Germany

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

File Name: MaxResolution
File Submitter: 2aCD
File Submitted: 24 Apr 2012
File Updated: 18 May 2012
File Category: System scripts

It is a little component to manage display resolution automaticaly.
If you build your Win7PE only for one PC this component is not necessarily needed, the display resolution can be fix.
But build Win7PE for many different PC's with different displays and graphic cards, this component help to find the maximal supported resolution automatically. Usually this is also the native resolution.

Features:

- if run at startup, automatical search maximal supported resoution

- optional show message to break the switch-process

- detect if PE is running as virtual machine and skipped the switching-process

- as an alternative can be set for virtual machines a maximum resolution

- not recommended for CRT-Monitors

Requirements:

- none

-It is recommended to enable the message if the maximum resolution is not supported by the monitor. So you can test the resolution and skip the process if you not shure.

It is test with Win7PE_SE, but it sure works well for other projects.
Place the script in Tweaks
best regards
2aCD

Click here to download this file
  • Brito likes this

#2 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Hi 2aCD,

Thanks for this nice script, even without installing graphic driver it automatically switches to the MaxResolution at startup, 1280x1024 here with the standard VGA driver :thumbsup:.

There is perhaps an improvement to do for testing in virtual machine and if "Exclude switching, if virtual machine detected" is enabled
To not show in this case the message "Do you want switch resolution?". The change in this case is not done, as planned.

:cheers:

#3 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Please include Not recommended for CRT Monitors in the script interface.

If someone run Win7PE_SE on different computers, this script will be a very bad problem, heh heh heh.

Greetings!

#4 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi Chris,
I have update the script with removed message if VM detect at runtime. I have forgott this.

@u2o
Have you fest the latest Script (v5) with CRT-Monitor? I Have no respose, if it run to "Out of sync"

Regards
2aCD

#5 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

@2aCD
Note that you has wrote "not recommended for CRT-Monitors"

I am currently in a notebook. I have a 19-inch CRT monitor (samsung) in repair. On the pc where I have it, have a nvidia 9800GT, that taking high resolutions always sends the vertical sync to the hell.

Maybe today or tomorrow I meet with the monitor and no doubt I'll try your script ... and I'll tell what happens ...

#6 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hi u2o,
I'm curious

#7 Aeolis

Aeolis

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:I am just trying to learn and help.
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hello folks,

Excellent work 2aCD! I've been using it since first release. Well, I would like to report that the option "Add shortcut to Quicklaunch" is not working. Everything else works fine.

Here is my log file: Attached File  Win7PE SE-Win7x86_2012-mai-20_17-12.7z   193.04KB   718 downloads

Best regards,

Aeolis

#8 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi Aeolis,
thanks for your reply. I am glad that it works.
But I can't reproduce the problem with QuickLaunch. I think it's ok. The MaxResolution.exe is add in system32Win7pe.cfg:

QuickLaunch|Set MaxResolution|Y:ProgramsMaxResolutionSetMaxResolution.exe||

So it placed at runtime in

UsersdefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch.

But the Win7 explorer not more show the Quick Launch, only in XP it is used.
If you want add it to the Win7-Taskbar use the Pin-Tool in Finals.

Best Regards
2aCD

#9 Aeolis

Aeolis

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:I am just trying to learn and help.
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Dear 2aCD,

Thank you very much! Now I got it. I will use the "Pin script" at Final section.

Best regards,

Aeolis

#10 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

Very very nice script.

Not sure what's happened in my builds because it used to set the res instantly, but now there is a delay and then I get a small dialogue that says "? WTF ?"

#11 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Must of been some corruption. I've rebuilt and it's all good again.

Cheers!

#12 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

If it happens again, have a look at my recent post of my experience and what I did to fix.

_TmpImageXSysHive_ problem in Windows 7 host
http://reboot.pro/17177/

I had forgotten earlier but "? WTF ?" was one of the errors I had before I found the cause.

BobxT

Very very nice script.

Not sure what's happened in my builds because it used to set the res instantly, but now there is a delay and then I get a small dialogue that says "? WTF ?"

Edited by BobxT, 11 July 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#13 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

If it happens again, have a look at my recent post of my experience and what I did to fix.

_TmpImageXSysHive_ problem in Windows 7 host
http://reboot.pro/17177/

I had forgotten earlier but "? WTF ?" was one of the errors I had before I found the cause.

BobxT

As I said previously, I no longer have ?WTF? and other errors when using MaxResolution in Win7PE_SE since running my batch file after every build run..

However, I have tried running MaxResolution in my LiveXP 2012 -155 and now I get the ?WTF? error message. I have given up using MaxResolution in LiveXP because in the process of trying to fault find, I found a workaround for the problem I was attempting to use MaxResolution to fix.

I could not find anything in the logs and I must say, I am not sure what I was looking for anyway. But I have given up with MaxResolution except in Win7PE_SE.

