• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

Thinking some more about it. Rubber is always cold. It's not a foam, but on the other hand it doesn't need to be. It's bouncy in itself.
Question would be, if an elastic deforming case, rather than a plastic deforming one, would absorb enough forces to protect the HDD?

Seems about any case material conducts heat better than air. So any case, which has close full surface contact with the HDD, should be an improvement.

http://en.wikipedia....al_conductivity

:cheers:

#52 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

CCleaner works via runscanner; either portable or script.

Amalux: Thanks for the info, I will have to try it. :mobile:

Again thanks to this forum I have another answer.

#53 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

Sure :)

Try this portable, works in PE or Windows; if run from PE, redirects to host. Should work for x86/x64 as well .
http://www.mediafire...61yyd83ctmdmqk8

SFX is stand alone, ini file only needed if you want shortcuts on desktop/start menu in PE; otherwise discard.

#54 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:41 AM

Try this portable, works in PE or Windows; if run from PE, redirects to host. Should work for x86/x64 as well .

SFX is stand alone, ini file only needed if you want shortcuts on desktop/start menu in PE; otherwise discard.

Again thanks for the help
Downloaded the file and will work on adding it to the project tomorrow..

#55 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

If I wanted to just unpack files with imagex, I'd use 7zip instead.

Isn't it better to use imagex? I think :dubbio: it handles junction and links that 7zip doesn't.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#56 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

Isn't it better to use imagex?

It depends on what you are looking for.

I would like to avoid:
- Downloading a 1.6Gb WAIK (or use httpdisk)
- Install a WIM driver as administrator
- Solve conflicts if previous WAIK had been installed

For the purposes of building a full Windows, the WAIK is not necessary.

All we need is to mount a VHD file, decompress files from the WIM file using 7zip and then pick the ones we want to use on our full OS inside the VHD and set it up to boot from wherever.

So, 7zip is simple and works fairly good for this purpose. I just wish it was used more often around here. In current days I see how wb projects fail so much due to WIM handling issues.

#57 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

I installed it in the project I put together from this forum and it did work. My next step will be to backup the registry on my test laptop and do an actual scan to make sure it does not trash it. One thing I have noticed is booting WIN PE may cause an er-nous scan due to not all settings, files or drivers are not loaded. Will do more testing to see what results I come up with.

Thank Again for the info

#58 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

My next step will be to backup the registry on my test laptop and do an actual scan to make sure it does not trash it.

I've used it from PE on many computers and never had any issue but a backup is always a good idea ;)

Thank Again for the info

You're welcome :)
  • Brito likes this

#59 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:53 AM

pick the ones (from WIM file) we want to use on our full OS inside the VHD...

It's not an easy task for an unexperienced user. GImageX would be a lot more suitable in this scenario. :)

#60 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

So, 7zip is simple and works fairly good for this purpose. I just wish it was used more often around here. In current days I see how wb projects fail so much due to WIM handling issues.

Make_PE3.exe for making 7PE is based on the principle that you describe.

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23931

#61 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

It's not an easy task for an unexperienced user. GImageX would be a lot more suitable in this scenario. :)

The problem with gimagex is assuming you already have imagex available and working as intended. Most often than not, this is where current wb projects get stuck without a working result.

The user itself shouldn't even be aware that 7zip is used, all that matters is using a front end that gets the files in place.

Make_PE3.exe for making 7PE is based on the principle that you describe.

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23931

Yes, this is a very good example. Thank you for bringing it up.

:)

#62 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

wimb

I wonder, whether Win7 PE made with Make_PE from Win7 Ultimate install, will be natively bootable by Win7 Bootmgr after being converted to a VHD by known means - did you try? Its also interesting, how selection of the conversion tool will affect the desired "native boot" outcome of Win7_PE.vhd. :)

Anyone tried to investigate - what Win 7 Ultimate components (missing in other Win7 versions) make a VHD boot natively and be shown & mounted correctly in Win7 Disk Manager?

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

sambul
I did not try to run 7 PE from VHD

Something of interest for you is that I succeeded in having Windows 7 Professional booting from VHD.
So it means you are not limited to the Ultimate version.
For Professional you need to make use of WinVBlock or FiraDisk FILEDISK driver.

Tools:
AMD Athlon desktop with 32-bits Win7 OS (or boot with 7PE)
Use 32-bits Win7 Pro as Source installed on other partition and being offline.
Install either WinVBlock or FiraDisk FILEDISK driver in your Win7 Pro Source.
Make Win7-1.vhd with VHD_W7_Compact.exe improved with waitbt version 0.0.0.4 and using WinVBlock FILEDISK driver :worship:

http://reboot.pro/98...post__p__128716

#64 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Anyone tried to investigate - what Win 7 Ultimate components (missing in other Win7 versions) make a VHD boot natively

http://www.911cd.net...84

The image loads two drivers:
"Boot Bus Extender" vdrvroot.sys
"SCSI miniport" vhdmp.sys

Drivers are part of all Win7 versions, supported and licensed at Ultimate and up.
http://social.techne...f-f055b6a63fac/

I like this one http://technet.micro...WS.10).aspx#two

Windows does not support booting to a remote share or a USB flash drive, whether installed on a physical volume or from a VHD. You can boot the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) from a USB flash drive, which is supported for Windows deployment. Windows PE typically boots from either a Boot.wim or an installed image, but booting Windows PE from a VHD is not supported.

VHD USB booting is not supported. Luckily does works in real.
Windows PE from a VHD is not supported. Luckily does works in real.

#65 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

cdob

Can you link any Win7PE.vhd bootable natively? Any details about its making?

