

Billy-Peter

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

When will the "new" Winbuilder be released? (is there a roadmap,or just an idea?)

Initially will be made available the first edition to a small group of people interested in participating and gather feedback on some specific features that are still in definition such as the support for NVDA and the handling of automated builds. I don't know how long this phase will last, just depends on the collected feedback and effort allocated on the developer side to address reported issues.

The build part is fairly stable, some other parts like the download system require live testing as Peter mentions. Also relevant on this phase is the conclusion of the hook and UI support for app scripts where we want to collect feedback privately until we are sure its implementation is rock-solid.

Many of the concepts that we are introducing are a true novelty on the field of boot disk builders, therefore public availability is done progressively to ensure that we have enough flexibility to reduce, increase or adapt features as feedback from real-world usage arrives. 

I've closed the poll for people to manifest their interest in joining the first edition release. If you're interested, I would naturally welcome your opinion and presence on this group. 

For this new generation, we implement a text based interface as the default way for making use the builder. Simplified greatly the introduction of new features. I would appreciate your opinion on them before the public availability occurs, mostly to ensure that this text interface applies commands that are intuitive.

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

I've closed the poll for people to manifest their interest in joining the first edition release. If you're interested, I would naturally welcome your opinion and presence on this group. 

Thanks for your kind offer, but this is not something I am interested in or that I can provide useful feedback for, and actually not what I was hinting (just to be clear).

I was trying to suggest that just like you have (rightly) created a "small club" of "beta-testers" (or whatever) that have access to the new Winbuilder, you and Peter should also release the new scripts that work on the new builder in the same "private" area (and NOT publicly) to avoid confusion.

@Peter

Not only I know what a sandbox is, but I have (SCOOP! :w00t: ) a picture of how your one  looks:

Spoiler

If you prefer the "sandbox" should IMHO be only accessible to those Beta testers and/or the announcements of these new script should be posted in a "sandbox section" of the board not visible/accessible by non-beta testers.

Again IF the final scope is contribute to reduce the ever increasing entropy, if it is instead to increase it, then you are doing it right. :thumbsup:

Wonko

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

It is too much work to completely isolate the testings, no interest in prolonging for too long this stage.

Furthermore, sandbox is a sandbox. A place to try new things before general availability.

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

It is too much work to completely isolate the testings, no interest in prolonging for too long this stage.

Furthermore, sandbox is a sandbox. A place to try new things before general availability.

Sure, but you see, this thread is in "Projects", all the other scripts are posted in "Development":

http://reboot.pro/forum/7-development/

While *anything* in "Development" might be associated to "sandbox" or "experimental", something posted in "Projects" seems to me (but I guess to everyone) as a "final release" (for which the engine is not yet available/is still in Beta-test).

Please also note how the word "sandbox" was first written in this thread on post #11 (and only as a side note).

If it was written like this (and on FIRST post of the thread):

WARNING! This is an experimental project that ONLY runs on the new (java based) Winbuilder that is NOT publicly available yet and consequently the files are hosted in a "Sandbox" to make them available to the Beta testers.

we wouldn't be having this exchange.

Wonko

#16 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

While *anything* in "Development" might be associated to "sandbox" or "experimental", something posted in "Projects" seems to me (but I guess to everyone) as a "final release" (for which the engine is not yet available/is still in Beta-test).

I suspect that in a couple years, reboot.pro will further confuse us all by adding a "Project Development" section. :beta:

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

No need to use bold and red letters, I can read just fine.

I see no problem in this topic being placed here.

Thanks.

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

I suspect that in a couple years, reboot.pro will further confuse us all by adding a "Project Development" section. :beta:

Sure, that will go right under "Development Projects" in the main page ;).

No need to use bold and red letters, I can read just fine.

I know that you can read :worship:, I thought you had some eyesight problem, which you just confirmed:

I see no problem in this topic being placed here..

Anyway my point (if any :dubbio:) has been made, everything is cool, sorry for the inconvenience.

Wonko

#19 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

Downloaded latest .jar.

Went through First Steps no problem.

15:39:15 [COMMAND] config  win7pe

15:39:15 [ERROR] We couldn't find  win7pe installed, sorry!

So, what have I done wrong?

Well it seems that copy and paste from the Tweaking web page introduces an extraneous space. 'config win7pe' with just one space works!

Is it just the shell which is very picky?

Regards,

niche99

#20 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi again,

So I change plugin configuration and select some plugins.

I then type build and am confronted by:

15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin CD-Opera is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin FileZillaPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin FreeCommanderPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformCCleanerPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformClamWinPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformDefragglerPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformRecuvaPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ABORTED] Due to fatal errors project build was aborted after 0 seconds.

If options to configure plugins are supplied to the user then I should not have to install plugins one by one. If plugins are not installed they should not be listed as configurable. Alternatively, if plugins are listed as configurable and the user activates a plugin, can we not assume that the plugin in question should be downloaded and installed?

Regards,

niche99

#21 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

If yes, that should be fixed!

I'll check

Peter

#22 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi again,

Is it possible to have a command history activated by default?, so I can press up arrow and get the previous command.

Regards,

niche99

#23 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi again,

So I change plugin configuration and select some plugins.

I then type build and am confronted by:

15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin CD-Opera is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin FileZillaPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin FreeCommanderPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformCCleanerPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformClamWinPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformDefragglerPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ERROR] Plugin PiriformRecuvaPortable is selected to be added to the build, but not installed!
15:47:04 [ABORTED] Due to fatal errors project build was aborted after 0 seconds.

If options to configure plugins are supplied to the user then I should not have to install plugins one by one. If plugins are not installed they should not be listed as configurable. Alternatively, if plugins are listed as configurable and the user activates a plugin, can we not assume that the plugin in question should be downloaded and installed?

Regards,

niche99

These plugins are not contained in the standard project delivery. They have to be explicitelly downloaded, when wanted.

In WinBuilder type INSTALL <plugin>

To save some time for the user, a (unique) fragment of the plugin name is sufficient, e.g. "install zilla"

(INSTALL piri will show you a list, but does not perform the install)

Peter

#24 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

15:59:19 [COMMAND] install PiriformClamWinPortable
15:59:19 [RUNNING] Downloading and installing "PiriformClamWinPortable", please wait..
15:59:19 [INFO] D:\WinBuilder\WinBuilder\downloads\310-PiriformClamWinPortable.zip is not a valid Zip file

Regards,

niche99

#25 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

These plugins are not contained in the standard project delivery. They have to been explicitelly downloaded, when wanted.

In WinBuilder type INSTALL <plugin>

To save some time for the user, a (unique) fragment of the plugin is sufficient, e.g. zilla.

(INSTALL piri will show you a list, but does not perform the install)

Peter

Hi Peter,

I understand this. What I mean is that if a plugin is configurable but not installed and I select it using the configuration GUI, should it not automatically be downloaded and installed? I think it will make life easier for new users to be consistent. Plugins are only listed as configurable if they have been downloaded and installed, this will force users to find out how to use plugins. OR if plugins are listed as configurable then if they are activated, download and install them if they are not already downloaded and installed.

Regards,

niche99

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users