#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Good :), and I was instead talking more generally, since a virus, of all the things that can happen is only one, a software issue/crash, a hardware malfunction are also possibilities, and as said a "container" is a "larger target" for any of them.

If you prefer, a "container" leads to a binary situation 0/1, On or Off, Black or White, data are ALL there or there are NONE.

A more normal filesystem leads to more shades of grey:

http://reboot.pro/to...lack-and-white/

i.e. often it can be partially corrupted (and then it can be partially recovered).

:cheers:

Wonko

#27 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Indeed, a container is certainly more vulnerable to being destroyed/made unusable by corruption, from non-malicious sources (software crash, hardware malfunction). 

Even knowing this, I'm not as good at backing up as I should be but at least I won't lose everything. Unlike when I accidentally managed to delete the last three years e-mails from google's servers :eek: . After the initial despair, I realised it wasn't that important and a clear out can be nice once in a while. Then I managed to recover most of them from the Thunderbird store I forgot I'd made a copy of a week before  :clap:

#28 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

With a virus, there's no reason why it would restrict itself to partially corrupting your zillion plain text files, rather than erasing them beyond recovery.

You apparently have no clear grasp at how different malware and viri in particular work.
Please read up on the topic before posting such nonsense!

#29 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well, I could add that each virus may have been engineered to a given scope, so talking of virii generically or "different malware" is a bit too "generic".
Here we are describing a particular virus or malware that is "destructive" on *any* file on a given filesystem, and even if we narrow to this subset of virii there are (or may be) tens or hundreds of different behaviours.

Wonko

#30 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Wonko, ever come across any virus, which will try to draw attention to itself by infecting each and every file, right off the bat?

A good virus works slow, so that it can spread to other systems, before killing the one it is on.

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Wonko, ever come across any virus, which will try to draw attention to itself by infecting each and every file, right off the bat?

A good virus works slow, so that it can spread to other systems, before killing the one it is on.

Not "each and every", but the recent upcoming of ransomware does that :w00t:.

There were quite a number of episodes a couple of years ago, but the virus was at the time dumb enough that retrieving/re-calculating the encryption keys was possible (and actually easy), the new flood is different (and dangerous :ph34r:).
JFYI  a (minor) Police Corp (Swansea Police Department-for the record) actually paid (in Bitcoins, another reason why Bitcoins, besides being senseless are also "evil") the ransom (consider how the FBI advises "common citizens to never pay these ransom but rather consult a "computer expert" :whistling:):
http://www.msfn.org/...-perfect-crime/

http://boston.cbsloc...tem-was-hacked/

http://en.wikipedia....ki/CryptoLocker

Paradoxically a non-mounted truecrypt (or other "container") as long as it has been given a non-affected file extension may actually be a good place to store a backup of the actual data.

Wonko

#32 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

You apparently have no clear grasp at how different malware and viri in particular work.
Please read up on the topic before posting such nonsense!

I thought you'd given up as you had nothing further useful to contribute.

Seems I was right about the latter but mistaken about the former :whistling:

#33 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Seems I was right about the latter but mistaken about the former  :whistling:

With an accuracy rate of around 50%, so that on average flippism could be used instead ;).

Wonko

#34 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 449 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

With an accuracy rate of around 50%, so that on average flippism could be used instead ;).

Wonko

50% is better than I normally do. So yes, maybe I should stick to flippism in future :loleverybody:   :juggler:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users