HTH,
BobxT

#14 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hi BobxT,
I know, this message is not very meaningful. I'll change it to 'Missing WMI-Service'
I create a WMIobject to check if VM or vitual box is running.

$objWMIService = ObjGet('winmgmts:' & $strComputer & 'rootcimv2')

If is the object empty this message pop up.
Can you check if the winmgmts-service (Windows Managemeent Instrumentation) is running on your PE?

best regards
2aCD

#15 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi 2aCD,

WMI is available and is currently set to "Manual". (I corrected your spelling in my quote :cheerleader: ). I tested it by Starting the service.
I don't know how to test it any further.

HTH,
Regards,
BobxT

Hi BobxT,

<SNIP>

If is the object empty this message pop up.
Can you check if the winmgmts-service (Windows Management Instrumentation) is running on your PE?

best regards
2aCD

#16 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hi BobxT,
for testing, change the displayresolution to small (800x600) in running PE, start the WMI-Service and then start 'Set Max Resolution' from StartmenuSystem Tools. If you test in VM uncheck the Option "Exclude switching, if virtual machine detected' in the script.
If it then work?

#17 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi BobxT,
for testing, change the displayresolution to small (800x600) in running PE, start the WMI-Service and then start 'Set Max Resolution' from StartmenuSystem Tools. If you test in VM uncheck the Option "Exclude switching, if virtual machine detected' in the script.
If it then work?

Hi 2aCD,

I did all of that and NO it does not work.

I also forgot to say that when I click on ? WTF ? the screen goes to an impossible resolution of 6400x1200.

HTH,
Regards,
BobxT

#18 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Please include Not recommended for CRT Monitors in the script interface.

If someone run Win7PE_SE on different computers, this script will be a very bad problem, heh heh heh.

Greetings!

I used to set the Max Res on starup and was connected to a DELL 1909W LCD Screen and it set a resolution that the monitor did not support, so I was stuck with a Black Screen.

So, it's not just for CRTs :cold:

#19 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

I used to set the Max Res on starup and was connected to a DELL 1909W LCD Screen and it set a resolution that the monitor did not support, so I was stuck with a Black Screen.

So, it's not just for CRTs :cold:

I got this black screen once when I was testing on a very old Pentium 4 PC, now I know the reason.
The Pentium 4 displayed basic video on screen and showed the desktop but when MaxResolution kicked in at the end, the screen reported out of range. This was on a LCD system of course.

Perhaps we need an over ride function in MaxResolution like in LiveXP, where Ctrl-Shift-L sets video to a basic level in the event of a problem with video resolution.

Regards,
Robert Traynor (BobT).26 July 2012 13:04

#20 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I got this black screen once when I was testing on a very old Pentium 4 PC, now I know the reason.
The Pentium 4 displayed basic video on screen and showed the desktop but when MaxResolution kicked in at the end, the screen reported out of range. This was on a LCD system of course.

I can confirm this, too. Noticed this on a LG FLATRON L1950SQ, similar behaviour.
I disabled MaxResolution for the nonce.

#21 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

I can confirm this, too. Noticed this on a LG FLATRON L1950SQ, similar behaviour.
I disabled MaxResolution for the nonce.

As an experiment I enabled a 10 second delay. This meant I was able to test and/or cancel the resolution switch at the end of the bootup process. In my LiveXP where MaxResolution does not work properly, it now gives me the ability to cancel or test or both.

What is needed is a hotkey option to get back to a basic minimal resolution in the event you are presented with a black screen and/or a message from the LCD screen saying "out of range" etc.

Does anyone have any idea how this might be achieved..?

Regards,
BobxT
July 2012 9:35

#22 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

@2aCD:

Could you release a new version of your script please? Using it with ChrisR's Win8PESE project results in a message

"? WTF??" that has to be confirmed with OK prior to set the new resolution...

#23 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi Mikka

the WTF-message is coming up, if no WMI-Service with \root\cimv2 found.

If it then work?

I have not test, if WMI-Service is running in Win8Pe, I will do this at next time

#24 carloscape

carloscape

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    Honduras

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

@2aCD:

Could you release a new version of your script please? Using it with ChrisR's Win8PESE project results in a message

"? WTF??" that has to be confirmed with OK prior to set the new resolution...

Same issue on Win7PESE. After you close the window, it set a resolution not supported by my screen. I disabled the app script to remove the problem.

#25 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Some times ago in multiPE I tried to find the maximum resolution for the actual monitor. And I gave up.

Reason: Every (?) Windows functionality including WMI uses EDID data stored in the local registry. And "local=as build" registry EDID data are not very helpful, when you start your PE in a host with "unknown" monitor.

IMO the only way would be to use DDC to query the monitor directly. But unfortunatelly that is not supported by Win API, and for me a possible result was the time to develop it not worth.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users