Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well, no.

Most among the current "tools" for USB stick preparing allow to directly boot to the install .iso, and in any case (and JFYI) setup.exe is so "old fashioned".

Meet winntsetup ;):

http://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v23/

:cheers:

Wonko

#27 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff.
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

So if I want to do the Win x32, how do I do it? Because I see that WinBuilder 082 only supports x86 and x64?

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

llewis, on 20 Sept 2013 - 7:45 PM, said: So if I want to do the Win x32, how do I do it? Because I see that WinBuilder 082 only supports x86 and x64?

Are you sure you actually know where your towel is? :dubbio:

http://en.wikipedia....popular_culture

http://en.wikipedia....ne.27s_towel_is

x86=32 bit <- the 86 is a legacy from the name of the processor family that powered the PC since it's birth (originally 16 bit) 8086, then 80286, 80386, 80486, 80586 (what you may know as "Pentium") etc. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

QuoteIn the 1980s and early 1990s when the 8088 and 80286 was still in common use the term x86 usually represented any 8086 compatible CPU. Today, however, x86 usually implies a binary compatibility also with the 32-bit instruction set of the 80386. This is due to the fact that this instruction set has become something of a lowest common denominator for many modern operating systems and probably also because the term became common after the introduction of the 80386 in 1985.

x64=64 bit (more properly x86_64 :w00t:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X64
And yes, if you want to find some senseless and/or confusing acronyms or abbreviations, the computer industry is a good place to look at ;).

Wonko

#29 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

And yes, if you want to find some senseless and/or confusing acronyms or abbreviations, the computer industry is a good place to look at ;).

Apparently! TIL.  :good:  Ok - see? you are awesome. I'm super slow at learning this - it's getting easier thanks to you guys though.

#30 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi again, :frusty:

Ok - I have everything I need except one executable standalone file. It's an .exe and I just need to figure out how to get it on the desktop as a portable app. My boss would like to NOT have to use PStart... it's a teamviewer client built for the company so remote collections could be performed.

(The reason why this is happening is because the person who originally built the WinFE kit we used left without documenting on how he did it - so that is why I'm so darn slow on this learning process)

So - now that I have everything else finally figured out - I can't get this teamviewer client I have to work. I can get teamviewer by itself - but not this particular client they want. Any suggestions? If this even made any sense?

Long story short - I can't figure out how to just get a random portable app onto the desktop without having to use P-Start. And apparently I'm too dumb to follow the tutorial on here. :glare:

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am evidently missing something. :dubbio:

There are TWO separate problems:

1. have the stupid thingy work (NO MATTER from where, the desktop, navigating to it's folder an double clicking on the. exe, open a command prompt and type in it it's name, *whatever* as long as it runs)
  2. have a shortcut/link/*whatever*  to access it in a comfortable way from the desktop

is #1 already solved? (prerequisite for troubleshooting #2) or is the #1 still to be solved?

Wonko

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

When PStart does not need any special registry entries, services, etc., this script may help you:

[main]
Title=PStart
Description=PStart will be added on the project
Selected=True
Level=5
Version=1
Author=Peter Schlang
Date=2013-OCT-21
Locked=True
Download_Level=2
NoWarning=False

[variables]
%ProgramTitle%=PStart
%ProgramEXE%=PStart.exe
%ProgramFolder%=PStart

[process]
If,Not,ExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%
Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Develop
unpack

[Attach]
Encode,%ScriptFile%,Folder,%pFileBox1%

[Interface]
pButton1=Attach,1,8,261,42,80,25,Attach
pFileBox1=,1,13,32,38,200,28,file
pTextLabel1="Before the first use you must attach PStart.exe!",1,1,33,14,354,18,9,Bold

[EncodedFile-AuthorEncoded-ex.gif]
lines=0
0=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

[AuthorEncoded]
ex.gif=1507,2010
Logo=ex.gif

Maybe this works immediatelly.

If not, I can help you to find the needed items.

Peter

#33 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

My issue seems to be in just getting the application on there first without the assistance of Pstart. I have pstart opening other programs successfully, I just can't wrap my flustered stupid brain around how to get the thing on there! Like - if there is a folder I can put it in, what folder would that be?
If I do successfully deploy it then how do I get it on the desktop? Really... I'm making this harder than it needs to be!

#34 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

OK.

Sorry that I misunderstood you.

Can you please explain the current issue with simple sentences?

Sorry, English is not my native language and I sometimes usually have problems to understand.

Peter

#35 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Oh no! I am sorry -

What I am trying to do is put a portable app on the desktop without having to use Pstart.

