#1 josfygor

josfygor
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

I was using Tiny PXE to deploy Windows 10, but i noticed that it only work in just one range of IP. For example: I am in a building that has 4 floors, and the IPs are distrubuited like this, first floor is 10.100.8.0 - 10.100.8.230, second floor is 10.100.9.0 - 10.100.9.230, third floor is 10.100.10.0 - 10.100.10.230 and the last floor is 10.100.11.0 - 10.100.11.230. Tiny PXE is on the second floor, on that floor all computers can boot via PXE, but, the computers on the others floors can't. I read about configure an IP helper in the router ou use DHCP delay, but i would like to know if Tiny PXE has an configuration for this problem, like set an range starting from 10.100.8.0 and ending in 10.211.11.230.

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 August 2022 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

What is your lan setup?

One big 10.108.8.0/22 (i.e a mask of 255.255.252.0) or one vlan per floor?

Regards,

Erwan

#3 josfygor

josfygor
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 21 August 2022 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

Following the example, would be like one vlan per floor.

1F - 10.100.8.0 (There's a DHCP here)

2F - 10.100.9.0 (Tiny Pxe is here, proxyDhcp is marked)

3F - 10.100.10.0

4F - 10.100.11.0

#4 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:57 PM

TinyPxeServer listens to dhcp broadcast requests coming from clients and "adds extra informations" the dhcp answer from the dhcp server.

Broadcast packets wont go pass VLAN's.

Because of each vlan probably relays dhcp requests to your dhcp server, i am not sure how to deal with that.

What you may try :

-run TPS on the same vlan as your dhcp server : i doubt this will work as dhcp requests are probably relayed via unicast to your dhcp server

-run TPS on your dhcp server (if your sys admin guys allows you so and if your dhcp server is a windows server) : i doubt this will work as this would mean "sharing" udp:67 for listening

-try option 66 on your dhcp server to point at your pxe server : that might be the most elegant solution if you are allowed to modify your dhcp server configuration

-setup a second ip helper-address pointing to TPS, for each vlan : elegant as well

-run TPS on each VLAN : will work but not so elegant...

I am not touching yet on the ip forward-protocol udp possibility...

Give a thought / try and let me know.

And if can share a log/trace, that would help (from TPS and even better if you can from wireshark).

Regards,

Erwan

#5 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

How ProxyDHCP works
  1. When a PXE client boots up, it sends a DHCP Discover broadcast on the network, which includes a list of information the client would like from the DHCP server, and some information identifying itself as a PXE capable device.
  2. A regular DHCP server responds with a DHCP Offer, which contains possible values for network settings requested by the client. Usually a possible IP address, subnet mask, router (gateway) address, dns domain name, etc.
  3. Because the client identified itself as a PXEClient, the proxyDHCP server also responds with a DHCP Offer with additional information, but not IP address info. It leaves the IP address assigning to the regular DHCP server. The proxyDHCP server provides the next-server-name and boot file name values, which is used by the client during the upcoming TFTP transaction.
  4. The PXE Client responds to the DHCP Offer with a DHCP Request, where it officially requests the IP configuration information from the regular DHCP server.
  5. The regular DHCP server responds back with an ACK (acknowledgement), letting the client know it can use the IP configuration information it requested.
  6. The client now has its IP configuration information, TFTP Server name, and boot file name and it initiate a TFTP transaction to download the boot file.

#6 josfygor

josfygor
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:22 PM

Hello, i tried only option 66 (i did nothing in option 67). I put the IP of Tiny PXE but it didn't work.

I'm on vacation now, when i get back, i will see if i can do the other options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users