2 replies to this topic

#1 stariron

stariron
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Not technically a request for an 'all new script' but clarification or simplification on an existing script.

I was wondering if anyone could help simplify the wow64 script that can be downloaded with Win7PE_SE project:

5-wow64.script

i.e. in other words, what exact files and registry keys are needed to get WinPE 3 x64 to run 32 bit Apps?

for example:

if I booted WinPE 3 x64 and ran a .bat file that included something like:

xcopy /sei c:windowssyswow64manifests*.dll x:
xcopy /sei c:windowssystem32*.dll x:
reg.exe add "HKLMWB-SoftwareClassesWow6432NodeCLSID{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" /v sComputerregedit /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f

or used some combination of regedit /e on a source win7x64 system and regedit /s on the target winpe system?

what would be needed to get it to work 'on the fly' i.e. w/o having previously included it in the winpe build?

follow up question - is there an easy way to include this .script when building winpe using makepe instead of win builder?

Thanks, in advance.

Edited by stariron, 18 January 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

not sure I understand the questions, but the easy one first...Winbuilder scripting and MakePE aren't compatible. Yes, you could learn what is being added in the winbuilder script,a nd possibly write a makepe batch file add-in, but nothing automated exists (AFAIK).

The example is a bit misleading, since dos level commands that run in the command shell may run without all the extra stuff. I think the WOW64 stuff is for more "complex" items...And as with many things, your mileage may vary. If you don't copy a DLL, and it's never called, do you care? So answering a MINIMAL question depends on where you set the bar?

The easiest way might just be to build (using WInBuilder) and x64 based PE without the WOW script, and try your bat file. Then add things if it didn't work...

So, maybe a bit more clarity on the question can lead to more clarity on the answer...

:cheers:
Scott

#3 stariron

stariron
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all. So, by reviewing MakePE I think I found the necessary files listed in:

MakePE3PE3_modPE3_addamd64WIN7_add_files.txt

under the subsection:

// SysWow64

I also assume that all the .reg files listed here:

PE3_regamd64*.reg

are required.

However, I must be missing something - as I added all the necessary filesfolder and installed all the .reg files via regedit /s *.reg
Yet, when I try to run a 32 bit app, I get:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

Note: The scratch space is 256MB on the winpe that I am testing with (i.e. wish to apply wow64 to), so I have plenty of space to add additional files, etc.

I can get 16 bit apps to run by simply running a script (or .bat) to add the necessary files and .reg entries.

wow32 script
Last Updated Jan 28 2012 10:57 PM

I simply need to do the same for a 64 bit environment for 32 bit apps.

Unfortunatley, the winpe environment I am wanting to add the support to is 'locked down' so I can't edit it prior to booting to PE.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Edited by stariron, 28 January 2012 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users