#66 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

link any Win7PE.vhd bootable natively?

Boot.wim contains a Win7PE.
Boot.wim applied to a VHD: http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__131133

#67 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:31 AM

I've used it from PE on many computers and never had any issue but a backup is always a good idea ;)

You're welcome :)

I normally use Registry Mechanic and it is installed on my test laptop. I ran CCleaner in PE environment and it showed some .net framework missing files which never showed up after running Registry Mechanic, that is why I want to do more testing. I plan on running CCleaner on the test PC and get the results, reboot in the PE envirement and run it there and compare the two results.

I do a lot of work on other PCs and mostly deal with a virus or malware removal, I had a PC with a virus that disabled the cd/dvd drive, Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes and the ability to run an executable file this is why I wanted a usb bootable Windows PE with applications on it. Registry cleaner is another tool I can use so do not have install one on the PC

#68 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

I like Registry Mechanic as well :)

I also deal with viruses almost daily at work and don't know what I'd do without PE to access the corrupted systems. Not so much to scan for viruses since I usually know what the problem is but for finding and deleting virus related files and fixing corrupted registry etc. something that would be impossible from the damaged system.

There are many great tools that work well from PE but they often work differently; sometimes this means they work better from an online system but when that system is unusable due to virus or other corruption, working from PE is a lifesaver. Once a system is clean and healthy again; the ability to create a backup image of that system and restore it from PE in the event of future infection (or other damage) is a huge time saver.

All of this applies to full Windows on USB as well as PE but I generally prefer PE for speed and convenience. Booting from UFD or CD/DVD is usually easier and faster than booting from an external drive; also, placing the PE image on the system hard drive with a boot menu option is easier (and faster) yet.

#69 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

I like Registry Mechanic as well :)

I also deal with viruses almost daily at work and don't know what I'd do without PE to access the corrupted systems. Not so much to scan for viruses since I usually know what the problem is but for finding and deleting virus related files and fixing corrupted registry etc. something that would be impossible from the damaged system.

There are many great tools that work well from PE but they often work differently; sometimes this means they work better from an online system but when that system is unusable due to virus or other corruption, working from PE is a lifesaver. Once a system is clean and healthy again; the ability to create a backup image of that system and restore it from PE in the event of future infection (or other damage) is a huge time saver.

All of this applies to full Windows on USB as well as PE but I generally prefer PE for speed and convenience. Booting from UFD or CD/DVD is usually easier and faster than booting from an external drive; also, placing the PE image on the system hard drive with a boot menu option is easier (and faster) yet.

Exactly why I looked for a better way to do this and with the ability to boot from USB I can update the programs before running them. I used to have separate tools on CD disks and could not update the definition files so had to update the disc image which is a big pain you know were. The PC i mentioned in my last post really pushed me to find a better way to do things and like you stated when you can not boot to the OS or run an executable file you are dead in the water. Like one of my bosses said to me many years ago "Work smarter not harder"

#70 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

there is a tool called " EZpcFix " , the version 2 of it (not released to public yet ) , has some special features to clean the junk from remote registry and windows installation .

i personally , use a code (using pecmd's scripting ) , which find and delete AUTORUN.INI from all roots . it is major cause of spreading virus .

then i use EZpcfix , to clean the remote OS . and after getting into that OS , i then run the updated " combofix ' , in rare cases i have to use dr.web .

and all this i can use either from my RAM.OS (live windows in ram ) , or from 2k3 PE .

#71 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

Exactly why I looked for a better way to do this and with the ability to boot from USB I can update the programs before running them. I used to have separate tools on CD disks and could not update the definition files so had to update the disc image which is a big pain...

We're in total agreement :)

Jfyi, it is also possible to update tools you're using from CD boot disc utilizing portable applications ;)

#72 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

We're in total agreement :)

Jfyi, it is also possible to update tools you're using from CD boot disc utilizing portable applications ;)

I have used portable apps Win 7 PE and had some issues. Google Chrome is one I tried and kept getting BSOD hard memory error and had to shut down the PC. I have had the best luck with scripts written from members of this forum and members like you pointing me in the right direction. I did run CCleaner in both environments and the results are very close.

Maanu has caught my interest with his post about EZpcFix,I will have to look at that. You can never have to many tools since some work better the others depending on the type of PC you are working on,

#73 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I have used portable apps Win 7 PE and had some issues. Google Chrome is one I tried and kept getting BSOD hard memory error.

This isn't one of mine so can't say what's going on; I've never seen a reaction like this from running a browser, portable or otherwise. Not all portables are created equal and very few are specifically designed for use in PE (though most will work fine); try any of the packages here and let me know what you think. I'm always looking for constructive feedback for improvement; please be specific if reporting issues.

#74 joedirt1954

joedirt1954

• Patrician
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

there is a tool called " EZpcFix " , the version 2 of it (not released to public yet ) , has some special features to clean the junk from remote registry and windows installation .

i personally , use a code (using pecmd's scripting ) , which find and delete AUTORUN.INI from all roots . it is major cause of spreading virus .

then i use EZpcfix , to clean the remote OS . and after getting into that OS , i then run the updated " combofix ' , in rare cases i have to use dr.web .

and all this i can use either from my RAM.OS (live windows in ram ) , or from 2k3 PE .

Do have a link for version 2? The developers web site only has the version from 2005 which is before Vista and Win7.

Thanks

#75 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Google Chrome is one I tried and kept getting BSOD...

This one tested working in LiveXP and Win7PE_SE and comes with a built-in updater.
http://www.mediafire...jq13j89gcd9q3ta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users