1. have the stupid thingy work (NO MATTER from where, the desktop, navigating to it's folder an double clicking on the. exe, open a command prompt and type in it it's name, *whatever* as long as it runs)
  2. have a shortcut/link/*whatever*  to access it in a comfortable way from the desktop

is #1 already solved? (prerequisite for troubleshooting #2) or is the #1 still to be solved?

Wonko posted this earlier and what I should have said was, "No, I'm dumb. Can't get the stupid thingy to work on WinFE, however it does work otherwise." So #1 still needs to be solved.

So first, where do I place the program so I may navigate to it on the winpe environment? (using command prompt or double clicking, whatever works)

Second, once I master that - how do I create a desktop icon?

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

As far as I understand now, replace "PStart" in my suggestion script by "<yourProgram>".

If that works, it will put an icon into Startmenu\develop.

When you replace "Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Develop" by "Add_Shortcut,Desktop" the icon should appear on your desktop.

BTW: Late evening in Germany now. I come back tomorrow.

Peter

#37 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

Wonderful! I was able to get the program onto the winfe environment and boot it. With the desktop icon however, I have to right click and open containing folder and then double click from there. Is there some way to have it automatically launch when double clicked? Which I was sure it should have if there was an icon for it.

Or, and this is just pushing the limits of my brain - is there a way to just have the program pop up and automatically run without the user having to touch anything? :dubbio:

#38 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

@llewis

Try reading this page :):

http://code.google.c...ki/add_shortcut

Try experimenting with the Add_shortcut command in the .script Peter supplied and that you already modified along the sintax that is documented there.

Wonko

#39 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Wonko - what would I do without you? It's doing what I want now. Thank you guys!

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Wonko - what would I do without you? It's doing what I want now. Thank you guys!

Well, what you could do, with or without me :w00t:, would be to post the exact solution/final version of the command you used (that could be useful to some other peep).  :)

Wonko

#41 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Or, and this is just pushing the limits of my brain - is there a way to just have the program pop up and automatically run without the user having to touch anything? :dubbio:

Yes, there is not only one, but several ways.

Unfortunatelly I have no time to explain before friday. That is normal with retired persons ...

Maybe some other member can give you some explanation / links about auto starting a task during boot with autoruns, autostart, registry runonce etc.

The best / possible solution depends on the project.

Peter

#42 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well I would post it, but I spoke too soon - it's still not launching correctly but I'm messing with it and if I happen to figure it out I will post it and hopefully help those who might have the same issue in the future. :crazy:

#43 llewis

llewis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

BAM! Got it!

[main]
Title=iConnect
Description=A TeamViewer client adjusted for FE
Selected=True
Level=5
Version=1

[variables]
%ProgramTitle%=iConnect
%ProgramEXE%=iConnect.exe
%ProgramFolder%=iConnect

[process]
Add_Shortcut,Desktop
Add_Shortcut,AutoRun
unpack

[EncodedFolders]
Folder

[EncodedFile-Folder-ICONNECT.EXE]
lines=1291

It looks like I am missing something when I compare it to other scripts, but it works like I want it too so I guess that is a sign right?

:poke:

#44 sreesesr

sreesesr
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

So do as Mr Wonko suggested in post #4 above and then download the file manualy.
that is if you want to give up your e-mail address and/or register on the
site so that you may download the file.

No need to edit the script unless the download filename has changed,
if so, edit this line to reflect the new download filename.
  %DownloadEXE%="AccessData_FTK_Imager_3-1-0.exe"   

WinFE_Win7pe_SEx64x68.script allows alternate file location for the download.
after you have manualy downloaded the file, navigate to the file using 
Copy AccessData_FTK_Imager_3-1-0.exe from Here: button.
and the script will do the rest once the download file is located.

I will see about updating the script accordingly
and/or contacting the authors for support.

Regards RoyM

When I do this the download completes and when building the ISO I get an unknown error when trying to pull from the workbench\downloads\FTK. When checking out the logs the script is trying to copy to the same dir that it is pulling from. I am guessing that the error is because the file already exists. Any thoughts?  OK, I think I got it. Had to edit the script...new download location is this http://marketing.acc...00f4/0/-/-/-/-/ for FTK Imager Lite. For the full version you have to register. Had to edit the versions in the script as stated by RoyM(Thank you!!) I was getting an error saying that Dir not found when building. This was causing failure so I created the dir that it was trying to delete and viola!! Also had to use 7-zip:)(thank you again) to extract the .exe to a folder and that worked perfectly. Thank you everyone!!

Edited by sreesesr, 26 December 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: applications, portable, script

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users