#1 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

Better late than never. By now, I should already inform the folks out here that Team Reboot has set out to "Capture-The-Flags" at CSAW 2012. It's a whole 48 hours of journey of fun and enjoyment. So far, we have been able to collect 1000 point, thus occupying the 210-th position out of 484 participating teams in total. I'll keep you in loop as and when something interesting happens.

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Good result so far, congratulations! :)

#3 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

We are @ 191 bagging 1400 points.

#4 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

We are @ 156 bagging 1900 points.

#5 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

We are @ 105 bagging 3200 points. A new batch of challenges showed up.
  • Holmes.Sherlock likes this

#6 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Good work guys, sorry I was unable to participate in this event, I had a busy weekend. Hope to see you guys at the next one. The only problem I have is Linux challenges... I'd like to be able to get another laptop so I can run Linux on that. So i'm not having to dual boot, run in a virtual environment, or anything like that. I can run both at the same time without sharing computer resources.

#7 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

We ended up at #164 with 3600 points.

Special thanks and cheers to Icecube :1st: and Joakim :1st: for mostly doing the magic. :clap:

#8 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Those 2 names don't surprise me :) haha. I wish I had more experience with what they know about.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

We ended up at #164 with 3600 points.

Well very good :thumbsup:, but out of how many?
As you well know, I am picky and #164 out of 1204 teams that enrolled is a rather good result :fine:, BUT if - by any chance and hypothetically - the number of teams that actually took part and concluded the challenge was 164 :w00t: the goodness of the result might need to be reconsidered :ph34r:.
Where are the results?
Is it this one?
https://csawctf.poly.edu/scoreboard/
If yes, 164 out of 639 is not that bad but not as good as initially thought :(.
Actually there are 6 teams between 159 and 164 with the same points 3600.
The team that won made 8500 points (and actually 12 teams managed to get that same 8500 score).
How much was the maximum thoeretical amount of points?
However since many other teams before team Reboot have had the same points, the total number of "aggregate" partecipants is 75 (i.e. there are 75 different point levels).
Team reboot is then #40 out of 75.

:cheers:
Wonko

#10 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

We where annoyingly close to another 900 points. We'll see next time..

#11 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Another thing to take into account is that most teams work the whole duration of the CTF on the challenges while we didn't. Joakim was painting in the meanwhile, while I was working in the garden.
The topscoring (maybe lowscoring teams too) teams have another advantage. All members are geographically close together and most of the time even in the same room, which makes it much easier to exchange ideas about how to tackle the challenges.

From another CTF:

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Another thing to take into account is that most teams work the whole duration of the CTF on the challenges while we didn't. Joakim was painting in the meanwhile, while I was working in the garden.
The topscoring (maybe lowscoring teams too) teams have another advantage. All members are geographically close together and most of the time even in the same room, which makes it much easier to exchange ideas about how to tackle the challenges.

I see no need to "provide justifications" or "find excuses". :w00t:

It is not a bad result at all, as I see it :thumbsup:.

IMHO the "what if" or "had we instead" is a form of whining :ph34r: (in this case really without reason, as the result you had is a very good one)

Wonko

#13 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Where are the results?
Is it this one?
https://csawctf.poly.edu/scoreboard/

Correct you are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I.e. 8500.

The attachment might be of use (to better understand which kind of experience/knowledge was missing in the Team and conversely which talents should be found/added for next one).

Wonko

Attached Files

#15 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

The attachment might be of use (to better understand which kind of experience/knowledge was missing in the Team and conversely which talents should be found/added for next one).

Web being the weakest area and Forensics being the strongest.

#16 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Team is currently in the process of writing the write ups of the solved challenges from CSAW CTF 2012. We request board members to visit Team Blog, go it through and leave some comments, if possible.

#17 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I envy your motivation and commitment to these things Holmes.Sherlock :) Keep up the good work friend. I seen a few emails from the Google group, so I check into that every once in a while.

#18 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

I envy your motivation and commitment to these things Holmes.Sherlock :) Keep up the good work friend. I seen a few emails from the Google group, so I check into that every once in a while.

Not like that. :)

Let me tell you a few incidents from last few days.

Due to timezone difference, when I am done with my dinner, Icecube generally leaves office at that time. The day this HackYou CTF started, Florin mailed us asking to participate and expressing his inability to join with us for the first few days. Immediately after, I found Icecube online in Gtalk, pinged him while he was about to leave his office. As soon as he returned (took some 15-20 mins. or so), he came online and we played together for 4:30 hours or so. 700 points were earned that day. When I left, it was around 2:40 at night (my local time). I think Icecube got little time to take rest after he returned from office that day. That's "committment". Even, he used TeamViewer to access my machine (Belgium to India, quite a few thousands of miles apart) to solve one problem. With my poor net connection, it's a pain enough for him.

Coming to joakim. He's damn busy because of some urgency in office work. Yet, I found hime online yestearday even after hectic schedule. Also, even while in office, he asked me whether team neeeds any specific challenge to be looked by him. That's "responsibility".

MichaelZ, was busy even in weekends during CSAW. In spite of that, I found him to find out some time slot to solve challenges.

Florin, the youngest and silent-most member, apart from contributing significatly during CTFs, keeps an eye on forthcoming CTFs and informs us time to time.

Bottom line is, all these people make us a "team", Team Reboot is what we call it.

#19 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Not like that. :)

Let me tell you a few incidents from last few days.

Due to timezone difference, when I am done with my dinner, Icecube generally leaves office at that time. The day this HackYou CTF started, Florin mailed us asking to participate and expressing his inability to join with us for the first few days. Immediately after, I found Icecube online in Gtalk, pinged him while he was about to leave his office. As soon as he returned (took some 15-20 mins. or so), he came online and we played together for 4:30 hours or so. 700 points were earned that day. When I left, it was around 2:40 at night (my local time). I think Icecube got little time to take rest after he returned from office that day. That's "committment". Even, he used TeamViewer to access my machine (Belgium to India, quite a few thousands of miles apart) to solve one problem. With my poor net connection, it's a pain enough for him.

Coming to joakim. He's damn busy because of some urgency in office work. Yet, I found hime online yestearday even after hectic schedule. Also, even while in office, he asked me whether team neeeds any specific challenge to be looked by him. That's "responsibility".

MichaelZ, was busy even in weekends during CSAW. In spite of that, I found him to find out some time slot to solve challenges.

Florin, the youngest and silent-most member, apart from contributing significatly during CTFs, keeps an eye on forthcoming CTFs and informs us time to time.

Bottom line is, all these people make us a "team", Team Reboot is what we call it.

I wouldn't quite call that "responsibility" as he should be working instead, but I would say "dedication" instead :loleverybody:

#20 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I wouldn't quite call that "responsibility" as he should be working instead, but I would say "dedication" instead :loleverybody:

:loleverybody: :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users