#1 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hi y'all,

just passing another great find along: Win95Cmd - an official Win9x-compatible version of CMD.EXE from Microsoft, even if somewhat beta.
Ive heared it supports command extensions with a few exceptions, but in my tests i havent found anything missing.
Limitations: Scrolling didnt work for me, as well as fimename completion, and it can only safely exited with typing exit, not closing window. Of course it doesnt match the processing speed of command.com.
The first 2 could actually be registry settings, i will look into this.
Sadly, its not HX-DOS compatible, so Windows GUI is required.

If you have problems with pipes: It references %COMSPEC% to walk through pipes :1st: , so it should be set to Win95Cmd at runtime (Win95Cmd /K SET COMSPEC=..). (Another unique MS workaround :thumbup: )

Download with different versions: http://cygutils.fruitbat.org/consize/

Edit: Reg-file to integrate it
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]

"AutoRun"="SET COMSPEC=C:\\WINDOWS\\Win95Cmd.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.cmd]

@="cmdfile"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile]

@="Windows NT Command Script"

"EditFlags"=hex:d0,04,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell]

@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\open]

@=""

"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Win95Cmd.exe /C \"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\print]

@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\print\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE /p %1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\edit]

@="&Edit"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shell\edit\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}]

@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\cmdfile\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\shell32.dll,-153"

Flo

FYI: Couldnt get the original NT CMD.EXE to work even with the KernelEx project. (I know i was foolish to even try :thumbup: )

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

Good!

FYI:
http://www.infionlin...atch/fixcmd.htm

jaclaz

#3 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

Good!

FYI:
http://www.infionlin...atch/fixcmd.htm

jaclaz

Really living up to your title "Searcher" :thumbup:
This was what i was looking for, more useful for the COMSPEC problem, and i could test filename completion too - it wont work even with CompletionChar set.
For the scrollback, i figure you have to resort to utilities like consize, which does work as advertized :1st:

Flo

#4 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

win95cmd has been doing the traps for some time now. There is a winnt 4.x and winnt 5.x version of this. It's also quite handy as it runs under windows NT systems too.

Another cute cmd.exe is OS/2 1.3 cmd.exe, which runs under nt4 and nt2k. It supports rexx scripts and using help in the VIEW.EXE style, but does not like starting win32 commands :1st:.. If you want the whole kit, go for 4nt.

#5 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

win95cmd has been doing the traps for some time now. There is a winnt 4.x and winnt 5.x version of this. It's also quite handy as it runs under windows NT systems too.

Another cute cmd.exe is OS/2 1.3 cmd.exe, which runs under nt4 and nt2k. It supports rexx scripts and using help in the VIEW.EXE style, but does not like starting win32 commands :1st:.. If you want the whole kit, go for 4nt.

Hi wendy,
im happy that youre here to give some OS/2 insight, ive never even seen it myself.
NT tools are fun until you want to put them on a DOS boot environment :thumbup:

One thing has been bugging me about win95cmd: The icon wont work in Win9x, i even tried renaming the resouce to a number with no luck :thumbup:

Flo

#6 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hi wendy,
im happy that youre here to give some OS/2 insight, ive never even seen it myself.
NT tools are fun until you want to put them on a DOS boot environment :1st:

One thing has been bugging me about win95cmd: The icon wont work in Win9x, i even tried renaming the resouce to a number with no luck :thumbup:

Flo

It's nothing to do with win95cmd, but rather how win9x handles 32-bit console applications. You get the same sort of result from 4NT or FCW under 9x.

32-bit console applications are run under a session of conagent.exe, when launched directly from explorer. The session running is seen from winoldap (which sets the icons) as a conagent.exe session, which uses an icon in that file.

If you want to use the icon etc, you need to extract the icon to a .ico file, and then run the program under a command.com session, eg command.com /c cmd.bat, where cmd.bat launches cmd.exe. You will get dos settings (including font sizes and icons).

Another alternative is to replace conagent.exe by console.exe or some other console proggie, and run the app under that session.

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

Another maybe interesting link:
http://www.serve.com/xywwweb/Go.HTM
http://www.serve.com...wweb/Go.HTM#kmd

leading here:
http://groups.google...&...&q=win95cmd
(LOTs of things to read)

jaclaz

#8 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:46 AM

32-bit console applications are run under a session of conagent.exe, when launched directly from explorer. The session running is seen from winoldap (which sets the icons) as a conagent.exe session, which uses an icon in that file.

Again thanks for the insight. What really surprises me that even the read-icon-from-exe and shortcut logic must realize the conagent connection.

Another alternative is to replace conagent.exe by console.exe or some other console proggie, and run the app under that session.

More explaining on this would be really appreciated :1st:

Im surprised as well that there is so much behind a simple icon problem :thumbup:

@jaclaz: Thx for searching, luckily KMD is just a renamed Win95cmd, same verison as newest on my site find.

Flo

#9 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Again thanks for the insight. What really surprises me that even the read-icon-from-exe and shortcut logic must realize the conagent connection.
More explaining on this would be really appreciated :1st:

Im surprised as well that there is so much behind a simple icon problem :thumbup:

@jaclaz: Thx for searching, luckily KMD is just a renamed Win95cmd, same verison as newest on my site find.

Flo

There is a proggie called 'console.exe', on sourceforge, for Win2k/xp, that allows one to customise the command prompt. There may be something similar for win9x.

Another alternative is to launch the proggie from command.com. You get a full blown pif file, for which you can set the icon, font size etc. This is inherited into any win32 session that the command prompt runs. You could then load cmd.exe from inside command.com, and the icon that you create for it would be preserved throughout. I used to do this with 4nt under win9x.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users