#276 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1214 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:45 AM

but my point was to get more and more off windows of what we do not really need.

#277 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15914 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:39 AM

but my point was to get more and more off windows of what we do not really need.

Sure :), and my point was that instead of posting in a public forum incomprehensible notes, you could scribble them on a (paper or electronic) diary and keep them for yourself, while if the scope is instead that of sharing your experience and achievements, they should be:

1) understandable

2) detailed

3) reproducible

:duff:

Wonko

• antonino61 likes this

#278 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1214 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:23 AM

I'll try my best; the only thing of it is what u find ununderstandable, I find it understandable (the only point I might agree with u on is names, I say whatever and u expect a definite name); what u find undetailed, I find it detailed (probably the poor naming contributes to making a detailed description undetailed); and what u find unreproducible (or irreproducible), I have already reproduced (of course, this too might depend on the poor naming). but I honestly do not think it is difficult to reach or undetailed if I point ppl to \windows\system32\ or system_32 or system 32 (it simply means whatever it appears as, it can only mean that one, because the other 2 which it can be confused with are \windows\system and \windows\syswow64. i.e., not so much of a similarity to label it confusing. Me, I am an empiricist, not a burologist, I go by trial and error if I have nothing else to rely on, which is most of the time if we consider statistics (what u know is infinitely less than what u do not know; it is a fact for everybody). Me I could not think of going anywhere without erring, and I do not thing everybody else proceeds otherwise, I might be much more prone to thinking that some might not like to see how they themselves proceed. anyway, relying on my patience and painstaking availability, I did not get any concrete request for clarification of one point, which I would have taken good care and pleasure to explain. 

#279 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1214 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

Another personal record - minimum used space now 2.2gb on my vhd, owing mostly to the following modded files

they are a bit sloppy and repetitious, also for including bits that woulda been much more appropriate in other files of the win_reduce list. I put them all inside these 2 files for 2 reasons: 1) I had already reduced the vhd according to all other parameters I could (see posts above) so I only needed these latest modifications; 2) keeping them all in 2 files helped me better trace those parts I had to backtrack on on acocunt of the few attempts that had gone wrong. All in All, I kept all functionalities of the previous versions, but I am still unable to get my wife's iphone visible on the drive panels, never mind copy photos and videos. My android phone does show up and work ok, though.

Attached Files

#280 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2287 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

Hi my friend, I will answer you in this topic to not pollute unnecessarily the VHD WIMBOOT topic.

About you post:

sorry, I thought he was interested in my vhd sizes and he once asked me for filelists related to them, not only in terms of vhd smallness, but also in terms of vhd largeness. there are also some software details. if it is not the case now, I will post it in get-alladafluff-out. one day you will pls explain to me why whatever u post is poignant and whatever I post is preposterous, just to satisfy my curiosity, me if I were u, I would check both the file list and folder list I posted for culprits, in order to stand everybody (including u urself) in good stead, but of course it is my humblest opinion. the only difference I can see about the nature of ur posts and that of mine is ur infinitely greater IT knowledge and experience. Anyway I will post it where u said - do not know how to delete it from here, though.

I will try to answer you:

I think we two, as old users of the forum shuld give the example for new users and do not promote the disorder (will all due respec to the forum moderators, and with the only idea in mind of make their work easier), and the best we can do is post our exeriments/experiences into our own topics, as a very recent example:

You just saw I had the idea to share my list of portables, and since the begining I commented that will do it in another topic, and I did it this way when posted my list of portables in one of my own topics, but as wimb commented he could get some inspiration from that list, I posted a link to the list into his topic.

I usually report all the test made in the new programs versions in the author topic, to let the author know if all is working fine in another environment or if there is an issue or a suggestion to improve the program making some adjustments or some times some additions or programs that could be included, always with the idea to help improve his program, and try to make it in the best clear possible way, understandable even for non advanced users too, that may read the topic latter.

But trying as much as possible to do not disturb the main objetive of other people topics. Of course, as a human I'm not perfect and it is very possible sometimes fail to follow this. And I apologize for it.

You know I appreciate you as a good friend, and my comment was made in a very friedly way, and with the best intention, and let me tell you, sometimes your rare questions (a little hard to read your post sometimes) make me think, and have helped me to find new ideas or ways to improve a procedure.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#281 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2287 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

By the way, It may be good if you take the time to publish your portables list in a way as I did, it makes thing easier for all readers, and I will be the first one in read it, very possibly you are using some programs that may be usefull for me or other readers too.

In fact now I can remove several of my portables that are actually included in System_Info, and I will have enough space for new candidates.
I will be waiting for your improved list.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#282 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1214 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

Thanks for ur good intentions, Alacrán, and I am sorry if mine look different even when they are not. It must be my karma. I do appreciate ur acknowledging my being of inspiration, and I wish I could contribute to a well-pruned list of portables - the sysinfo additions we have enjoyed lately have not led to a huge reduction of my portable list, which is variegated, as u will have noticed. My portables are the ones I have given y'all, preceded by F:\, which, wonko permitting, is the "volume" they are on.

#283 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2287 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

Hey my friend, you posted this:

here is my portable list

all of them reside in f:\portables\portableapps

Attached Thumbnails

post-69650-0-79192100-1637532643_thumb.p

post-69650-0-05005100-1637532651_thumb.p

Do you mean you only use portables from portableapps.com?

alacran

#284 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1214 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

Most, not all. Anyway, for order's sake, I always see to it that they reside in that folder.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users